Galactus Hungers 10/8 - ?

Options

Comments

• Hi everybody. I'm a 2->3* transitioner and am having trouble on round 3. Can anybody check my roster in my signature and suggest a team to use? I got him to half with obw 2*storm and 2*mags. Obw to steal black. Just now thinking about it 2*mags was bad because his purple would be what I want but I used it for obw. Maybe 2* torch for a cheap red 1.7k? Any help would be appreciated!
  • Look here is the deal:

Turn 1 three 2-turn countdown tiles.
    Turn 2 the same.
    Turn 3 those turn into 3 * 4 = 12 cosmic tiles
    Turn 4 those turn into 12 * 4 = 48 black ap, you die.

Let's look at the options we have.
    The first 2 turns you match away one of the cd tile placed, which is a big If to start with because who knows where they land. And you must do this every single game or you die.
    Turn 3 the 2 left turn into 2*4 = 8 cosmic tiles
    From there if you match away 2 cosmic tiles at once he only gains 24 AP and you buy a turn but he placed 3 more tiles on the second turn so you die next turn

And the second option to live to turn 5 involves you matching away a cd tile both on turn 1 AND on turn 2.

So this is the event. 95% of the time you die on turn 4 and you have possibilities to live to turn 5.
    Those leave you with 9 and 12 AP respectively, which you werent even hunting for because you were matching away garbage tiles instead of collecting AP you need. Now you need to kill 25k health with that haphazard collection of 12 AP.

Anybody with half a brain would look at this and realize its impossible to do consistently on a regular basis even with boosts out the wazoo. It would be fine if we were damaging him before dying but 4 match-3s dont equate to a lot of damage.
    I am at 190k points right now and the final progression is 1250k. This event defies all logic. I refuse to believe somebody played through all rounds of this event to test it. They didn't even look at the math which I outlined in about 4 minutes of work.
    Whoever was in charge of designing Galactus should never be in a position like that again.
  • I was about to say that I thought some people were being a bit too negative, I'm winning round 5 fights against Galactus around 40% of the time, which for a roster of a handful of characters in the 120s and the majority of them under 100 I don't feel is too badly balanced. At the rate of increase in difficulty, I find it hard to see how anyone under 5* game will progress past round 6, but some people here are being much harsher than that.

Then I saw this:
    Cody722000 wrote:
    Hi everybody. I'm a 2->3* transitioner and am having trouble on round 3. Can anybody check my roster in my signature and suggest a team to use? I got him to half with obw 2*storm and 2*mags. Obw to steal black. Just now thinking about it 2*mags was bad because his purple would be what I want but I used it for obw. Maybe 2* torch for a cheap red 1.7k? Any help would be appreciated!

You can do it Cody. OBW with 2*Torch or Hulk and one of the yellow or black users like Thor or Luke Cage in your roster should be able to do it, but I wouldn't want to be in your place with your roster.

The further you get the more you're going to need fast characters. I found through my own experience that OBW is not going to cut it any more in round 5 (can't comment on round 3). Unfortunately, it seems very few of your better characters in your roster are fast characters so you are going to have a painful time.
  • fork1977
    fork1977 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    so, the way I see it there are 4 issues:

1 - server
    2 - lock-outs after round is cleared.
    3 - token pull rate
    4 - galactus fight difficulty

#4. only played 1 match at level 3 because I was banging away early before the server went down. but from what I hear level 4 comes down to pure luck. unless some wizard comes up with a viable strategy, along with #2, I see nobody getting Cyclops. maybe some top alliances figure some stuff out but many of the top top alliances aren't even active here.

This is the key issue. Even with an optimal board clearing damage team of mostorm, Magneto and Loki, the fight is 90% luck, and a health pack suck.
  • Grantosium wrote:
    You can do it Cody. OBW with 2*Torch or Hulk and one of the yellow or black users like Thor or Luke Cage in your roster should be able to do it, but I wouldn't want to be in your place with your roster.

