IW vs. QS - 4* DDQ matchup

Options

Comments

• Chief270
    Options
    First try here with a level 200 3/5/5 IW. No boosts.

I really didn't think I'd have much trouble with him due to having her leveled pretty well. But the board was terrible. A ton of yellow(which is good for invis) and nearly no green. So even at level 200, I had to rely on the invis tiles(cast it 4 times with 3 on the board at one point).

I couldn't set up a green match cause QS would immediately match it every time. So I wittled my way down through his health hard way, match damage and clearing locked tiles when I could.
  • Did it on my first try with my lvl 70 1/0/0 IW. +2 y/r ap, +2 all ap and +100% match damage. Focused on getting yellow and keeping his blue from getting off. It takes some time, but it worked
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I kept a single Invisibility tile on the board at all times and only re-cast it whenever it got matched. (Also, whenever my Invisibility tile was lined up for a match, I always waited for the AI to make it, not me.) So, out of curiosity, if I'm invisible and the AI matches away my tile, do I take damage at that match?
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I kept a single Invisibility tile on the board at all times and only re-cast it whenever it got matched. (Also, whenever my Invisibility tile was lined up for a match, I always waited for the AI to make it, not me.) So, out of curiosity, if I'm invisible and the AI matches away my tile, do I take damage at that match?

No, but it could cause a cascade that will do damage.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Options
    xubango wrote:
    I beat it on my eleventh try. My IW is 1/2/3, lvl 131. Basically you need to use the invisible ability and farm up blue and green. If he has at least 3 locked tiles use your blue, then green to remove the locked tiles AND you'll need a bit of lucky to not die until you can farm up your yellow.

Thanks for the tip! I used your method, I pumped some iso into my 4/5/3 IW to get her to level 140 and pulled it off. Got my 3rd Hulkbuster cover - blue and he is 1/1/1 now.
  • Thanks for the advice, beat it on my first try with a level 115 3/4/5 IW. This one is very doable. icon_e_smile.gif
  • shatland
    shatland Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    for poops and giggles I tried with my 1/0/0 - lasted for 45ish minutes and got him down around 9500 but there's just no way I could fend of all the locked tiles with cascades and what not. tried again after and didn't last 5 minutes. probly gonna let this one go...
  • Anyone else getting killed by QS's blue even though you were invisible and the explosion didn't destroy your invisibility tile?

Happened to me 3 times trying to beat QS. Twice it destroyed my tile but the 3rd time I got lucky and it left the tile untouched but still damaged me. It left my invisibility tile on board and me with 200 health. I was able to chip away and beat him with that 200 health left. Luckily he didn't set off supersonic again.

Glitch I guess?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CoolB76 wrote:
    Anyone else getting killed by QS's blue even though you were invisible and the explosion didn't destroy your invisibility tile?

Happened to me 3 times trying to beat QS. Twice it destroyed my tile but the 3rd time I got lucky and it left the tile untouched but still damaged me. It left my invisibility tile on board and me with 200 health. I was able to chip away and beat him with that 200 health left. Luckily he didn't set off supersonic again.

Glitch I guess?
    no glitch. any invisible tile (including px too) keeps you from targeted damage, but aoe damage that is done to all enemy characters still comes through. it uses the thinking that if you're invisible you couldn't be targeted by a rifle or a sword, but a hand grenade would still get you if you're in the area icon_e_wink.gif
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Beat it on two tries. Could have been in one but I made the mistake of using blue too soon and got toasted.

My IW us 5-5-3, level 70, no boosts used. Strategy has already been discussed here. Pretty straightforward deal.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have a well-undercovered IW (1-2-1/94), so this was really never going to happen for me. But it seems like it's a very doable node if you can get invisibility rolling and boost match damage to make up for IW's lack of a true nuke (other than force bubbles, which requires a good deal of setup).
  • TxMoose wrote:
    CoolB76 wrote:
    Anyone else getting killed by QS's blue even though you were invisible and the explosion didn't destroy your invisibility tile?

