5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• I pulled a yellow OML. Maybe it's the specific cover I pulled but I think that any positives from using him outweigh the negatives for my level ~120 capped roster. In PvE he is always tanking red/yellow/black/teamup so that saves health packs until I get to the last node of a sub, at that point it's more of a trade-off because I don't get any active abilities from him and two powerful shots can take him out. In PvP I was pretty much facing level 166 teams after hitting 300 points in each event anyway, but now I'm actually able to push through to 400-500 points in recent events because I am willing to take on some of those teams that I wouldn't touch before.
  • I just pulled a blackflag.png OML from the LT I bought with CP's. icon_e_confused.gif ...

I don't know what to do. My roster is comprised of fully covered 3*'s capped at 131, and no 4*'s even close to completion. I recently realized the transition to 4* land is impossible without maxing out my 3*'s, so I've slowly and selectively begun to bring some up to 166. I have about 8 166's now...

Since my transition, I've been able to hit 1000 in PVP for the first time ever in each PVP this season (it's still quite difficult, but doable with tactful shield hops). I do not want to jeopardize this newly accessible (and vital) aspect of the game I can now enjoy and use to speed up my 4* transition.

From the sounds of it, a 5* added to a team of 166's will up your PVE scaling (I'm okay with that), but it's the PVP that gives me pause... There are too many conflicting reports to feel comfortable.

I truly wish the dev's would produce some hard facts. Until I know more I have <14 days to decide... Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    ANY WORD how close of a fix this is going to be..

My tops were like 150 in PVE they are now 220.. besides my 1 5 star have noone over 95

Start leveling your 3*s and try hitting those nodes. Level until it feels like a reasonable opponent level. I have unmaxed 3*s and so far haven't noticed any difference with my oml.

pushing 3 stars will just push the AI on PVP harder. or is PVP based on your highest level.

either way about to leave anyways got all 3 stars max and really dont feel like pushing top 2 every PVE and spending tons on shilds on PVP
  • I just pulled a blackflag.png OML from the LT I bought with CP's. icon_e_confused.gif ...

I don't know what to do. My roster is comprised of fully covered 3*'s capped at 131, and no 4*'s even close to completion. I recently realized the transition to 4* land is impossible without maxing out my 3*'s, so I've slowly and selectively begun to bring some up to 166. I have about 8 166's now...

Since my transition, I've been able to hit 1000 in PVP for the first time ever in each PVP this season (it's still quite difficult, but doable with tactful shield hops). I do not want to jeopardize this newly accessible (and vital) aspect of the game I can now enjoy and use to speed up my 4* transition.

From the sounds of it, a 5* added to a team of 166's will up your PVE scaling (I'm okay with that), but it's the PVP that gives me pause... There are too many conflicting reports to feel comfortable.

I truly wish the dev's would produce some hard facts. Until I know more I have <14 days to decide... Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

PVP seems better, but not 100% fixed. I still have to skip some maxed 4s here and there, but it doesn't seem as bad as before. The seem to know it's a problem and are working on making changes to PVE, so that may spill over to PVP too. The one thing you can take comfort in knowing though is that if you don't like how a 5 changes things that selling them will bring it right back to normal with the next event.

The fact that you have so many 166s means you might not see any change. My vote is to recruit the 5 and see how you like it.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    slidecage wrote:
    ANY WORD how close of a fix this is going to be..

My tops were like 150 in PVE they are now 220.. besides my 1 5 star have noone over 95

Start leveling your 3*s and try hitting those nodes. Level until it feels like a reasonable opponent level. I have unmaxed 3*s and so far haven't noticed any difference with my oml.

pushing 3 stars will just push the AI on PVP harder. or is PVP based on your highest level.

either way about to leave anyways got all 3 stars max and really dont feel like pushing top 2 every PVE and spending tons on shilds on PVP

Top 3/4 I think, but with the buffs, a high level 3* is counted about the same as 4* anyway, so I haven't noticed any change in my pvp and pve experience yet.

Why are you so afraid to try taking on opponents on your same level when you already have all your 3*s covered as you say? Using covered 3*s against 2*s is pretty much a joke even when the 2*s are buffed, plus you don't need a lot of shields to hit 1k. Zero if you're lucky, 1 or 2 if not.
  • dr tinykittylove
    I just pulled a blackflag.png OML from the LT I bought with CP's. icon_e_confused.gif ...

Like mindsuckr said, if you already have a strong 3* roster, a 5* shouldn't shake things up too much especially if your boosted characters for the week are also maxed or close to it.

I rostered my OML at the start of the Heroic pve after X23 pve, and haven't really noticed a difference to either my pvp or pve yet. Simulator too - still get a mixed bag of teams from 2*-4*. Will complain here if that changes.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    I just pulled a blackflag.png OML from the LT I bought with CP's. icon_e_confused.gif ...

