So how are 4* Tranistioners suppose to earn Legendary tokens

Comments

• AnonymousMPQ
    AnonymousMPQ Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Quebbster wrote:
    I feel that Legendary Tokens are for 4* players transitioning to 5* not 3* players transitioning to 4*, especially the 4* DDQ.
    I think it's possible for 3* players to get PvE and PvP season progression Legendaries. There's also the 1000 point progression 4* cover to help start the 4* transition. After some thinking, I don't have much of an issue with the DDQ Legendary token being hard to get.

Yes, there are definitely ways of getting 4* like the ones that you mentioned, but I also feel those ways still heavily favor end game player a lot more than stable but not great 3* players.

For me, it's a 3-4 hour a day commitment to get the PvE progression award, that's 21-28 hours that I personally elect to not spend playing.

For me, every time I hit 500 points or so in PvP I get hit by so many people that I get knocked back down to 300ish. I'm electing not to shield because I have so few HP and it's really hard for me to earn them.

I don't begrudge the designers with the choices, I just know that with my casual play style I will not be able able to transition to 4* any time soon if ever.

I felt the same way about 3* transitioning before DDQ started. To me, it was a godsend in quality of life. I felt incremental roster improvement season to season. There was hope before seeing how the legendary tokens were implement them that maybe I can earn them in a way that fit my game routine. That hope is gone.
  • KingDon
    KingDon Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    So after 18 health packs (I am thankful for stock piling nearly 50) 28 +1 all boosts, 30 damage all boosts I have not been successful......only once have I come close to downing Cyk, he had 2k health left (I had used a damage all boosts plus pulled out the retired +20% damage to X-men and +20% damage to mutants) he had no yellow AP, 3 red and 2 black, made 1 blue match 3, then cascaded 4 black matches and then boom......game over man.......
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    KingDon wrote:
    So after 18 health packs (I am thankful for stock piling nearly 50) 28 +1 all boosts, 30 damage all boosts I have not been successful......only once have I come close to downing Cyk, he had 2k health left (I had used a damage all boosts plus pulled out the retired +20% damage to X-men and +20% damage to mutants) he had no yellow AP, 3 red and 2 black, made 1 blue match 3, then cascaded 4 black matches and then boom......game over man.......

What does your xforce look like? If you have 10+ covers I might keep trying. If you have less than that, you might just want to wait until you have finished whatever pve/PvP goals you have for the day.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    KingDon wrote:
    So how else can we earn these. well the Hulk pve has one rewarded at 70k, ok cool, that should be fairly obtainable.....well, no, I have being doing around 4 clears per sub (finishing in Top 100) but I am sitting on 24k pts with less than 3 days left, the most I have seen a node for is 600 pts....now unless these are going to be shooting up to the 1 / 1.5 k mark, I doubt I will reach that (although props to the dev's for putting more progression rewards In, that earns a doth of the cap)
    Did you start late? I'm doing 3 clears a sub and a few extra nodes in the final grind and I am close to 50K. Getting to 70K shouldn't be an issue if you start early, do three grinds and have all the essential characters.
    Or, you know, basically live your life around the refresh cycle. Competitive PvE, everybody!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Agree with the concept. I have all the 3*'s max covered, at level 140 or better. Transitioning to 4*: I have no idea how to get these.

I'll get a couple from DDQ - but very, very few of my 4*'s will be ready to take on that challenge.

I have this thing called "life with family" - so seven day PVE's (or three days which always seem to be over weekends) are impossible grinds for me to get there.

I hit 1300 about six times in the last couple seasons when I really, really wanted/needed the reward in PVP. But without knowing what it is, and knowing how much HP that cost me - I simply cannot run up to that point with any regularity. I honestly don't see how people are both running to 1300 in PVP -and- affording the crazy HP costed roster slots....my HP drained very, very quickly when I tried to do both - I hit those 1300's while I was selling my 2*'s to put the new 4*'s in their spots.

I think you get one from season progression at 10K maybe? -Edit- Oh, and DDQ vaults! So you'll get two of those in....oh right, a year.

So I'll end any given season with probably two on average. Horray 4* transition speed!
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    KingDon wrote:
    I know the obvious answer but when you are unable to obtain any of these, then what is the point?
    No one is unable. Anyone can earn one as the PvE progression. It's set at half the score of what the bracket leaders are going to end up with, so it's not as if it requires crazy grinding.
  • simonsez
    DayvBang wrote:
    Or, you know, basically live your life around the refresh cycle.
    No you don't have to do that, so keep the cork in the stale whine. Each sub is averaging 3500-4000 points, so if you clear each node down to 1 just once, you would have 12k-14k points per sub, which is more than enough to get you to 70k over the course of 7 days. No need to worry about the refresh timer... just find the time to clear them down once in 24 hours. Does it really need to be any easier than that?
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they spoiled the player base. People think you should be able to show up and get the best prizes.

You used to have to compete and place for 2* covers. Now they fall like candy from the sky.

