MPQ Sneak Peek: Upcoming In September, 2015 (Updated 9/22)

Comments

• Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    lukewin wrote:
    -Please refrain from trolling fellow forum members -- that being said -- I hear Taihiti is really nice this time of the year; enjoy a week vacation!

It's a magical place.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nellobee wrote:
    lukewin wrote:
    -Please refrain from trolling fellow forum members -- that being said -- I hear Taihiti is really nice this time of the year; enjoy a week vacation!

It's a magical place.

I hear Belize is also a great place. (responding to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. reference with Breaking Bad reference).
  • I would be a lot happier if they slowed down the new character releases massively (maybe 1/month) and focused instead on improving the variety of stories and content.

However, I'd guess that d3 is just seeing the short term gain from whales buying new character covers instead of the long term pain of wearing out vets and making entry to the game impossible for new players.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    K8ee wrote:
    I would be a lot happier if they slowed down the new character releases massively (maybe 1/month) and focused instead on improving the variety of stories and content.

However, I'd guess that d3 is just seeing the short term gain from whales buying new character covers instead of the long term pain of wearing out vets and making entry to the game impossible for new players.
    We've been having 2 new chars per month for almost a year now.

I'm pretty certain the number of new players who stick around for 60+ days and spend some money far, far FAR outweighs the handful of vets who quit and probably haven't spent anything in a year.

If the business case didn't make sense, they wouldn't have done these releases for so long.

So however much some very vocal posters here may hate it, those 2 chars/month are here to stay until the revenue figures start dropping (which they won't).
  • It would be much easier to take if they were released in a more interesting way. E.g. a new character always has a new themed pve and new story panels.

Just churning them out through ill fitting and repetitive story arcs is the biggest pain.
  • The Freemium business model has always been 'maximum profit from minimum work' and new characters are much less work then new content. Plus they've stated they only work two weeks out. So if anything can't be designed, coded, and lightly tested in two weeks I wouldn't expect them to do it.
  • Tarheelmax
    Tarheelmax Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Cayasha wrote:
    The Freemium business model has always been 'maximum profit from minimum work' and new characters are much less work then new content. Plus they've stated they only work two weeks out. So if anything can't be designed, coded, and lightly tested in two weeks I wouldn't expect them to do it.

Agile at its best (worst).
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    K8ee wrote:
    I would be a lot happier if they slowed down the new character releases massively (maybe 1/month) and focused instead on improving the variety of stories and content.

We've been having 2 new chars per month for almost a year now.

I'm pretty certain the number of new players who stick around for 60+ days and spend some money far, far FAR outweighs the handful of vets who quit and probably haven't spent anything in a year.

If the business case didn't make sense, they wouldn't have done these releases for so long.

So however much some very vocal posters here may hate it, those 2 chars/month are here to stay until the revenue figures start dropping (which they won't).
    the more telling thing is how every time a new character is released, people $$$ them to get a maxed version of that character.

They're not gonna stop unless that changes.
  • Writing some content and putting together the new panels is unlikely to break anything. I just guess they can't be bothered!

And I guess that's where freemium breaks down. Those that pay (sometimes a lot) for the game have a different expectation level to those that play for free.

I've been playing for 6 months now and I don't think there has been a single new story in that time. The only new content was the antman event but I don't think that had any dialogue, just the mission select screens.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also wonder if they get more $$$ if the character is better. I'd love to see the $$$ made from xpool vs. falcap. or ant man vs jean grey. that might contribute to power creep if much less is spent on weaker characters. they feel like they have to make every one as strong or stronger than what is there or less will spend on it. I also wonder how much they make from **** whales vs roster slot spends. lots of interesting stuff we'll probably never find out.

KBee - last 6 months included 2 ultrons as well - did not exist 6 months ago. last new regular pve was EoTS and that was like 9 months ago - that is what's lacking. but we've had a couple new side events since then.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    I also wonder if they get more $$$ if the character is better. I'd love to see the $$$ made from xpool vs. falcap. or ant man vs jean grey. that might contribute to power creep if much less is spent on weaker characters. they feel like they have to make every one as strong or stronger than what is there or less will spend on it. I also wonder how much they make from **** whales vs roster slot spends. lots of interesting stuff we'll probably never find out.