I rostered one and am in pretty exactly your boat (eight 166s). It changed my PVP, and I'm not hitting those 1000s anymore, but 800 is usually doable before the Jeanbusters start. That probably doesn't sound like a recommendation, but with where you're at, I'd roster him because you're on the cusp of the 4* move, and once you get the ISO to have some more boosted characters maxed (which brings them to 270, on par with OML's level), you'll be back in it.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453

I don't know what to do. My roster is comprised of fully covered 3*'s capped at 131, and no 4*'s even close to completion. I recently realized the transition to 4* land is impossible without maxing out my 3*'s, so I've slowly and selectively begun to bring some up to 166. I have about 8 166's now....

You do realize that if buffed, your 166s will be 240s right? icon_lol.gif Thus, even WITHOUT the presence of OML pve scaling could be based off level 240. If that's the case, then having a 255 wouldn't make the scaling go out of whack for you. Now if your highest level character is like 94, THEN OML would screw up your pve scaling.

I think you're safe. If you have 8x166s, you could handle it. icon_lol.gif
  • slidecage
    my highest was 90 dont ask me why but i kept my people that low for the hell of it. It pushed the ess nodes from 90 to 120 and the final nodes from 150 to 185 starting at. I just noticed tonight though the Ess nodes started around 100, Wonder cause im so far behind in pts or the game is starting to figure out i wont play at 120 LOL
  • puppychow wrote:

You do realize that if buffed, your 166s will be 240s right? icon_lol.gif Thus, even WITHOUT the presence of OML pve scaling could be based off level 240. If that's the case, then having a 255 wouldn't make the scaling go out of whack for you. Now if your highest level character is like 94, THEN OML would screw up your pve scaling.

Believe me, I've considered this! My biggest concern is the conflicting reports I've read regarding how scaling is initially determined: some say it's based off your highest level character, while others say it's your top 3. I've even read it's your entire fist page. If scaling was set based off your 1 strongest character, then adding OML won't change much for me. However if the case was the top 3 option, I could be in for drastically unwanted changes in PVP (PVE scaling is more of an annoyance, while PVP scaling can be a compete road-block).

Thanks to all who have shared their input regarding my plight.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:

Believe me, I've considered this! My biggest concern is the conflicting reports I've read regarding how scaling is initially determined: some say it's based off your highest level character, while others say it's your top 3. I've even read it's your entire fist page. If scaling was set based off your 1 strongest character, then adding OML won't change much for me. However if the case was the top 3 option, I could be in for drastically unwanted changes in PVP (PVE scaling is more of an annoyance, while PVP scaling can be a compete road-block).

Thanks to all who have shared their input regarding my plight.
    CS says it's based off your top 3 characters, boosts included, calculated each sub event
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    I rostered one and am in pretty exactly your boat (eight 166s). It changed my PVP, and I'm not hitting those 1000s anymore, but 800 is usually doable before the Jeanbusters start. That probably doesn't sound like a recommendation, but with where you're at, I'd roster him because you're on the cusp of the 4* move, and once you get the ISO to have some more boosted characters maxed (which brings them to 270, on par with OML's level), you'll be back in it.

same boat here, except for i had 155's when i rostered 2 5*s. but i still don't see any change in pvp - this is my 3rd season of consistently hitting 1k or higher, and i honestly can't say that anything seems different these days.

the part about the jeanbusters after 800 is true, but it was true for me even before rostering my 5*s! am i the only one that thinks that jeanbusters are just the hot new jam, so that's all you see now? i personally think it's less to do with MMR, and much more to do with their popularity, and the lack of targets >800ish.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Yes, Jean Grey is a pain to deal with. BUT she is still beatable. That's is from personal experience with my underleveled roster. icon_twisted.gif
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML doesn't affect PVE in regards to your scaling. I've also found he doesn't affect PVP either apart from Sim. I have a roster of mostly lvl 94 2* characters with a few undercovered 3* here and there and it's made no difference apart from Shield Sim (which is now so insane I couldn't even win any of my nodes at all). I've even used OML in both PVE and PVP to see if that changed anything and it did not.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    Checked this thread today for 1st time, as I have got my 1st 5* recently. Have read 1st 5 pages then skipped all but nonblue posts (all Malcrof's!).

In any case, you should never have to consider to sell a cover because of severe interference with your gameplay. A player building his 2* or 3* roster will have plenty of trouble managing the amount of slots, let's allow them to keep a shiny high-power cover and dream of the future.