Thanks for the suggestions! I just beat him with OBW 2*Torch and 2*Thor, but that round felt like cheating because the initial layout was a 5 match TU immediately followed by a 5 match green on my free turn and that kicked everything off. I wonder how well I will fare without that great setup.
  • fahq1977 wrote:
    This is the key issue. Even with an optimal board clearing damage team of mostorm, Magneto and Loki, the fight is 90% luck, and a health pack suck.

MoStorm and Magneto's board clearing powers are 8 or 10 AP.

Cyclops - 7AP.
    That's +2 yellow, +2 all, and one match.

Iron Fist at 5AP is the same speed as Loki, but you can plan ahead that you will be getting black AP. That's the +2 all and one match.

Therefore a Fistclops team running just 2 boosts has two possible choices for a possible cascade on turn 2. MoStorm or CMags might have better board clears, or even more board clears to choose from, but I'm not convinced they are an optimal strategy because it's going to take longer to fire those abilities.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    This is my first (and hopefully last) attempt at an event post.. let me know if i missed something!

Gonna copy, paste and spoiler my post from the Venting and Anger Thread - Please read OP Carefully! thread. If it is your last attempt at an event post, then I hope someone else picks up the mantle. Main point that is relevant to your quote is below, unspoilered.

I took over for jffdougan in creating the PVE event threads, with powered up list / rewards, etc, but I'm done doing that now.
    I have been one to defend Demiurge and D3 Go! in a lot of things, trying to point out people's errors/misunderstandings, so that outrage gets saved for the times that it is deserved. This is one of those times, where I don't think any complaint made right now, is going to be invalid. A lot of the goodwill that they've built up over the past months, in my mind, has been washed away with the roll out of the anniversary events. I took over for jffdougan in creating the PVE event threads, with powered up list / rewards, etc, but I'm done doing that now.

Most of the complaints I have, have already been voiced, and I'm posting in this thread because of another recent trend, of locking threads on multiple topics. I can understand merging the threads, but locking them and posting a link to the original thread, in essence, kills 2 threads.

I'll probably be a lot less vocal on the forums, because I'll follow a trend that Demiurge and D3 Go! have set a precedent for, poor or completely absent communication. That was a problem that was highlighted with the Gauntlet 10 pk picture error months back. D3 Go! did a lot better in recent months, after shutting down the spoiler thread, by posting the monthly sneak peek threads. IceIX was in and out of threads, posting info / answering questions, and although I missed the actual line Q&A, the transcript was pretty great. There has been one post, stating that they've acknowledged and are working on the server outage errors, but nothing to address gameplay questions regarding the Galactus event, which would be really helpful. We can gather and compile the strategies ourselves, but it sucks to have to do that, as we go.

When I saw the score totals required for the 8 rounds, I thought it was plausible to get through all 8, if the rules were similar to the Ultron runs (specifically nodes resetting with round completion). With the difficulty in Round 5, and the likelihood of it going up in subsequent rounds, and what the actual rules are coming to be (intended or unintended), the likelihood of getting through 8 rounds seems less and less possible. Time will tell, but from the current standpoint, things are looking grim.

If there was only a problem here or there, the situation wouldn't be as bad. But there are multiple problems, which when all combined, make for a very bleak outlook. It is very demoralizing and the faith that I have in Demiurge and D3 Go! is a lot less than before this event started 14 hours ago. I hope it gets better, but I'm keeping my expectations very low, so that there isn't much to be disappointed by.
  • tiger92882
    tiger92882 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Curious about progress...My alliance is currently on round 6. Anyone further along than that? A couple of us have downed Galactus at least once in round 6 but you have to get beyond lucky. I am wondering about overall progress and if anyone is on to round 7...
  • This event is painfully awful. Also, way to be cheapskates and ensure we reap no rewards for the nodes. You promised double iso awards for anniversary events but hey, if you award zero iso for a fight doubling that is still zero right!?
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cody722000 wrote:
    Hi everybody. I'm a 2->3* transitioner and am having trouble on round 3. Can anybody check my roster in my signature and suggest a team to use? I got him to half with obw 2*storm and 2*mags. Obw to steal black. Just now thinking about it 2*mags was bad because his purple would be what I want but I used it for obw. Maybe 2* torch for a cheap red 1.7k? Any help would be appreciated!

