On Galactus run 1 (Game feel vs Ultron)

Options

Comments

• Kirinknight
    Kirinknight Posts: 26 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I think it's completely possible that many people at D3 have no idea what the game play experience has been for us in rounds 7 and 8. I can't find a way to record screen video in iOS. Is there anyone who can post a video of round 7 or 8 to share so that they have a better idea of the game experience they are providing? Honestly, the vid will be 3 rounds so 30 seconds long.

If after seeing that in round 8 Galactus needs only 7 cosmic tile to win (but kindly generates 12 by round 2) and they argue this was the design, then I think we really know where we stand. With all the moving parts leading up to release, I can't honestly believe they fully know what hell they have put us through. Any tech savvy helpers out there?
  • slantedandenchanted
    slantedandenchanted Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Also, the cover packs are complete ****. I didn't get anything useful from it. I got a devil Dino but that's all. It's pathetic how stupid these cover packs are.
  • Nepenthe
    Nepenthe Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Since I'm sure some of the devs are just going to roll their eyes and say that whiny gamers don't like a challenge and just want easy mode, I think it would help to compare this to a hard, challenging event that required good strategy and had a satisfying reward. Remember the Ant-Man release?

Ant man got a special set of nodes of increasing difficulty, culminating in a 5-wave survival node. At the time I had a decent amount of 3-stars at 166 but nothing higher than that. Long survival nodes make you think about what you're doing: When to use powers vs saving AP for the next wave. Building up special tiles to try to snowball into the final rounds. Timing damage so the next wave comes out while it's still your turn. It was hard, but lasted for several days so you had lots of time to try different team combos. It was really satisfying when I beat it after some team wipes learning what to expect in later rounds. And when I did, I got the brand new 4-star cover, guaranteed as the prize for victory!

There's one of the keys for a satisfying really hard challenge that wipes your team for multiple attempts - you only have to succeed at it once. I didn't get an Ant-Token with a 1% chance of drawing the new cover. I didn't have to repeat the node 5 more times every 8 hours hoping for enough of those hard-fought wins to get enough points for the new cover. You gave me a hard challenge, it took some thinking and some different attempts, but when I won I felt rewarded.

I like the 4* Deadpool dailies. Some of my 4s don't stand a chance yet, one was high enough it was actually easy, but for the most part it's a challenge and if I can pull it off I get a nice legendary token. (My only disappointment there is since it's 1v1 you don't get to try combos or synergies at all, but as a chance of pace that's ok.) Probably my favorite event is the Gauntlet (and the new Ultron-themed Gauntlet was cool). There's some hard fights in there, sometimes ones I can't pull off with my roster. (I never beat that one with Tetris Ultron & Loki, for example. If only I'd had whalebombs then.) There can be HARD fights that aren't frustrating.

With what I've learned from Galactus trying different combos I feel pretty okay with Rounds 1-5, but Round 6 has too much chance of giving you a board that you can't do anything at all with in the time allowed. Round 6 is what the final round should be like, and from what I've heard of Round 8 it should just not exist! With this sort of mechanic I'd much prefer him to have more health but get fewer AP per cosmic tile. Make it a long fight that you have to be on your toes to keep him from accumulating, not just a coin flip where he can get his nuke off from one turn's worth of tiles.

I was pumped for this event since the teaser countdown showed up. I was excited to see classic Cyclops, the Cyclops of the 90s cartoon that was my first exposure to X-men characters! I hyped up my alliance, kicked some inactive people, recruited players who wanted to gun for Galactus. I bought Hero Coins for the first time in months when the sale hit, because I wanted to support the game and remembered the last anniversary having great tokens. Now I'm disappointed & frustrated. I've burned through so many health packs I've barely been able to play the pvp. My alliance is annoyed at this event. We're on Round 6 and have 1.2 million points to go for the first Cyclops cover, and at this rate I don't think we're going to make it.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dr_nachin2 wrote:
    What surprises me is that is game is quite generous if not THE MOST GENEROUS game I have played, and I have played too many to count, related to premium currency and also characters/items/equivalent..

