On Galactus run 1 (Game feel vs Ultron)

Options

Comments

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable.
    By the time this mess ended, I had lv395s across the board. Do you consider these "relatively simple", or was the event actually NOT "working as intended"? There's something seriously wrong with your design when the Galactus fight becomes the breather...
    Actually, something was wonky with the levels on my alt-account. It had been consistently climbing to around the mid 100s and then that last refresh dropped to levels 30-40. My main account was in the high 300s like most people.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Well, my alliance, like many others, I assume, was unable to finish round 6. I finished at second in my alliance at 630k, and was unable to even beat the later minion nodes. I got completely screwed by Galactus so many times in a row that the health pack drains from that, combined with HIGH HIGH HIGH level enemies, was too much to handle. I managed to get a Cyclops from a Galactus token, so I guess that's the one saving grace. I can hope for some sort of rewards after the fact, but I doubt we'll see anything.

If they don't do something about health packs for Galactus round 2, I think this event alone is good enough to hemorrhage players...
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Akari wrote:
    Well, my alliance, like many others, I assume, was unable to finish round 6. I finished at second in my alliance at 630k, and was unable to even beat the later minion nodes. I got completely screwed by Galactus so many times in a row that the health pack drains from that, combined with HIGH HIGH HIGH level enemies, was too much to handle. I managed to get a Cyclops from a Galactus token, so I guess that's the one saving grace. I can hope for some sort of rewards after the fact, but I doubt we'll see anything.

If they don't do something about health packs for Galactus round 2, I think this event alone is good enough to hemorrhage players...

My alliance too was unable to finish round 6. Based on the scores we had entering Round 6 (nearly 2 days before the event ended mind you), I'm pretty sure most of my alliance mates hit the same wall. I've got a VERY deep roster, and this hurt me more than anything else I've ever played in MPQ.

This felt impossible without cheating or gaming the system. "Oh look, if you force quit the game you can try again!" Great, except that 19 out of 20 times it didn't matter how many boosts I loaded up, I was still sitting 1+ AP away from firing any of my abilities when Galactus had 10+ Cosmic tiles on the board!

Then the Goon nodes would pick apart my best teams in an attempt to send 3 more characters off to Bovine University!

We got through rounds 1-2 while the server had over half of us locked out, Round 3 before the 1st 24 hours, and had nearly 2 days against Round 6. I'm sorry, but there is something wrong with this event. I didn't expect us to get all 3 Cyclops covers, but I did expect as many covers as we earned against Ultron for Hulkbuster.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    colwag wrote:
    Lopan15 wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    dr_nachin2 wrote:
    What surprises me is that is game is quite generous if not THE MOST GENEROUS game I have played, and I have played too many to count, related to premium currency and also characters/items/equivalent..

Future fight makes this game look like the rich man who drops crumbs on the poor and then complains when they say their hungry the next day.

Alliance mate told me try Future Fight yesterday. I played for 8 STRAIGHT HOURS in between galactus refreshes. Never ran out of energy. Never had to spend a dime on roster slots for the 16 characters I picked up in 8 hours. Still had energy left when I went to bed. Will definitely give them the money I had earmarked for MPQ.

Strange, that sounds like me as soon as I started playing MPQ icon_razz.gif

Prologue and 5 health packs, along with the many early prologue healthpack rewards, did keep me going at the game early on for quite some time!

It was actually pretty darn fun, fast and rewarding and junk until you hit the 3* wall.
    Unlike MPQ, that honeymoon period doesn't seem to end.

They haven't even hit an anniversary, they just had a 'well we hit a milestone player number, here's 30 bucks in currency over 1 weeks time' 2 months ago.
    Oh its fall? Hey here's the opportunity to earn 3-4 bucks in currency every day for 2 & 1/2 weeks, with a bonus 10 bucks worth for doing it for 10 of those 18 or so days
    Logged in today? here's free stuff
    haven't logged in a while? Here's free stuff
    Oh we screwed up? Here take free stuff and we'll fix the issue.
    Unexpected maintenance? Here's compensation'
    Gm's bored? hey have some free health pack equivalent
    Here's an awesome deal on the primary currency where you pay 3 dollars now and slowly get a 20 dollar value in it over 28 days time.

