5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    grunth13 wrote:
    My problem with the scaling due to 5* is that if you are not ready for 4*, you can just horde those tokens for when you are ready....EXCEPT for the fact that 4* are freaking essentials in every pve (which the 2-3* transitioner needs to progress their roster) and the only reliable way to get them are through legendary tokens. Also, ICE said that 5* would not affect anyone's scaling and clearly he was wrong (not saying he was lying, just that he was wrong or uninformed or there is a glitch that they are still trying to work out).
    Yes. Exactly this. Also having to get rid of 4* covers sucks so you save them even though the roster isn't ready for it.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    With a roster of just a few covered 3* (up to 3 now) and a bunch between 114-94ish, I rostered Surfer and Old Man Logan.

At first? My pvps were impossible. Non stop full enemy teams of 240+ enemies. One time I skipped as many as 30 times and only found one team of 210/240/240.
    And this wasn't even at high points- I only had 147 points in the event.

After about 4-5 pvps, the system seems to have figured things out a little better. I can now usually get up to 500 points in a pvp before all my enemies are 240+, and even then some teams of about level 200 will show up randomly.

Overall this is fairly disappointing PVP wise, as I could routinely get to 700 points or so prior to rostering them.

PVE did NOT get noticeably harder. If it got harder at all, I couldn't tell. I would finish top 50 in PVE before rostering them, and I am still finishing in top 50 after rostering them.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had about the same as well in pvp, but pve had been dropping to bottom 100 long before adding SS. In the Sim I was 137 before screwing up by not playing at the end of one night and way too late the next day. The only difference I noticed was how hard the nodes on the left side continued to be. Couldn't even beat red hulk, and had to whale the Iceman node after burning through health packs and boosts. I noticed a slight upscaleing in pve when compared to an alliance member with a strong 3 star base roster versus my relatively weak 3 star roster. It wasn't much, but it was still there.
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Lee T wrote:
    I'm wondering what would be a safe level to roster a Silver Surfer. Is a bunch of 166 enough ?

That's where I'm at. I have an OML and SS. The difference seemed noticeable, but it's not causing me to not be able to compete. I don't regret rostering them, even if they are pretty useless at this point. I use them on trivial nodes with iron fist but that's about it.

this is exactly why i revisited this thread! i'm in a similar position - sitting on a SS and OML, with a 3* roster (top only 155 though). i'm not concerned about PVE, but if i can't continue to reliably hit 1k in PVP i'm really going to have to reconsider rostering them.

what have your PVP experiences been? is your MMR giving you primarily 4* match ups now, or is it manageable? would love to hear about your experiences so far.
  • wiz_biz wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Lee T wrote:
    I'm wondering what would be a safe level to roster a Silver Surfer. Is a bunch of 166 enough ?

That's where I'm at. I have an OML and SS. The difference seemed noticeable, but it's not causing me to not be able to compete. I don't regret rostering them, even if they are pretty useless at this point. I use them on trivial nodes with iron fist but that's about it.

this is exactly why i revisited this thread! i'm in a similar position - sitting on a SS and OML, with a 3* roster (top only 155 though). i'm not concerned about PVE, but if i can't continue to reliably hit 1k in PVP i'm really going to have to reconsider rostering them.

what have your PVP experiences been? is your MMR giving you primarily 4* match ups now, or is it manageable? would love to hear about your experiences so far.

So, this is a lot, and it's a bit confusing, but it's something.

Prior to rostering $$, all my 2*s and 3* were at L94. 2*s for obvious reasons, 3*s because I was looking for some "magic number" of heroes, hoping to bank enough ISO to level a large group at one time, plus concerns about scaling and MMR.

I rostered $$, and noticed an immediate jump in all enemy levels. PvE and PvP both jumped, but PvP was the most noticeable for me, with my queue regularly showing teams 100+ levels above me.

I hadn't been playing PvE for a while due to the unreasonable scheduling requirements, but joined on a whim and found that the "normal" fights I would have once been potentially able to beat with substantial damage were now not realistically attemptable, unless I used only boosted characters, and even then, not likely victories.

Flash forward a couple PvP seasons, bearing in mind I have still not used $$, like, ever. Also bear in mind that from here on out, this is all PvP information. I have essentially bailed on PvE semi-permanently.

I made the decision to start leveling my 3*s, in two stages:

Every 3* I could take to 120, I did. I then filled in all the leveling from all of my 3*s <120 (114, 111, 102, etc., as cards would allow).

I noticed that with significant effort and metric tons of ISO for skips, I could at least find fights that were potentially winnable, albeit many levels above me. I also noticed that my boosted characters were always approximately 40-50 levels below those of the opposing teams.

I could climb to 300-400, but not without spending what was likely all the ISO I was earning and then some.

I then decided to level all the 3*s I could to L130, and again fill in all those <130 as covers and ISO stores would allow.

