On Galactus run 1 (Game feel vs Ultron)

Options

Comments

• I'm in an alliance that is about to break into Round 7. None of us are happy with the event but we all agreed to go as hard as possible for the alliance and we're likely to do the same in the next run even if they don't attempt to fix this mess of an event.

This doesn't mean that the event is well run.

This doesn't mean that any of us actually enjoyed our time.

This doesn't mean that any of us feel that we are fairly compensated for our effort and resources expended.

"Everybody hates doing it, it's a constant pain, and nothing we get out of it is worth it in the slightest. It's a gigantic, painful waste of time."

"But would you do it again?"

"Totally."
  • thecakeguy
    thecakeguy Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm new to the forums here, but I'm not new to MPQ.

I'll agree with the majority of the other posters here: This event is not fun. The minion battles started off easy, but now they are wiping my team out. I'm having to use my health packs just to clear those.

The logic of Galactus being there to make us use health packs, then telling us to go play the VS events while we wait for Galactus to unlock again is baffling. How are we supposed to heal up?

The event as a whole makes no sense, as many people have said. Why not make us fight Silver Surfer (much like originally happened with the character when it was introduced), and introduce some new villans, like the other heralds of Galactus, like the Destroyer (which would be great for other events involving Asgard), Terrax, etc? That would have been far better.

So many missed opportunities in an anniversary event. This will make me not spend any more money on hero tokens. I found a great new game to play now that this event frustrated me so much.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What pisses me off the most about IceIXs response is that were supposed to lose, yet in order to earn all of the rewards were supposed to win..

I get Galactus is supposed to destroy us like in the comics but then why make an event with us facing him over and over again!!? I've said this before, u could have easily made an Anniversary Gauntlet with Galactus at the end of each of the 3 levels rewarding a Cyclops cover.. Reaching him would be the achievement and beating him would bring us the glory of a Cyclops cover!

Such wasted potential
  • I'm on day 500 plus. I have every 4 star rostered (minus 4* Cyclops). Every 3 star max covered. More than 20 of them max leveled. I'm a regular redditor. Have spent easily over $100 bucks in this game for the sole purpose of supporting the devs. Been very patient at what I thought was poor implementations of ideas (taco vaults being 300 items when you can only earn 10 tacos a week). Been in a top 25 alliance. Long time lurker on the forum as I've often (not always) found it useful as a means of learning strategy and also staying up to date about what's coming down the pipeline.

Someone asked what you (the devs) were doing to ensure the servers wouldn't fail us again. And other forum users came to your defense saying there was nothing you could say to assure that user. I bet that guy has the most disappointed smirk on his face. Me and my alliance debated how much time we lost because of the original server issues on the first day. Only to find out, that was the least of our worries.

You created an experience so miserable that someone who plays even more than I do in my alliance has quit.

You know what...

FCUK YOU. Not even gonna try to make sense of this ****. Ice's post essentially boils down to a big fat middle finger to us the player base for not expecting to lose every single battle. So here's one right back at you guys.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm grinding the HELL out of round 6, because after the stupidity and frustration of the last day and a half I will be damned if I let my alliance come away from it with just useless garbage tokens as a reward. They're getting Classic Cyclops if I set my phone on fire in the process.

The next run? ☠☠☠☠ that. ☠☠☠☠ it with spikes on and a ☠☠☠☠ in its ☠☠☠☠ and ☠☠☠☠ on a ☠☠☠☠ ☠☠☠☠ ☠☠☠☠ sideways. You could not pay me to jump into this again. If this was your goal then it was a stupid, stupid goal. But I doubt it was. You overhauled Galactus at the last minute to make the fight more "challenging," didn't test a damn thing afterward, and now you're claiming it was the plan all along. Bull☠☠☠☠.

Apologize. Switch off the anniversary before anything else blows up in your face. Make restitution. And maybe try again next year.
  • Whub Whubz
    Options
    Hey dude if we are suppose to lose can you think of some interesting game mechanics to make it feel more fun?
    Like if you match his devices it blows up for X amount of damage.
    Or a special ultimate nullifer trap tile that gets added to the board that does something interesting like stun him so you can clean the board up a bit.
    Or special anniversary boosts that adds +5 AP so you can push some buttons before wiping.
  • What pisses me off the most about IceIXs response is that were supposed to lose, yet in order to earn all of the rewards were supposed to win..

I get Galactus is supposed to destroy us like in the comics but then why make an event with us facing him over and over again!!? I've said this before, u could have easily made an Anniversary Gauntlet with Galactus at the end of each of the 3 levels rewarding a Cyclops cover.. Reaching him would be the achievement and beating him would bring us the glory of a Cyclops cover!

Such wasted potential

Y'know, now that they HAVE Galactus here and all....

Fear the next Gauntlet.

Fear it.
  • tmurf5387
    tmurf5387 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The funny thing here is. This is probably the ONLY statement that would actually piss the userbase off even more than it already was. They probably would have been better off with the radio silence. Thank you devs for defeating us, how about 40 iso8.png for your troubles.
  • And personally, I still believe the +1AP last minute change broke the event, and they're not willing to admit it. Would not be surprised to see the Red Hulk run have that cut back down, if it even happens at this point.