KBee - last 6 months included 2 ultrons as well - did not exist 6 months ago. last new regular pve was EoTS and that was like 9 months ago - that is what's lacking. but we've had a couple new side events since then.
    just from looking at my opponents, Jean grey is very $$$$ deadpool may or may not be $$$(I figure his fans actually earned his covers, don't see too many 350 running around) Falcap, granted he's very new, haven't seen too many high level of him.

Whales fund F2P games, its an established fact...I don't need to outline the amount you have to pay to have a 13/13 270 Jean Grey before 13 covers are even given out(unless you've got lady luck) icon_cool.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    K8ee wrote:
    Writing some content and putting together the new panels is unlikely to break anything. I just guess they can't be bothered!

And I guess that's where freemium breaks down. Those that pay (sometimes a lot) for the game have a different expectation level to those that play for free.

I've been playing for 6 months now and I don't think there has been a single new story in that time. The only new content was the antman event but I don't think that had any dialogue, just the mission select screens.
    Doing the work still takes time. A new story is not just something you toss together over morning coffee. Manhours are a finite resource, after all.
  • Quebbster wrote:
    K8ee wrote:
    Writing some content and putting together the new panels is unlikely to break anything. I just guess they can't be bothered!

Doing the work still takes time. A new story is not just something you toss together over morning coffee. Manhours are a finite resource, after all.

Exactly. I would challenge -anyone- to "churn out a new story" and clock exactly how long it takes them to do so and then have it submitted on the forums for others to critique quality wise. And that's not even having the pressure of having to appease who you have licensing rights from, and being a forward facing product of the company.

Add in the fact that until they can monetize story content, it generates 0 revenue itself, and its no surprise it's not a focus. It's also been said most of the dialogue/story has to be requested from someone within Marvel, and is the same person that does Avengers Alliance, which explains the ISO-8 Ties. It's apparent that its a more complicated situation than that people just "Can't be bothered".
  • I know it takes time to write content, and i appreciate how tough it can be to do that well. My point is that it doesn't need "testing" like new powers do so it needs an author not a tech team.

The problem is that it doesn't earn money directly, just makes players happier in the long run and feel part of something that grows over time instead of stuck in a loop that they will, eventually, grow bored of.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    K8ee wrote:
    I know it takes time to write content, and i appreciate how tough it can be to do that well. My point is that it doesn't need "testing" like new powers do so it needs an author not a tech team.
    Actually, new PvE does require testing. Note how some events have had bugs in them before that didn't happen in other events, things like inconsistent application of scaling or disappearing nodes. Even the scoring probably needs to be tested against the progression awards, although I think this was more true when rubber-banding was more pronounced.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    K8ee wrote:

How is releasing new goals for people to work towards a short term gain? What about the people who already have everything?

If a new story mode comes out and if you're a comic fan (I'm not), you might read through it once. Are you going to read through it again the next time it comes around?
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    K8ee wrote:
    I know it takes time to write content, and i appreciate how tough it can be to do that well. My point is that it doesn't need "testing" like new powers do so it needs an author not a tech team.

The problem is that it doesn't earn money directly, just makes players happier in the long run and feel part of something that grows over time instead of stuck in a loop that they will, eventually, grow bored of.

Tbh, I rarely read the dialogue past the first screen, if I even read that. It really doesn't have any bearing on the gameplay and I'd rather just get to the action.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    MojoWild wrote:
    K8ee wrote:

Tbh, I rarely read the dialogue past the first screen, if I even read that. It really doesn't have any bearing on the gameplay and I'd rather just get to the action.

there is a you-tuber somewhere to dictates all the storylines for all the events in MPQ.. so you can hear the stories if you want.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,320 Site Admin
    Updated OP with upcoming events.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    Updated OP with upcoming events.
    UPCOMING VERSUS TOURNAMENTS
    Hulk - Smash Hit
    Quicksilver - Blue Shift
    Mr. Fantastic - ???
    Mystique - Identity Theft
    Black Panther - Predator and Prey (End of season 18)

as an alliance mate pointed out, this makes 12 events in the season?

Events already played
    1 icon_daredevil.png
    2 icon_vision.png
    3 icon_kamalakhan.png
    4 icon_captainamerica.png (Falcon)
    5 icon_blackwidow.png
    6 icon_punisher.png