They're using some sort of snow ball philosophy and it makes paying weirdly appealing. Whales actually get perks the more they whale, They've though it out pretty well
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sadly seeing how many alliances reached at least 7, and how many finished it, don't expect anything more then a copy of the first post come monday.

All the claims of how unfun and nearly unwinninable?
    bam they beat it anyway. If it were unfun, don't play, if it were unwinnable wouldn't be beat.

I just hope cyclops isn't a required character for the simulator.
  • killercool
    killercool Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It would be interesting to know how many of the alliances that got to rounds 7 and 8 got there by heavy use of the the "force quit" technique.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    You know... I was thinking about the differences between this and the previous anniversary week, and the period when the Ultron events were in design/planning, and it occurred to me that there's one big difference between then and now that nobody seems to have mentioned.

Here's a hint:

sonic-the-hedgehog.jpg

SanicLoseFast_zpswxbkfmlk.jpg
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In 15 minutes I can play my first event in 19h. PVP didn't sync, no point in playing Galactus after hitting plateau for alliance and "progression", no PVE for 14! more hours.

This is the least I've played ever.

Double ISO when there's no event. 2*0=0
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable.
    By the time this mess ended, I had lv395s across the board. Do you consider these "relatively simple", or was the event actually NOT "working as intended"? There's something seriously wrong with your design when the Galactus fight becomes the breather...

That one puzzled me as well.....the first few rounds where scaling somehow was missing aside the levels of the heroes in those nodes got rather high. I definately had less issues with the ultron drones that, accoriding to d3 here, were intended to be harder than these relatively 'simple' nodes.

so unless you employed 'certain' tactics you'd end up using 3 health packs per galactus in most instances plus a bunch of health packs after pretty much every node...forget anniversary pvp...I don't have any healthpacks left anyway (even if black vortex weren't one of the most boring pvps around)
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    What with the combination of a failure to properly stress test and ready the servers for a hugely overhyped event, and having my roster reduced to only 3 viable characters that still need a combination of luck and creative exploitation of unintended game mechanics, this is easily the nadir of any free to play game I've ever seen. Losing isn't inherently unfun. Losing is unfun when you feel like you have zero agency, which is precisely what you have - apparently intentionally - created.

I don't know how you're going to regain the massive amount of goodwill that has been just been beaten, dragged behind a shed and set fire to, but you'd better get creative pretty quick. That post you put up? Not helping.
  • SuperBatPoohMan
    Options
    On the bright side. ...its Monday in the USA....so maybe now we'll hear something in about 8-10 hrs...lol
  • Hyposphere6234
    Hyposphere6234 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is my first time playing an anniversary event, I'm on day 282 and I gave up when it hit round four. I have a decent roster so far, there's a lot of levelling up to do but I thought I had enough fire power to at least make decent headway into this. I was wrong, by round three I pretty much threw in the towel, by round four I was wanting to throw my phone at the wall.

Ultron was a challenge, Galactus felt like a complete **** move.

This event has moved me from a semi-dedicated player to now being strictly casual. Keep your Galactus covers, I won't be participating in any future Galactus event's. I will also stop my monthly £14.99 purchases as well for some boosts, I'm just going to grind away for freebies from now on and get what I get (Looking forward to a load of 2*, which is all I got from around 20 anniversary tokens too. I need the ISO any way so it's not necessarily a bad thing.)

Oh yeah, happy anniversary!
  • Marvelfamily
    Options
    I forgot! Yeah! Happy anniversary! Hahahaha!

No.
  • Weltenzeichner
    Weltenzeichner Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Relative newbie's impression :

Ok, I read a lot on the forum but normally I don't write, but I think every voice counts on this anniversary event.