I don't have any better suggestions than were already are for your roster, but I had reliable success with OBW, 2* Bullseye and 2* Captain Marvel in Round 3 (I won 4-6, and one of my two losses was pure bad play on my part). In Round 4, every time I've tried it's been a trio of three tile matches and death for me. I've never even been able to get more than 3 of the same AP, yet, in any match so far in Round 4. Maybe I've just been unlucky.
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options
    All I want to say is that this event is a train wreck. I am wasting health packs and limiting my ability to do well in Tex Mex and the upcoming Vortex event because all my best heroes are dead. The token pull odds are so poor - I am in round 5 and all I pulled so are 2*, plus I spent 50 hero points twice and got nothing good - that I have concluded this event is a complete waste of time.

They should have looked at scaling to your teams ability. It is an anniversary event for crying out loud, every one should have the chance to beat it and feel good about it. Why not have a Hardcore Galactus event and a scaled event so people that can afford throwing their phones through walls and replacing then can do the HC and those who want to celebrate the anniversary and have fun and tell others how cool the game is can do the scaled.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    I'm liking Cyclops + Iron Fist + Scarlet Witch for the Galactus battles. Generate purple, transmute to black, FULL BLAST!
    I'm only on round 5 though, might not work as well in later rounds.

The problem with all these switch fueled strategies is that Galactus is just faster than Switch. he start rolling on round 3. She takes until round 4. So by the time her first cooldown goes off (assuming it didn't match itself away instantly), galactus may already have killed you if his cosmic tiles were well placed and couldn't be matched away, and even if not, switch's countdown may not spawn much purple if its surrounded by countdowns and cosmics.

And I can't really think of faster player ap battery than switch. So I am sort of at a loss to figure out how to reliably beat him in round 6 and above.
    I'm 1/3 in rd 6 and you basically have 3 turns. no idea how those without an xf with 5 black, a full fist, and a board shaking red/blue user (i.e. mags) do it. fist/xf/mags and it all comes down to luck of 1) initial board (have to start with purple or red) and 2) hope/pray for cascades and for fist purple to get to xf black quickly. if the board is dry of black, death comes quickly unless you luck into a match-5.
  • tiger92882
    tiger92882 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    I'm liking Cyclops + Iron Fist + Scarlet Witch for the Galactus battles. Generate purple, transmute to black, FULL BLAST!
    I'm only on round 5 though, might not work as well in later rounds.

The problem with all these switch fueled strategies is that Galactus is just faster than Switch. he start rolling on round 3. She takes until round 4. So by the time her first cooldown goes off (assuming it didn't match itself away instantly), galactus may already have killed you if his cosmic tiles were well placed and couldn't be matched away, and even if not, switch's countdown may not spawn much purple if its surrounded by countdowns and cosmics.

And I can't really think of faster player ap battery than switch. So I am sort of at a loss to figure out how to reliably beat him in round 6 and above.
    I'm 1/3 in rd 6 and you basically have 3 turns. no idea how those without an xf with 5 black, a full fist, and a board shaking red/blue user (i.e. mags) do it. fist/xf/mags and it all comes down to luck of 1) initial board (have to start with purple or red) and 2) hope/pray for cascades and for fist purple to get to xf black quickly. if the board is dry of black, death comes quickly unless you luck into a match-5.

I used IF/Cyc/Patch to get a 6th round win. Basically same idea though, I need cyc's yellow or IF's pink to cascade into a rage and full blast. I might try swapping patch for switch but I don't think you can live long enough for her countdown to go off 1 time.
  • Worse Event Ever!