You used to have to compete and place for 3* covers. Now you just show up for 10 min a day and get a cover.

Now people are expecting the 4* DDQ to be easy. To beat it with level 1 powers. To beat it on the 1st or 2nd try. To beat it by mindless matching my own colors and getting off my ability.

They've just set the expectations too low for difficulty.
  • Esheris
    Esheris Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    You can use 2stars to earn the 3star in the Deadpool Daily (as long as you have at least one cover). I'm surpised to see this doesn't apply to earning the Legendary token (using 3stars to earn a 4star).
  • simonsez
    Esheris wrote:
    You can use 2stars to earn the 3star in the Deadpool Daily (as long as you have at least one cover). I'm surpised to see this doesn't apply to earning the Legendary token (using 3stars to earn a 4star).
    It's a 1-on-1 battle. How are they supposed to require a 4* (in keeping with the 3* cover requirements) and let you use other characters at the same time?
  • The answer is obvious - you're expected to buy a ton of 40-packs and whale it up.

Which makes the answer for me just as obvious: I've found a screen recorder that seems to work passably well for when I wipe my roster later, as I don't expect the devs to actually care about losing paying customers (they never have in the past).
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    I think they spoiled the player base. People think you should be able to show up and get the best prizes.

You used to have to compete and place for 2* covers. Now they fall like candy from the sky.

You used to have to compete and place for 3* covers. Now you just show up for 10 min a day and get a cover.

Now people are expecting the 4* DDQ to be easy. To beat it with level 1 powers. To beat it on the 1st or 2nd try. To beat it by mindless matching my own colors and getting off my ability.

They've just set the expectations too low for difficulty.

Agee in principle that shouldn't be easy to obtain, however there is a difference between difficult & impossible.

Today's DDQ was a breeze for me (1st attempt, turn 4) as my XF is maxed Lv 270 3/5/5 however how is my Lv 70 1/0/0 Thing going to fare, or my 1/2/1 Electra or my 1/1/1 Kingpin?

I'm on day 550+ with nearly all 3* maxed however I don't like the PvP set-up which is nothing to do with ability, or roster size/strength merely how good/lucky are you at shield hopping. I therefore don't tend to bother going beyond 6-700. As such the majority of my roster includes all the 4* at between 1 & 5 covers. The introduction of this DDQ is making the 4* transition to be a mandatory 1000 minimum in PvP, in order to get a pool of 4* covers to give you a chance (pretty sure that this DDQ will be next to impossible for any character with less than 6 covers). Unfortunately the PvE model will never allow you to get 6+ covers for 1 character as its "on to the next release asap".

My gripe with this introduction is that it is aimed solely at PvP players.
  • simonsez
    Druss wrote:
    Today's DDQ was a breeze for me (1st attempt, turn 4) as my XF is maxed Lv 270 3/5/5 however how is my Lv 70 1/0/0 Thing going to fare, or my 1/2/1 Electra or my 1/1/1 Kingpin?
    Maybe you're not supposed to get every one?
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    this whole "4* DDQ" is for 4>5 transition forgets the fact there was never a 3>4 transition in this game.

One could argue regular DDQ helps 2>3, so where is the 3>4? Was is the previous 5 seasons where they barraged us with 4*s most couldn't get? This is broken and needs to be fixed. Allow TU and reduce the scaling to 240 at least.
  • mjh wrote:
    this whole "4* DDQ" is for 4>5 transition forgets the fact there was never a 3>4 transition in this game.

One could argue regular DDQ helps 2>3, so where is the 3>4? Was is the previous 5 seasons where they barraged us with 4*s most couldn't get? This is broken and needs to be fixed. Allow TU and reduce the scaling to 240 at least.
    this whole "there was never a 3* -> 4* transition" forgets that they changed PvP and progression rewards so that 3* rosters can have characters boosted to 240 and earn 4* covers at 1000 pts every event - more at 1300 if they have the HP to invest in shield hopping.
  • XandorXerxes
    XandorXerxes Posts: 340 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2015
    simonsez wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:
    Or, you know, basically live your life around the refresh cycle.
    No you don't have to do that, so keep the cork in the stale whine. Each sub is averaging 3500-4000 points, so if you clear each node down to 1 just once, you would have 12k-14k points per sub, which is more than enough to get you to 70k over the course of 7 days. No need to worry about the refresh timer... just find the time to clear them down once in 24 hours. Does it really need to be any easier than that?

That's not terribly practical. I try to do once before work, once right after work, once before bed. I can usually make that work, and so far it's netted me about 34K points - so I probably won't make the token.

Grinding down takes 6 clears. Assuming an average player can even make 6 clears on 10 health packs, at half an hour or more a clear (which I think is probably where most people are going to be unless they're super competitive) you're talking about allocating 3 hours per day in one burst in front of my screen. That's not feasible for a lot of people.