Future fight makes this game look like the rich man who drops crumbs on the poor and then complains when they say their hungry the next day.
  • TimGunn
    TimGunn Posts: 257 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    lol, IceX doesn't seem to appreciate the fact that losing is not fun

i know personally i lose more than enough in my IRL life (work, boyfriends, traffic, etc.). I play video games to finally win at something.

SMH

they've broken the fundamental rule of video games

And if it matters, I was considering dropping $$$ for a stark salary during the sale, but have changed my mind because i am mad at the devs.
  • dave2449
    Options
    Oh look, more proverbial salt-rubbing in the wound.

VzlWwbC.jpg

BAD. BUSINESS. DECISION.

You just don't insult your customers. Didn't someone in D3 have to take a basic business class? Marketing?

They will update this advertisement on Sunday...but they won't fix anything with this BROKEN event until the workweek.

Apparently their goal is to LOWER the total amount of players who love this game, encouraging them to go elsewhere. This will INCREASE the potential income from players...

GOOD JOB. Pure economic genius. icon_lol.gif
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    dave2449 wrote:
    snip

They will update this advertisement on Sunday...but they won't fix anything with this BROKEN event until the workweek.

Apparently their goal is to LOWER the total amount of players who love this game, encouraging them to go elsewhere. This will INCREASE the potential income from players...

GOOD JOB. Pure economic genius. icon_lol.gif
    I see it more as desperation, they likely are falling short of projected sales and trying a last ditch push to nudge us in that direction
  • Zehcnas27
    Options
    You've heard it all I'm sure. But just from a dedicated player, this feels more like punishment than an anniversary party. Anyone who doesn't have a pretty awesome roster can't even lay a finger on galactus, steering the newer people away. How do I get the lower level people in my guild to be enthused about this event when they can't get a single thing from it? Out of about 15 anniversary tokens I've gotten one quicksilver, where's the incentive to even bother trying? I don't want a cake walk, but have some leniency. During a time where we're ALL supposed to be celebrating this games second year you have 80% of your community fired up.
  • I will say this. More essays were written about this Anniversary than most colleges read for admissions. That should be telling, if nothing else.
  • dan54321
    dan54321 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have spent a ton of money on this game, the first money I ever spent on a freemium game, in fact, way more money than I should have. But I am on the verge of quitting the game entirely. It's not just this event, but it's this event combined with how things have progressed since I joined MPQ. It's the steadily worsening percentages on tokens giving you cool characters and the introduction of the new Legendary token that ironically makes PVE such a points-grab that it's impossible for me to place in the top 100 anymore unless I grind as hard as people chasing the Legendary token. I just don't have the time for that kind of grinding -- and even if I did, it isn't fun for me. Also I feel like the scaling difficulty increased a lot since the Legendary tokens were introduced, because I seem to be facing much tougher enemies in PVE -- also in PVP, but not as bad -- although maybe that's just my perception.

In any case, this event seems to be a confirmation of all the bad vibes I've been getting from this game over the past six months. The terrible odds on the anniversary tokens, the lack of story in the Galactus event, the demoralizing slaughtering of your characters when you face Galactus, the overscaled enemies in the Essential nodes ... Seriously, like others said, it was mainly loyalty to my alliance that kept me playing at all, not because our alliance, which usually finished around 1000th place every season, had a huge chance or because I held any hope of making any progression awards against Galactus. But now almost nobody in our alliance is playing anymore. Everyone is demoralized and feeling bad. Our spirit as an alliance has been broken, and my goodwill towards MPQ has almost completely vanished. I am about 95% to the point of quitting this game forever. I guess we'll see if major changes happen at D3Go, maybe someone getting fired and a new person put in charge of game design or something, but with the current trend, it's looking very likely that I'll find another game to play. Which sucks, after all the money I sank into this game and how fun this game was at first.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We have had a burnout roster-deletion quit in our alliance from one of our top half players. Thanks a lot, D3, where can we file for comp for that?
  • Benjermain
    Benjermain Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I will thank D3 for this, as an MBA student I am fascinated with case studies of tone deaf marketing and talking down to customers. I can't wait to see how this shakes out so I can write a paper about it.

I'm not even mad anymore, I want to pop some popcorn and watch this car crash unfold.