I'm at day 100, have a good 2* roster, transition into 3* (the last iso 80 rewards allowed me to fully cover torch), I can hit 800 in pvp and normally finish top 50 in pve. I've spent some euros on Hp for roster spots. I'm part of a casual alliance 'professionals', where we have 5 to 8 regular players and the rest goes for ddq and specific events.

Was I hyped for this anniversary after reading announcements and the forum here? Boy I was! And most of my alliance as well. We planned to invest time in this event and see if we could go for one cyclops at least. Did we expect to get all three? No never, we're casual and will aware of it. Did we expect it to be fun? Yip.

Was it? No. After we got stage 4 quite easily it got frustrating. But we kept on, made it to round 6 with 10 hours on the clock. So we earned one more token. And let's not talk about the drop rate from these Anniv tokens....

I really like this game, I enjoy playing it, I can deal with losing and not achieving my goals, but this past weekend just felt unfair and unrewarding. I got one 3* so far, rest was silverware, I do much better in regular events. So far this anniversary felt underwhelming, but maybe I'm too blame, because I believed the hype.... So next time, don't believe the hype!
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Was I hyped for this anniversary after reading announcements and the forum here? Boy I was! And most of my alliance as well. We planned to invest time in this event and see if we could go for one cyclops at least. Did we expect to get all three? No never, we're casual and will aware of it. Did we expect it to be fun? Yip.
    <<snip >>
    I really like this game, I enjoy playing it, I can deal with losing and not achieving my goals, but this past weekend just felt unfair and unrewarding. I got one 3* so far, rest was silverware, I do much better in regular events. So far this anniversary felt underwhelming, but maybe I'm too blame, because I believed the hype.... So next time, don't believe the hype!

You should have been hyped for the anniversary, especially because of the way it was hyped and the forum's excitement based on last anniversary. This year's sadiversary, is nothing like last year's anniversary. I remember being in a bar last year during the anniversary, and squeezing out my phone to play while talking to my friends, yes I can multitask, yes even while inebriated. That's how much the game made me want to play and keep playing, and worry about missing out since the anniversary was so limited.

I wasn't a year in at the time of last year's anniversary, so the amount of tokens and 3* covers I got helped me along a lot. This year is nothing like last's years. I actually played a lot less and dread playing, but did so to not let down my alliance. We had fun in spite of Galactus Hungers, because we could all unite on a common front, that the event sucked. Talking about the event was more fun than playing it.
  • SuperBatPoohMan
    Options
    Its craY how its supposed to be anniversary week...and there is only 1 thing to play....2015 pvp

Sorry to peeps who didn't get to play last year...it was really fun...this yr is just sad
  • Unknown
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've all but resigned, I will play this game on a casual non competitive basis from here on. It's hit a wall and the sheer silence and lack of actual decent dev response has completely ruined my faith in PQ. My wallet is shut pending vast improvements.

I'm gutted that its come to this. I truly am.

On the flip side I've started playing Future Fight which has restored my faith in Marvel a little.

And Walking Dead Road to Survival. So yeah, thanks D3 for making me go and find something better to do. I've actually ended up having a lot of fun doing something else for once. And all the negativity you've had on here......... you've quite honestly deserved it. Good luck fixing things, you'll need it!
  • I guess everyone was looking forward to the Galactus event. So was I, counted down the hours to event start. And here we go ... servercrash (feels like the Ultron event).
    Forumcheck, alliancechat and Linemessanger... what happend? Back to topic, here we go again. Going to the first couple of rounds was pretty quick and easy, but wait,
    does the eventtimer really say i have to get up in the middle of the night to do my 8 hour shifts and get as much points as possible? I'm living in europe, who cares about
    reallife, work, etc. It's MPQ Anniversary! Hooray icon_mrgreen.gif

Time to find out that quite a lot hero's are locked for the essential nodes. If Galactus comes to desroy the entire world, shouldn't be everyone in to defend this evil?! Idk.
    I guess not, maybe there was something more important to do, like vacation or counting their money icon_e_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif .

