5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    jackstar0 wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

I'd read that discussion, but I figured with the season over and people considering their situations, it might be worth discussion in a more open sense (since that thread started about one guy's dilemma).
    I've merged the two threads and given them a more general subject line.

Thank you. I hope a red will comment on this now.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel bad when I see players with this roster:

[...image of a REALLY low level roster and 1 shiny Silver Surfer cover...]

This player must have grinded hard for that Legendary token and now this player will be hurting in PVE and PVP.

Note: I removed the player's name to stay within the forum rules icon_razz.gif

Or they "lucked out" and "won" a Legendary Token from DDQ like I did. The end result being largely the same...

First time I ever win anything significant, and this is how it goes.

DBC

This is the kind of roster I feel sorry for. I've seen lots of rosters that have less than five maxed 3*'s - and one SS that they'll have to use as their best defensive option (?) for their entire 4* transition. I may have seen the same low-level roster: one I saw had only one 2* at 94 and no other characters that high, but one nice 270 SS....that they'll have to use for their entire 2*/3*, and well into 4* transition. That would be really, really boring to play that long.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    I've also had my pve scale really high through getting surfer. I've got maxed out 3* but no 4* maxed.

This goes beyond surfer. This is a more important question: what will adding more 5* to your roster do? I mean I haven't even used him so I'm thinking this needs to be addressed soon.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you luck into all 3 5*'s the game will average the 3 of them when determining mmr and scaling?

It's all speculation to me thus far. We have some threads telling the story of PVE scaling being relatively normal, but PVP MMR going out of whack. Did D3 test this with a live account? Or is it speculation on their part that it will not have an impact if you own him, roster him, but don't use him?
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    DayvBang wrote:
    jackstar0 wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:

I'd read that discussion, but I figured with the season over and people considering their situations, it might be worth discussion in a more open sense (since that thread started about one guy's dilemma).
    I've merged the two threads and given them a more general subject line.

Thank you. I hope a red will comment on this now.

I'm SUPER hoping we will get an official response on this at some point in the near future. We were originally told 5 stars would have no effect on things, and all evidence points this to not be the case. Even a "5 stars are working as intended in regard to PVE/PVP scaling/match ups" would be nice.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    What's better for the overall game -- starting 5*'s at a lower level (say, 150) and requiring boatloads of ISO to max them (which perhaps only whales or the luckiest of token draws could ever hope to do); or, starting 5*'s at 255 and having a negative impact on all but those who are at the top of the food chain (yet, you're not limiting the ability to earn 5*'s to only these rosters)?

The obvious option would have been to start them at a lower level like 150 and make that first 100 levels very cheap for those who would actually want to level up the character or alternatively they could do what they said and not include 5* characters for consideration when it comes to scaling.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    In other words, this is definite confirmation that people in 2* land should not keep their SS. For people in 3* land it's ok because the system takes in account buffs, so if you have level 166 characters, they will be buffed to 240 anyway (290 for the featured one), so having a 255 will not increase things noticeably.

It is a shame that it even takes the buffed value rather than the base level of characters when deciding scaling, why not treat it as a bonus instead to start out with and just have things ramp up after first clears so that people with a low cover character that gets highly boosted isn't penalised for it.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    In other words, this is definite confirmation that people in 2* land should not keep their SS. For people in 3* land it's ok because the system takes in account buffs, so if you have level 166 characters, they will be buffed to 240 anyway (290 for the featured one), so having a 255 will not increase things noticeably.

It is a shame that it even takes the buffed value rather than the base level of characters when deciding scaling, why not treat it as a bonus instead to start out with and just have things ramp up after first clears so that people with a low cover character that gets highly boosted isn't penalised for it.

