Blind Justice - PvP Tournament

Options

Comments

• Thanos wrote:
    with less than one minute 2nd unshielded but it was too late for him. Love those down to the wire finishes.

Here's something I've been wondering: if you start a match before the tourney ends, and finish it after the 'final siren', do the points count in your final ranking?

Eg if I start a battle with <1m remaining, but the battle takes 3min to complete, does it "count"? Or is it only worthwhile if you finish the battle before the time runs out?
  • over_clocked
    Options
    volos wrote:
    Thanos wrote:
    with less than one minute 2nd unshielded but it was too late for him. Love those down to the wire finishes.

Here's something I've been wondering: if you start a match before the tourney ends, and finish it after the 'final siren', do the points count in your final ranking?

Eg if I start a battle with <1m remaining, but the battle takes 3min to complete, does it "count"? Or is it only worthwhile if you finish the battle before the time runs out?
    The points count if you start the battle at the last minute as well. This is a double-edged sword since other people can target you at this time, too.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wierdest thing happened - while shielded jumped from 775 to 830ish on defense to end up 2nd.

Had wanted 1st but messed up the timing earlier and got jumped by vultures icon_e_sad.gif still need to figure out how to shield/unshield effectively and economically - I think I need to learn to take control of the leaderboard earlier rather than trying to do it all at the last minute.
  • Tannen wrote:
    Overall, I liked that tournament.

My one complaint is that I wish that there was a way to queue an attack on the top X players in your bracket. The people who sit up there unshielded with 2*s for the last few hours must wonder why shields exist. I'd love to show them... icon_e_biggrin.gif

Cheers

That would not improve the game at all. Having 200 so players who can push a button and face off against the Top 5 would be madness. Why face any other players when you could max points with facing Top 5 opponents every time? How would the Top 5 players even play any matches when they need to Shield just to avoid getting hammered by the 200 players in their bracket?

Seems too elitist of an idea. Those with the biggest guns not wanting to share with those with bigger hearts.

Congrats to all those who overachieved in the latest tournament and is on their way to stronger and more competitive teams. I believe I got the one Doom cover I was aiming for. Don't care too much which placing I got since Doom is still far from usable and I still haven't figured out whether I want to sell off my Moonstone anyways. Both her and Capt America (or some say Zero) puzzles me if they are worth investing ISO into. Just sitting on them until something else needs a slot. Also waiting for the latest ranking listing to make a determination. Not like I'm really challenging for 3* covers so I have time to ponder. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Took my second first. Shielded way too much, but wanted the Dooms, and I always get blown out in LRs.
  • , Lol...my last match was my lvl 35. Dd, 70 spidey, 125 mag vs 6000+ hp Dd (didn't catch the lvl),some 4-5k ish lvl spidey, and 100+ hulk. Few bits of bad luck and his hulk was down and so was my magneto so it was Dd and spidey vs higher lvl Dd higher lvl spidey. O...m...g. the match lasted over 25 min no joke lol. I started with about 20-25 min left and didn't end until after the event was over. Wasn't trying to place high or I would have quit after losing magneto as Dd and spidey is too much luck/support to win a match quickly. Might have been different if my dd was a high level with 5 red though. Needing 2-3 red traps to activate for a kill is asking for a lot.
  • WiseG8 wrote:
    Tannen wrote:

My one complaint is that I wish that there was a way to queue an attack on the top X players in your bracket. The people who sit up there unshielded with 2*s for the last few hours must wonder why shields exist. I'd love to show them... icon_e_biggrin.gif

Cheers

That would not improve the game at all. Having 200 so players who can push a button and face off against the Top 5 would be madness. Why face any other players when you could max points with facing Top 5 opponents every time? How would the Top 5 players even play any matches when they need to Shield just to avoid getting hammered by the 200 players in their bracket?

Seems too elitist of an idea. Those with the biggest guns not wanting to share with those with bigger hearts.