During the WoM event, I did the best I have ever done in PvP. I hit 700, which was almost double my previous record. Again though, bear in mind I only started playing PvP shortly before $$ landed, so I don't have much data for the period preceding his arrival.

I'm still having to waste metric tons of ISO in skip taxes, but if I skip 20+ times, I can usually find an enemy that is somewhere around where I am strength-wise, which feels like a positive change.

I have no idea if any of my experience is real or simply imagined, but it feels like $$ blew out all of my scaling and MMR, and leveling my 3*s has at least begun to narrow the gap between the highest and the lowest, which I guess only makes sense.

As for you in particular? I would suspect that your 3*s, especially if you'd feel comfortable with going all the way to 166, should be fine, but who knows. You're starting 60 levels above me, but you also have two distinct 5*s, whereas I only had one… yeah, who knows.

Thank God $$ is my only 5*. icon_e_wink.gificon_lol.gif

tl;dr: 5*s have some effect on something, but nobody knows what or how much. Be careful out there. That way be monsters… and madness.

DBC
  • wiz_biz
    thanks for sharing DBC! really appreciate it, although not exactly loving what you report icon_e_wink.gif

PVP is what i really love more than anything else right now, and if rostering 2 5*s makes it impossible for me to consistently get the 1K prog with a near-max 3* roster, or even enjoy playing it, it will be a pretty sad state of affairs. but, SS expires tonight so i think i'll just roster him alone for now, jump into the red eye PVP, and see if things look wonky. supposing it goes well, i'll add OML before the next PVP and see what there is to be seen. i'm just hoping it's not a wall of 270's.
  • wiz_biz wrote:
    thanks for sharing DBC! really appreciate it, although not exactly loving what you report icon_e_wink.gif

PVP is what i really love more than anything else right now, and if rostering 2 5*s makes it impossible for me to consistently get the 1K prog with a near-max 3* roster, or even enjoy playing it, it will be a pretty sad state of affairs. but, SS expires tonight so i think i'll just roster him alone for now, jump into the red eye PVP, and see if things look wonky. supposing it goes well, i'll add OML before the next PVP and see what there is to be seen. i'm just hoping it's not a wall of 270's.

I think that's what I'd do. At your level, you might not even really notice it, and if you do, it's a pretty quick fix. icon_e_wink.gif

Good luck! icon_e_biggrin.gif

DBC
  • I rostered Silver Surfer right before the anniversary events started, but I haven't really noticed any difference in PVP or PVE. In fact, in the current Cyke PVP, I saw a bunch of Ares/Cyke/2*Daken until I reached about the 700 mark. And my highest node in the Deadpool PVE is a team of 230 Prof X/Widow/Fury.

Note: I have 14 3* at 166 and a couple of 4* hovering slightly above 166.
  • wiz_biz
    Qwertylot wrote:
    I rostered Silver Surfer right before the anniversary events started, but I haven't really noticed any difference in PVP or PVE. In fact, in the current Cyke PVP, I saw a bunch of Ares/Cyke/2*Daken until I reached about the 700 mark. And my highest node in the Deadpool PVE is a team of 230 Prof X/Widow/Fury.

i rostered my SS last night before joining red eye, and oddly saw the same kind of MMR - a lot more low level teams than i'm ever used to seeing...but by 500 or so things looked pretty normal.

i also joined dp vs. mpq after rostering him, i couldn't tell any difference in scaling on the essential nodes, those looked very normal! the px/fury/gsbw node was only at 211 (my avg roster level is about 150), so really, nothing to report there.

going to add OML before the R&G pvp to see if having 2 5*s knocks things out of whack, but pleased to say that so far, so good!
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I added OML to my roster as soon as I pulled him and didn't notice an appreciable difference in my PVE or PVP experience. I tend to run maxed and boosted 3*s through every event, though, so if there is a scaling effect, mine is being swamped by the rest of my roster and past performance.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    wiz_biz wrote:
    Qwertylot wrote:
    I rostered Silver Surfer right before the anniversary events started, but I haven't really noticed any difference in PVP or PVE. In fact, in the current Cyke PVP, I saw a bunch of Ares/Cyke/2*Daken until I reached about the 700 mark. And my highest node in the Deadpool PVE is a team of 230 Prof X/Widow/Fury.

i rostered my SS last night before joining red eye, and oddly saw the same kind of MMR - a lot more low level teams than i'm ever used to seeing...but by 500 or so things looked pretty normal.

i also joined dp vs. mpq after rostering him, i couldn't tell any difference in scaling on the essential nodes, those looked very normal! the px/fury/gsbw node was only at 211 (my avg roster level is about 150), so really, nothing to report there.

going to add OML before the R&G pvp to see if having 2 5*s knocks things out of whack, but pleased to say that so far, so good!

