5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• For Weapon Tex-Mex, Im playing a ton of SS. One cover SS isn't scary as W,W,W from my 290 DP (not even super whales) is enough to one strike SS after a little of the top.

Might be sucking for those that have SS, but for those playing against it not too bad. Unless of course there's a few covers.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ishamal wrote:
    One thing I might not of communicated clearly though is that I would never get rid of it.
    SS match damage is superior to any other character I have, and better the most of the skills I have.
    SS on a critical blue 3 match does 1600 and on just a regular blue match does close to 500. Red and black are similar as well.
    I don't know how difficult it would make transitioning to 4* but it's making 3* a lot easier.
    I've been running my OML pretty consistently in PVE. If I'd gotten one way back when, he may have messed up my scaling, but I'd definitely have been hiding baby torch and ms. marvel behind him all day long.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Just want to note that I'm following my own advice. Holding 18 legendary tokens right now, plus another 600k iso to level up companion 4 star.png characters as necessary. Waiting til after GH event starts to avoid messing up my scaling. Of course, there is a rumor that the nodes are preset, a la gauntlet. In which case you'll be screwed regardless if the enemy level is too high for your roster to clear consistently. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:
    Just want to note that I'm following my own advice. Holding 18 legendary tokens right now, plus another 600k iso to level up companion 4 star.png characters as necessary. Waiting til after GH event starts to avoid messing up my scaling. Of course, there is a rumor that the nodes are preset, a la gauntlet. In which case you'll be screwed regardless if the enemy level is too high for your roster to clear consistently. I guess we'll find out tomorrow. icon_mrgreen.gif

Gauntlet nodes are scaled. The only preset nodes in mpq are in prologue and daily deadpool.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    After chiming in here with Silver Surfer making my PVP considerably harder (I have three 166s, mostly lower) I'm going to do something even crazier in the name of science...

I'm going to recruit the blackflag.png Old Man Wolverine I just opened!

Time to see if my PVP and PVE become completely unplayable!
  • puppychow
    puppychow wrote:

Gauntlet nodes are scaled. The only preset nodes in mpq are in prologue and daily deadpool.

Seriously? Thx for the correction! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • puppychow
    SirLanik wrote:

I'm going to recruit the blackflag.png Old Man Wolverine I just opened!

Time to see if my PVP and PVE become completely unplayable!

We got a real life daredevil here! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    why dont they allow you to hold them in back and keep them on the back burner
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Craaaap. Just pulled OML from my Thick as Thieves legendary token. A week ago I’d’ve been stoked, but I’d read the OP’s Silver Surfer post, so my gut dropped. I’ve got three 166s, a few guys next in line, and 2-3 4*s (nobody premium) with 10 covers. I’m moving toward 4* transition and am using no underleveling strategy, so I feel like I’m at the right time to open legendary tokens. Right now OML’s sitting in my stockpile while I take the two weeks to decide what to do with him, and I came here to suss out my options.

It doesn’t sound like I’m in for a good time if I keep him. I really want to be more excited about this though, and I hope a change is coming (haven’t seen any thoughts from the devs in this thread). Some good suggestions in this topic though - here’s what I’ve seen so far:

1. Lower 5* starting level (~120) and make upgrading costs cheap to preserve idea of making them instantly playable (when you’re ready) while not giving the benefit of massive match damage before you make that move.

2. Base matchmaking on the average of your top 10 characters instead of top 3, or on top 12 with 1 and 12 dropped. This will better account for outliers while not making it easy to tank.

3. Eliminate the time limit for opened 5*s. You could make the argument to do this for all characters, but that’s probably an unacceptable balance with profit margin necessities. Making an exception for 5*s make sense, however, because they so drastically alter the gameplay experience, especially for an underleveled player.

Especially with a third one coming out (making your chance of getting a 5* from a legendary 15%, yeah?), it’d be nice to see this addressed. I’m excited about these characters, but I’d like to not get frozen out of being able to earn legendary tokens.

Hope we can see some official word on this soon. I like this game.
  • Craaaap. Just pulled OML from my Thick as Thieves legendary token. ...

3. Eliminate the time limit for opened 5*s. ...

Hope we can see some official word on this soon. I like this game.

Firstly, congrats on the OML!

Of your suggestions, the third listed is the one I most agree with. At this point, 5*s are so rare as to be worthy of an exception to the expiration limits. Overall, I'd prefer to see all expirations staggered in corresponding length to their * rarity. So a 1* would expire in two weeks as normal, while a 2* would take 4 weeks, a 3* 8 weeks, and a 4* 16 weeks. A 5* would never expire (or maybe give it something really high like 6 months). This, of course, will never, ever happen. They want noobs to feel the pressure of expanding their roster when they start drawing 3*s and decide to make that first HP buy. And then it dominoes after that.

Anyway, congrats on the 5* pull. That's pretty great. How do you generally collect Legendary tokens--luck or cash? I've had no luck on that front and also like this game enough to want to move up higher (in due time). Just want to know what to expect.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    1. Lower 5* starting level (~120) and make upgrading costs cheap to preserve idea of making them instantly playable (when you’re ready) while not giving the benefit of massive match damage before you make that move.

2. Base matchmaking on the average of your top 10 characters instead of top 3, or on top 12 with 1 and 12 dropped. This will better account for outliers while not making it easy to tank.

3. Eliminate the time limit for opened 5*s. You could make the argument to do this for all characters, but that’s probably an unacceptable balance with profit margin necessities. Making an exception for 5*s make sense, however, because they so drastically alter the gameplay experience, especially for an underleveled player.

Either one would be good but I'm guessing the first one would be harder to implement.
    Especially with a third one coming out (making your chance of getting a 5* from a legendary 15%, yeah?