Glitch I guess?
    no glitch. any invisible tile (including px too) keeps you from targeted damage, but aoe damage that is done to all enemy characters still comes through. it uses the thinking that if you're invisible you couldn't be targeted by a rifle or a sword, but a hand grenade would still get you if you're in the area icon_e_wink.gif

Makes sense. Thanks for the explaination.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Remember: Quicksilver can use your Force Bubbles but not the other way around. Casting green with none of your bubbles down just gives him ammunition.

Yes, this! Took me 2 tries because on the first I dropped my green (don't have any blue) and it created 2 bubbles when there were 2 locked tiles on the board. BOOM! on the next blue match. I had to go read the power descriptions to figure out what happened.

On the second attempt I waited until I had enough to fire off green twice back to back to create and destroy the bubbles. Keep enough yellow on hand at all times to cast again if he matches away your invis tile and you're set. I made it through with only about 350 health bc he matched my invis and it led to a crit cascade, but I got it.
  • Banjo
    Banjo Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    Just got it at the 7th attempt, lvl 94 1/1/2

You need a lot of luck regarding tiles and cascades.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Beat it on 7th try with a lvl 70 3/5/5. Got QS down to triple digits twice, one to 124, before dying during my early attempts. Was actually a fun fight!
  • Beat it second try with my level 131 3/1/3. Long fight but came down to blowing up and matching away his supersonic tiles. At the end i had 3 invisibility tiles on the board so just had to make sure not to pop his team damage. Happened once in an unlucky cascade but meh. Got red silver surfer from it icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • mando_514
    Options
    I literally got QS's health down to 49 using my 1/0/0 IW (and boosts), but then that's when he managed to use his AOE. Now I've wasted most of boosts, so I can't even come close to that anymore. It was worth a shot. Oh well! icon_e_confused.gif
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    drewesque wrote:
    I have the worst build...0/2/2. I can see how it would be totally okay with invisibility.
    And I wasted my legendary tokens before the increased 5* to try for a yellow, to no avail.
    Yeah, unless you have her 0/5/5 and leveled pretty high or something like that, I'm going to say that it just can't be done without her yellow.

Took me about 13 tries with my level 70 at 2/2/2. Part of my problem was that I played the first half of my matches not realizing that my force bubbles counted as locked tiles for QS blue.

Get invisible as soon as possible, and do everything to protect that invisibility tile, and avoid blue matches. Create match-4s for the AI to break up locked tiles.

More than anything I'm excited to have gotten through this battle without having to put a single drop of ISO into IW icon_e_biggrin.gif

I disagree about avoiding blue matches. I hate-matched blue as long as I wasn't going to put myself in danger of getting popped by Supersonic. And I matched a lot of team up tile and I matched TUs to pop his bubbles as often as possible.

The trick for me was, to not use Force Bubbles until my green was ready. It also helped to drop the bubbles diagonally bracketing his bubbles. This kept Supersonic in check, since it didn't leave too many of his or my bubbles out there.

Yeah, I agree with you - blue matches are OK if there aren't a lot of locked tiles, and/or you know you can get rid of a locked tile. So here are some instances where I made blue matches.....

- There was no way to avoid giving the AI a blue match, since he was going to make the match anyway, I made it because I need the AP
    - A blue match will create a cascade that eliminates a locked tile
    - A blue match will create a match-4 for AI that will eliminate a locked tile
    - There were fewer than 2 locked tiles on the board and a blue match would create a potential cascade that might eliminate 2 locked tiles

I also tried to always place my force bubbles so that no matter which 2 of the 3 blew up all 3 would be eliminated (or if they weren't all eliminated the last one would be easily matched right afterward.) One of my early failed battles was due to leaving a force bubble right next to a locked TU after using Field Crush, and then never being able to get rid of either of them.
  • metabelian
    Options
    My 5 3 4 made short work of him once I figured out how their tiles interacted.
  • dider152 wrote:
    Can somebody please tell me why IW's rival is Quicksilver? Do they hate each other in the comics, or is this just some contrived tinykitty the devs put together so that QS has a chance with his AOE?

Quicksilver's ex-wife, Crystal, was once a member of the Fantastic Four, and he harassed them for a while.

He harasses everyone, eventually.