How many players beat Cyclops?

Comments

• CelticBear wrote:
    I beat it on my second try with a 127 2/2/2 WXF. Boosed all match-dmg 100%, g/b +2 ap and g/b 50%. I got lucky in that the only ability Cyclops got off was one mutant revolutionary and I had several match-5s.

You ain't got to lie to kick it
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I played this very early and finished at #53.
    I thought I'd look at my top 10 and see what kind of X-Force Wolvies won her is my top 10 (jdoe893 in first):

Here is the list from 48-57

48.) 5/5/3 lvl 225
    49.) 3/4/3 lvl 191
    50.) 4/1/5 lvl 137
    51.) 3/5/4 lvl 250
    52.) 5/5/3 lvl 270
    53.) 5/5/3 lvl 270 (me)
    54.) 5/5/3 lvl 270
    55.) 3/3/1 lvl 152
    56.) 5/5/3 lvl 270
    57.) 5/5/2 lvl 250

There are a few less covered lower level Wolvies that finished on what must have been first try. As I finished on first try.
    It is definitely hard but clearly doable if you have at least >8 covers.
    Be curious to see other listings.

If you can beat this with a 3/3/1 lvl 152, then I pretty cool with the difficulty level. Also, Cyke is one of the best 3* characters, maybe we'll get blessed with less offensive powerhouses in the future.
  • This battle is a joke right??? Never going to win it.
    I know you will think that I am not a good player. Whatever.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Barely did it on my 6th try. 2/4/2 lvl 140 with 2xB/G Boosts, 2xAll Color Boosts, and 100% damage boosts.

Got very lucky that the board started with little red and just a few blacks. Red never got above 5 for cycke. Hit SS 2x at least.

That wasn't fun though. XForce is by far my most leveled 4*. Not sure my 2/1/7 lvl 74 Nick is going to do so well next week.

THis should really be scaled to the level of the 4* you're using. As a person squarely in 4* transition land this does very little to help if I can't play it with 90% of my 4* roster.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Hard to believe a lv70 did it. Match damage alone would kill him. One of those is a known sniper and most likely a cheater seeing he's got a 011 WXF lv74.

From the boards I see 7-8 cover lv 120ish is the floor.
    And my data, straight from the source is saying differently. Now, I'm not saying there are a *ton* of extremely low level players that have defeated Cyclops, just that it has been done. None of them were done without being a relatively close call on damage taken.

My question here is this: Is that the type of gate you wanted to set up in front of these tokens? If so, then fine. I'll have a realistic shot at it on Hulkbuster, Fury, Thora and Carnage day, and maybe Starlord, Elektra and IW day...maybe. And that's fine, but that's not the gist I got when the feature was announced. I (and it seems most everyone else) thought this would be a way to help us transition into 4* land. What it is in actuality is a way for almost fully transitioned 4* players to move into 5* land.

An interesting bit of data to look at would be how many the contents of the freshly opened Legendary Tokens from this node are immediately sold, because the players capable of earning them don't need more than a handful of 4* covers - I got a yellow Thora. Sold it. If this was your intent, then so be it, but its a slippery slope. You folks are gating these tokens behind some pretty high walls, walls that your average player simply cannot climb. A randomized yet still mostly out of reach prize structure is a really good way to frustrate and alienate players, and that can be dangerous for a game like this...
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    Okay, so a fully covered level 70 can beat the node on a very, very, very lucky board. *yawn*. How many times did they have to play it to pull that off though? 100?

This was advertised as a means to make the 4* transition easier. Instead we got something tailored primarily for 5* transitioners. That's kind of messed up.

I'm playing the Hulk event for the Legendary token. I'm sure I've used close to 100 healthpacks by now on it, and certainly will have by the end of the event.

This is a one-off battle for a Legendary token. It wouldn't surprise me if this was balanced around needing several attempts to beat it. That's fair, and it's still a bargain, both in terms of time and resources. It's probably not worth it for people with a single cover, but lots of people are doing it with a handful of covers. It only costs one healthpack to try again.

And this does make the 4* transition easier. It doesn't replace it, and it doesn't give everyone a 4* cover every 5 days. It accellerates the transition once you've gotten the ball rolling a bit. That's good, and with the increased randomness of 4* distribution, that's where it's really needed. Plus, the harder the node is for you, the greater the expected value of the Legendary token, as it's more likely you're going to need any given 4* cover. That's not a bad tradeoff.

