5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• I guess I'll just keep posting it so others don't have to keep speculating...

Two unused 5*s, scaling in PvE, MMR in PvP, and Ant-Man event all out of control.

Essentially shut out of all but "Trivial" nodes, matched with 270s, and barely whaled out of the second node, respectively.

Roster of Level 127-130 3*s.

DBC
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    colwag wrote:
    This is still a rather scary possibility.

I hear that PVE isn't effected if you don't use the character, but PVP is?

I just drew a Phoenix and as somebody who's top characters are 128 at most, and 94 for most of the others, tossing in a 250 sounds kinda scary.

Do we have any more solid conclusions by now?

PVE is effect if you use it or not.. I had all of my people at 90 or below when i got my logan. It pushed the Ess nodes from 90 to 120. it pushed the final nod from 160 to 190

i pushed everyone up to 120 just to make it playable again
  • slidecage wrote:
    colwag wrote:

I just drew a Phoenix and as somebody who's top characters are 128 at most, and 94 for most of the others, tossing in a 250 sounds kinda scary.

PVE is effect if you use it or not.. I had all of my people at 90 or below when i got my logan. It pushed the Ess nodes from 90 to 120. it pushed the final nod from 160 to 190

My 130s were "mostly" fine with my single 5* as well. Not great, but manageable.

The second 5* just blew things up in a way I hadn't thought possible, despite knowing D3's track record for "increasing the fun."

Kind of hoping that pushing 6-9 of my heroes to 150+ makes things doable again, but I cannot actually earn meaningful amounts of ISO to level my characters, aside from the DDQ, because I cannot really play anything as it stands.

DBC
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    colwag wrote:

this scares me, have a 270 $$ with top roster spots pushing 140 each, and just scored a phoenix today.

My 130s were "mostly" fine with my single 5* as well. Not great, but manageable.

The second 5* just blew things up in a way I hadn't thought possible, despite knowing D3's track record for "increasing the fun."

Kind of hoping that pushing 6-9 of my heroes to 150+ makes things doable again, but I cannot actually earn meaningful amounts of ISO to level my characters, aside from the DDQ, because I cannot really play anything as it stands.

DBC
  • slidecage
    slidecage wrote:
    colwag wrote:

DBC

never though a 2nd 5 star would effect it that bad... How much did it push your PVE up... if that is the case i might just be holding onto my tokens until i have enough to push at least 8 of my people to 166

have enough to take 4 .... at 100K per pop might not be till spring till i open up LT lol
  • IceIX Wrote:
    The fixes to Attack tiles and the like will be coming with R89, along with a fix to the tech that caused those display bugs to start with. At that point, it's a matter of tracking down each one and squishing it. Luckily, most, if not all, of that can be done server side.

R89 will have no changes to scaling or matchmaking.

Still we wait.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    My roster is mostly comprised of level 140 (I haven't updated my roster in a while but it's probably not much different than what it is now).

My final Growth Industry maxed at 135. It took me one try to finish it.

A friend of mine has a mostly 166 roster (about 20+) plus a 200 or so Nick Fury and a 270 SS.

His final node was at 188.

Our Antmans are about the same with a handful of covers. Five days in he saw wave 4 for the first time, I'm not sure he made it.
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2015
    I am so confused...

I have SS with 3 covers - 2 red 1 black and took him to 260

I use him as a meat shield when really not sure I can win a node and he takes all the damage

But I have noticed a distinct difference in the events - Antman event second run I couldn't get past the 3 node - mind you I couldn't pass the third wave in that node!!

Before that my best was 166 GSBW - and I LOVE that girl!! At 5/3/5 and paired with 128 SW 3/5/3 - a pretty invincible team DPD 3* smashed everyday with the third character DD OR BP

Events the same - even the last gauntlet only missed 2 nodes...
    This gauntlet though is much tougher not to mention the day before it started I got a Jean Grey Phoenix

I thought I had read somewhere that the devs were going to 'rebalance' the game to take into account the jump up from 5 stars - perhaps I am wrong here - maybe my overall roster is stronger than I thought and while I rarely play PvP - I am regularly a top 50 in events, and even pull off a few top 10's

68 covers and played for 271 days... Still confused by scaling and if I should keep SS
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have 3* roster (around 10 maxed) and just started to add levels to hulkbuster and godess above that cap.

Having SS at 250 did nothing significant to my scaling. But adding one cover Phoenix and guntlet is basicaly unplayable. I will be able to tell more with the next pve but it looks like i am on the screwd section of players.
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    I'll keep beating on this drum / horse....

I think it is absolutely freaking ridiculous that we are still waiting for this fix despite being told during the 5* release info / posts that 5* would NOT destroy scaling. They should've thought this thru before releasing the 5* (and they seemingly did based on posts), but in reality it's a giant clusterfudge and here we are 2 months later and they haven't fixed anything.

There is no way that busting your butt to earn Legendary Tokens and then being lucky enough to get a 5* should be seen as a penalty. What other game has a set up like that?!??!