For me, I'll just have to keep hitting the 1K in PVP until my 4* roster fleshes out more. I was hoping that this daily node was going to be a slow trickle to help sustain my transition, but with more and more 4*s coming out (thus spreading covers even thinner) it's going to be a while before any of my 4*s are truly usable.

What I'd like to see from the Devs is what a 4* transition is supposed to look like according to them, especially to the casual player who will eventually reach the same 3* covers as a competitive player. Do the devs even think they can transition?
  • I tried the 4* DPD challenge with my 1/1/1 4* Wolverine. At first when I saw the 270 Cyke I quickly adjusted my attitude to take it on as just a fun thing and see what the experience was like. I did ok playing defensively for a while then the AI pulled out a Thor teamup when I thought they were locked. That stomped me.

Yep I pretty much agree with the sentiment that the current implementation of legendary tokens and the means to get them are not supportive of a player looking to casually transition into 4* territory.

But I figure it pretty much works for their actual business model. People who are willing to pay can get themselves righted on these new paths of challenging progression. I guess I'm ok with that. And I guess I'm ok with remaining a casual player in the middle of 3* land with a handful of 1 cover 4*s who shouldn't be trying to get mixed up in the legendary stuff.

Two things that would be nice for the devs to do to help casual players:

1) Offer some gameplay paths that give value for having starter 4*s. Perhaps all that's needed is for the new 4* node in DPD to be available every day, but the first four days of each 5-day set that node is a regular 3v3 where your team must be all 4*s and the opposing team starts off small on the first day (3 random 1*s), and each subsequent day gets harder. Rewards don't have to be anything special until the 5th day's ultimate opponent. It's just fun to have an option to use these characters that are otherwise doorstops.

2) Remove the pressure causing the roster slot crunch. When a new 4* comes along, casual players are punished acutely. Their options are to either sell it (which cripples any long term gaming goal the casual player has), or force a roster slot for it (either by booting a productive character for what will be a long-unproductive character, or go bankrupt on HP for a new slot). Casual players simply cannot afford to spend their HP in any other way except for roster slots. While there's some fun tension in theory in the concept of HP costs for roster slots, it certainly doesn't apply to players who pay money, and for the rest it's probably way better to eliminate those costs now to open up interesting tensions between all the other options to spend HP on.

One other bonus thing that would be nice:

Please tone down the superhype on every new release. Sure things like Silver Surfer and Iceman and Reed Richards are cool and deserve hype. But these are only going to benefit a niche of the audience, and undermine a good chunk of others. Blasting out the same tone of hype to everyone only to let half of them down is how message board topics like this get started. The 3* land of this game is quite good for casual players as is, even when you're adding stuff elsewhere for the whalers at the same time. But the wrong kind of hype can sour that balance. Just keep working on better balanced hype. It'll come around.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    mjh wrote:

this whole "there was never a 3* -> 4* transition" forgets that they changed PvP and progression rewards so that 3* rosters can have characters boosted to 240 and earn 4* covers at 1000 pts every event - more at 1300 if they have the HP to invest in shield hopping.
    that is an awfully slow way to transition by itself. 1K 10x a month plus alliance plus some odd pulls. say, average 15 covers a month. if you have everyone at 1/1/1, will take you about 11 months if you're very consistent. now, add pve progressions - say 4 more a month. so up to 20 a month but more randomness brings it down to 8 months which, is slightly more reasonable. as it is, i'll probably be only adding 1 ddq 4*/month or so looking at my roster, and even that will be pretty hard. nearly everyone whose been around for a while has at least a 1/1/1 xforce plus whatever token pulls and 1Ks hit. this will get loads harder as we go along and not sure how many resources i'll toss at it with my 1/2/1 fury.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The misunderstanding is that legendary packs aren't supposed to be for 3 star players going to 4, they are supposed to be heroics for 4 star players.

95% chance at something that may have a passing use to you, and 5% chance of getting something to help you progress.

While we may not agree with it, it seems like thats whats happening.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Grinding down takes 6 clears. Assuming an average player can even make 6 clears on 10 health packs, at half an hour or more a clear (which I think is probably where most people are going to be unless they're super competitive) you're talking about allocating 3 hours per day in one burst in front of my screen. That's not feasible for a lot of people.
    Agreed, and I admit I get a little annoyed when I read comments like that from players who think it's no big deal. I've got a wife & a 5-month-old at home. I work during the day. 3 hours per day, to spend mindlessly repeating the same nodes over & over again? No, it is simply not possible. If I tried to pull that off even once ("Hey honey, I'm going to play a game for the next 90 minutes, can you take care of the baby all by yourself for that time?"), my wife would make sure I never attempted it again.

That said, I do accept that I won't be getting Legend tokens any time soon, if at all. They're clearly not targeted at me. I did make a slot purchase today to save a 4* Deadpool, though I seriously wonder why I bothered since the 4* DDQ is nothing like the 3* version and does feel like it's going to cater to the ~1% who are deep into 4* land already. If I have no intention of ever being a 1%'er, then why should I spend any more money in this game? I don't have a good answer to that today.