Comments

• Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Philly79 wrote:
    Chief270 wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    So now the real question... Anniversary Vault, or draw tokens?
    Both Galactus and Anniversary are currently planned on being standard comic packs instead of Vaults. We figure that more people want to go for Devil Dino and the like, so making a locked Vault (even if it's a 0 cost reset) is more annoyance in this case than the surety you get from clearing a given Vault.

Knowing the draw rates now, I'd say its sufficient to say that this was wrong. :p

Hmmm, yeah I'll take some D Dino, sadly over 25 tokens (including 13 anniversary tokens where his % is "high"?) has yielded me 1 4* and it was not him...

An 80 item vault would be so much better than the current anniversary token. At least then we could fairly assured of getting something decent instead of the 15 2* Dakens I've gotten (a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much).
  • Afrocigar
    Afrocigar Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    One more thought here. You guys remember when the first did the wave nodes? Remember one was bugged and was endless? Everyone loved that. It was impossible, like you wanted Galactus to be. So why not do something like that? Make some fiction around an endless battle with Galactus and make the progression rewards around that.

This event failed on so many levels it's hard to fit in one post. To hit all progressions and win Round 8 you need a solid 4* roster. Yet the progression has rewards that are useless to the 500+ day player? What use is a 3* to players almost 2yrs in? The older players need ISO. And that was screwed up too. So I beat a lvl400 Galactus and get 40 ISO? An impossible task nets a minuscule reward.

I think the problem is how you guys test. Your internal testers really have no 'skin in the game' so to speak. Having to use max boost and probably still lose 3 health packs had no affect on them. I can't imagine how you cold beta an event, but it seems like you need something that represents normal players. Last anniversary you had no idea only a couple alliances could finish. This year let lose an event that everyone to a man hates and has no reason to push because the rewards don't match the effort.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Still no communication from devs or any person with a red account? Still no apology for the mess that was Galaktus and the 'you should lose' statement?

We should have some kind of input from them by now...

PS: I dont remember where is the studio, east, center or west cost?
  • The Galactus event was frustrating and no fun at all. Many of my alliance refused to play the later stages. Round 5 he collected enough black in just four or five turns. Without a great chunk of luck he was nearly unbeatable. Only way to beat him seemed boost pink and whale him to death.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The only time I won was when I got multiple 5-way matches, either on the board or from IF's purpleflag.png
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The only time I won was when I got multiple 5-way matches, either on the board or from IF's purpleflag.png

Don't discuss strategy or tactics on the open forum.

Don't forget that the developer's altered the rules for Galactus based on what people planned to use.

If people keep it up, during the next Galactus run, you'll have to beat him exclusively through match damage.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes, they will surely counter the "strategy" of just getting lucky by giving Galactus Jean Grey's blueflag.png

Maybe when they do that they'll forget they only have three slots for powers and will overwrite one of the others, completely neutering him.
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Afrocigar wrote:
    One more thought here. You guys remember when the first did the wave nodes?....

This event failed on so many levels it's hard to fit in one post. To hit all progressions and win Round 8 you need a solid 4* roster. Yet the progression has rewards that are useless to the 500+ day player? What use is a 3* to players almost 2yrs in? The older players need ISO. And that was screwed up too. So I beat a lvl400 Galactus and get 40 ISO? An impossible task nets a minuscule reward.

^^This, you guys seriously could not come up with a better reward than 3* Torch red for 900k damage? That is seriously lame...give out some 3* covers that rarely ever drop if you must give that pittance...Hulk black, Iron Fist any, Blade green, Deadpool red, the list goes on of better covers not to take away from Torch b/c he is a fairly decent character but there are better ones out there. Honestly it should have been an event token 10 pack to maybe mitigate some of the sting from the awesome pull %'s you guys blessed us with....
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    No word from ice yet?
  • IceIX wrote:
    Hey all,

Wanted to share a few things about how Galactus works and what we're expecting versus what we're seeing.

To start, it seems like a lot of people are on a basic disconnect here, looking at the boss battle similar to how Ultron ran in terms of how things work. Meaning that Ultron should be going down pretty regularly. He's powerful, but his real power lies in the fact that killing his body doesn't stop him. You need to crush every one of his drones and main bodies to win. So winning rounds is a pretty regular occurrence. Game-wise, what this means is that players won fairly easily against Ultron and took their lumps against the drones. The stopping timer there was health packs based on when the drones finally wore you down. What this also meant is that the higher end Alliances would chew through the entire Event in about 12 hours and let it kinda sit for 3 days.

Galactus is different. The "minion" fights against the villains are relatively simple. They're there as minor hazards but relatively easily winnable. Galactus on the other hand is a massive threat. He's not going to be stopped by gnats. Iron Fist punching him in the toe isn't very painful. So he gets bored and swats them away. In game terms, this means that players are going to be beaten. Winning a round against Galactus is an achievement. You're supposed to lose. Every time you do, you're still chipping away at his life. It's an exercise in damage in aggregate. Over the 3.5 days, hitting him over and over to finally bring down the big bad is somewhat slow, but certainly effective.

Overall, most of the higher end Alliances are in Round 6 or knocking on the door to Round 7. Which is actually slightly faster than we were expecting people to get just based on the math. So everyone's doing pretty darned well in terms of progression. There are some teams rockin' the Winfinite, other teams that are pushing through with some interesting strategies (who woulda thought OBW would be a rock star against Galactus?). Not many Alliances are getting anywhere near full clears. Which is actually intended. You're supposed to lose your Health Packs on Galactus, rather than against the minions like on Ultron. It's also why we changed up the play method for this round too so that it's not just a flip flop between Ultron and minions till you win. There's a set number of times you can hit Galactus before you need to take a break to let minions refresh. That break means that you have plenty of times for Galactus drained Packs to refresh while you can go in and get some Black Vortex in. Or play Simulator (up soon). Or get your Devil Dino on when that starts up. It's a different design than the rush of Ultron where that was pretty much all players did while it was open.