IT MAKES NO SENSE AND SHOULD BE FIXED NOW! And, not just PVE, but PVP, too.
  • slidecage
    LordXberk wrote:

I think it is absolutely freaking ridiculous that we are still waiting for this fix despite being told during the 5* release info / posts that 5* would NOT destroy scaling. They should've thought this thru before releasing the 5* (and they seemingly did based on posts), but in reality it's a giant clusterfudge and here we are 2 months later and they haven't fixed anything.

There is no way that busting your butt to earn Legendary Tokens and then being lucky enough to get a 5* should be seen as a penalty. What other game has a set up like that?!??!

i would really REALLY REALLY be shocked to see this issue fix before the middle of jan. They had to work on CP to make sure it worked and then the 2 to 3 new story lines and now their big goal is the new gameplay feature that is to hit By Jan 2016, so i highly doubt they are really working on getting a fix to this anytime soon

1 5 i think most people with 120s can handle , its the 2 or 3 5 stars thats going to kill you. If you cant bring at least 10 people to 120+ there is no reason to tempt to open up these packs
  • PeeOne
    PeeOne Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    LordXberk wrote:

Thanks - you have confirmed for me I'm not going mad- it was in the release info about the scaling not changing too much - I couldn't find it anywhere
  • Just recruit two phoenix from legendary, not sure to recruit her or not
    The scaling may just climb up by 20 lv after recruiting her and greatly hurt my performance in PvE icon_e_sad.gif
  • I wish I would have read this before rostering 5* Jean. I am in the 2*-3* and don't have any one to boost up to compensate for the scaling increase. I barely made it though the fist sub of the gauntlet, stuck on the second node of the second sub.

Now I need to decide if I should sell her before Ghost Rider event starts.
  • slidecage
    lok123456 wrote:
    Just recruit two phoenix from legendary, not sure to recruit her or not
    The scaling may just climb up by 20 lv after recruiting her and greatly hurt my performance in PvE icon_e_sad.gif

if you can scale at least 10 people to

120 i say you can have 1 5 star with no major problems
    166 maybe 2 ?
    some max out 4 stars before 3

i had noone over 90 and put one 5 star into play and it jacked up my levels by 30

90s to 120 on ess nodes
  • slidecage wrote:
    lok123456 wrote:
    Just recruit two phoenix from legendary, not sure to recruit her or not

if you can scale at least 10 people to

120 i say you can have 1 5 star with no major problems
    166 maybe 2 ?
    some max out 4 stars before 3

i had noone over 90 and put one 5 star into play and it jacked up my levels by 30

90s to 120 on ess nodes
    my roster are mainly level 136
    If I am right, weekly buff are counted in the scaling?
    the level up of around 20 makes a difficult start for me, quite impossible to be competitive if I rostered jean grey
    But did D3 really going to fix this scaling problem of 5*?
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    lok123456 wrote:
    the level up of around 20 makes a difficult start for me, quite impossible to be competitive if I rostered jean grey

Scaling does take buffed characters into account. So for a roster like mine, I haven't seen a huge shift in scaling. For your roster, that definitely would be a bigger jump.

The funny thing is everyone is saying they are going to fix the scaling issue. From watching the video where they talked about it, it really sounds like they want to address people not wanting to level up their rosters. Which doesn't really fix the 5* issue.

If they want to force the issue in a totally stupid way, I could see them start scaling everyone's experience by the potential levels of your roster. So if you have fully covered 3* toons, it will act like you have them all max leveled.
  • madok wrote:
    lok123456 wrote:

Scaling does take buffed characters into account. So for a roster like mine, I haven't seen a huge shift in scaling. For your roster, that definitely would be a bigger jump.

The funny thing is everyone is saying they are going to fix the scaling issue. From watching the video where they talked about it, it really sounds like they want to address people not wanting to level up their rosters. Which doesn't really fix the 5* issue.

If they want to force the issue in a totally stupid way, I could see them start scaling everyone's experience by the potential levels of your roster. So if you have fully covered 3* toons, it will act like you have them all max leveled.
    The most difficult part is that when the buff character are taken into account, I am not always using them in the fight (mostly some favorite team will be used more) With the 5* joining in, it makes my scaling even worse

Am I right that they said they will try to fix it in the video? But I am probably not going to recruit 5* until they really figure out way to fix it
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    lok123456 wrote:

Am I right that they said they will try to fix it in the video? But I am probably not going to recruit 5* until they really figure out way to fix it

I went back and re-watched the video and they start talking about it around 8:27 into the video. They talk about addressing the issues that keep folks from leveling their characters and then mention 5*s not messing it up anymore afterwards.

The problem is they don't give specifics on that. They could mean that they are going to motivate folks to level up their 3* toons to 166 which in a way will mitigate the problem OR they might address it another way. Without specifics we don't know and they still haven't given us anymore details.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    madok wrote:
    lok123456 wrote:
    [...]

now THAT would be the perfect point to stop playing.