It's also tough to evaluate the steady-state difficulty of this event as they're making several other changes to 4* availability. The PvE token, for one. Increased drop rates of 4*s from heroic tokens. The increasing PvP scores overall making it easier for people to get the 1K progression awards.

We're jumping in the deep end here, both in terms of the opponent's difficulty and the fact that people haven't been able to leverage the increases in 4* availability yet. Every time this comes around again, it'll be easier.
  • IceIX wrote:
    ShionSinX wrote:
    Hard to believe a lv70 did it. Match damage alone would kill him. One of those is a known sniper and most likely a cheater seeing he's got a 011 WXF lv74.

From the boards I see 7-8 cover lv 120ish is the floor.
    And my data, straight from the source is saying differently. Now, I'm not saying there are a *ton* of extremely low level players that have defeated Cyclops, just that it has been done. None of them were done without being a relatively close call on damage taken.

Yeah data is 100% accurate 100% of the time
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I played this very early and finished at #53.
    I thought I'd look at my top 10 and see what kind of X-Force Wolvies won her is my top 10 (jdoe893 in first):

Here is the list from 48-57

48.) 5/5/3 lvl 225
    49.) 3/4/3 lvl 191
    50.) 4/1/5 lvl 137
    51.) 3/5/4 lvl 250
    52.) 5/5/3 lvl 270
    53.) 5/5/3 lvl 270 (me)
    54.) 5/5/3 lvl 270
    55.) 3/3/1 lvl 152
    56.) 5/5/3 lvl 270
    57.) 5/5/2 lvl 250

There are a few less covered lower level Wolvies that finished on what must have been first try. As I finished on first try.
    It is definitely hard but clearly doable if you have at least >8 covers.
    Be curious to see other listings.

If you can beat this with a 3/3/1 lvl 152, then I pretty cool with the difficulty level. Also, Cyke is one of the best 3* characters, maybe we'll get blessed with less offensive powerhouses in the future.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do hope we'll continue seeing fights where our character has a hard counter to one of the enemy's tricks. What success people are having here would be much diminished with an opponent whose strongest color doesn't correspond to his most dangerous active (or indeed any active at all, for instance Kamala Khan or Daken). Hopefully this means Elektra will be fighting somebody who makes strike tiles, for instance.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Over 6K people have completed the node so far, about 42.5% of which have XFs under 200. There's a handful of people that completed it with a base Level 70 XF as well and a few more with a two/three cover build.
    Do we have statistics on how people tried and failed? It would be interesting to see at the end of the day how many people attempting to beat it but were unable to.
    tanis3303 wrote:
    A randomized yet still mostly out of reach prize structure is a really good way to frustrate and alienate players
    I agree. Players shouldn't have to rely on a really lucky board to win.
  • 1st try with 5/3/4 Lv166 + 2x G/B. That was intense.
    It was a lucky board as I didn't need to deny too much red and was able to have dibs on black. And used matched Recovery for damage twice.

I get my first IW yellow in 5 days. I have a mixed bag of 4*. These are going to be hit and miss for sure. When Big Enchilada was first released, I couldn't beat it half the time. The same pattern will apply here but based on my 4* roster. Although even with a fully covered Starlord, I feel like he would lose by himself.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    My XFW is 3/5/5 at 225. I did it first try. I used a green/black boost, 125% whitecrit.png , and 5 of the +50% dmg to green/black boost.

Beat him first try. Agree with others. Play defensive. Deny the big pain. Get to the yellow first. Get the black next.
  • My 553 wolvie was level 70 going into this. Had to pump ISO into him to accomplish this.

Tried at 70, 100, 120, 135(really bad board here) and finally beat him with the level 150 version.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    IceIX wrote:
    Over 6K people have completed the node so far, about 42.5% of which have XFs under 200. There's a handful of people that completed it with a base Level 70 XF as well and a few more with a two/three cover build.

Just for the anecdotal bit of data, beat mine on attempt 2 with a GK Boost. Ran denial on Team-Up and Black AP, Surgical Strike to keep his red consumption down. He threw out Mutant Revolutionary all the time since I didn't care about him matching Yellow, but since I was keeping the TU tiles down that didn't do much.

