5* Characters effects on PVP/PVE

Comments

• Steirerbua
    Steirerbua Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Having browsed this thread, my roster can be seen as another example that 5* characters do not affect the game to the best, when you are not ready for them.

My roster consists of a bunch of well established (meaning Level) 2* characters and a fistful of 3*s at the Level-94-soft cap. That would put me in the 2*-3*-transition, but still I am being far from establishing a well covered Team of Level 166-characters.

I really enjoyed playing PvP (as in my opinion it puts quality matches over quantity matches as in PvE) and I fared quite to my satisfaction. That was until I pulled a Silver Surfer from a Legendary Token. From that point on, PvP has become unplayable for me as most of the time I am put against teams with at least two Level 166 3*s and most of the time an additional Level 200+ 4*. And yes, I agree, putting up that lone cover-Surfer makes you a sitting duck. Having him blown away by a full-fledged Cyclops is frustrating.

So, again the question - would you advise me to drop the Surfer or do you know wheter some sort of fix is already planned?
    Don't get me wrong, I am proud having him on my team, but I don't use him any more. And I would really hate to regret having dropped him some time in the future ...
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    If you look at my roster, I started out as a solo pve player before joining a pvp group. I built my roster by scoring high in pve events. If your roster is mainly 2/3s, I think pve should be your primary focus. So the question becomes: does having a 5* wreck your scaling to the point where you cannot compete for top 100? The answer will help you decide if your 5 is a keeper or not.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since i have no 5*s on my roster.. i haven't posted any thoughts yet in this thread.... but yesterday i saw something.. well, a bunch of somethings.. In the 3BE PVP, after i hit 350 or so.. i was getting loaner/boosted2*/single cover 5* teams.. Teams that personally, i don't think should be taking on max 3BE/IMHB/JG(not max level, but covered).

I felt sorry for them as i took the easy points.. but yah, a single cover for a 5* should not be tossing them in mid climb range..
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    Steirerbua wrote:
    Having browsed this thread, my roster can be seen as another example that 5* characters do not affect the game to the best, when you are not ready for them.

My roster consists of a bunch of well established (meaning Level) 2* characters and a fistful of 3*s at the Level-94-soft cap. That would put me in the 2*-3*-transition, but still I am being far from establishing a well covered Team of Level 166-characters.

I really enjoyed playing PvP (as in my opinion it puts quality matches over quantity matches as in PvE) and I fared quite to my satisfaction. That was until I pulled a Silver Surfer from a Legendary Token. From that point on, PvP has become unplayable for me as most of the time I am put against teams with at least two Level 166 3*s and most of the time an additional Level 200+ 4*. And yes, I agree, putting up that lone cover-Surfer makes you a sitting duck. Having him blown away by a full-fledged Cyclops is frustrating.

So, again the question - would you advise me to drop the Surfer or do you know wheter some sort of fix is already planned?
    Don't get me wrong, I am proud having him on my team, but I don't use him any more. And I would really hate to regret having dropped him some time in the future ...

Your PVP is still playable, but it won't be as enjoyable. If you have a lot of ISO to spend on skipping, you can usually find some people you can take down after a LOT of skips. No one really know if 5s will ever get fixed, but they are hard to get. I waffle on selling mine every day, but still holding on to him in hope.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    mindsuckr wrote:

Your PVP is still playable, but it won't be as enjoyable.

This sums up my experience with a rostered two-cover OML. I had just hit my first 1000-pt progression when I got him. Now I'm grinding up to 600. I'm sticking to building ISO to boost more 3*s for now, but my 5* has cost me a primary route to doing that.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    For reference if you have 3 level 450's rostered, your essentials and 3 hard nodes start at 395.
  • mindsuckr
    mindsuckr Posts: 154
    dkffiv wrote:
    For reference if you have 3 level 450's rostered, your essentials and 3 hard nodes start at 395.

Didn't they say that enemies will never go above 395? At least for now that is.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    mindsuckr wrote:
    dkffiv wrote:

Didn't they say that enemies will never go above 395? At least for now that is.

My sandbox has maxed out 5*s (ended up with a second surfer trying to build an oml). Every pve node is trivial with OML SS + green purple user (x23, red hulk, jg, ice). A 395 Ares can't do enough damage to counter SS and OML healing. A good 5 cascade turn one can easily do over 10k match damage. 5* will either get nerfed or pve will need to scale to 1k+ (and current 4* rosters struggling with 395 will now face 500+ now that the cap is raised). I am not leveling my 5* past 270 until they are broken enough to use.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    dkffiv wrote:

Not that I would ever level anyone to 450 (since I play pve), but thx for the heads up! icon_e_smile.gif
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Now that I got another cover for OML, I leveled him to 272. So with 272 OML, 270 Surfer, and about 3 level 166s (rest all 140 or lower).

