5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're at the point where you have a realistic shot of fully covering a 4*, you're not likely to be screwed over by rostering a 5*. I'm talking about people who've yet to max a 3* or who hold their whole roster at level 94.

Wanting to cover your characters is nice, but if it's going to ruin the game for you if you draw a 5*, then wait a little while and see if the devs ever come up with a solution.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Could they make the 5* toons start at level 1 and only cost 1 ISO per level to level up to what is their starting level now?
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    madok wrote:
    Could they make the 5* toons start at level 1 and only cost 1 ISO per level to level up to what is their starting level now?

They could do something like this, or they could make it so he doesn't effect scaling, or other solutions. The thing though is it has been two months, and they have declined to comment on this issue at all. Odds are things will never change. If you are low level you need to open those legendary tokens to get more 4 stars so you can compete in PVE by doing 4 star essential nodes. If you are unlucky enough to pull a 5 star, then you either sell the most valuable token in the game, or you are stuck with a much harder PVE and an even harder PVP.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    mindsuckr wrote:
    madok wrote:

They could do something like this, or they could make it so he doesn't effect scaling, or other solutions. The thing though is it has been two months, and they have declined to comment on this issue at all. Odds are things will never change. If you are low level you need to open those legendary tokens to get more 4 stars so you can compete in PVE by doing 4 star essential nodes. If you are unlucky enough to pull a 5 star, then you either sell the most valuable token in the game, or you are stuck with a much harder PVE and an even harder PVP.

And if you sell it, it is for only 2k iso... which is awful.

Hence my topic here, which I'd love to see more support for: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=34305
  • Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    I'm at the point that ss I is ruining my pvp. My highest besides ss the game destroyer is Hulk at 130.

So any advice? Sell it even though that sucks? Or wait?

icon_e_confused.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Mazza wrote:
    I'm at the point that ss I is ruining my pvp. My highest besides ss the game destroyer is Hulk at 130.

icon_e_confused.gif

You have to play the patience game. Even though the presence of a level 255 character will jack up your scaling, it's not like your trivial/easy nodes will break 200 level. Scaling doesn't work that way. I would still keep SS for pvp and pve grinding, and try to raise my other characters on the roster on a tier basis---i.e. raise 3 guys at a time.
  • I did found some difference in PvP scaling after getting the silver surfer (With most of my team are characters of level 130)
    Not sure if that have effect on PvE too, or is it just some sort of different for Enemy of State only
    The old man logan is also waiting for recruit, I am not sure whether to recruit him or sell them both icon_e_sad.gif
  • Mazza
    puppychow wrote:
    Mazza wrote:

icon_e_confused.gif

You have to play the patience game. Even though the presence of a level 255 character will jack up your scaling, it's not like your trivial/easy nodes will break 200 level. Scaling doesn't work that way. I would still keep SS for pvp and pve grinding, and try to raise my other characters on the roster on a tier basis---i.e. raise 3 guys at a time.

ss is killing me in pvp. I get maxed 166 teams or higher when buffed. I don't know how to compete there anymore.
  • Green83
    Green83 Posts: 52 Match Maker
    edited October 2015
    Mazza wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    Mazza wrote:

icon_e_confused.gif

ss is killing me in pvp. I get maxed 166 teams or higher when buffed. I don't know how to compete there anymore.

Without buffed characters, my highest characters are 94. And even I run into these teams in PVP without having a Silver Surfer. Last event (SG at 118 buffed, Storm at 150 buffed) I couldn't get any beatable nodes anymore, all teams with Hulkbusters and Jean's (multi covered ones at 220+). So might not just be SS causing this for you, something to keep in mind before you sell it
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've experienced this first hand. I could break 700 or 800 points on PVP before rostering OML as the teams I faced were about my level, since rostering him once I've beaten those super low level 'feeder' teams every opponent has a maxed 3* roster, I'm currently in 3* transition so these teams just wipe the floor with me. I don't even bother with PVP now.

It would be far better to use the mode of someone's team level rather than the average.

The mode (for anyone who is not in the field of maths or statistics) is the most commonly occurring value in a data set. So for example the mode of my roster would be 94 and I would therefore be matched with teams at a that level and as OML 255 only appears once he would have no effect on my match making.

*I should also note that OML has had no effect on my PVE scaling at all, only PVP.
  • Mazza
    Green83 wrote:
    Mazza wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    Mazza wrote:

icon_e_confused.gif

Without buffed characters, my highest characters are 94. And even I run into these teams in PVP without having a Silver Surfer. Last event (SG at 118 buffed, Storm at 150 buffed) I couldn't get any beatable nodes anymore, all teams with Hulkbusters and Jean's. So might not just be SS causing this for you, something to keep in mind before you sell it

Thanks for this. I will keep it in mind. But for me it's not run into, but only encounter. I use a shatload of iso to find one team I can take on. I just want to know if I'd be better off without ss or not. Right now I don't know but I do know pvp has become so much harder.
  • puppychow
    Mazza wrote:

I'll be brutally honest. You DON'T compete in pvp unless you got the LATEST super duper max 4*s. Look at the lat two 4* releases: Rulk, 4cyk. When the 4cyk pvp was running, I actually came across a few maxed out 345 guys. Having or not having 5* guys on your roster won't make a difference. The difference maker is really having a ton of max guys (3s and 4s) that you could rotate and utilize when buffed for the week.

