On Galactus run 1 (Game feel vs Ultron)

Options

Comments

• Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yet another middle finger to the players...2kiso and 100hp? Really?
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    MrGaunt25 wrote:
    I tend to agree that someone should've said something (anything) during the last 3 days given the massive outcry from the playerbase assuming they care at all. As I'm somewhat new here (200 days), how does the the negative feedback now compare to past issues (like true healing)? Was the forum this insanely upset or is this the biggest blow up ever seen on the forums? Trying to gauge how seriously they might take it this time.
    The negative feedback from this event is probably comparable to the Great Kerfuffle over true healing.

The difference for me between the two is that the healing changes were the right thing for the game, although the messaging could have been better. Selling "True Healing" as an exciting new feature was a bit like the IRS trying to get you hyped up for tax day. It's a necessary thing, but don't try to get people excited about it.

What should they do to make things better? Maybe replace run 2 of Galactus with an Ultron re-do instead, while they take Galactus back to the shop for a truly massive re-tooling.
  • corytutor
    corytutor Posts: 414 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So 100hp and some iso makes up for a horrendous event, garbage token pulls and the 4* cover we missed out on due too server issues that should have been foreseeable and easily taken care of after the last major alliance event?

Go fornicate yourself with a pineapple d3.
  • 100hp and iso for the problem on the first 30mins of the event, I expect another 5000 for the remaining of it.
  • Auk
    Auk Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I assume the Iso and HP going out indicates somebody is at the offices working? You'd think they could drop an update to let us know we're being heard :/

Or maybe they think this gift will placate the masses?
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Update is out, feedback seems to be heard. They are going to rework Galactus to make fights last longer, while offering more strategic ways to take him down. No details as to how yet. Also, it seems they're redoing the odds for Anniversary tokens, and for those who have purchased some, they are handing out some extra with the new odds.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33800
  • Darknes21
    Darknes21 Posts: 321 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    R u kidding us? 100 HP and 2000 ISO! I missed the first three rounds of galactus because I could not connect. Wow what a FU!

Darknes21
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Man the anniversary tokens are so tinykitty annoying, I just opened the 10-pack you can win in PvP, and pulled 10 2s, not even one iso, or HP, or a 3 or a dino, all 10 tinykitty 2s! What were they thinking when they decided the chances for the tokens?!?!?!

These are the worst tokens ever (and yeah I usually have bad luck opening tokens, but this is too much!).

After Galaktus, this DOESNT HELP to make the anniversary fun.

Ps: I regret so much now that I spent money at the beginning of the sale...
    Ps: Oh and it is also great that in day 715 they are going to give me a SW purple. Just what I needed ...

I'm feeling for you. My 10-pack gave me 9 2s. Then the tenth was gold and I got that surge of excitement -- blue She Hulk.

In the last event token I earned from Galactus I felt that surge of excitement seeing the gold, then even more elation seeing a cyclops visor come crashing down!!!
    ...it was the one in the red outfit, who I already have maxed.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    MrGaunt25 wrote:
    I tend to agree that someone should've said something (anything) during the last 3 days given the massive outcry from the playerbase assuming they care at all. As I'm somewhat new here (200 days), how does the the negative feedback now compare to past issues (like true healing)? Was the forum this insanely upset or is this the biggest blow up ever seen on the forums? Trying to gauge how seriously they might take it this time.
    The negative feedback from this event is probably comparable to the Great Kerfuffle over true healing.

The difference for me between the two is that the healing changes were the right thing for the game, although the messaging could have been better. Selling "True Healing" as an exciting new feature was a bit like the IRS trying to get you hyped up for tax day. It's a necessary thing, but don't try to get people excited about it.

This and True Healing are in the comparable A-League of textbook handling things badly. True Healing probably slightly more as it changed a fundamental aspect of the gameplay model (and added to the mess of how health and healing is handled which we still have to this day); this anniversary will be over in a few days.

Again, it comes down to some design decisions that independently might have been with merit but lacked a coherent bigger picture and the terrible, verging on dismissive, communication effort.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    OJSP wrote:
    Nepenthe wrote:
    In the last event token I earned from Galactus I felt that surge of excitement seeing the gold, then even more elation seeing a cyclops visor come crashing down!!!
    Tip: for a 4*, the circle around the SHIELD eagle pulsates white.. just so you don't get disappointed again next time

Thanks. Possibly the most useful forum post ever! icon_lol.gif
  • Ctenko
    Ctenko Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    Options
    OJSP wrote:
    Nepenthe wrote:
    Tip: for a 4*, the circle around the SHIELD eagle pulsates white.. just so you don't get disappointed again next time

If your phone is Super old like mine, And the white circle won't pulse, The Gold on the token will go back and forth looking smaller and then the right size as well.
  • GurlBYE wrote:
    This is a very delicate case of how to defuse a bomb.