I remember during Anniversary last year I opened 4 Purple Devil Dinos (Oh Joy!). My 2* roster was maybe level 40/50 at the time and I remember how difficult PVE became. Not only was I placed in Vet brackets but my scaling was crazy. At the time I did not understand what happened so I because of Devil Dinos high health, I leveled him to 80 to use as a meat shield and kept using him. My scaling did not straighten out until I finally leveled Wolv/Daken/Thor to lvl 94. SS should be locked for 2* players somehow or at least a warning.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    because of Devil Dinos high health, I leveled him to 80 to use as a meat shield and kept using him. My scaling did not straighten out until I finally leveled Wolv/Daken/Thor to lvl 94.
    I like that this was your first instinct, rather than "OMG, I need to sell this damn Dino"
  • I like the effects of silver surfer on PvP.

All those single cover surfers out there is good do those of us not wanting to destroy yet another fistbuster or jeanbuster team.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have yet to find a low-level ss in pvp. found the one who shall not be named one time and happily skipped but none among the lower ranks yet. how high do they actually get with match damage? I don't think they'd be up with the fistbusters and jeanbusters.
  • So the moral of the story, as I am starting to work up my 3* teams is if I don't want to make the game unplayable, and I get a SS, I need to sell him.

No way this can be called anything other than a serious design defect.
  • simonsez
    TxMoose wrote:
    I have yet to find a low-level ss in pvp. found the one who shall not be named one time and happily skipped but none among the lower ranks yet. how high do they actually get with match damage? I don't think they'd be up with the fistbusters and jeanbusters.
    I've seen some during low climbs... as far as I can remember, the match damage was in the mid 100s.
  • DC1972
    DC1972 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I haven't read through all 4 pages of responses to see if this was mentioned but one solution, although not ideal, is just to sell SS. wouldn't that bring scaling back to normal?
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    Splarne wrote:
    I like the effects of silver surfer on PvP.

All those single cover surfers out there is good do those of us not wanting to destroy yet another fistbuster or jeanbuster team.

i only ever see them out with supernoob teams, and i just feel bad running game on those guys. i avoid if i can help it. plus you never see them over 400 or so...

simonsez wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    I've seen some during low climbs... as far as I can remember, the match damage was in the mid 100s.

it's quite a bit higher actually - i'm looking at a 255 one cover ss that does 130 red, 146 blue, 113 black
  • simonsez
    wiz_biz wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

it's quite a bit higher actually - i'm looking at a 255 one cover ss that does 130 red, 146 blue, 113 black
    I would say 130,146,113 are mid-100s, so I guess my comment was ambiguous.
  • wiz_biz
    wiz_biz Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:

I would say 130,146,113 are mid-100s, so I guess my comment was ambiguous.

oops that's my bad - my special eyes read that horribly incorrectly. i'm all jacked up on adrenaline for token updates and sales, i blame that icon_e_smile.gif
  • simonsez
    wiz_biz wrote:
    oops that's my bad - my special eyes read that horribly incorrectly. i'm all jacked up on adrenaline for token updates and sales, i blame that icon_e_smile.gif
    You need some booze to settle yourself down... we're not getting Iceman in tokens til thursday, most likely. Can't have you all jacked up for 4 days straight!
  • Brett572
    Brett572 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    Something I haven't seen mentioned is that fact that we have another 5* coming out, and there is now a chance for these low level rosters (mine included) to have 2 single cover 5*s.

1 has made things more difficult. I can't see playing this game with 2 single cover 5*s and a low level roster.

With what CS said, that would mean that your roster is now treated as if it has 2 maxed 4*s. PVE would be impossible, and PVP may be even worse than it currently is.
  • philosorapt0r
    philosorapt0r Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    wiz_biz wrote:
    Splarne wrote:
    I like the effects of silver surfer on PvP.

i only ever see them out with supernoob teams, and i just feel bad running game on those guys. i avoid if i can help it. plus you never see them over 400 or so...

Presumably we only see the low-level teams with surfer, because anyone with developed 3s is running those as their team in PVP. So, 3* squads who have a surfer rostered will be boosted in MMR, but it won't be obvious to an observer that that's the reason why you're seeing their squad show up (rather than, say, having a leveled x-force or whatnot that isn't being used).

Whereas, the guy with a few lvl 50 1*s and some 2*s in the 60s-70s would be crazy not to immediately use surfer constantly in pvp, so we see those teams icon_e_smile.gif.