Congrats to all those who overachieved in the latest tournament and is on their way to stronger and more competitive teams. I believe I got the one Doom cover I was aiming for. Don't care too much which placing I got since Doom is still far from usable and I still haven't figured out whether I want to sell off my Moonstone anyways. Both her and Capt America (or some say Zero) puzzles me if they are worth investing ISO into. Just sitting on them until something else needs a slot. Also waiting for the latest ranking listing to make a determination. Not like I'm really challenging for 3* covers so I have time to ponder. icon_e_smile.gif

Keep those character in your roster if possible for any future buff event for either CA and MS... both of them still has some use... as for the tourney i barely obtain top 5... i given up to grab the #1 spot with so many low roster ppl keep aiming me due to my high ranking point (800+)... shield at 798 and there is 3 hours left... when i check back a while ago i still at top 5... i know there are few ppl try so hard to overtake me but get knocked down by 50 pts instantly when they try to do so... so dun be greedy in the last 3 hours you wont get so far in the top 10 unless you got 3 character with lv141 to scare some of the competitor away... it might able stash some time for you to earn more pts before they able to defeat your team... so for now i aiming top 5 as always... that what i can do unfortunately but still satisfied xD icon_neutral.gif
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    , Lol...my last match was my lvl 35. Dd, 70 spidey, 125 mag vs 6000+ hp Dd (didn't catch the lvl),some 4-5k ish lvl spidey, and 100+ hulk. Few bits of bad luck and his hulk was down and so was my magneto so it was Dd and spidey vs higher lvl Dd higher lvl spidey. O...m...g. the match lasted over 25 min no joke lol. I started with about 20-25 min left and didn't end until after the event was over. Wasn't trying to place high or I would have quit after losing magneto as Dd and spidey is too much luck/support to win a match quickly. Might have been different if my dd was a high level with 5 red though. Needing 2-3 red traps to activate for a kill is asking for a lot.

Why target the hulk first though? I thought the general consensus was to avoid making the hulk angry till you can stun lock or nuke him down. The anger proc can be so annoying and so very dangerous
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Got my **** wolvie cover, yay icon_e_smile.gif
    Tinykitty in 2nd place kept unshielding and I ended up having to spend 225 HP on shields though icon_e_sad.gif
  • I shielded for 24h way early without realizing that points are clearly higher than normal and barely held to #5 at the end. I should have been suspicious when the climb to 700 was so easy but I figure it was just a fluke.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I shielded for 24h way early without realizing that points are clearly higher than normal and barely held to #5 at the end. I should have been suspicious when the climb to 700 was so easy but I figure it was just a fluke.

Me too, only I missed top 5 in the end. (Was in my bed, different timezone). Got top 15, which is ok, but would rather have had the two blue!

Learns for next time...
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    allorin wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I shielded for 24h way early without realizing that points are clearly higher than normal and barely held to #5 at the end. I should have been suspicious when the climb to 700 was so easy but I figure it was just a fluke.

Me too, only I missed top 5 in the end. (Was in my bed, different timezone). Got top 15, which is ok, but would rather have had the two blue!

Learns for next time...

Better luck in the LRs this week!
  • kidicarus wrote:
    , Lol...my last match was my lvl 35. Dd, 70 spidey, 125 mag vs 6000+ hp Dd (didn't catch the lvl),some 4-5k ish lvl spidey, and 100+ hulk. Few bits of bad luck and his hulk was down and so was my magneto so it was Dd and spidey vs higher lvl Dd higher lvl spidey. O...m...g. the match lasted over 25 min no joke lol. I started with about 20-25 min left and didn't end until after the event was over. Wasn't trying to place high or I would have quit after losing magneto as Dd and spidey is too much luck/support to win a match quickly. Might have been different if my dd was a high level with 5 red though. Needing 2-3 red traps to activate for a kill is asking for a lot.

Why target the hulk first though? I thought the general consensus was to avoid making the hulk angry till you can stun lock or nuke him down. The anger proc can be so annoying and so very dangerous

I didn't. I knocked spidey down to a few hundred hp or something so he would die in a turn or two with normal matches. Hulk had 20+ green he could use when unstunned so I threw a translocation at him while stunned. Blue ran dry and I saw a sub 300 hp Spiderman heal the entire team nearly to full lol. At which point I said f it.and unloaded everything I could at the hulk since.he was the only one of the 3 that really could do damage without it being self-inflicted and he was still stunned for another turn. I actually had all 3 left with only about 2k out of magneto when "**** happens" occurred and a single match somewhere demon cascaded into me losing magneto by having matched an ambush *palm* lol.