Ok, I just thought about the lack of lightning rounds and the fact I haven't seen a gold token all (ANNIVERSARY!) week and I'm mad again. To quote Tony Stark: "D*ck move, [D3]!
  • I do have to say I like a lot of the Villian nodes, honestly.

Like, they're way more interesting then standard Dark Avengers stuff. But that may be more due to survival node shenanagins.

Haven't had a lot of chances to fight against 3* Bullseye as a villian, and I liked fighting the Dark Avengers as a 2 wave 6 hero node.

And for all the talk about "**** Level 395 Gorgon?" that was probably my favorite node. Wave 1 being a massive survival wave of 8 Ninjas, making you have to carefully take them out in an actual long survival match, and it getting followed right after with a 1vs3 fight with Gorgon?

I love the 1vs3 fights, personally.

I'm kinda bummed that it was after I got everything rolling with LCap, and Gorgon never got unstunned. But it was pretty fun, and I wish we got more villian nodes like these.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Benjermain wrote:
    I will thank D3 for this, as an MBA student I am fascinated with case studies of tone deaf marketing and talking down to customers. I can't wait to see how this shakes out so I can write a paper about it.

I'm not even mad anymore, I want to pop some popcorn and watch this car crash unfold.

Ok, I just thought about the lack of lightning rounds and the fact I haven't seen a gold token all (ANNIVERSARY!) week and I'm mad again. To quote Tony Stark: "D*ck move, [D3]!
    I'm in your boat.
    Not to write an essay about but to see how they can do anything without screwing up further.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If IceIX told me in person exactly what the OP said, I would have told him to go **** himself. Just the fact that what was said was so disrespectful and so condescending to your fanbase has me absolutely dumbfounded. I don't care if he was towing the company line or whatever, there had to be a better way of saying what he did. I could have lived with an event that turned out to suck, but the way they respond to their customers has me more upset than anything.

In the meantime, I know I'm definitely not spending any money on this game now after originally planning to do so. I probably won't even bother with the second half of Galactus. I'll probably keep playing the rest of game, just so my presence adds to their server load and their company has to literally pay for it without getting anything from me.
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    "It's something people do because it's there. It's not something that's fun. It's not something that's enjoyable."

I'd give credit for the quote, but I'm kinda brain-farting on who said it...
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Zen808 wrote:
    "It's something people do because it's there. It's not something that's fun. It's not something that's enjoyable."

Wasn't it Ice on true healing?
  • My only complaint is that I would have liked away to earn back health packs. That way losing would not cost me in other pvp events.

Having a reward for beating Galactus be a 3-pack of health packs would have been wonderful.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    alphabeta wrote:
    Zen808 wrote:

Wasn't it Ice on true healing?

https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10239&p=171849#p171849

One of the intentions with this change is to cut down on things like Prologue Healing, which prolongs play time through something that is pretty obviously just a time intensive process that doesn't involve actual strong gameplay. It's something people do because it's there, much like tanking. It's not something that's fun. It's not something that's enjoyable. It's something that exists and is taken advantage of because of pure efficiency.

What we intend, and continue to drill in on is that we want players to have a broad mix of characters instead of a Top 3 that is their sole team to play with. In Versus this is a bit rougher of a prospect as players that battle have their last winning team placed on defense. So it's not always the best idea to fight with a less powerful defensive team in order to make up more points. That's something that we're always thinking about. We've discussed allowing players to set a defensive team, but with many other games out with similar versus situations this results in a very precise meta-game where an extremely large percentage of the user base chooses the same defenders. That's not a very fun time for most players.

However, in Events, we continually buff different characters, and outside of Heroics, still allow for characters to be used that aren't buffed. What we want players to do is to play with the breadth of their roster instead of using Spider-Man or Black Widow as necessary crutches and only building 3 other characters. This change is intended to result in exactly this as players see that they can't just rely on in-battle healing and look for other ways besides spending Health Packs to continue playing. We want you to keep playing on your own schedule. We want you to play with multiple characters. Doing so keeps players on their toes and making them think of character combinations that they wouldn't otherwise go with if they weren't forced out of their single set of heroes.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This too will pass!

My **** will it, nor will it ever be forgiven.