Several reasonable posible solutions have been posted, I think Bob summarized it:
    * Lower starting 5* level (I'd say around 166, maxed 3*)
    * Removing expiration from 5*, maybe 4* too; I guess expiration has a technical reason, so people do not overflow accounts with thousands of 1/2* covers, butthis will never be the case with 5*.
    * Increase the sample size taken for scaling (I'd strongly pick this). There is like 85 characters already out, using 3 characters to measure a roster is just ridiculous; I'd say 5 at the very least, but better take top 10.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Here is my problem: I'm in the 2* to 3* transition phase, with no one higher than level 120. I drew an OML yellow and I have DEFINITELY noticed a difference in PVE. I used to see level 160 guys at the highest nodes, and now routinely see over 200. But my bigger problem is now this: I HAVE to use OML to tank for my weaker guys otherwise I have no chance even against level 160 teams. And now in the final day of the Prodigal Sun event, Wolverine is everywhere including the essential nodes, so I cannot use OML. The only serviceable member of my team is unavailable to me. So I've been grinding and grinding (with OML) trying to get that legendary token at the end and now I most likely won't be able to because I cannot use the best player on my roster in most of the nodes. I don't see how this is fair/reasonable?!
  • slidecage
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:
    Here is my problem: I'm in the 2* to 3* transition phase, with no one higher than level 120. I drew an OML yellow and I have DEFINITELY noticed a difference in PVE. I used to see level 160 guys at the highest nodes, and now routinely see over 200. But my bigger problem is now this: I HAVE to use OML to tank for my weaker guys otherwise I have no chance even against level 160 teams. And now in the final day of the Prodigal Sun event, Wolverine is everywhere including the essential nodes, so I cannot use OML. The only serviceable member of my team is unavailable to me. So I've been grinding and grinding (with OML) trying to get that legendary token at the end and now I most likely won't be able to because I cannot use the best player on my roster in most of the nodes. I don't see how this is fair/reasonable?!

same here advice i got was SELL the 5 star. THink that is bad the group im with in my tablet account is the same way hit old man logan and had 4 more tokens to open. Goes maybe i will open up a SS to bring 2 5 stars to the battle , nope got 2 more logan so they just quit think it took logan up to 300+ and his next was 110
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e wrote:

The subject of scaling has always been one which nobody really knows the answer to. I have a roster where my strongest characters are 2* (I'm a 3* transitioner too) and I have an OML which I have used in the last 2 PVE and found it didn't make a difference. I was seeing lvl 200+ villains 3 PVE's ago despite them being more than 100 levels above my best characters. For some reason this has calmed down with this PVE and the toughest I've seen is on Thunderbolt Mountain where the Kingpin node villains are all 205 but before today they were around 120 or so.

Like you I did experience a sudden jump in my enemy levels, but this was before OML, and they have now calmed down gain. Have no idea what causes it but hang there.

Shield sim though...that's another story. I can't say for definite that OML caused it as it's simply a correlation but as soon as I rostered him all my shield sim nodes were filled with teams that had a min of two 4* maxed characters. I've given up on that.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    What I'm confused about is this - if you are a 2*-3* transitioner, why are you even opening legendary tokens?

If you're done the 3* transition and want to move on to 4*, why would you be gimping your roster - after all, a 4* at level 120 is not very good.

If you get a 5*, it means you were seeking it out by opening legendary tokens. The only time you should be opening them is if you're ready to.

Think of how much easier it will be to transition if you are collecting these tokens all the while continuing to build your 3* roster. Once ready, BOOM - opening spree and most likely you'll get a playable 4* or 2 out of it.

The one thing I do agree with completely is that the number of characters to determine scaling needs to increase. Make it the top 10% of your roster (round up always - 85 slots = average of top 9).

But don't be afraid of a challenge if your roster is actually able to handle one and the only stopping you is you. "Scary teams" in PVP aren't really that scary a lot of times since the AI is dumb, and I'm pretty sure PVE considers your gameplay, so if you get slaughtered, the levels should come down to a more reasonable level.
  • dr tinykittylove
    rbdragon wrote:
    What I'm confused about is this - if you are a 2*-3* transitioner, why are you even opening legendary tokens?

If you're done the 3* transition and want to move on to 4*, why would you be gimping your roster - after all, a 4* at level 120 is not very good.

If you get a 5*, it means you were seeking it out by opening legendary tokens. The only time you should be opening them is if you're ready to.

Think of how much easier it will be to transition if you are collecting these tokens all the while continuing to build your 3* roster. Once ready, BOOM - opening spree and most likely you'll get a playable 4* or 2 out of it.

The one thing I do agree with completely is that the number of characters to determine scaling needs to increase. Make it the top 10% of your roster (round up always - 85 slots = average of top 9).

But don't be afraid of a challenge if your roster is actually able to handle one and the only stopping you is you. "Scary teams" in PVP aren't really that scary a lot of times since the AI is dumb, and I'm pretty sure PVE considers your gameplay, so if you get slaughtered, the levels should come down to a more reasonable level.

Transitioners do need the 4*s - it is hell enough with a developing roster on hard nodes scaling up as you grind them down, it is worse when one of your three is functionally useless.

Plus sometimes lucky pulls can really change your game - I was a 2-3* transitioner with an extremely lucky well-covered xforce when he was originally buffed; I got a bunch of lucky hulkbuster pulls during Ultron - both top-tier 4*s at the time, and that made the transition go that much faster, smoother.

If they're going to rely on event tokens and placement/pvp progressions to build their 4*s, with the number of 4*s now in play with more planned... it's just not going to happen.

Agree that scaling needs to account for a larger proportion of the roster, don't understand why they can't fix that.

Also agree that people should try taking on tough teams -it's good practise and experience.