Data is MUCH appreciated. I suspect that finish rates will drop quite a bit as you progress through the 4* as XFW probably has the largest population of folks with at least some decent # of covers of any 4* character. I beat the node on the first try with +2 GB / +2 All / +30% GB. However, i have a 5/5/3 XFW (albeit at lv188). However, I suspect my 1/2/5 Fury won't fare quite so well next week, and after that, other than IW my covers are mostly down in the 1-3 range for the rest of the 4*.

While it's good that 6K folks (and counting) have succeeded, my concern is that this doesn't feel like a great way to help people move from 3* to 4* so much as help people with good 4* rosters to obtain a chance at 5* characters...and to make sure people spend ISO/HP to level their lower-tier 4* characters to complete this node (not so sneakily I might add).

I will see how well the Fury node goes before making any further judgments -> much of it may well depend on the match-up as Cyke is a pretty nasty 3* to go up against for anyone.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Billigoat wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Do we have statistics on how people tried and failed? It would be interesting to see at the end of the day how many people attempting to beat it but were unable to.
    Easy to pull, yes. Not sure how useful it would be in a vacuum though. There's nothing to really compare this to as nothing else in the game has this set of mission parameters.

The closest you really get are the Sentry or Hulk missions for guaranteed rewards with no repeatability, or maybe Round 7/8 Ultron for difficulty. But even then, you're talking a team of characters versus a minion style battle, so seeing losses there has a different meaning than an equivalent loss here and repeatability means that there will be more wins by default. No doubt there will be some learnings we can tease out of the data, but raw W/L data isn't going to paint a clear picture.
  • SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2015
    So another personal anecdote- my 1/1/1 level 78 Xforce got close to beating him earlier- had him down to 778 once, and 1900 once.

Gave it another 10 goes now- couldn't even come close. Never got him under 10k with my damage boosts gone.

With full damage boosts, a low level has a *chance*, but a very very slim chance.
    But would need to get absurdly lucky.

Here's hoping others have more success than I did, as without boosts it's definitely impossible for low level xforces.

Though I will say, Cyclops getting a team up is INSANELY punishing for a low wolvie to deal with. My HP is only 3200, taking 900+ and him getting free yellows ensured that any time he got the team up, I lost instantly.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Okay I managed to do it with a level 135 1/4/1. It took about 18 or 19 times

Yes we know deny red and black.

Tips that helped me.

Fire black if there are enough red to risk a match.

Only fire green when there are too many red or black to match. I had saved 2 or 3 fires worth before I used it.

Get a good board. Might be worth retreating and prologue heal if possible if the board is red heavy.

If you have black after ai fires yellow use it. Unless it's a rare 1 or 2 that change only.

I used 2ap green black and green black 50% match damage boosts on the win.
  • LXSandman
    LXSandman Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    IceIX wrote:
    Easy to pull, yes. Not sure how useful it would be in a vacuum though. There's nothing to really compare this to as nothing else in the game has this set of mission parameters.

The closest you really get are the Sentry or Hulk missions for guaranteed rewards with no repeatability, or maybe Round 7/8 Ultron for difficulty. But even then, you're talking a team of characters versus a minion style battle, so seeing losses there has a different meaning than an equivalent loss here and repeatability means that there will be more wins by default. No doubt there will be some learnings we can tease out of the data, but raw W/L data isn't going to paint a clear picture.

Thanks for the great response. you say 6k finished it, I guess people are wondering how many people tried it and were unsuccessful / Gave up. Of course I'm not sure that's really relevant to anything.

I appreciate the hard data though... it's really interesting.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Data is MUCH appreciated. I suspect that finish rates will drop quite a bit as you progress through the 4* as XFW probably has the largest population of folks with at least some decent # of covers of any 4* character. I beat the node on the first try with +2 GB / +2 All / +30% GB. However, i have a 5/5/3 XFW (albeit at lv188). However, I suspect my 1/2/5 Fury won't fare quite so well next week, and after that, other than IW my covers are mostly down in the 1-3 range for the rest of the 4*.
    Certainly. Wolverine is by far the most covered 4* character, so he's likely to have some of the highest clear rates. And we'll definitely be poring over the various bits of info we get, both from analytics and raw written feedback, to make sure that things are working how they should.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Billigoat wrote:
    IceIX wrote:

I think he meant more a simple "what percentage of players tried and what percentage did it" comparison. The first part I mean the % of players with at least 1 WXF cover (from the entire base) that tried, then from those how many succeed.

Like, from 100.000 total players 90% had 1 cover or more and attempted and from the 90.000 50% had success.