On Galactus run 1 (Game feel vs Ultron)

Options

Comments

• Like I said from the very beginning.

This event was created to sell health packs and line D3's pockets with more money. This is why I didn't spend a Dime on them.

Follow #MoneyGrubbingWhores on twitter.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KingSlamma wrote:
    Like I said from the very beginning.

This event was created to sell health packs and line D3's pockets with more money. This is why I didn't spend a Dime on them.

i 100% think that all this anger could have been avoided by simply addressing this concern right here.

If your characters were killed by the 1million damage power.. the round is over.. but your characters are left where they were when you entered the round.

Basically, turning your roster into loaners for the big battle. health packs still needed if you lost an essential fight.. But the big node, if they had it so that one didn't make us use 3 health packs at a time, i have a feeling much of this ire would have been pushed aside.

If we are supposed to lose, which i actually understand a bit... Then keep the penalty for the loss to a minimum.
  • That would deffo go a long way to soothing the irritation!
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    KingSlamma wrote:

i 100% think that all this anger could have been avoided by simply addressing this concern right here.

If your characters were killed by the 1million damage power.. the round is over.. but your characters are left where they were when you entered the round.

Basically, turning your roster into loaners for the big battle. health packs still needed if you lost an essential fight.. But the big node, if they had it so that one didn't make us use 3 health packs at a time, i have a feeling much of this ire would have been pushed aside.

If we are supposed to lose, which i actually understand a bit... Then keep the penalty for the loss to a minimum.

This would have gone a long way, but there's one other glaring fault in the logic of the whole event. If we're supposed to lose, why are all the rewards placed at progression numbers that require us to win?
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    KingSlamma wrote:

This would have gone a long way, but there's one other glaring fault in the logic of the whole event. If we're supposed to lose, why are all the rewards placed at progression numbers that require us to win?

And this is the bigger issue, imo. Now the event is over and I can see where my alliance fell. None of us hit HT. Not one. One person barely hit the 2000 iso.

Considering this sapped all my time and a bit chunk of my packs, it also screwed up my PvP scores. The rewards were not even close to in-line with the effort.
  • Kyllian
    Kyllian Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think the biggest flaw with this event, was not it's structure, rewards, or playstyle!
    This outrage could have been avoiding if D3 did one simply thing! Inform the players on how the event would play out.
    If they stated that players were deliberatly expected to loose against Galactus almost everytime, that it would require health packs and patience to achieve the progression rewards, etc, we would not reacted so bad.

What baffles me, is that they know communication is essential!! Even after all the previous outrages due to bad PR, they still haven't learned...
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    Options
    No. It is obvious from the reward structure that winning was required. If losing was the intent, they should have had at least 3x the number of progression rewards and at lot more (and better) rewards for the nodes.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    He's not going to be stopped by gnats. Iron Fist punching him in the toe isn't very painful. So he gets bored and swats them away. In game terms, this means that players are going to be beaten. Winning a round against Galactus is an achievement. You're supposed to lose. Every time you do, you're still chipping away at his life. It's an exercise in damage in aggregate. Over the 3.5 days, hitting him over and over to finally bring down the big bad is somewhat slow, but certainly effective.

I get what you were going for here, I really do. That isn't fun to play though, it's demoralizing. Every loss is not only a handful of healthpacks, it's also a missed reward and not-as-much-progress toward the final goal as the player thought they'd make. The bright side is so slim it's hard to see, especially when sometimes that bright side is "Hey, I managed to do 4 rounds of match damage against him before being wiped out".

And the "story" elements? That only works if there's a dramatic turn of events where our heroes win in the end, against all possible odds. That won't happen. Our heroes will be beaten, and beaten, and swatted away like gnats, then Galactus will vanish, leaving the player dejected and angry.
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wow up to page 27 already, not a surprise but wow....

After sifting through the various threads, and this one, the overall consensus is that no one had fun. I personally reached the legendary token as well as 2 other members of my alliance and we were in round 8, not enough time to complete it although one of our sister alliances managed to do it (still waiting for their red Cyc covers though 9 hours after the event ended...strange), none of us had "fun" reaching these goals, simply bogged through it to help alliance rank and gain what rewards we could, including the atrocity of gaining 40iso or a crit boost for your efforts....still. not. fun.

