Blind Justice - PvP Tournament

Options

Comments

• Looks like I'm safe for 3rd place at 850 points. Top two are 1030 and 923. Glad I'll be getting some good covers, shame it won't be X-Force Wolvie.
  • mags1587 wrote:
    Just got kicked out of the app mid-battle. ****.

That my friend, is bad luck. Automatic lose. The two top guys in my groups, pppp and hmarc keep on unshielding. I can't understand why you would break shields at 5 minutes before the tourney ends. If you die or get hit, that's it, top 10 spot gone. Hats off to Pppp and HMarc for fighting it out in the end. Also, thanks for 5-10 for not trying to go any higher icon_e_wink.gif papa needed some Doom covers for the Evil LR icon_e_smile.gif
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    locked wrote:
    But would you tell me how you're handling a level 43 Daredevil? I'd love to know icon_cool.gif

Good thing you were shielded, I'd feel bad, too, otherwise.
    What? Level 43 Daredevil is a problem? I usually kill DD last in this tourney, no exceptions. Usually in 1-2 hits when the field is full of Daken's strike tiles or mStorm has gained me 30 AP of every colour.

later edit: now I'm facing mStorm and Thor in Desert, that duo is dangerous. DD is all but forgettable in such a situation. But oh well, my board started with a purple 5-of-a-kind, so I'm good with this one already.

Well, I always save Daredevil for last too. But everyone else has level 15 Daredevil with the (fairly useless) purple. You don't find him even a minor problem with your 50 Storm/65OBW? As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's basically like a 2-on-3 because most people's Daredevils are useless. I mean, with the buff, Daredevil has almost as much health as my Ares.
    Buuuuut anyway, I hoped I helped you gain some great points towards some great rewards!
  • ChrisV82
    ChrisV82 Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ugh, I probably should have used a shield for the final three hours. I just got rocked like ear drums at a Slayer concert.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Our MMR sucks Jozier and my bracket was wicked on this one, 916 for first. I just cant stand using a **** daredevil for this one to take it seriously.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Arrrr.... 16th by two points, as far as I can tell. Well, "one (Doom covers)'s better then none", as an Old Western once famously said.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Well, I always save Daredevil for last too. But everyone else has level 15 Daredevil with the (fairly useless) purple. You don't find him even a minor problem with your 50 Storm/65OBW? As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's basically like a 2-on-3 because most people's Daredevils are useless. I mean, with the buff, Daredevil has almost as much health as my Ares.
    Buuuuut anyway, I hoped I helped you gain some great points towards some great rewards!
    I don't find any team of comparable levels or DPS a problem, unless they have a metric ton of HP (I'm lazy) or they have a lucky board from the very start. DD's moves are not immediate; that's his major disadvantage, so he's the last enemy standing, and it's extremely safe usually. Currently sitting at 17 with 725 points; crossing my fingers ^_^ Thanks!

later edit: got top 45, that's the first placement I wanted and made to in, like, 2 weeks? Yay and congrats to everyone else who got their desired rewards!
  • Clint wrote:
    Our MMR sucks Jozier and my bracket was wicked on this one, 916 for first. I just cant stand using a **** daredevil for this one to take it seriously.

Yeah I'm sorry I always beat up on you but you're one of like 5 people I see on a regular basis worth more than teens. Just the nature of a small MMR pool.

I was fortunate in that my bracket first was shielded at 713 or so. I was first for awhile but wasn't going to bother to shield just for an X-Force I'm not sold on.
  • Well I screwed myself over. Late activity was much slower. The last bracket was formed at around 2 hrs left. Joined at 30 mins left and usually get a new bracket but I guess no one's doing that anymore. At least not for this one. On top of that, my game kept crashing. Ah well.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Alright, got my triple Doom! That's a pretty good outcome for this. Hope everyone got what they wanted!
  • Finished top 15, quite happy.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    klingsor wrote:
    Omg! I broke the shield, then lost! Costing myself 27 points in the process. Then I won again, shielded, and found that I had actually less points than before I broke my shields. Waited for retal, then broke shields, put Hulkin and re-shielded (hoping to get a defensive win from Hulk). In the meantime, people have come out of nowhere, and even though I have a net 9 point improvement score, I am now at #4. If I fall from top 5, the 3 cheapo shields I bought would have been for nothing.