If the galactus event had been run independently of anniversary, I have a pretty good feeling the backlash wouldn't be so harsh.

galactus and The anniversary tokens and releasing galactus before the weekend were all yikes.
    Outside of a 10 pack of guaranteed 4* draws at the end of each loss, I'm not sure much can be said or done differently. Player based is much along an expectation and anything short gets rage monkeys.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Splarne wrote:
    GurlBYE wrote:
    This is a very delicate case of how to defuse a bomb.

If the galactus event had been run independently of anniversary, I have a pretty good feeling the backlash wouldn't be so harsh.

galactus and The anniversary tokens and releasing galactus before the weekend were all yikes.
    Outside of a 10 pack of guaranteed 4* draws at the end of each loss, I'm not sure much can be said or done differently. Player based is much along an expectation and anything short gets rage monkeys.

Apology
    Sale extension (maybe just a weekend flash sale)
    40 pack guaranteed devil alongside legendary
    10 pack guaranteed 2 3 stars (there are 40 of them, and 5 star was introduced it wouldn't kill anyone)
    Creating a sub daily counter that applied just to anniversary week and required all 7 days for dino or something.

I mean it wasn't that hard to begin with.
    Shrinking the pyramid of 4 star percentages and 3 stars a bit for this one pack a year wouldn't have hurt. (especially with 2 4 stars being introduced within a week of eachother)

There's no definite answers, but the increases now are a little butt.
  • When Ultron first launched, I was actually on vacation with a friend, at C2E2 in Chicago. It was my first time in the city. I was at one of the largest comic conventions around.

I still found myself taking regular breaks, huddled over my phone to deal with another wave of Ultron drones. I don't know if I would define that event as 'fun,' but what it was, to me, was satisfying. I lost a lot, because I was, and still am, a middling level player. The robots frustrated me. Ultron had me gritting my teeth.

But when I won, I felt like I was making progress. I felt like I was ACOMPLISHING something. I didn't care that I didn't make it to the top tier, or the top rewards, I'd fought the best I could, with the characters I had, and I was satisfied. I wasn't jumping up and down about it, and "oh no robots!" became an injoke with my friends who play, but I played right up until the end.

With Galactus, there was no sense of accomplishment, no sense of slow, incremental moves forward. No rewards that made up for the crippling frustration of 'die, resurrect, die, resurrect, die, wait for health packs to regenerate.' I hated it. I felt stupid for wasting my time. I felt bad for convincing my guild to play.

And here's the thing. This forum thread is huge. But I think I'm the only one in my 18 person guild who goes on the forums. The other 17 aren't aware of your 'design process.' They aren't aware that they're 'supposed to lose.' They don't get this info via the game. There's no pop up screen with Iron Man going, "He's the most powerful opponent we've ever faced, every hit counts!"

All they know is they're dying. And nothing in the game, or in past experiences with the game, have prompted them to accept this as 'what should be happening.' It runs counter to the expectations that the player has, because the game has trained them to expect that they will win. Not every time. Maybe not even the majority of the time, but 7 out of 8 battles ending in total team wipe?

If this is a game mechanic, it was horribly handled from beginning to end. If this explanation is a face saving softshoe, which I think is more likely, it's insulting.

I don't expect to be fed constant wins. But I expect my time and effort and careful consideration to strategy to be rewarded. This does not, it makes me feel stupid for wasting my time and money.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    scifigrl47 wrote:
    *snip* And here's the thing. This forum thread is huge. But I think I'm the only one in my 18 person guild who goes on the forums. The other 17 aren't aware of your 'design process.' They aren't aware that they're 'supposed to lose.' They don't get this info via the game. There's no pop up screen with Iron Man going, "He's the most powerful opponent we've ever faced, every hit counts!"

All they know is they're dying. And nothing in the game, or in past experiences with the game, have prompted them to accept this as 'what should be happening.' It runs counter to the expectations that the player has, because the game has trained them to expect that they will win. Not every time. Maybe not even the majority of the time, but 7 out of 8 battles ending in total team wipe?

If this is a game mechanic, it was horribly handled from beginning to end. If this explanation is a face saving softshoe, which I think is more likely, it's insulting.

I don't expect to be fed constant wins. But I expect my time and effort and careful consideration to strategy to be rewarded. This does not, it makes me feel stupid for wasting my time and money.