Back to battle, finally reached round 5... We're getting now 3x 2turn CDtiles, each turns to 4 Galactus tiles which will each gives Galactus 4 tiles of every color... really?
    Long story short, if i don't match multiple cascades in my first 2 turns, the battle is lost and also 3 healthpacks and some boosts i may have used. Not only that i didn't
    get barely any points, now i face the next essential node (round 5) which costs me even more healthpacks, only to see Galactus again. Finish him this time? Not at all, again.
    Once i got a lucky board and finish him off, i finally got those anniversary tokens and yes! double iso... ohh i did, got 40 iso instead of 20. Now we're doing progress...
    Let's open all this anniversary tokens and get only 2*, really? No way, lucky me, picked a 3* out of a standard token from essential node. Hooray icon_mrgreen.gif
    Can't wait for round 6 and higher, guess there is the good stuff coming from... icon_rolleyes.gif

The bottom line is that i just screwed it up myself, cause there was a SALE going on and i just didn't bought enough... blame me!

Well done D3 and Happy Anniversary... can't wait for the next year. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • madsalad
    madsalad Posts: 815 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Day 507 here (though I should be in the 600s after going on a multi-month hiatus after Ultron due to burnout). I've been here from pretty early one is all I'm saying.

I did enjoy Galactus. I enjoyed the gameplay mechanic but its execution left a little to be desired. The mechanic is a good one but it happens too fast. There is almost no chance to build up a head of steam against G unless you use 6 boosts, the right team and have good board position to start. So many things could have been changed to actually lengthen the battle time against Galactus to make players at least feel like they were accomplishing something rather than getting all ramped up to get into the battle and then being turned into a grease spot after turn 4 having only done 2000 damage. Lengthen countdowns, double Galactus' health (and also increase all the milestone and levels too, but maybe might not by double), increase the amount of AP it takes for G to fire of a 1M pt. damage ray, etc... Even if it is all an illusion, at least players would get a little more screen time with the big guy and feel like more of an accomplishment rather than "well, that was a fun two minutes, back to fighting 23K Gorgon...".

I was the highest ranking player in my alliance and I only hit 900K. I averaged at least 3 clears for G every round. My go-to team for beating G was 3* Mags (maxed), X-Force Wolvie (192) and Loki (maxed). I used 6 boosts every round (2 Blue/Purple, 2 Black/Green and 2 Red/Yellow) and prayed to RNGesus for good opening board position to get at least one or two turns to fill out my purple, blue or red. Most of the players in my my alliance became completely discouraged after Round 4 (though we made it half way through Round 6 - so close but so far away from 4* Cyc). We have all ranges of players in my alliance but the next closest to me hit only 600K and has a very similar roster to me and has been playing just as long. We had a few people in 500K and then a precipitous dropoff to the 200K range. This was touted as an "alliance battle" akin to Ultron but with Ultron, most levels of players were able to get in there and do some decent damage before the bombs hit, or had time to match them away and increase the length of battle, etc... People were not nearly as discouraged as this time around.

I won't even get into the decrease pull rates on tokens, how paltry the rewards were during the even (40 ISO anyone?) and the overall letdown the rest of this two year anniversary has been feeling so far.

Kudos on making an interesting mechanic. Now, get someone who knows game theory and how to keep players happy/on the hook and get this stuff tested out beforehand next time.

Oh, and actually communicate to your player base before the launch of a massive event like this. I had no idea what to expect going in. If I knew that a new round didn't clear nodes, our alliance may have approached this a litlte differently (like letting the lower levels of the alliance clear the first two or three rounds and then let the heavy hitters start on Round 4, since rounds 1, 2 and 3 were cleared pretty quickly - barring the people who had connection issues).
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'll just go ahead and add another voice here.

The only reason I played this event was because my alliance counted on it. The Galactus event soured me to the point I couldn't even bring myself to finish all the DDQ nodes.

My hard work netted me 2 anniversary tokens and 25 HP. Comical.