Only created to sell health packs.

Nuf Sed.
  • Wintersmith
    Wintersmith Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Grantosium wrote:
    fahq1977 wrote:

MoStorm and Magneto's board clearing powers are 8 or 10 AP.

Cyclops - 7AP.
    That's +2 yellow, +2 all, and one match.

Iron Fist at 5AP is the same speed as Loki, but you can plan ahead that you will be getting black AP. That's the +2 all and one match.

Therefore a Fistclops team running just 2 boosts has two possible choices for a possible cascade on turn 2. MoStorm or CMags might have better board clears, or even more board clears to choose from, but I'm not convinced they are an optimal strategy because it's going to take longer to fire those abilities.

IMO, the payoff for using ap boosts is not enough. Those boosts cost 100hp, if you constantly use them in this "just for fun" event. I'd rather save hp for shields and a guaranteed 4* cover or some rosterspace.
  • IMO, the payoff for using ap boosts is not enough. Those boosts cost 100hp, if you constantly use them in this "just for fun" event. I'd rather save hp for shields and a guaranteed 4* cover or some rosterspace.

Not sure if I'm being helpful with this response or just grammar nazi, but only the +2 all AP boost costs HP. The others are ISO and a pretty small amount in the scheme of things.

It depends whether you think of this event as "just for fun" or whether you're still in the mindset of "this is the important 2nd anniversary event". Personally, I rarely use boosts, but have made an exception for Galactus, the recent Simulator and occasional ninja days if my first attempt or two fail miserably. I've not quite burned through my 30 stockpiled +2 all boosts yet, so haven't spent any HP at all on boosts.
  • Matrixboy
    Options
    Well ... it isn't much about the event per se i like to complain about ...

I mean ... it's a boss battle ... Galactus flew 14 days through space to kick our **** ... i get it !

But i dont see how this reward structure can make even a bit of sense ... come on guys, really ?

Why not just keep it simple ... sum up the damage per alliance ... leaderboard as always ... the best of all get those covers ... thats it !

Going through some sh*tty frustrating chain of failures ... in clear sight that there will be no cover for you at all ... i don't think so.

just my 2 cents !
  • Willis
    Willis Posts: 49
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Here to report the essentials just jumped in levels for my alliance and me. They're up to 161-166 now. So now I have to go through actual fights to get a chance to suicide on galactus.
  • RyanL24
    RyanL24 Posts: 54
    Options
    It is a little frustrating, but... it's what I've been waiting for. This is not a FTP game anymore. It is not a game for people who are only willing to drop $100 on a game. It is for whales. If you're not a whale, it is going to get less fun every day. That's just life. It was a fun game while it was lasted. It was quite a run. I made it over 400 days, so that's cool. It was probably worth the meager amount of money I've spent on the game.

I was already getting kind of tired of getting it handed to me by people with maxed out 4* rosters when they announced the new concept of 5* characters. I knew that would be the end. Then, just to rub it in, a message about the new (well I guess old) Wolverine kept popping up at me 20 times a day. Every time I got more depressed. Ah well, there are a million games remarkably similar to this one out there.

Who I really feel bad for are the poor whales who wasted so much money on 3* characters, and then sooo much more money on 4* characters. I imagine these people have an endless supply of money though, and these people really are who Demiurge should be catering to. So hurry up and spend a **** load of money on the 5* characters so they can launch the new 6* characters! icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Willis wrote:
    Here to report the essentials just jumped in levels for my alliance and me. They're up to 161-166 now. So now I have to go through actual fights to get a chance to suicide on galactus.

I noticed that, too. Just in time for a good-fed Hood & Gorgon, to boot. Yippie.

On the plus side, I did beat 4th round once. It took a bunch of lucky match-5's, but it was more than I expected with my roster.
This discussion has been closed.