Nope, they said the odds will fall to 3.33 per 5* when the third one comes out. The total 5* odds will stay at 10% for the foreseeable future.
  • The Bob The
    biffpow wrote:
    Anyway, congrats on the 5* pull. That's pretty great. How do you generally collect Legendary tokens--luck or cash? I've had no luck on that front and also like this game enough to want to move up higher (in due time). Just want to know what to expect.

Thanks man. First 5* I've gotten. I've only gotten my Legendary tokens from progression points thus far. I've gotten one from each story mode since they came out, but I'm probably gonna get bored of grinding (almost gave the 7-day TaT a pass). Picked up every DDQ until Hulkbuster (no chance with only 2/2/1) and didn't have 4* DP, so that's been a source. I've been pretty happy with the new ways to get 4*s so far, and I've been picking up a few a week. Still no luck on 1K PVP though - guess I need a few more 166 3*s.
  • The Bob The
    Lee T wrote:

Nope, they said the odds will fall to 3.33 per 5* when the third one comes out. The total 5* odds will stay at 10% for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the reminder. That makes things a little more manageable, although HOW AM I GOING TO LEVEL MY OLD MAN LOGAN NOW THIS GAME IS STUPID DEVS HEALTH PACKS ARASDJFsKLSDFLDLSJ.
  • Thanks man. First 5* I've gotten. I've only gotten my Legendary tokens from progression points thus far. I've gotten one from each story mode since they came out, but I'm probably gonna get bored of grinding (almost gave the 7-day TaT a pass).

Wow, that is some serious grinding! I didn't even get halfway to the Legendary in ISO-8 Brotherhood and felt like I put in a lot of time. Clearly, I need to step it up, maybe focus only on Daily Deadpool and Story, and ignore PvP for a while. Good to know it can be achieved, though : )
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    So now that I have Surfer and Old Man Logan, I wondered how bad my scaling would be. (rest of my roster is three 166s, and everyone else 130 or lower)

All my opponents are now super high level!

After 40 skips (yes 40), the lowest opponents I have been able to find have a team of 210/290/290

Compared to my team of 166/166/156, or 156/182/156.

So basically, given that the EASIEST team I found stomps me, PVP is now virtually unplayable!

Caveat emptor to people who want to PVP but also open the new 5*s.

Cheers to the devs, releasing super fun super cool characters that I really wanted, that I am now severely punished for having.
  • generalTsobot
    generalTsobot Posts: 65 Match Maker
    SirLanik wrote:
    So now that I have Surfer and Old Man Logan, I wondered how bad my scaling would be. (rest of my roster is three 166s, and everyone else 130 or lower)

After 40 skips (yes 40), the lowest opponents I have been able to find have a team of 210/290/290

So basically, given that the EASIEST team I found stomps me, PVP is now virtually unplayable!

Cheers to the devs, releasing super fun super cool characters that I really wanted, that I am now severely punished for having.

giphy.gif

I'll be interested to hear what this does to your PVE scaling as well. Props for being our guinea pig.
  • Saintsfanuk
    Saintsfanuk Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    Opened a legendary token hoping for a 4 star cover and got silver surfer. Rostered it went to pvp and was put against 166 teams constantly or boosted level 200 way out of my league I used to only find these at 700. Struggled to reach 400 on Tex mex.

My roster highest level is 114 I'm in the 3 star transition. I sold silver surfer and all my matches went back to 94-130ish. I will not be opening any more anytime soon! Ruined my enjoyment as much as the anniversary rubbish!
  • Davan
    Davan Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    I am also one of those fortunate ?(unfortunate) to pull an OML from my legendary token.

I just started playing and I don't have any max covered 2*s yet. They are starting to to all be around lvl 70 now. As soon as I pulled him pvp became unplayable. It is already a little rough because Iceman has been boosted for so long and I earned teo covers of him in another event.

This scaling is ridiculous and punishes people for luck and also skill and hard work. I've earned at least 4 legendary tokens over the past 3 weeks. Since my characters are slowly climbing to 70ish it's been okay. I was thinking of actually spending some money for HPs to get more roster slots but now I'm disgusted by poor game design.

Let us bank 5 stars until we are ready to use them. Or just lock them for people whose roster is not strong enough so they aren't counted in scaling. I had to delete OML to continue playing. Thanks for rewarding a new players hard work!!

Please fix this. Also offer some compensation to those that had to sell these characters so they could continue to play. At least with 4*s if we leave them at 70 it doesn't really hurt us. The 5* gave us no choice. Return the deleted character and fix the scaling.

Anybody in game design knows new players are so important. You want them to become interested in the game and spend money. That's not what you are doing right now.
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    SirLanik wrote:

Thanks for testing and letting us know how bad it is. I keep hoping against hope they release some kind of fix before my token expires and I have to sell it. I like PVP. It's hard sometimes, but it's at least doable with enough skipping and patience. I don't want to lose 50% of my game icon_e_sad.gif
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    So...

I've been playing not much of late - out of the last half a dozen or so PvE's, I've played about 1 day of one and done one pass in the last few hours of another.

As explained earlier in the thread, I shoved way up a couple of characters levels mostly due to early 4* DDQ. I keep a slow climbing even roster (as I primarily play PvE) and have a just recent half levelled X-Force, IW and 1 SS cover.

I've been hesitating and hesitating joining Galactus because I knew where my scaling was (in summary - shocking) when I last left it.

I just joined and it's exactly where I left it. Round 1 Galactus, I am getting teams that would have generally been in final / Hard nodes for me previously (essentially 2 days ago worth of play) and getting wiped out all over the place. I'm going to keep plugging away at Round 1 and hope for Round 2, but I have better things to do with my life.

It's just not worth my mental energy to say much more about it and I've essentially stopped even trying for new 4*s at this point.

I dunno...