OMG, this. 1,000,000x this. I and others have said this before, but seriously. Yes, the forum guys are a small, vocal minority. We get that. But just because we're the minority, that doesn't mean that others don't share our view! Minority or not, we probably play the game more than almost any other group of players do, and if we, the people that play your game the MOST, have an overwhelmingly negative reaction to something, don't you think maybe the people that play a little less are having the same experience?? The difference is, we genuinely want to help, so we come here to voice our feedback and opinions in the hope that someone will listen and take steps to correct the problem. The other guys? The guys that aren't as invested and don't bother to come on here and tell you what a bad time they're having? They just stop playing.
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    tanis3303 wrote:
    scifigrl47 wrote:
    *snip* And here's the thing. This forum thread is huge. But I think I'm the only one in my 18 person guild who goes on the forums. The other 17 aren't aware of your 'design process.' They aren't aware that they're 'supposed to lose.' They don't get this info via the game. There's no pop up screen with Iron Man going, "He's the most powerful opponent we've ever faced, every hit counts!"

OMG, this. 1,000,000x this. I and others have said this before, but seriously. Yes, the forum guys are a small, vocal minority. We get that. But just because we're the minority, that doesn't mean that others don't share our view! Minority or not, we probably play the game more than almost any other group of players do, and if we, the people that play your game the MOST, have an overwhelmingly negative reaction to something, don't you think maybe the people that play a little less are having the same experience??
    .....The difference is, we genuinely want to help, so we come here to voice our feedback and opinions in the hope that someone will listen and take steps to correct the problem. The other guys? The guys that aren't as invested and don't bother to come on here and tell you what a bad time they're having? They just stop playing.

these are the players that they will never know they lost...
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The single biggest problem was Galactus had no counters and was not properly balanced.

Here's the biggest issues with beating him at higher levels.

1.)CD tiles were too short and too many

2.)The amount of AP generated from the number of tiles was too much.

3.)his massive aoe at the end of his skill cycle, if this was first and he didn't have the 28 at the begining you get 1 more turn. Sort of how IMHB casts Overdrive but doesn't launch Repulsor Punch, because the game already cycled through it.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Sort of how IMHB casts Overdrive but doesn't launch Repulsor Punch, because the game already cycled through it.

He doesn't go immediately into Repulsor because the red skill was already processed, not because the red skill is listed first. Note if he has blue and black, Hulk-Proof always comes first.

Passives go before skills, skills process in color order as listed in the battle screen (YRUGPBT). So regardless of where it is in the order, Galactus's passives go first. And even if you assign a 1AP skill to the AP collection, it's still gonna come before his nuke.

Only way to gain that turn is to change his black to another color (red presumably).
  • I don't just want some extra odds or a slight rehash of this same event, I want to have fun or actual compensation.

I suicide-bombed my characters, not playing PvP or much DDQ because I wanted to do something for the top people in my alliance for once. I wanted to get them a 4* cover or two, even though a 4* cover is next to useless for me. Instead the top 5 of my alliance got punished for not being in a Top 150 alliance and as a bonus, they got mostly 2*s from their tokens.
  • SunCrusher
    SunCrusher Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Breezy wrote:
    I don't just want some extra odds or a slight rehash of this same event, I want to have fun or actual compensation.

I suicide-bombed my characters, not playing PvP or much DDQ because I wanted to do something for the top people in my alliance for once. I wanted to get them a 4* cover or two, even though a 4* cover is next to useless for me. Instead the top 5 of my alliance got punished for not being in a Top 150 alliance and as a bonus, they got mostly 2*s from their tokens.

I empathize with your situation and I think it's unfortunate that the circumstances of the event has resulted in you feeling the way that you do.

Before I joined the Galactus event, I was aware that I might have the chance to join another stronger Alliance before committing to entering the event... but I ultimately did not and one of my primary reasons is for the exact reason that you just stated and I don't know how I should feel about that.

I'm primarily a soloist for a variety of reasons, but it did occur to me to see if I could shack up with another Alliance for the duration of the event... but I knew that my roster wasn't competitive enough to really make much of a difference and I was unwilling to be one of the ones to later shoulder the burden of feeling like I had somehow contributed to letting my team/Alliance down because I was either not strong enough to make enough progress or I couldn't keep up with potential refreshes because of real life interference.

I dislike Alliance-driven events where Alliance participation is mandatory/needed to literally make progress partly for this reason; I don't dislike Alliances themselves AT ALL, but I really dislike how these sorts of situations can readily pop up as a result.

As a soloist and transitional player for the event, I can't really personally complain about 'compensation', but the lack of 'fun' is definitely something I can chime in on.

Not fun feeling like you're being shut out of one of the biggest Anniversary events going on and not fun feeling like you're being punished for trying your best.

I'm not expecting great rewards for my personal situation, but at least being able to get -somewhere- (or be told by the devs that YO, THIS EVENT IS -REALLY- NOT FOR SOMEONE LIKE YOU!) would be nice.