IW vs. QS - 4* DDQ matchup

Options

Comments

• Cylaali
    Cylaali Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options
    120 3/5/5 IW easily beat it. As mentioned, get that invisible tile out and start stockpiling green blue and yellow as backup. Place your blue next to QS's locked tiles and blow them up with green. Takes a lil time but I got lucky and beat it on the first go.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    Options
    4 or 5th try for me with a 4/3/2 IW. Started with a lvl 166 but after the 2nd loss, spent iso to lvl 186, which in retrospect I could have avoided, tho it would have taken longer. Same strategies a lot of people here are using, I had 3 (!) invisible tiles on the board by the end of it. Took three rounds of my blue then weak green to bring him down.

Got a redflag.png Starlord for my trouble. With the day 700 reward in a few hours I'll have a yellowflag.png of him too and that should get him into 3/2/2 fighting shape for whenever his day rolls around.

I've got to say, I've really enjoyed these 4* DDQ challenges so far. There's been a strategic element to each one I've liked, where you got to think beyond the quick rush to your main active color. I've not used 4* much so this has been a pleasant education (albeit with the occasional eye-rolling, profanity-laden outburst) on how to use the character against a situation that may look at first **** impossible, but once you "get it", is doable.

That attitude may change now that I'm past my two most covered 4*'s (Xwolv & IW, and after Starlord, I may have a 5 cover Devil Dinosaur - never even look at him anymore to be honest). But the Fury challenge last time gave me hope these challenges are achievable (my Fury was a 1/1/3 level 115), it will just taken some effort, time, and thinking outside of the box I got into with my regular 3's.

Unless it's my 1 cover Cap Falcon, that sucker is a dead man. icon_lol.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yep. Gives you extra insurance against a lucky AI match or cascade.

that is something i did not know.. thanks for the tip.. i had him down to 2100, he matched my invis, so i cast it again, and it was matched again.. then it was over... had i known this, i would have placed the 2nd when the board only had 1 other yellow way down in the corner..

Edit: My IW is 1/2/0.. so it can be done, but would take more luck than i am willing to spare lol .
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ok, I've heard of one IW with no green getting close but none have made it so far. I'm 0 for 3 so far, but seems that sheer luck my 2/2/- might make one of these, although it might take 20+ minutes. one green would make all the difference in the world here. anyone else with no green doing any good? best I've gotten him down to is 10K but I've only had 3 tries so far.
  • SodaPopinski
    SodaPopinski Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Options
    dider152 wrote:
    Can somebody please tell me why IW's rival is Quicksilver? Do they hate each other in the comics, or is this just some contrived tinykitty the devs put together so that QS has a chance with his AOE?

The devs said it does not have to be a true rival and they took time to find good matches to balance each other (similar colors and abilities).

The 1st XFW vs Cyc - Power vs Power
    The 2nd Fury vs Cmags - Same. Strategy also, but they both pack a punch
    The 3rd IW vs QS - Puzzle ability and locked tiles. Of course QS does have AOE also, so you are not able to completely hide yourself behind invisibility.

For posterity. I had a 140 5/4/4 IW and barely lost with no boosts the first round and won the second go 'round with +2 greentile.pngblacktile.png and +1 all.
  • teknofyl
    Options
    brisashi wrote:
    I beat it on the first try 2/2/3 147 IW with no boosts.

The fight is very straightforward. Just get your invisibility tile down and keep him from getting too many locked tiles. Direct matching away his tiles or using force bubbles+crush kept him from getting that far. It was a long match but overall an easy victory.

This is it exactly. Prioritize yellow. You can (and should) drop multiple invisibility tiles (i.e. the do not destroy old ones). Don't fire blue until you have green ready, and drop the bubbles adjacent to any QS-locks you haven't been able to match away.

Take your time. Use your damage boosts (when else will they be useful?). Stay invisible and keep QS's blue from popping. If you don't have at least one cover in each color, this is probably not doable.
  • Managed it first go. IW's invisibility is really effective one on one.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    Options
    have a 2/2/0 lvl 100 IW... there is a green cover sitting in my DDQ vault, but still haven't been able to pull it (or any 4* ever from DDQ).

Got him down as far as half health, but did not know about being able to drop multiple yellow invisibility tiles, thanks for that tip.

Will be putting my extra 10 health packs from today's DDQ vault to use on trying to get this one done today.