Here is another thing, something fishie is going on. When I was unshielded I cycled through 10 teams. They all had Spiderman's. Once I shielded, my queues were free of Spidermans. It was almost like it was enticing me to attack. If Someone else notices something like this I would be curious to know. Sure it could be a coincidence, but maybe not...

Queue up your target before you un-shield.
  • locked wrote:
    But would you tell me how you're handling a level 43 Daredevil? I'd love to know icon_cool.gif

Good thing you were shielded, I'd feel bad, too, otherwise.
    What? Level 43 Daredevil is a problem? I usually kill DD last in this tourney, no exceptions. Usually in 1-2 hits when the field is full of Daken's strike tiles or mStorm has gained me 30 AP of every colour.

later edit: now I'm facing mStorm and Thor in Desert, that duo is dangerous. DD is all but forgettable in such a situation. But oh well, my board started with a purple 5-of-a-kind, so I'm good with this one already.

DD's purple isn't so useless on offense considering how much the AI loves to match environment tiles. I'm looking forward to leveling him and thinking 5/3/5
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, that's good, I was able to stay top 15. Everyone was climbing in my bracket and no one seemed to be getting hit all that much. I had to unshield just to stay in top 15. Had a shot at getting back in the top 5 but getting kicked out of the app mid-battle took care of that attempt. icon_rolleyes.gif The only good thing about it was that it happened at the start of the battle, so at least I didn't lose a lot of time.
  • Yea, I was lucky to queue up a 36 point attack right at the end. Unshielded with 4 mins left and beat him in 3 min.

Bounced me up from 14th - 6th.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Options
    First green wolverine cover! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • over_clocked
    Options
    DD's purple isn't so useless on offense considering how much the AI loves to match environment tiles. I'm looking forward to leveling him and thinking 5/3/5
    Sure isn't, but while I can run oBW, nothing will make me field DD. Select time over random? No-brainer. The AI usually matches env. tiles post debut if it knows any other choice will end badly, as well.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Whew, seven minutes left i unshielded and win two matches for 51 points which took me from 3rd to 1st by two points. with less than one minute 2nd unshielded but it was too late for him. Love those down to the wire finishes.
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Overall, I liked that tournament.

The changes to point loss were good, and if I'd known about them earlier I would have pushed harder on my rise and shielded later.

MMR groups seem to have settled down, at least a little... I'm still seeing decently high level teams, but none that I would call "impossible" - most of the point spreads for wins are between 18 and 28 now. Not being able to boost every single attempt probably helped in this aspect. Also seeing more defensive wins, again, this probably has a lot to say about the boost situation.

My one complaint is that I wish that there was a way to queue an attack on the top X players in your bracket. The people who sit up there unshielded with 2*s for the last few hours must wonder why shields exist. I'd love to show them... icon_e_biggrin.gif

Cheers
  • Clint wrote:
    klingsor wrote:
    Omg! I broke the shield, then lost! Costing myself 27 points in the process. Then I won again, shielded, and found that I had actually less points than before I broke my shields. Waited for retal, then broke shields, put Hulkin and re-shielded (hoping to get a defensive win from Hulk). In the meantime, people have come out of nowhere, and even though I have a net 9 point improvement score, I am now at #4. If I fall from top 5, the 3 cheapo shields I bought would have been for nothing.

Here is another thing, something fishie is going on. When I was unshielded I cycled through 10 teams. They all had Spiderman's. Once I shielded, my queues were free of Spidermans. It was almost like it was enticing me to attack. If Someone else notices something like this I would be curious to know. Sure it could be a coincidence, but maybe not...

Queue up your target before you un-shield.

Yeah. the problem was I wiped myself on my unshield, because I thought (incorrectly) that I could swap a faster team (no spidey) in order to sneak two wins. What Happened is I got wiped out, and I started running low on health packs, so I had to go to my Patch + Spidey Pairing, than when facing other SM's, can get pretty slow.

The main problem I had was that climbing was too easy, but once you are at the top, you have to use a shield since you can't really climb more than 40 points in one fight, and being 40 points from the top means you are a target. I still don't know how to behave when I'm at the top. Had I never unshielded I probably would have still finished top 5, but who knows. I like the strategy of unshielding and attacking then reshielding, but it can get pretty costly. Had I never took shields down, I would have won 3 Doom covers for no cost. Can't imagine you guys winning tournaments on the days before shields!