Anniversary Updates

Comments

• thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    I fall into the category of one who bought a Galactus pack, because the odds in the anniversary packs were bad. My 40 pack was great, but I was really wanting to add devil dino, which I have not been lucky enough to get yet.

I hope the changes to the next run are great, we gave up in round 8, so no one got the legendary, so, I can't wait to give it another go.

I just opened 3 anniversary tokens. 2 devil dino, I vision. I'd say a definite improvement icon_e_smile.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Wanted to update you all on some changes we’re making to the Anniversary in response to your feedback.

Anniversary Tokens
    Our aim with the Anniversary packs this year was similar to last year: a pack that we could give out lots and lots of tokens for. We increased the availability of Anniversary tokens relative to last year and kept them roughly comparable (higher odds of Iso-8 and Hero Points rewards, lower odds of Devil Dinosaur since many players already have all the covers they need of him), but that led to an unsatisfying experience for a couple of reasons:

Other packs in the game have gotten much better since last year, and the Anniversary packs are unsatisfying relative to them.
    It seems like most players would rather have fewer, more valuable tokens than more, less valuable ones.
    If this was the logic behind the original odds, why were they priced higher than heroic tokens beyond the one daily discounted token?
  • Dayv
    fmftint wrote:
    We’ll be aiming to make each individual fight against Galactus feel meatier and more satisfying, lasting longer than a short, predictable number of rounds for more players

Doesn't this contradict your explanation from other day? We're suppose to lose
    This is a good contradiction. It means they've seen the feedback that people didn't like their originally intended play style.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    AE_Fios wrote:
    Wouldn't it be fair to give everyone the Red Cyclops cover? Since the only alliances that were able to finish the event cheated to get there. I don't blame them, you set an impossible goal to achieve so they found a way around it...but it doesn't send a great message to every alliance that played within the rules and got stuck in round 6 or 7.

most of these are probally heavy paying partys so D3 can look the other way when they bend the rules
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Thanks Ice for the response, these all seem like pretty positive changes! I don't envy you for all the hate you're about to take tho... icon_eek.gif

Good luck and keep your head up, I really think everyone knows it's not your fault icon_e_biggrin.gif

His response on Friday was his fault. The response / reasoning in the thread "On Galactus (Game feel vs Ultron)" was responsible for a lot of the negativity that has been prevalent on the forums.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the update and listening to the feedback! It must be hard deal with regular negative comments, no matter what you do. (Let alone deserved feedback when something goes wrong.)
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    smkspy wrote:
    This event showed there is a huge disconnect between playing the game and being rewarded with progress. 2 stars help build up new comers, but they only serve as frustration for long term players and transitioning people. Even for new players a single three star is incentive to keep playing, I know I jumped for joy when I got my first deadpool cover early in the game, which became useless very early on, but gave me incentive to build up other characters.

We need a three star token category just like you've created legendary tokens, and the random 3 star that must be grinded in pve and especially hard PVP to achieve is the same as playing galactus. It just isn't fun, and sorry, DDQ is no substitute when my 3 Wolverine only gets another cover every 4 days.

I get this a micro transaction action game, but when progress seems impossible especially when it comes to events like galactus, it runs off customers both new and old. And that's what you want, customers not just players.
    They need to make token odds dymanic, they base everything else in this game off your top 3 characters, PVE baseline, PVP mmr, TU levels, why not token odds? The higher your top 3 average character level the greater your 4* odds?
    EVERYONE gets what they NEED!
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanks for the update. Hope Galactus 2: Electric Boogaloo will be less frustrating to play.

One more thing, though: why didn't Iceman enter the token pool yet, since you mentioned he would be added during the anniversary?
  • slidecage wrote:
    AE_Fios wrote:
    Wouldn't it be fair to give everyone the Red Cyclops cover? Since the only alliances that were able to finish the event cheated to get there. I don't blame them, you set an impossible goal to achieve so they found a way around it...but it doesn't send a great message to every alliance that played within the rules and got stuck in round 6 or 7.

most of these are probally heavy paying partys so D3 can look the other way when they bend the rules

You two have no idea what you're talking about. The same alliances you accuse of cheating probably know the ins and outs of this game by many factors more than you. While some of them have acknowledged using a certain method, others probably figured out that Hulk was the key before most everyone else.

My alliance finished round 8 and I am unaware of anyone who even knew about the method. Nobody is arguing with you that the event was a grind and that we were probably crazy for slogging through it, but there is really no need to hate on other players to try and get a reward you were incapable of earning.
  • ruyen
    ruyen Posts: 60 Match Maker
    IceIX wrote:
    We had two episodes where some players couldn’t reach the game servers at the start of the Galactus event.

As a more (kinda) off topic thing, sorry about the relative radio silence from me for the past couple days. NYCC was pretty crazy this year, really cut down on my ability to pop on here. I'll be back to relative posting normalcy tomorrow. Pardon the grammar mistakes in this post, trying to get it up using a chiclet with in-flight wi-fi. Yay for that!
    Two questions Ice :
    1. Will teams that got far into round 7 be given the Cyke Red, as they would have made it with another 8 hours of no server issues? Similar to the good-will compensation you gave on Ultron teams that made it far?
    2. Iceman. Where is he in packs for Pete's sake?? icon_razz.gif
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    Full refunds on health packs and boost bought during the Galactus event would help greatly cause of t he bait and switch of Ultron-like event to "suppose to lose" event. we already knew that if we tried and failed to beat Ultron at least 10 turns unless u accelerated bomb drops. all damage would be done to the Ultron meter. but to lose to Galactus in 4 turns down to 2 turns was ridiculous and was hard to do enough damage to him at all to do any progression.
  • theo199
    theo199 Posts: 79
    Are we seriously talking about car?
  • lukewin
    Dracodad wrote:
    lukewin wrote:
    In regards to your analogy, what part of Galactus Hungers was the body styling (the part that the customers love)?