EDIT: Just got him down to 457 health before he Blued me to death.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 242 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Beat it first try with 1/1/4 124 IW. Used all AP boost, r/Y +2, and match damage boost. I got my invisible tile out pretty quickly, so I was barely hurt until his blue fired off towards the end. Luckily no more got off, and I finally got some force bubbles and crush to end the match. It was a very looooong match though haha.
  • I got QS down to 1600 with a level 74 1/1/0 IW. It's probably doable with 1/0/0 with a little luck and enough patience.

I have tried about 8 or 10 times with 1/0/0. Closest I've got was around 600 health left. I really thought I was going to do it that time.

Trouble now is my best boosts are all spent. I have no HP to spend on boosts so I'm eating through ISO as well as health packs.
  • It took me something around 15 tries. Most matches I could get him to 2k and then watch a blue shower cascade to wipe me off the map. Even had a couple of matches where he chased yellow before I could invis. He ignored blue black and green matches to keep yellow off the board.

312 covers for level 131.

Hulkbuster red for my troubles.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My 1/1/1 level 78 IW beat QS. I liked today's 4* DPD. It was hard. But doable with correct strategy. Even for a weak character like mine
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That was a battle of attrition, for sure. I wasn't aware of the yellow tiles stacking, I was just saving and recasting. He fired off two Supersonics, but I had enough protect tiles out to take them. I had less than 200 health when I knocked him out. 3rd Red Goddess was my reward. 3/5/2 level 148 IW.
  • I have the worst build...0/2/2. I can see how it would be totally okay with invisibility.
    And I wasted my legendary tokens before the increased 5* to try for a yellow, to no avail.
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Took me 3 tries with my 131lvl 2/3/1 IW. But it were 3 really long and really boring tries...
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Just did it with 2/5/0 level 140. I used r/y 2+, all boost 2+, all damage boost 100%. I got my invisibility tile out within 3 turns and then it was just maximizing match damage and prioritizing yellow, and white tiles whenever they were bubbled. Took me 2 tries because the first time I didn't know she would lose HP due to bubbles bursting after the fourth bubble or I would have won the first time. It can be done as long as you have yellow as one of your powers. The match took me about 15 minutes. The token netted me surfer black, so YAY!!!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2015
    Options
    hah, learned something. if there are 4 locked out there and lots of blue on the board, if you can arrange a blue match-4 to take one of the locks, it completes the line removal before activating the ability. thought I was dead in the water there. on my 8th try. 7th got him down to 6K health.

edit: woot!!!! 8th try with 2/2/0. man that was a long slog. took forever. green would have made it sooo much easier. after striking out getting to 1300 in pvp on a week where cage was boosted where I thought I had chances, getting home here where I thought I had almost no chance is very satisfying. can be done!! 2/2/- level 106 (at level max). boosted r/y +2 and match damage +50% for both r/y and g/black (was not going to throw hp boosts at it).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    2/3/4 IW here at 145.

Took me three tries (but really only two as in the first match I couldn't remember if locked as tiles counted for force field crush (they don't) and quit immediately after a failed experiment).

Overall I think this is a pretty good matchup. QS's blue is threatening, but can't be denied purely with ap denial. And since you need blue ap to fuel your offense, it's a good tension.

On my winning round, I got off a full force bubble/crush cycle twice, and got my invis tile out and buried down in a corner on the first try. Took some time and qs did cascade into a supersonic boom, but With good board luck this should be doable for any iw with 1 cover in yellow, probably a second cover in green, and a lot of patience.
  • Lvl 123 1/0/4. Beat it second try. Yellow first, fast, and often as I had a very low green board. Swipe his blue away and then match up the locked team up tiles as they gave 66 match damage (not a lot, but heck anything helps) Finally got some greens on the board and once i was able to get enough green hit QS. Takes 48 green AP to down him, so the match took me a good 10-15 min.
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    drewesque wrote:
    I have the worst build...0/2/2. I can see how it would be totally okay with invisibility.
    And I wasted my legendary tokens before the increased 5* to try for a yellow, to no avail.
    Yeah, unless you have her 0/5/5 and leveled pretty high or something like that, I'm going to say that it just can't be done without her yellow.

Took me about 13 tries with my level 70 at 2/2/2. Part of my problem was that I played the first half of my matches not realizing that my force bubbles counted as locked tiles for QS blue.

Get invisible as soon as possible, and do everything to protect that invisibility tile, and avoid blue matches. Create match-4s for the AI to break up locked tiles.

More than anything I'm excited to have gotten through this battle without having to put a single drop of ISO into IW icon_e_biggrin.gif