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, but you pretty much found out for yourself already. I feel like it made my opponent levels in pvp go up a little, but I've been progressing at the same time, so who can say what's mmr and what's roster strength? I am certainly not seeing maxed 4* teams below about 8-900. Even then, there are other options if I skip. On the plus side, these stronger teams that I am facing are usually worth more points, so I fight harder matches, but less of them.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    Looks like I'll be getting the "Double Deuce" on this one.
    I have a icon_silversurfer.pngredflag.png AND a icon_wolverine.pngblackflag.png waiting in my recruit queue with about 3 days left.

My current 3 highest leveled characters are 185, 175, 175.
    The big jump in levels for my top 3 average I'm not looking forward to.
    REALLY wish a dev would at least acknowledge this in some form, especially since we were told 5 star would NOT affect PVE/PVP scaling.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a icon_silversurfer.pngredflag.png AND a icon_wolverine.pngblackflag.png waiting in my recruit queue with about 3 days left.

REALLY wish a dev would at least acknowledge this in some form, especially since we were told 5 star would NOT affect PVE/PVP scaling.

I had no-one above 166.. then as soon as galactus was over, i brought 1 to 230, and plenty more to 172 or so.. PVE and PVP didn't notice at all, nodes for DP vs MPQ are the same as it ever was. If you roster them @ 255, i don't think you will really notice, since it is not that far above where you are now.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

Think you might be alright with that roster. I was spooked after drafting OML because my top characters are only 166, but some other posters have pointed out that you need to take into account boosted chars as well. In my own play, I haven't noticed a problem, and I'm actually seeing some higher point totals in PVP. If you've got a decently fleshed block of 166s (to say nothing of the higher-level 4*s you describe), you should be okay.

That said, he's only been on my roster for a short while, so by next week I might be cursing his name. icon_e_confused.gif
  • wiz_biz

Think you might be alright with that roster. I was spooked after drafting OML because my top characters are only 166, but some other posters have pointed out that you need to take into account boosted chars as well. In my own play, I haven't noticed a problem, and I'm actually seeing some higher point totals in PVP. If you've got a decently fleshed block of 166s (to say nothing of the higher-level 4*s you describe), you should be okay.

That said, he's only been on my roster for a short while, so by next week I might be cursing his name. icon_e_confused.gif

i would agree with the bob - my max level 155 roster added both SS and OML this week and i'm feeling pretty peachy about it. i only had one of them rostered when dp vs mpq started, but haven't seen any noticeable uptick in pve scaling. but i was more worried about the pvp mmr, which also doesn't seem to have changed. i did red eye with only SS rostered, and am now sitting somewhere 900+ in most wanted with both the 5*s on my roster. no changes to mmr, and i'm still seeing the same queues that my alliance mates are who have only maxed 3*s.
  • wiz_biz
    just an additional bit of info on low level rosters acquiring 5*s. my girl MoonBiscuit fought the good fight, trying to keep her SS while in 2* territory. she finally decided to sell him off, and immediately went from vet PVP brackets back down to the baby brackets. EoTS is the first PVE she's started since SS was officially removed from her roster, and her 'normal' node scaling went down about 80 levels from the prior event. so there's that.

still, i have my 2 5*s rostered along with my max lvl 155s. i've done one PVP and started EoTS this morning, and i find myself with no complaints.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they really need to create a 'bench' or 'headquarters' where you can place either covers that about to expire that you want to hold onto because you can't roster them (like SS, or OML, or any 4* for the lower level players that are lucky(?) enough to pull them).

And maybe if you roster a 5* and it is sending your MMR, a place that you can place them to remove them from your roster and store them until your roster gets a bit bigger. I know there will be difficulty if you bench SS, then join an event, you have to have a way to keep him from being able to be rostered during the event and useable to prevent people from lowering scaling then bringing in the big guns. Maybe lock your roster to a PVE, or something? Still allow newly recruited characters to be brought in, but not benched ones or something.

Something has to be done so that your only option isn't to sell the rarest cards in the game and feel sorry that you were lucky(?) enough to get them.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Given that they explicitly said rostering Silver Surfer wouldn't impact your scaling, I think they need to address this issue. Until they do, I have to recommend to anyone who isn't already running maxed out 3*s or 4*s not to open legendary tokens at all.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Given that they explicitly said rostering Silver Surfer wouldn't impact your scaling, I think they need to address this issue. Until they do, I have to recommend to anyone who isn't already running maxed out 3*s or 4*s not to open legendary tokens at all.

This is easier said than done when there is the fact that we get four stars through all other tokens. I've got like 10 four stars with 1-3 covers, and I want to be able to use those characters. Personally, I'm putting up with the affect $$ has had on my scaling, but I'm not going to let him keep me from trying to improve on my other four stars by not opening up tokens. This really comes down to the devs fixing this soon or at least addressing the issue so we know a fix is coming soon.
  • I really wish they created a solution to this. I recently pulled a Silver Surfer token so I'm resigned to eventually rostering him but I also have zero desire to use a single covered character compared to my fully covered three stars and handful of somewhat viable 4 stars. It makes no sense that something that adds nothing to my roster will potentially boost up my scaling.