I will say that many of us liked:

1. It was something new and somewhat different (new model)
    2. Galactus as an opponent is cool, as he is one of the top baddies in the whole Marvel Universe. (From a distance the styling looked good, like a cool new sportscar that you can't wait for it to make it to the showroom and bought it without a test drive)
    3. Well, everything else should get changed. (Once you actually drove it, you realized you were in a Pinto.....which promptly blew up).

Looking forwards to the new version and hoping optimistically that you can make it FUN, like it was supposed to be

If that's your justification, that means that we were all happy before the event started, when the preview tiles were up. Because that's when we knew what #1 and #2 in your list were. In his other thread, he stated that our expectations of what the Galactus event were wrong and the event was running like it was supposed to be.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    AE_Fios wrote:

You two have no idea what you're talking about. The same alliances you accuse of cheating probably know the ins and outs of this game by many factors more than you. While some of them have acknowledged using a certain method, others probably figured out that Hulk was the key before most everyone else.

My alliance finished round 8 and I am unaware of anyone who even knew about the method. Nobody is arguing with you that the event was a grind and that we were probably crazy for slogging through it, but there is really no need to hate on other players to try and get a reward you were incapable of earning.

Hell i really dont care who gets what reward if they play fair. Force crashing ummm yea thats fair . just like LINE when these groups are teaming together and telling each other not to attack each other, while those who dont use line or in their groups are attacked over and over and over

like i said who really cares anymore cause whos who find the loopholes wins

SO will round 2 still have the lockdown and if so RUN ANOTHER FREAKING PVE along the side of it
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    I fall into the category of one who bought a Galactus pack, because the odds in the anniversary packs were bad. My 40 pack was great, but I was really wanting to add devil dino, which I have not been lucky enough to get yet.

I hope the changes to the next run are great, we gave up in round 8, so no one got the legendary, so, I can't wait to give it another go.

No Dino?

Yo Devs, this guys needs an in game pop-up, "We're sorry you accepted becoming a Mod. Here's a Purple Devil Dino."
  • Dayv
    Why are the two simple words, "We're sorry" so hard for the developers when it's clear that most people who even beat the event weren't having fun.
    I'm less interested in apologies and more interested in being told what they're doing to fix things, personally. This response (see OP) is far more of what I want to see.
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    DayvBang wrote:
    Why are the two simple words, "We're sorry" so hard for the developers when it's clear that most people who even beat the event weren't having fun.
    I'm less interested in apologies and more interested in being told what they're doing to fix things, personally. This response (see OP) is far more of what I want to see.

fixing things and recompense are 2 great ways to make things better.
  • lukewin
    DayvBang wrote:

sg389.jpg
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dracodad wrote:
    Ice,

I will reiterate a couple of points I made in response to ur initial post.

Whatever you guys do, please make it FUN for those of us playing. Fun is something new, something cool, and more importantly, something we can feel good about. Please do not say, "Well, since X number of alliances used this strategy to beat Galactus, we better make sure they can't do it again". That's not fun, that's punitive. Instead, you should say, how can we ensure that more alliances have the ability to earn at least one cover for this cool new character.

I would ask you to consider making each round to be against one of his heralds, rather than Galactus. That way you don't have to worry that a martial artist, a non superpowered spy and a guy in a wheelchair are beating Galactus. I agree he is supposed to be unbeatable in comics, so why not just make the last fight against him.

Again, I would suggest you loan surfer to everyone in the final fight, keeping the storyline intact and letting us have the FUN of using a max character most of us will never see for years.

Finally, consider a reverse wave node, where we can send our heroes in as some fall, to take him down at last. In the final fight, letting us do that, and loaning us surfer, who sees the sacrifice our heroes have made and decides to join us, would be a lot of FUN.

Obvious key word there? Fun.

It's not just an MPQ thing but a problem with gaming in general. Everything is so geared towards differing goals like being cinematic or being epic or having a huge world or having visceral combat...that no-one stops to ask the most basic of questions. "Is this fun?"

There's a saying used for writers. "Is this the most interesting time in this character's life, and if not why aren't you writing about that instead?" The same can be applied to gaming. "Is this the most fun way to approach the design to this and if not why aren't you doing that?"

Take Just Cause 3 as an example. In JC2 a lot of eople had fun with the C4 charges but you could only carry 5-10 with you and finding more was a pain. So in JC3 what did they do? Gave you infinite explosives. People wanted more than one tether, so what did they do? Gave you more than one tether. The parachute s a fun way of getting around but it can be kinda slow long distance. So they invented a wing suit that basically allows you to superman your way through the world. Is it realisitc? Hell no. Is it fun? Hell yes!

So keep that philosophy in mind as a game designer. It should be the one mission statement everyone has. Have a big white board in every design room with three words in huge letters written on it. "IS IT FUN!?"
  • theo199
    theo199 Posts: 79
    slidecage wrote:
    AE_Fios wrote:

Funny how you look actually so frustrated! You really should have stopped at the 7th round... Enjoy your third cover icon_e_smile.gif