Edit: I should add I was very distracted at the time so I wasn't even looking at enemy ap lvls like I normally would when considering who to stun or use moves against. Regardless...its pretty.hard to be okay with dropping a translocation to do 300 damage.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    WiseG8 wrote:
    Tannen wrote:

Cheers

Hrm. You've missed my point (also, why does someone with "bigger guns" necessarily have a smaller "heart" and not want to "share"? Anecdotally, there are high level players in the forums dropping tank teams in after they get the progression awards that they want).

Anyway, let me try to expand on my initial thought further...

If I enter a competition in real life when I don't have as much experience as my opponents, I don't complain when I get eliminated in the first round. It's something that I should expect given my lack of experience. If however, I do enter and win, and continue winning, I would expect my "rank" in the game to improve so that I then face people that are challenges, and my games are closer, and not just roll-overs. Sounds fair, right? I face off against people that are my own rank, we compete together, and the best on the day emerges with a prize.

If I'm too high and I'm getting rolled, I should drop down. If I'm the one rolling the opponents, I should be placed higher. This, in turn, should lead to a better tournament experience, because in the long run you're getting opponents that are around your own level. (This is what the MMR system is trying to do, match you with people that are similar in rank)

However, this is not what's happening. We currently have tournaments where certain people simply cannot face each other. You and your opponent arrive on the same day, and then start competing for the same prize against completely different sets of people. Thus, multiple groups are participating in completely different tournaments, however, they exist in the same prize pool. It doesn't matter what level of players there are in that bracket, that has no bearing on the results. If you're in that their bracket, but not their MMR, they exist outside your ability to influence them. At the end of the tournament, someone walks up, collects the prize and then heads home. They never had to face all of the opponents that they were competing against for that prize, they just played their own game. (This is what MMR accomplishes, splitting people in the same bracket into completely different tournaments, based on their skill level)

The issue that I was looking at was that the people who sit in the same tournament bracket, under someone that is unshielded because they have a different MMR are frustrated. They can't unsheild to get points, that'll provoke an attack, they can see the person in first pulling away or staying static above them, but they can never reach them or influence the outcome of their tournament bracket by interacting with that player.

The implementation details are irrelevant, and up to neither myself nor anyone I know. However, from my point of view it would be really nice to have the ability to queue up people above you in same bracket. This at least would allow people to influence the results of their own bracket in a meaningful way. Possibly another way to do it would be to match (+/-) people's initial MMR and fill the tournament brackets based on that rather than on when they join.

Cheers...
  • Tannen wrote:
    WiseG8 wrote:
    Tannen wrote:

Hrm. You've missed my point (also, why does someone with "bigger guns" necessarily have a smaller "heart" and not want to "share"? Anecdotally, there are high level players in the forums dropping tank teams in after they get the progression awards that they want).

Anyway, let me try to expand on my initial thought further...

If I enter a competition in real life when I don't have as much experience as my opponents, I don't complain when I get eliminated in the first round. It's something that I should expect given my lack of experience. If however, I do enter and win, and continue winning, I would expect my "rank" in the game to improve so that I then face people that are challenges, and my games are closer, and not just roll-overs. Sounds fair, right? I face off against people that are my own rank, we compete together, and the best on the day emerges with a prize.

