5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• Would be great of D3 to at least base scaling and MMR on characters you actually use.

Sitting on a recently recruited SS that has essentially ended both PvP and PvE for me.

Even if I leveled the 3-4 3*s I've got mostly ready (covered but not optimally) I'm not likely to see much if any real relief...

Thanks as always D3 for keeping things interesting, if not actually fun.

DBC
  • Roswulf
    Roswulf Posts: 87
    It's such frustratingly bad game design. At the moment, a SS cover is presented as the ultimate prize in the game. Winning the ultimate prize should make players happy! Instead, for anyone without at least a well-developed team of maxed 3* it makes the game meaningfully less fun. Sure, you have one new tool. But a single-powered tank is the single least interesting kind of character to play with- and in return all non-DDQ challenges in the game are calibrated too highly for the rest of the roster.

You can argue that the changes are not significant enough to be game destroying, at least for forumites who know what they are doing- but the fact that for most players winning a SS makes the game somewhat less fun seems pretty much inarguable.

HOW DOES THAT SEEM LIKE A GOOD IDEA?
  • simonsez wrote:
    Because tanking should be rewarded, and good gameplay penalized? No thanks.

Of course you are right... I'm just a little irked at being misled about how things worked, intentionally or not. If they fix this for lower level rosters, I'll be surprised if it doesn't adversely effect higher rosters somehow tho.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dodongo wrote:
    I literally got screwed on this today. I am mid 3* with three soft capped at 130 and everyone else between 80-105.

In pvp eight is enough I was facing guys from 120-160. I added SS and joined trial by combat and now there's only teams with maxed 4* lvl 240 guys available. PVP is now completely unplayable and assume the same will happen to PVE.

I have to sell SS. I am not going to chance absurd levels right before anniversary events. Thanks for this Devs.

Thank them for the 1k iso you will get for selling him! Whether you keep him or not is up to you.. on PVE events, even a 1 cover can walk you though most battles, especially if it is blue.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes. He is bagsurfer. He cant do nothing but be a meat shield.

icon_razz.gif
    You won the internet. LOLZ @ bagsurfer.

Edit: I just told an Alliance mate of mine yesterday, who just got surfer, not to post him up in SIM. I purposely look for people's surfers in SIM just to take them down because they think he's undefeatable.

i have 2 covers. he's usually the first character dead from either squad. i have found i've been getting attacked and retaliated much less than before i had him though. some folk get 5* gun shy it seems.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Probably is not going to be a bery popular opinion but the thing is people with 2s, or in the 2-3 transition should not be able to win legendary tokens, and of course, should not be able to win SS. It does not make any sense! Legendaries are for people with some maxed 3s that are starting or they are already in the 3-4 transition

And of course the level of your oponents should be affected! Have you tried playing one of those 70-80 level easy nodes with two 94-2s and SS ? (Or any maxed 4 without firing any power). The node becomes trivial! SS begins with 13k hitpoints and 150 match damage x tile, it kills everybody just with match damage!
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    Have we confirmed community scaling isn't back on? For giggles I smashed my roster into a PvE, lots of wipeouts. My PvE levels still went up the next go-round, with no changes to my roster.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    They should just base your scaling on your top 12 guys or something while throwing out the top and bottom guy of that 12 character sample and that would give a more accurate read of what kind of teams you should be facing. Ten characters to decide your scaling, bottom can't kill save you and top can't tank you.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Vhailorx wrote:
    babinro wrote:
    Does anyone even have proof that deletion of your highest level character(s) will IMPROVE scaling?
    I'd hate to recommend deleting something as rare as SS just to see nothing change at all.

Great point! Is anyone willing to be the guinea pig?

Wayyy back, I dumped my max Thora, Dino, and Xwolvie (my only max 4*) after the nerfs and using only a max 3* roster, my next pve went from facing 395s in previous event to seeing high 200s low 300s for opponents. Ever since I've had a much easier time in PVE. Before if I didn't use Thora and XWolvie on every top node, I had small chance of success. It really sucked in events where Wolvie was locked out and any gauntlet node where I couldn't bring Thora in.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    I'm seriously thinking of selling him. Both PvE and PvP are scaled out of control. I wipe nodes that would have been simple before I got SS. I'm paired with 270s in PvP. This is outrageous. I think the devs at demiurge are more money oriented than smarts.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Sorry and sad to be hearing all of this.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Really surprised there hasnt been a dev comment thats saying "we're looking into this" since it sounds like so many people are having such a detrimental experience
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    My pvp scaling is wack now as well, presumably from Surfer.

Notably, though, my PVE scaling is fine. Did not appear to impact it at all. I do not really recommend selling Surfer unless you play to do PVP to the exclusion of PVE.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not a problem I have (have not pulled him), but a problem I've read about: pulling Surfer and your PvP and PvE scaling going bananas.

Are there folks considering dropping him from your roster for the time being to re-align your scaling to where it would otherwise be? With the hope being that you'll reach the point where your roster is ready to take on Surfer/other 5*?

Or will everyone just keep him and build up around him?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    They should make Legendary Character's without an expiration date on the cover so you can hold him forever if you are scared he'll screw up your scaling or mmr.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    ShionSinX wrote:

I'd read that discussion, but I figured with the season over and people considering their situations, it might be worth discussion in a more open sense (since that thread started about one guy's dilemma).
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel bad when I see players with this roster:

Screenshot_2015-10-04-08-32-10_1.png

This player must have grinded hard for that Legendary token and now this player will be hurting in PVE and PVP.

Note: I removed the player's name to stay within the forum rules icon_razz.gif
  • I feel bad when I see players with this roster:

[...image of a REALLY low level roster and 1 shiny Silver Surfer cover...]

This player must have grinded hard for that Legendary token and now this player will be hurting in PVE and PVP.

Note: I removed the player's name to stay within the forum rules icon_razz.gif

Or they "lucked out" and "won" a Legendary Token from DDQ like I did. The end result being largely the same...

First time I ever win anything significant, and this is how it goes.

DBC
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

I'd read that discussion, but I figured with the season over and people considering their situations, it might be worth discussion in a more open sense (since that thread started about one guy's dilemma).
    I've merged the two threads and given them a more general subject line.