So how are 4* Tranistioners suppose to earn Legendary tokens

Comments

• GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    At minimum if there were more reward and heroics tossed around (replacing half the 2 stars in the vault with heroics...) people would be a lot more receptive to not havng a 3 star minimum pack.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    you're talking about allocating 3 hours per day in one burst in front of my screen.
    No, I'm not. I'm talking about allocating a total of 3 hours per day, spread out over those 24 hours. Hell, some people spend that much time just sitting on the toilet. Might as well put the time to good use.
  • simonsez
    you're talking about allocating 3 hours per day in one burst in front of my screen. That's not feasible for a lot of people.
    ... and even if I were, this is supposed to be entertainment. Do you write letters to James Cameron and Martin Scorsese telling them their movies are twice as long as they ought to be, because you can't sit in front of a screen for 3 hours? Are you boycotting the NFL until they trim down the games to two 15 minutes halves?

I suspect that most people complaining that 3 hours per day is too much for them have no trouble finding 3 hours a day for other forms of entertainment that they prefer. That's fine. It's all about priorities. But don't expect the entertainment to have to change to personally suit you.
  • Blykmyk
    Blykmyk Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Hmmm...so we are arguing that doing the same node over and over (which by definition means little risk/challenge) is as entertaining as a movie?

It is very interesting how throughout this whole thread all the defense of the implementation surrounds monotonous node grinding and shield hopping tactics. is this what should be in the game description if that is what makes the game "fun"???

Finally...really enjoyed the "participation trophy" comment...I mean that is all people were really asking for when pointing out how a lvl 70 vs a 270 wasn't possible...just to be given the token. Smh...
  • simonsez
    Blykmyk wrote:
    Hmmm...so we are arguing that doing the same node over and over (which by definition means little risk/challenge) is as entertaining as a movie?
    Have you seen the new Fantastic Four?
  • simonsez wrote:
    you're talking about allocating 3 hours per day in one burst in front of my screen.
    No, I'm not. I'm talking about allocating a total of 3 hours per day, spread out over those 24 hours. Hell, some people spend that much time just sitting on the toilet. Might as well put the time to good use.

three hours a day on the toilet???

i really think they should see a doctor... icon_e_surprised.gif
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blykmyk wrote:

It is very interesting how throughout this whole thread all the defense of the implementation surrounds monotonous node grinding and shield hopping tactics. is this what should be in the game description if that is what makes the game "fun"???

Finally...really enjoyed the "participation trophy" comment...I mean that is all people were really asking for when pointing out how a lvl 70 vs a 270 wasn't possible...just to be given the token. Smh...

Many 3* rosters are getting 1000 in PVP without hopping. Even if it required it, one hop, maybe two isn't bad to earn a 4*.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    I think they spoiled the player base. People think you should be able to show up and get the best prizes.

You used to have to compete and place for 2* covers. Now they fall like candy from the sky.

You used to have to compete and place for 3* covers. Now you just show up for 10 min a day and get a cover.

Now people are expecting the 4* DDQ to be easy. To beat it with level 1 powers. To beat it on the 1st or 2nd try. To beat it by mindless matching my own colors and getting off my ability.

They've just set the expectations too low for difficulty.

You are missing the point. It isn't about difficulty directly (indirectly yes since this new challenge is so far out of reach for the majority of players). It is about providing a transition to 4*. The game has a gaping black hole right now in that void (unless you whale it) or devote your life to the game. I play on average 2 hours a day between DDQ and PvE and/or PvP. The only way I can progress my 3* roster to 4* at the current opportunity for 4* tokens is to double that and I won't do that, I would rather quit playing and free up my 2 hours.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    you're talking about allocating 3 hours per day in one burst in front of my screen. That's not feasible for a lot of people.
    ... and even if I were, this is supposed to be entertainment. Do you write letters to James Cameron and Martin Scorsese telling them their movies are twice as long as they ought to be, because you can't sit in front of a screen for 3 hours? Are you boycotting the NFL until they trim down the games to two 15 minutes halves?

I suspect that most people complaining that 3 hours per day is too much for them have no trouble finding 3 hours a day for other forms of entertainment that they prefer. That's fine. It's all about priorities. But don't expect the entertainment to have to change to personally suit you.

Well, I'm not really expecting it to change. I'm curious as to what the Devs think about the people who only do play casually. For a casual player not willing to spend 3 hours a day on PvE, what's a reasonable expectation of the 4* transition? Is it possible?

Breaking 1,000 points in PvP with a 3* team is do-able on a casual player's timeline, at least with a hop (until all the Surfers start showing up, at least). Breaking 1300? Not as likely. PvE? Nope. 4* DPD? Need the 4* built up a little first. Alliance? Nope, dirty casual. Token luck? Maybe if I have 300 taco tokens (I'm pretty unlucky, at least).

As for a personal aside - I don't watch Football, I don't usually go to the movie theater, and I don't have cable. I'm not sure the analogy entirely fits though, as Blykmyk mentioned. Personally, I don't find running the same nodes over and over again entertaining - I'm more just kinda bummed that what effort I am willing to put in (for PvE at least) just isn't enough - and I'm probably a lot more competitive than most casuals.