I would like to rehash these token pull percentages which are ****, I have cashed in over 25 tokens already and managed to pull one (1, uno) 4* cover, 4 3* covers (unusable but meh, that is what happens when you have pretty much all 3* covers), and the rest were, you guessed it 2*. I cashed in the 5 anniversary tokens I earned from Vortex this morning and 2 were the 3*'s mentioned above (I was planning on hoarding them but I wanted to grab the daily deal for 50 hp so I cashed in). I was not around for last years event but many have said the pull rates were very good especially for D Dino. Aside from the two 5*'s he is the only char that is missing from my roster. I understand he is only available from anniversary tokens and the 365 day mark (I am on day 288) so I was really hoping to get him rostered during this time, especially since he is the featured 4* for DDQ this week. Since he is rarely offered I figured this would be my shot but even with his "increased" odds I have yet to pull even one from approximately 13 tokens....again, happy anniversary indeed....
  • 9fingers
    9fingers Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I enjoyed it! Except for being unable to get logged in til round 4 that was annoying. I liked that you had to figure out a strategy to beat galactus but I think his count down tiles are 1 turn too short - that required luck to win then.

I don't like that hulk is boosted for the next round as essentially, as Daveomite says, it is a hp suck and now will just require pure luck to win.

I do think it was better than Ultron in that it didn't crash once I'd got in but Ultron was easier to fight.

Perhaps an event where people are meant to lose isn't as exciting as the devs thought it'd be...

All in all, for D3, it was successful.
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    So now the real question... Anniversary Vault, or draw tokens?
    Both Galactus and Anniversary are currently planned on being standard comic packs instead of Vaults. We figure that more people want to go for Devil Dino and the like, so making a locked Vault (even if it's a 0 cost reset) is more annoyance in this case than the surety you get from clearing a given Vault.

Knowing the draw rates now, I'd say its sufficient to say that this was wrong. :p
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon).

This statement implies Galactus 2 will be running along side Simulator, yet many are saying Thursday, please confirm one the other
  • Chief270
    Chief270 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm hoping the delay was not planned and that they are taking the opportunity to make adjustments.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Chief270 wrote:
    I'm hoping the delay was not planned and that they are taking the opportunity to make adjustments.
    I don't think they are even back in the office yet from their relaxing weekend.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    KingSlamma wrote:

And give us a real reward for beating Galactus in the later rounds. Being rewarded 40 ISO (yay double!) for beating something that's supposed to be a real "accomplishment" isn't terribly awesome.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon).

This statement implies Galactus 2 will be running along side Simulator, yet many are saying Thursday, please confirm one the other

Jamie Madrox said Thursday, 15th. So it will coincide with grind time for Simulator
    S4 and maybe S5 time slices. S1 and S2 will be over by the time it starts.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,049 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    lukewin wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

Jamie Madrox said Thursday, 15th. So it will coincide with grind time for Simulator

so we have another 4 days of pure **** with nothing to play cause it will have 8 hour lockdown...So glad i will never give another penny to this joke of a company,.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    lukewin wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

Jamie is a mod, but not an official source. Additionally the devs should not be dispensing non public information to high level players through non official lines of communication
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Chief270 wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    So now the real question... Anniversary Vault, or draw tokens?
    Both Galactus and Anniversary are currently planned on being standard comic packs instead of Vaults. We figure that more people want to go for Devil Dino and the like, so making a locked Vault (even if it's a 0 cost reset) is more annoyance in this case than the surety you get from clearing a given Vault.

Knowing the draw rates now, I'd say its sufficient to say that this was wrong. :p

Hmmm, yeah I'll take some D Dino, sadly over 25 tokens (including 13 anniversary tokens where his % is "high"?) has yielded me 1 4* and it was not him...
  • Monged4life
    Options
    I'm a relatively new starter to MPQ, on day 186, and I wanted to create an account on the forums just to echo what everyone else is saying.

This event was not fun, in the slightest. Like most of my alliance, we played it not because we enjoyed doing so, but because we felt like we would be letting down the other members by not playing it.

After all was said and done we finished it about two thirds through Round 6, so got nothing to show for all this wasted effort except a paltry bunch of 2*s through the worse cover packs I've ever seen.

As the event loomed everyone was assuring me that the anniversary period was the time to be here, that last year's was an absolute blast and that it would be really hard for them to top it.

This year all I have seen is a 30% extra 'sale', an event which no one has enjoyed playing, and some pretty standard PvP events which have extra 2* reward tokens as progression points. I really don't understand the hype.

I had saved up 2500hp in the weeks leading up to this, not buying shields, not using anything so I could splurge it all during the anniversary on some cheap cover packs and finally build up some 4*s, and there has been absolutely nothing to spend it on! Anniversary packs with awful draw rates that a 10 pack costs 5000hp! Seriously?

The OP does indeed read as spin to try and reduce the backlash from a very disappointed community. The pull rates for the anniversary packs alone sucked the joy out of playing during this anniversary, and people have said above how much 'double iso!' counts for when you're winning 40 at a time.

All this anniversary has done for me has made me question what I have been doing for the last 186 days, and let me start trying some other games instead.
    The build up for this anniversary has left a void that I want to now fill with something fun, not another grind against a game designed to be unbeatable for the unlikely prize of yet another 4*.