Ice isn't going to throw some random coder/programmer under the rails and go "Woops, yep, they broke it!" That's not his job. He's gonna instead turn around and paint the blame on us and our mass forum delusion of seeing Galactus' 2 ability turn as a 3 turn ability. And pat us on the head and go "Good job!" You'll notice as soon as the ability description delusion got pointed out, he promptly vanished again.
  • Jam_Adams
    Jam_Adams Posts: 486 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    good on you guys for making Galactus true to Marvel lore. Galactus is as miserable as i can imagine it is for those in the fictional Marvel realm.

you what else is miserable? war. i'm sure those serving overseas are miserable, as it's insane how those men and women put their lives on the line to fight all the bads.

but by golly, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and countless other games have found a way to make something so miserable as war pretty dam fun.
  • I personally don't mind the challenge.

That being said, for something that is so challenging, I should NEVER get 40 ISO as a reward for beating him.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Can we stop making these cover rewards alliance-only? I didn't merc out in time before the event, so now I'm being punished for staying in an alliance where I help new people. Why does my ability to earn rewards depend on 19 other random people? Why can't it depend on my own skill (or lack thereof)?
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ice, Ice, baby... first, NOTHING personal here. You're a standup guy, and you actually posted something substantive, and I appreciate that.

Second, I'm not opposed to an unwinnable node! I can think of many, many ways in which that can be made interesting. I'm not opposed to the concept at all.

But this? No. Just.... no.
    There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon). Or get your Devil Dino on when that starts up.

No. No, I can't, Ice. Do you know why? Because if I play the Galactus node AS YOU INTEND for it to be played, by the third round, at the point where Galactus is telling me to go rest, I have zero health packs and 8 completely downed characters. If I actually worked the node to max my points, those are probably my top 8 characters that are gone. If I threw sacrificial lambs at the node, I probably got 10,000 points for my efforts. But what I can't do is make any sort of sustained run in Black Vortex or anything else. I cleared the Kicksthatkicks of the world (all three pins) and IMMEDIATELY ran into maxed Storm-CapMav-Gamora teams. And nothing but. (Well, except for the occasional maxed Storm-Marvel-Cyclops or Storm-Marvel-Star Lord teams.) So I'm supposed to go play those events with my 9 through whatever-best characters? That's the INTENDED play style here?

And you know what? That wouldn't be totally objectionable.... IF there was another PvE event running. Because then I could just ignore Galactus and play that instead. Everyone hated the simultaneous PvE during Ultron BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTED TO PLAY ULTRON. Surely at some point in the design process someone -- anyone -- had the thought "gee, I bet not everyone will want to spend 10 minutes losing constantly and be left with a decimated roster"! No? Nobody did? Doesn't that sort of change the calculus with respect to a simultaneous PvE event? You'd think?

You could have had a dual anniversary event: Galactus, hyper-challenging and hyper-rewarding; and an anniversary PvE, with boosted rewards compared to normal PvEs. I think people would have been elated.

What you DO have is something where you DICTATE -- with no options -- how I can play. I have three choices: I burn through my roster, or I pay hard cash for health packs, or I ignore Galactus and hurt the other people in my alliance who want to play it.

That's not fun; that's not fair; and that's terrible, terrible game design.

And don't get me started on (a) the Anniversary token let-down, or (b) judging how "fun" the game is using the Special 2000 in the top alliances as your metric.
  • Ice, if you come back on this thread, I would like to know:

Was the original support page "leak" intended to be the original version of Galactus, and later changes were made and tested and not updated to that page before we found it?

Or did you guys adjust things on Galactus as we discussed strategy, and then update the encounter and the support page accordingly?

By all appearances, we were seeing changes on that page occur whenever we mentioned loopholes, (IE: StarLord/Reduce CW cost to 28, Elektra/Destroy All tiles, Psylocke Bewilder on Black/+1AP to all instead of just black.) and Im sure there's some grumblings of "Conspiracy" among the playerbase. Ive been tempted by it, but I also felt they were all good changes, the change that -broke- things was the increase to +2AP per cosmic.

By the way, Im pretty sure cosmic tiles still say they only feed Galactus Black AP still when you click them for their description. May want to update it accordingly.
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After following this thread since ice posted it (and has not been back to reply to anything) I do not need to reiterate the massive amount of comments for this huge f up...epic fail = wallet closed....I dumped $200 on this bull$h!t this week thinking anniversary would give back to the players...not only met with the lame **** drop rate (1 unusable 3* out of 9 event and 5 anniversary tokens) but a save face excuse " oh we meant to do that" gtfoh with that I might continue to play this game but I might alsocutmy losses... I got no shame in my game and have dumped over $2k since I started playing last January to get in a competitive spot but it would suck less if I were robbed at gun point as of now...guess we will here from you guys on Monday when you are on business hours....
  • I wonder if the 28 blacktile.png change is less "Star Lord would break the fight by making it impossible for him to win" and is more "Star Lord would cause the game to crash, or for his AP cost to loop back up to 2 AP"

That'd be kinda funny.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Yes, the gameplay is different. I'm sure most of you aren't used to going into a battle with the idea that you may well lose.

The game teaches you to win.

There was no reason this mindset couldn't have been communicated on October 7, before the event began.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Okay I'm in a top 20 alliance and most of us are not having fun. Please don't use us as an excuse why this event is the way it is. We play top 10 in regular pve also. So is that too easy also !
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It's gonna be so awesomely terrible if on Round 8 Galactus comes out with 'This isn't even my final form'.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    I wonder if the 28 blacktile.png change is less "Star Lord would break the fight by making it impossible for him to win" and is more "Star Lord would cause the game to crash, or for his AP cost to loop back up to 2 AP"

That'd be kinda funny.

Is it the hood also? If it was 30 still, hood draining 1 might work(cosmic tiles be dammed) but that is moot. Cosmic tiles and the process is laughable.