5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    Well I wish I'd read this earlier. Not happy with ss anymore now scaling had gone through the roof.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    puppychow wrote:
    SirLanik wrote:

I'm going to recruit the blackflag.png Old Man Wolverine I just opened!

Time to see if my PVP and PVE become completely unplayable!

We got a real life daredevil here! icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm already there. I have single covered SS and OML. Rest of the roster is two 4* level 170 and a bunch of max 3*. My sim7 Thing, Iceman, (don't remember third) STARTED at level 281. If that's my starting point, the tail end of sim is going to be really interesting.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Lopan15 wrote:
    puppychow wrote:
    SirLanik wrote:

I'm going to recruit the blackflag.png Old Man Wolverine I just opened!

Time to see if my PVP and PVE become completely unplayable!

We got a real life daredevil here! icon_mrgreen.gif

I'm already there. I have single covered SS and OML. Rest of the roster is two 4* level 170 and a bunch of max 3*. My sim7 Thing, Iceman, (don't remember third) STARTED at level 281. If that's my starting point, the tail end of sim is going to be really interesting.

My pve starts in 3 1/2 hours, so I don't know what the nodes are like. However, if sim 7 is along the normal/hard string, I wouldn't be surprised to see a node at 60-100% of your highest buffed character level, which could potentially be 240 for a max 3*.

That being said, I am currently holding 3 OML covers and thankful that I can hold them for another nine days. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • I got one cover of Surfer from the legendary out of the anniversary 40 pack and now I miss my 166 wall icon_e_sad.gif 270+ and simulator was kinda nuts today...

Idk, seems like you need a few covers to make these characters playable and worth it. Side note, weren't these characters supposed to be playable out the gate?
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    edited October 2015
    I'd love to see some red (edit : can't remember ho to make the color tag work so picture it as red in your mind and move along icon_e_smile.gif ) feedback on this issue.

The only way for me to keep transitionning to 4* territory is through legendary tokens yet it seems that I have 10% chance to draw a character that would seriously hinder my chance to get more ?

That's a tiny kittied situation.
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    Lee T wrote:
    I'd love to see some red[/] feedback on this issue.

The only way for me to keep transitionning to 4* territory is through legendary tokens yet it seems that I have 10% chance to draw a character that would seriously hinder my chance to get more ?

That's a tiny kittied situation.

We've been asking about this pretty much since Surfer came out and have yet to get anything. I would say it's safe to say that things are "working as intended" and they are ignoring us.
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    florida92 wrote:
    I got one cover of Surfer from the legendary out of the anniversary 40 pack and now I miss my 166 wall icon_e_sad.gif 270+ and simulator was kinda nuts today...

Idk, seems like you need a few covers to make these characters playable and worth it. Side note, weren't these characters supposed to be playable out the gate?

I lucked out with OML and got his black which will at least trigger his 2nd set of powers so with his match damage he actually is useful if you gave to bring him in. SS I got black as well. Not useful when compared to other black abilities I could bring instead. His match damage is nice but that's it. I don't use him at all.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've encountered this as well. Got a blue SS and my max 3 star is a 130 Hulk. Every other three star is 114 and below with all my 2 stars maxed out, and many 4 stars at one or two covers. Scaling has gone nuts for me. Don't want to get rid of him cause he's so rare but man are battles so much harder now (phrasing).
  • Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    It's nice how tiny progression is 'rewarded' by ridiculous scaling.
  • I am also a victim of a one cover ss. my team is around level 13x, so adding this monster may it very difficult to progress in pvp. even if I can win battle against higher level opponents, the AI can't, so my team will still got slaughtered by other players and I am losing a lot of points, since my team is matched with higher level players.

in fact it is not that difficult to fix this situation. If the developer consider the number of covers of the characters as well, other than look at the level, then all problem concerning this "1 cover high level character" could be solved, making the games more fair.
  • mikelnoe
    mikelnoe Posts: 92 Match Maker
    figures I pull an old man Logan while I'm debating on what to do with my SS chillin in my roster queue with 5 days left. I have 4pool and Jean that I can level to 180ish(curently soft capped at 166.) and 4 maxed 3* with several others close. I know I shouldn't open the tokens unless I'm ready for 5* but it's way too slow building 4 stars without those tokens. Really dont want to sell them but I also don't want to face 395s because I have 2 single cover 5*s. I'm truly amiss on what to do.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    mikelnie wrote:
    figures I pull an old man Logan while I'm debating on what to do with my SS chillin in my roster queue with 5 days left. I have 4pool and Jean that I can level to 180ish(curently soft capped at 166.) and 4 maxed 3* with several others close. I know I shouldn't open the tokens unless I'm ready for 5* but it's way too slow building 4 stars without those tokens. Really dont want to sell them but I also don't want to face 395s because I have 2 single cover 5*s. I'm truly amiss on what to do.