Let me give you an example with the just ended Squirrel Girl event. Even with my underleveled roster, I was facing plenty of max HB/Jean teams (that is prior to having OML on my roster, btw). I still manage to beat those defenses for 50-70 points. How? By taking advantage of the weekly buffs for Laken and Rogers and using those two for my attack.

Let me repeat. The key to competing in pvp is having a core of max 3s and 4s to turn to when buffed for the week, along with the featured character at max level. If your roster is set up that way, you can handle anything AI matchmaking throws at you.
  • puppychow
    Mazza wrote:

Thanks for this. I will keep it in mind. But for me it's not run into, but only encounter. I use a shatload of iso to find one team I can take on. I just want to know if I'd be better off without ss or not. Right now I don't know but I do know pvp has become so much harder.

It could take a few events for MMR to realign. I know that when D3 raised the maximum character levels and automatically leveled my characters, I was having a really tough time with pvp because my 3* roster was facing 4s right after seeds. My commander at the time actually quit the game (last May) because of this.
  • Mazza
    Thanks for all the advice, is really appreciated.

I just find it weird that I managed to get at least 400-500 points in a pvp event last season and now I'm struggling to get even near 400.

The biggest difference between the seasons is ss. But maybe I jumped to a conclusion. It's just frustrating I can't get along now, that I can't at least get an event token and that I don't feel progression. The opposite even.
  • Mazza wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, is really appreciated.

I just find it weird that I managed to get at least 400-500 points in a pvp event last season and now I'm struggling to get even near 400.

The biggest difference between the seasons is ss. But maybe I jumped to a conclusion. It's just frustrating I can't get along now, that I can't at least get an event token and that I don't feel progression. The opposite even.

FWIW, I'm having the exact same experience, starting with the moment I rostered $$.

Not sure what can be done about it, but I can tell you that unless we're all suffering from an extended case of Folie à deux, which is needless to say highly unlikely, it's real.

DBC
  • Viking Tacos
    Viking Tacos Posts: 139 Tile Toppler
    I am at the tail end of my 3* transition, the strongest 3*s are soft capped @ level 140 and all of the rest are just behind them. I have been hitting 1k regularly in pvp (pve can get off my lawn) and I see my roster lining up for the 4* transition. I'm ready for that... I have a number of 4* covers and the collection rate is increasing due to pvp success. But let me say this clearly...

5*s, DO NOT WANT

I hide my useless 4*s in the middle of my roster while I have success with 3*s, just like I did with my 3*s while I had success with 2*s. But the reality is: You can't hide 5*s, they drop into your scaling like a bomb.

I am aware of their rarity and their shiny, but the 5*s are mpq's sirens that tempt Odysseus and his crew. I will resist the sirens' call, and sell any surfers, omls, or whoevers, or whatevers until my roster can support them.
  • Mazza

I am aware of their rarity and their shiny, but the 5*s are mpq's sirens that tempt Odysseus and his crew. I will resist the sirens' call, and sell any surfers, omls, or whoevers, or whatevers until my roster can support them.

I like this analogy. Food for thought.
  • ZekeBarrett
    ZekeBarrett Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Solution?! Here is my reply from d3 about any 5*fix...
    Greetings D3 Go! Customer,

Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

Unfortunately, we are not permitted to disclose future plans for the game. However, a lot of information you might want to know can be found on the forums. There you will find the most up-to-date details for the game, and can join discussions about the topics you find the most interesting, or even begin a conversation yourself!"
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    Solution?! Here is my reply from d3 about any 5*fix...
    Greetings D3 Go! Customer,

Thank you for contacting D3 Go! Customer Support.

Unfortunately, we are not permitted to disclose future plans for the game. However, a lot of information you might want to know can be found on the forums. There you will find the most up-to-date details for the game, and can join discussions about the topics you find the most interesting, or even begin a conversation yourself!"

Does this mean they are possibly working on a fix? I'm very close to selling mine so I can PVP without spending more than I make on skipping tax, but would hold off if a possible fix was incoming.
  • Philly79
    Philly79 Posts: 422 Mover and Shaker
    I cashed in my 12 Lt's right after Rulk/ Iceman/ Classy Cyc were added to the pool and the first one was SS black. I was kinda excited that I had finally gotten him but held off on rostering him for fear of the scaling problem (at the time my highest chars were 180 IMHB & JG) after a few days I got scared that I would accidentally sell him so I added him to the roster and bam like a punch in the face here are fully covered max teams that I am facing, including a few Cyc's and Rulk's (whales).

I did not roster him until after the recent patch as it was said that the 5* affect on scaling would be fixed with this patch but um no, it is not. I submitted a ticket as this is a messed up way to introduce 5*'s "oh awesome I finally pulled SS/OML/3rd!!! oh wait I cannot roster them because I will get slaughtered in PVP and my PVE scaling will go through the roof!!. Oh yeah and it expires in two weeks, I better make some drastic roster improvements or sell the cover!? But wait, haven't I cashed in a bunch of tokens and just finally pulled one, I can't sell it! But I have to as it will render my roster useless!"