The real question for me on the PvE though is this - imagine a casual player puts in 1+ year of time, slowly building up his or her 3* roster. Should a new person with a 2* roster who is able to put in 3 hours a day grinding down the nodes be able to leap past the casual player by landing consistent 4* or even 5*s early?
  • GurlBYE wrote:
    The misunderstanding is that legendary packs aren't supposed to be for 3 star players going to 4, they are supposed to be heroics for 4 star players.

Ice claimed that it would be difficult with 4* with 1 cover but doable with a handful of covers. That is incredibly far from the reality. It's extremely difficult with a handful of covers and godlike luck while impossible with 1 cover. They can't complain about the misunderstanding because we weren't the ones that relayed the terrible misinformation.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Ice claimed that it would be difficult with 4* with 1 cover but doable with a handful of covers. That is incredibly far from the reality. It's extremely difficult with a handful of covers and godlike luck while impossible with 1 cover. They can't complain about the misunderstanding because we weren't the ones that relayed the terrible misinformation.
    Except that there are most definitely players doing it with a handful of covers, and more that are doing it with a relatively low leveled 4*. It's by no means easy. I did specifically say that we expect a real live 4* in there. I'm not sure I ever said it was supposed to be easy or something that anyone with that day's 4*, or even that a low leveled 4* could simply do. The closest I said is that I've managed to beat many of the nodes with my Live builds, none of whom barring maybe Wolverine are high leveled.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Except that there are most definitely players doing it with a handful of covers, and more that are doing it with a relatively low leveled 4*. It's by no means easy. I did specifically say that we expect a real live 4* in there. I'm not sure I ever said it was supposed to be easy or something that anyone with that day's 4*, or even that a low leveled 4* could simply do. The closest I said is that I've managed to beat many of the nodes with my Live builds, none of whom barring maybe Wolverine are high leveled.

were you using teamups, because you specifically stated they would be allowed and there was no retraction of that prior to the event????
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    The misunderstanding is that legendary packs aren't supposed to be for 3 star players going to 4, they are supposed to be heroics for 4 star players.

handful is such a nebulous term. my 7 cover did it first try with some luck. I'd say 5-7 covers could be considered a handful. however, with xforce I think the key is black and I think a 5/1/5 would have a tough time of it, even at 11 covers (although yellow sure would help more than mine). mine is 2/4/1.
  • Or about the comment that 1 or 2 covers wouldn't be impossible. A lot of this could have easily been clarified back then by just saying there's no chance of 1-2 covered 4*s beating the challenge. Unless there was massive changes to the challenge between then and now, there's no way anyone should say that few covers had a shot at the token.
  • IceIX
    thanos8587 wrote:
    were you using teamups, because you specifically stated they would be allowed and there was no retraction of that prior to the event????
    Nope. Mainly because I'm lazy and keep forgetting to hit those 3 buttons.
  • IceIX wrote:
    thanos8587 wrote:

with all due respect for the frustration of the forums that youre dealing with, that avoids the point of saying one thing and then the complete opposite occurring without notification.

and dont teamups auto equip now when the slots are empty?
  • simonsez
    The real question for me on the PvE though is this - imagine a casual player puts in 1+ year of time, slowly building up his or her 3* roster. Should a new person with a 2* roster who is able to put in 3 hours a day grinding down the nodes be able to leap past the casual player by landing consistent 4* or even 5*s early?
    If you're asking whether or not someone who plays for 700 hours over the course of 6 months should progress beyond someone who plays for 350 hours over the course of a year, I would say of course he should. Progress should correlate to one's effort, not the calendar.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    Now people are expecting the 4* DDQ to be easy. To beat it with level 1 powers. To beat it on the 1st or 2nd try. To beat it by mindless matching my own colors and getting off my ability.

People are not expecting it to be easy, but most will have been expecting it to be doable by those in a 3* to 4* transition and not it only being viable if you are already well into 4* because for all the talk of this being there to speed up the transition to 5*, the reality is that 95% of the awards from it are 4* that are more useful to those who don't already have them.
  • IceIX
    thanos8587 wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    thanos8587 wrote:

with all due respect for the frustration of the forums that youre dealing with, that avoids the point of saying one thing and then the complete opposite occurring without notification.

and dont teamups auto equip now when the slots are empty?
    They do, but it's a combination of two things:
    - Out of sight, out of mind. I don't generally pay attention to which TUs get chosen, so I don't usually pop over to the TU area to see which ones I have unless I'm in dire trouble.
    - I'm normally doing character balance testing, which means fighting multiple battles at low/middle ability levels (and high too). That means my TU stock is filled with things like Level 40 Devours and Level 150 Thunderclaps and the like from random Versus or Prologue battles.

Yes, I can (and sometimes do) set specific TUs for tests. Usually though, I play how I play on Live, which is largely without TU usage.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    scottee wrote:

People are not expecting it to be easy, but most will have been expecting it to be doable by those in a 3* to 4* transition and not it only being viable if you are already well into 4* because for all the talk of this being there to speed up the transition to 5*, the reality is that 95% of the awards from it are 4* that are more useful to those who don't already have them.

There's scores of people in the other thread beating it with underleveled XForce. People who have them below 150. To me, that isn't already well into the 4* transition. "Doable" only has to be done once.