5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    My experience is that Heroics have always scaled based on the totality of your roster, not just on those usable.

Then i feel for those with 2 and 3* rosters, who pulled a 5*. I am also very glad they are working on a fix for it![/quote][/quote]

Initially speaking the OML cover I pulled 3 weeks ago did affect both my PVP and PVE scaling (more on PVP than PVE) but it seems now that has calmed down a bit - with the exception of Shield simulator which has my 94 level roster up against teams of 4* characters. Dunno why it only happens in shield sim but I have not even won a single match as all my shield sim nodes have 4* teams which I have zero chance of beating.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

Initially speaking the OML cover I pulled 3 weeks ago did affect both my PVP and PVE scaling (more on PVP than PVE) but it seems now that has calmed down a bit - with the exception of Shield simulator which has my 94 level roster up against teams of 4* characters. Dunno why it only happens in shield sim but I have not even won a single match as all my shield sim nodes have 4* teams which I have zero chance of beating.

Yeah, this season's been brutal for me with a rostered 5* until the Webslinger PVP. Prior to that, I hit the wall immediately upon knocking out the three seeds, struggled to 300, then did a quick battle up to 400 before getting beat back down in retaliation. With Webslinger, I'm fighting teams leveled approximately like my own. Don't know if they did a fix or if things just adjusted after a few events, but I feel like I can play again.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just rostered my first five star cover - Silver Surfer Black, from the daily reward (day 730 or somewhere around there). The top of my roster is (was) level 172 - Nick Fury, Invisible Woman, X-Force, 4Thor, all 172. So far WebSlinger hasn't done anything nasty - lots of 170-220 mixed teams, the occasional "10 ISO SKIP gang" boosted maxed 4-stars, and the infrequent tasty boosted 2-star team. I'll report back with any additional observations.
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    Puce Moose wrote:
    I just rostered my first five star cover - Silver Surfer Black, from the daily reward (day 730 or somewhere around there). The top of my roster is (was) level 172 - Nick Fury, Invisible Woman, X-Force, 4Thor, all 172. So far WebSlinger hasn't done anything nasty - lots of 170-220 mixed teams, the occasional "10 ISO SKIP gang" boosted maxed 4-stars, and the infrequent tasty boosted 2-star team. I'll report back with any additional observations.

Just for further clarity, did you recruit the 5* AFTER you have already entered the WebSlinger event? As far as I know, they check your roster strength at the point when you enter the event, and doesn't matter if you recruit or level up characters after that initial check.
  • Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    I didn't notice anything different, went from seed to way too high.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    ...getting purple from a Legendary token fills you with dread and foreboding instead of "WOO!"

As an aside, did IceIX or David give any kind of timetable on when the fix for 5* scaling is gonna land? I don't want to sell Silver Surfer yet if there's hope of a fix within the next two weeks, but like hell am I going to roster him yet, either. icon_e_sad.gif
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Are we ever going to get a red to respond to this thread or do we need to go post about it on reddit to get it addressed?
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    madok wrote:
    Are we ever going to get a red to respond to this thread or do we need to go post about it on reddit to get it addressed?

It was addressed in the Video, more info to come soon.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:

It was addressed in the Video, more info to come soon.

They mentioned PVE scaling in the video and potentially having a fix for it someday. I just want a confirmation from them that there is indeed consequences to rostering a 5* character if you don't have a bunch of maxed 4*s to go with it in PVE and PVP.

I've got a $$ cover that will expire in a couple days that I'm afraid to roster. I actually enjoy playing this game but from what I've read that would all end if I roster him. My highest 4* is at 166.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have no 4*s that are that level, but many maxed out 3*s and having a 2 cover OML leveled up to 271 has not had a great effect on my PVE nor PVP experiences. With boosted characters in every event checking it at level 240, a 5* is not that much higher.

I think the people with the biggest problem are those that have limited their rosters to levels well below 166. If your main guys are all level 94, throwing a level 255 character into the mix can skew things greatly.

They've mentioned (in the video) that they're planning to do something about it. 5* covers are going to be relatively rare in the long run, so I would avoid selling them if you can stand it.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    wooo i just got my first 5 star o ****.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    wooo i just got my first 5 star o ****.

me too! 5* SS Blue, pumped!
  • madok wrote:
    They mentioned PVE scaling in the video and potentially having a fix for it someday. I just want a confirmation from them that there is indeed consequences to rostering a 5* character if you don't have a bunch of maxed 4*s to go with it in PVE and PVP.

I've got a $$ cover that will expire in a couple days that I'm afraid to roster. I actually enjoy playing this game but from what I've read that would all end if I roster him. My highest 4* is at 166.

At your level you'll be 95% fine. Your PVE may go up some, but it'll be manageable. I doubt you'll see too much change in PVP either at your levels. I'm at 130 max chars and can still do both sides with some slight difficulty.
  • Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    madok wrote:

I feel like such a broken record but I want to know too. Pve is fine lately. Pvp sucks superhero balls.
  • To start, I am in mid 3* transition. Have all 3*, with 3 fully covered, 24 with 8-12 covers and the rest lingering in cover puberty. All are soft capped at 104 currently.

I rostered a SS (black icon_e_sad.gif ) about a week after his release and noticed an increase in difficulty in both PVE and PVP but nothing crazy. Currently sitting top five in Dark Avengers Heroic and can push to about 575 in PVP depending on who is boosted. Equilibrium point is about 450.

Being that today is only day 225 for me I am fine with how SS has affected my game. That being said, I just pulled an OML (red icon_e_sad.gif ) from my DA Legendary token and am curious if anyone else close to my roster level has rostered two 5*s and lived to tell the tale?

I'll most likely be adding him because, shiny, and will update y'all with how destroyed my game is.
  • slidecage
    should know around 6pm est how its going to effect my PVE

usually the Ess.nodes are 90 to 110...

At least this old man logan now makes the daily a easy win.. with 700 HP per turn back almost nothing can hurt him.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've got a Silver Surfer, and my next highest ranked is XFW at 147 and I've barely seen any difference with PVE or PVP. Sure, I only play PVP to the point where I get the 10 pack but barring a few skips of ridiculous fights they are all largely winnable.
  • slidecage
    ANY WORD how close of a fix this is going to be..

My tops were like 150 in PVE they are now 220.. besides my 1 5 star have noone over 95
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

My tops were like 150 in PVE they are now 220.. besides my 1 5 star have noone over 95

Start leveling your 3*s and try hitting those nodes. Level until it feels like a reasonable opponent level. I have unmaxed 3*s and so far haven't noticed any difference with my oml.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:

I fear you won't get what you are expecting, they didn't say they were changing how 5*s effect your scaling, they said they were going to make it so leveling your roster is always the best way to go.
    From the November video transcript

"The way difficulty works in story events... There's sometimes issues in story events where it can feel like it's not better to level up your characters so we're fixing that so it will always be better to progress in the game."