If I'm too high and I'm getting rolled, I should drop down. If I'm the one rolling the opponents, I should be placed higher. This, in turn, should lead to a better tournament experience, because in the long run you're getting opponents that are around your own level. (This is what the MMR system is trying to do, match you with people that are similar in rank)

However, this is not what's happening. We currently have tournaments where certain people simply cannot face each other. You and your opponent arrive on the same day, and then start competing for the same prize against completely different sets of people. Thus, multiple groups are participating in completely different tournaments, however, they exist in the same prize pool. It doesn't matter what level of players there are in that bracket, that has no bearing on the results. If you're in that their bracket, but not their MMR, they exist outside your ability to influence them. At the end of the tournament, someone walks up, collects the prize and then heads home. They never had to face all of the opponents that they were competing against for that prize, they just played their own game. (This is what MMR accomplishes, splitting people in the same bracket into completely different tournaments, based on their skill level)

The issue that I was looking at was that the people who sit in the same tournament bracket, under someone that is unshielded because they have a different MMR are frustrated. They can't unsheild to get points, that'll provoke an attack, they can see the person in first pulling away or staying static above them, but they can never reach them or influence the outcome of their tournament bracket by interacting with that player.

The implementation details are irrelevant, and up to neither myself nor anyone I know. However, from my point of view it would be really nice to have the ability to queue up people above you in same bracket. This at least would allow people to influence the results of their own bracket in a meaningful way. Possibly another way to do it would be to match (+/-) people's initial MMR and fill the tournament brackets based on that rather than on when they join.

Cheers...

Thank you for clarifying. Well said.

I always did find it odd that I probably never faced a single opponent in my own bracket. I just accepted the structure for what it is. I believe the Elite tournaments are more catered to influencing your own destiny as all players are in one big pool (I believe). I don't participate so I can't say for certain. I don't deny the current system relies heavily on luck. With the pending "skip tax" it would make it even more unlikely you will get the opportunity to scroll through and find opponents within your bracket. But you do bring up a good point. Unfortunately, I doubt much can be changed.

If one should be unworthy up in the top, you would expect that others in different brackets will have a field day.

And for the record, I know I fight for the average joes but I can respect that those who have the stronger teams should finish higher than someone who is using 2* heroes. I simply ask that the game allow players the opportunity to continue improving their teams by not building walls.

Good luck in your next tournament.
  • Tannen wrote:

Exactly. Current system is like Muhammad Ali losing his title to some lightweight guy he is not even allowed into the ring with.

If the devs want 1* rosters have a run for X-Force, then they shall create the brackets accordingly like the weight groups. IMNSHO it's completely ridiculous that in the same scoring some people fight considerably lighter opponents and have no chance of each other.

The MMR-like based systems as a swiss tournament structure works exactly for the reason the fights go *within* the bracket, those closer to top fight harder opponents but those who fight the easy ones already lost their chance for top positions.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    locked wrote:
    DD's purple isn't so useless on offense considering how much the AI loves to match environment tiles. I'm looking forward to leveling him and thinking 5/3/5
    Sure isn't, but while I can run oBW, nothing will make me field DD. Select time over random? No-brainer. The AI usually matches env. tiles post debut if it knows any other choice will end badly, as well.

I'm wondering how many will avoid a maxed purple daredevil just on the off chance a cascade matches environmental for a 6ap hit. Hard to recover from that.
  • Moral wrote:
    I'm wondering how many will avoid a maxed purple daredevil just on the off chance a cascade matches environmental for a 6ap hit. Hard to recover from that.

Use up a precious slot just for the off chance? OBW steals 4 ap each for 11. Exactly when you ask, when you need. And do some other cool stuff.

To me this tournament pretty much showed the big difference in working with 2 vs. 3 team members. More thor hammers in a day than probably the whole month before.

If at least traps worked independently of DD like attack tiles. The way he is I consider him utter waste of ISO. And will be happy to pick up teams running him like the occasional Captain or Hawk suggests a simpler run.
  • I guess I lucked out and got a quiet bracket. I managed 5th with 762. Everyone in the top 10 was shielded when I went to bed - one guy was bouncing around for a while and briefly dropped me to 6th, but he dropped back below me around 10:30 and shielded in 8th. I literally doubled my Doom covers; he had been at 3/0 and now is 4/2, so that's going to be nice to have during lightning rounds.
  • locked wrote:
    volos wrote:
    Thanos wrote:

The points count if you start the battle at the last minute as well. This is a double-edged sword since other people can target you at this time, too.

That's actually not quite accurate. IceIX has started before that the server begins calculating the final scores immediately after the tourney time ends. If you happen to finish in the split second before it tabulates your final total then it counts but almost always it won't count.