My PVP has returned to being completely impossible. I'm not sure if it was a patch, or the extra levels on Logan, but now I frequently don't even get three nodes of computer player nodes, and I often have to skip 10-15 times to find any opponent that isn't a 290/240/240 lineup.

In short, I'm at 38 points in Blade PVP and can't even get to any progression.

So, even if you do roster them, I HIGHLY recommend NOT leveling them.

I can pretty much only do PVE for rewards now. I can't even get to 200 points in a PVP any more, unless I get lucky and 2 of my 3 166s are boosted that week.
  • SirLanik wrote:
    Now that I got another cover for OML, I leveled him to 272. So with 272 OML, 270 Surfer, and about 3 level 166s (rest all 140 or lower).

My PVP has returned to being completely impossible. I'm not sure if it was a patch, or the extra levels on Logan, but now I frequently don't even get three nodes of computer player nodes, and I often have to skip 10-15 times to find any opponent that isn't a 290/240/240 lineup.

In short, I'm at 38 points in Blade PVP and can't even get to any progression.

So, even if you do roster them, I HIGHLY recommend NOT leveling them.

I can pretty much only do PVE for rewards now. I can't even get to 200 points in a PVP any more, unless I get lucky and 2 of my 3 166s are boosted that week.

I'm in the same boat as you a level 255 oml and a 255 ss the next closest character is a 155. I went from scoring pretty well in pvp to barely breaking 300. If I push really hard most of the time now I mostly get 200 points and give up on pvp. The levels they throw against me are completely out of my league. It saddens me I know selling the two 5*s will fix the balance but with them both being so rare I'm having trouble bringing myself to sell them.
  • Steirerbua
    Steirerbua Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    So, to conclude, for players not ready, 5* characters are more a burden than a benefit. Therefore, they tend to drain the fun out of what used to be a formidable game.

However, is there still some kind of solution provided by D3 in order to restore motivation? Either a recommendation to sell the character or some kind of putting him to some kind of freezing state, anything that helps to improve the situation would be welcome ...
  • Will: Cool. And a couple of other things that are coming this year are that we've been working hard on some changes to the way story events work... The way difficulty works in story events... There's sometimes issues in story events where it can feel like it's not better to level up your characters so we're fixing that so it will always be better to progress in the game.

Casey: That way, if you open one of these Legendary Tokens and you get a Silver Surfer it won't mess up your roster. We know some people on Reddit are real nervous with what to do with their Silver Surfers so this will really help.

They just posted a video, so it sounds like a fix is on the way.
  • Mazza
    Mazza Posts: 41
    Steirerbua wrote:

I have the same problem. Every day I'm in doubt about selling.
  • Malcrof
    are 5*s locked out of Heroic PVE's?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    Only one has run since 5*s were introduced, Venom: Heroic, SS was not a usable character
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    mindsuckr wrote:
    Will: Cool. And a couple of other things that are coming this year are that we've been working hard on some changes to the way story events work... The way difficulty works in story events... There's sometimes issues in story events where it can feel like it's not better to level up your characters so we're fixing that so it will always be better to progress in the game.

Casey: That way, if you open one of these Legendary Tokens and you get a Silver Surfer it won't mess up your roster. We know some people on Reddit are real nervous with what to do with their Silver Surfers so this will really help.

They just posted a video, so it sounds like a fix is on the way.

I'm glad "some people" were nervous on reddit since no player ever talked about it on the official forum...
  • Malcrof
    fmftint wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    Only one has run since 5*s were introduced, Venom: Heroic, SS was not a usable character

So is scaling in heroics, even with the 5* locked out, still based on having the 5* on your team? I am noticing this for the first time now that i have 2 max 4*, both locked out of heroic, but scaling as it is with an unlocked roster.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

So is scaling in heroics, even with the 5* locked out, still based on having the 5* on your team? I am noticing this for the first time now that i have 2 max 4*, both locked out of heroic, but scaling as it is with an unlocked roster.

My experience is that Heroics have always scaled based on the totality of your roster, not just on those usable.
  • Malcrof
    jffdougan wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

My experience is that Heroics have always scaled based on the totality of your roster, not just on those usable.

Then i feel for those with 2 and 3* rosters, who pulled a 5*. I am also very glad they are working on a fix for it!