Long story short, you all are doing really well against Galactus. Yes, the gameplay is different. I'm sure most of you aren't used to going into a battle with the idea that you may well lose. But given that you're still pulling out wins with pretty strong regularity, I don't see any reason this wouldn't continue into Rounds 7 and 8, and on to Cyclops awesomeness.

At the outset, going into the boss battle, you're looking at winning like normal. After all, it works elsewhere in the game, and it worked against Ultron. So suddenly getting rocked by Galactus is a shock. Keep at it. If things are really going to go poorly, we'll look at doing refresh timer changes and the like that we can do server-side as a quicker band aid style fix for run 1. After that, we'll figure out what we want to do for difficulty on run 2 (and any other runs that we do in the future, of course).
    Oh Man! This is such a pathetic ****. You made a bunch of changes hours before release that failed to playtest and now instead of admitting that you screwed up you just make up some hasty explanation that it was intended this way. So you think your customers are idiots that will eat any **** you choose to feed them. That's **** disgusting.
  • Philly79
    Options
    Yes, they will surely counter the "strategy" of just getting lucky by giving Galactus Jean Grey's blueflag.png

Maybe when they do that they'll forget they only have three slots for powers and will overwrite one of the others, completely neutering him.

Ah but you overlook the fact that they are now combining powers to make a char have more, 5* wolvie, Vision...they can just add to an existing power like if he collects x amount and someone makes a match 5he stuns or some other variant to make it unbeatable...remember we are suppose to lose, making this one of the best games every...fun to the enth degree! Happy anniversary!!!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    politics_political_consultant_career_politician.jpg
  • mrflopwelligan
    Options
    I just don't get it. How is 'play,die, play, die' over and over again with absolutely no strategy supposed to be fun?

I mean, Ultron had strategy, but this is just pathetic.

Haven't these guys ever heard of Flow Theory and how it pertains to games:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
  • Auk
    Auk Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm assuming the devs are currently discussing what changes they're going to make to the event (if any) and carefully formulating their response for posting on the forums.

Still, it would go a long way to post a simple "Hey, we're here and we've read (are reading) your posts and will get back to you soon".
  • guib
    guib Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    And if the difficulty is correct, any reason the rewards are, what they are?
    Care to expand on that?
    because I don't.
    bye, losers !
    /leave
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Philly79 wrote:
    Wow up to page 27 already, not a surprise but wow....

After sifting through the various threads, and this one, the overall consensus is that no one had fun. I personally reached the legendary token as well as 2 other members of my alliance and we were in round 8, not enough time to complete it although one of our sister alliances managed to do it (still waiting for their red Cyc covers though 9 hours after the event ended...strange), none of us had "fun" reaching these goals, simply bogged through it to help alliance rank and gain what rewards we could, including the atrocity of gaining 40iso or a crit boost for your efforts....still. not. fun.

This is the part that is the crucial one for me, they simply cannot judge this event as a success based upon the amount that carried on playing, alliance rosters were locked before anyone knew what an abhorrent abusive mess of an event it was and thus people would continue to try and do their best for their teammates even if they might have otherwise just given up if it had been only their own progress they would have been conceding by doing so.

This event, prior to the reactive changes that were made to try and counter strats discussed on here, might have actually been okay as relatively simple earth nodes and then a fight that was tough but fair would have seen far more people finishing a lockout with some health packs intact and thus they could have then spent some time in the pvp event too, with the net result that people would not have complained about the lockout part of the event either.
  • emaker27
    emaker27 Posts: 285 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    So now the real question... Anniversary Vault, or draw tokens?
    Both Galactus and Anniversary are currently planned on being standard comic packs instead of Vaults. We figure that more people want to go for Devil Dino and the like, so making a locked Vault (even if it's a 0 cost reset) is more annoyance in this case than the surety you get from clearing a given Vault.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

This is a popular quote for a reason. Making it possible for people to have a sure and 100% avenue to Devil Dino would have been much better for the player base as a whole.
  • Raezen
    Raezen Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    The lack of response from any red is deafening. You have to question their ability to even perform simple tasks such as communication. Here is a little help, you don't need to make a 5 paragraph post/reply. A simple "We hear you and are working towards improving Galactus Round 2." Guess what, that little sentence will calm a majority of people down for the time being. Now whether we believe you or not is pretty much your own fault at this point. In my opinion, you have earned no such trust as time and time again, you have shown incompetence and a complete disregard to your playerbase. The time is long past due where you need to right your ship and get your playerbase to believe in you again.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alliances finished for the sake of their alliance mates.
    Alliances stopped playing for the sake of their alliance mates.

(mostly) Nobody played this event for fun.
  • Philly79
    edited October 2015
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Alliances finished for the sake of their alliance mates.
    Alliances stopped playing for the sake of their alliance mates.

(mostly) Nobody played this event for fun.

Alliances finished for the sake of their alliance mates. - TRUE
    Alliances stopped playing for the sake of their alliance mates. - TRUE

(mostly) Nobody played this event for fun. - FALSE, no one had "fun" playing this...I am sure even the handful of people that claimed they had fun should have replaced the word with "nice premise" or "this could work"...if they actually meant the true meaning of fun then they must slam their faces into a brick wall or put their hands in hot oil when they get bored....