I feel you. I just opened my second OML today (the other one has about seven days left before expiration). I know I'm gonna roster him, especially now I've got two, but I'm not looking forward to what I'll face. I'm up to three 166s now, and I have a few 8-9 cover 4*s, but no one I'd put up front (hey there, Baglady and Ant-Man). The real killer is I JUST got my first 1K progression 4* (Elektra ... yay?), but from how this forum is going, it sounds like I might kiss that level of progression goodbye.

Maybe RNGsus could at least grant me OML's black so I can use the other half of his powers while I'm getting my butt handed to me? I've got some goats I could sacrifice...
  • smkspy
    So if I get rid of SS, will my scaling go back down for the next pve and pvp season?

That last node.in the Sim with red hulk has them all leveled at 200. Aga8n, besides SS at 270, my strongest characters is a 130 Hulk with a few 114s behind him.

5 stars should come with a warming label on them like a pack of smokes "warning if you don't a highly level 4 star roster, this character will kill your scaling."
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    So if I get rid of SS, will my scaling go back down for the next pve and pvp season?

That last node.in the Sim with red hulk has them all leveled at 200. Aga8n, besides SS at 270, my strongest characters is a 130 Hulk with a few 114s behind him.

5 stars should come with a warming label on them like a pack of smokes "warning if you don't a highly level 4 star roster, this character will kill your scaling."

Actually, I think you might have just had "normal" scaling on that one. That Red Hulk node was ~Level 180-190 (I forget the exact number) for me, my highest, unboosted character is a Lv 111 Hulk and I have no 5*'s at all.
  • smkspy wrote:

Actually, I think you might have just had "normal" scaling on that one. That Red Hulk node was ~Level 180-190 (I forget the exact number) for me, my highest, unboosted character is a Lv 111 Hulk and I have no 5*'s at all.
    Yep, My max lvl 106 roster hit Red Hulk at 200 also, after stomping his team a couple times.

When did you roster your SS? If it was after the start of the Simulator event, it won't have been considered. But if it was before the start of Simulator, then maybe this is the first anecdotal evidence that he doesn't affect your PvE scaling? (for sure PvP is FUBAR)
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    smkspy wrote:

My problem with the scaling due to 5* is that if you are not ready for 4*, you can just horde those tokens for when you are ready....EXCEPT for the fact that 4* are freaking essentials in every pve (which the 2-3* transitioner needs to progress their roster) and the only reliable way to get them are through legendary tokens. Also, ICE said that 5* would not affect anyone's scaling and clearly he was wrong (not saying he was lying, just that he was wrong or uninformed or there is a glitch that they are still trying to work out).
  • smkspy
    smkspy wrote:

Yep, My max lvl 106 roster hit Red Hulk at 200 also, after stomping his team a couple times.

When did you roster your SS? If it was after the start of the Simulator event, it won't have been considered. But if it was before the start of Simulator, then maybe this is the first anecdotal evidence that he doesn't affect your PvE scaling? (for sure PvP is FUBAR)

I had him before the event used him against galactus a few times. I might have been slightly upscaled more than normal as another person in my alliance with plenty 166 characters got 183 levels for those characters. Another alliance member just got him a SS and he has no one over a 94...
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    I'm wondering what would be a safe level to roster a Silver Surfer. Is a bunch of 166 enough ?
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lee T wrote:
    I'm wondering what would be a safe level to roster a Silver Surfer. Is a bunch of 166 enough ?

That's where I'm at. I have an OML and SS. The difference seemed noticeable, but it's not causing me to not be able to compete. I don't regret rostering them, even if they are pretty useless at this point. I use them on trivial nodes with iron fist but that's about it.
  • smkspy
    I think with pvp, I have to play at the right moments now. I can't go into something like class of 2015 with a day left and except to keep the majority of my points despite being attacked. Surfer makes me too much of a target, I lost 700 points overnight to that. Came back with 45 minutes to its close and got those points back. Took a lot of 10 iso skips to find matches that I could compete in though.