**** Jean Grey (All New X-Men) ****

Options

Comments

• Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2015
    Options
    After Luke's PvP and seeing multiple maxed Jeans or close to max 5/3/4 was common, I can honestly say this.

Blue--just like Loki you can play around it, never had it go off

Green--Strong, hurts, but only had it go off once after a big AI cascade

Purple--Had I not been running Thora, I would have gotten hit by this much more, as is, in the 14 matches against her, she got her purple off 4 times. And Thora kept it going off another 3, this skill is way too quick for the amount of dmg it does, and while Jean's health was boosted due to the bump thus increasing her chance of having it go, her dmg wasn't from what I saw. I don't want to see an AP increase, but this skill needs about 800 AoE shaved off it.

Edit: I do understand Jean was boosted, and more than likely her high health increased the rate of purple, which is where the other possible nerf should go if not to skill is that her 13K health is way too high for that damage output.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Can you really get an accurate world view when fighting a boosted version?

I haven't fought her yet because there was no reason to with considerably weaker teams floating around, but anything in double digit AP strikes me as avoidable in the AI's hands.
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Can you really get an accurate world view when fighting a boosted version?

I haven't fought her yet because there was no reason to with considerably weaker teams floating around, but anything in double digit AP strikes me as avoidable in the AI's hands.

agreed, however the versions I fought the dmg was darn close to a maxed 270, it was the health that was a little boosted. The only other option if they aren't going to drop her dmg is that they need to drop her health, that's the thing. With that high of health the chances of her getting 10 purple is very high.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sigh.

1st, this is not the character discussion section.

2nd, by your own omission, her purple hardly went off when you take into account how many times you played against her.

3rd, her blue did not go off, which you should know means a more powerful purple makes her a balanced character overall.

You cannot look at individual powers in a vacuum. If that was the case bagman purple would be op as well. Another example was sentry, wr or sacrifice was balanced on its own. However, overall, the character was op, not balanced.

There is nothing out of line from jg and other characters.

Lastly, she has new mechanics, it is not shocking that it will take players a little time to adjust playing against her, not unlike carnage black, hood blue, loki green, etc.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    So after facing off a lot of 245 Jean Greys that were 5/3/4, I can say this.

Purple is very overpowered, blue never went off, green hurts like a mofo but at least you can block it. Purple either needs damaged shaved or an increase in cost because that's way too quick for that kind of AoE dmg.

It does seem off that her purple is cheaper than khan's green, does more damage, AND has an awesome utility effect to boot in destroying enemy specials.

I still think it should be possible to avoid thebpyrple most of the time. 10ap is still a 4-match move, so it's deniable if you just focus on collecting purple. But that means you have to collect purple, so you should bring someone who can do something with it.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stop. Just, please stop.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    So after facing off a lot of 245 Jean Greys that were 5/3/4, I can say this.

Purple is very overpowered, blue never went off, green hurts like a mofo but at least you can block it. Purple either needs damaged shaved or an increase in cost because that's way too quick for that kind of AoE dmg.

It does seem off that her purple is cheaper than khan's green, does more damage, AND has an awesome utility effect to boot in destroying enemy specials.

I still think it should be possible to avoid thebpyrple most of the time. 10ap is still a 4-match move, so it's deniable if you just focus on collecting purple. But that means you have to collect purple, so you should bring someone who can do something with it.

I still have not faced her maxed but I have to say that she should be more powerful than KK, this is why she is a 4! And yeah, purple is really good, but it is her very good ability. Green is not bad, but it is not great, and blue is good but very situational, so I think purple should be really good...

And AoE are not as devastating as they used to be after the big gain in hitpoints. 4000 to all hurts bad, but you can recover from it (it hurts more your health packs than your chances of winning).
  • Polares
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    After Luke's PvP and seeing multiple maxed Jeans or close to max 5/3/4 was common, I can honestly say this.

Purple--Had I not been running Thora, I would have gotten hit by this much more, as is, in the 14 matches against her, she got her purple off 4 times. And Thora kept it going off another 3, this skill is way too quick for the amount of dmg it does, and while Jean's health was boosted due to the bump thus increasing her chance of having it go, her dmg wasn't from what I saw. I don't want to see an AP increase, but this skill needs about 800 AoE shaved off it.

Edit: I do understand Jean was boosted, and more than likely her high health increased the rate of purple, which is where the other possible nerf should go if not to skill is that her 13K health is way too high for that damage output.

So basically you are saying Jean Grey has just one good power and you want to nerf it ?!?!?! This is quite extrem...

And yes it is the best AoE of the game, but she is a 4, and the only other AoE of a 4 is Carnages (which is also quite good).

I think is also worth mentioning that after hitpoints were buffed AoE attacks are not as deadly (and Jeans purple is not going to be as buffed when she is boosted as others AoE like RotP or CtS), they hurt more your health packs than your chance of winning the fight. When allmost all 4s have more than 12000 hit points, 4000 is not that bad...
  • Phaserhawk
    Options
    Polares wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

So basically you are saying Jean Grey has just one good power and you want to nerf it ?!?!?! This is quite extrem...

And yes it is the best AoE of the game, but she is a 4, and the only other AoE of a 4 is Carnages (which is also quite good).

I think is also worth mentioning that after hitpoints were buffed AoE attacks are not as deadly (and Jeans purple is not going to be as buffed when she is boosted as others AoE like RotP or CtS), they hurt more your health packs than your chance of winning the fight. When allmost all 4s have more than 12000 hit points, 4000 is not that bad...

Again, fine with her dmg, not okay with her health. Here's the issue.

4*'s have roughly a 61% advantage in health, dmg etc.

Jean Grey when dropped to 3* status would look like this (assuming all skills are max 5)

health 8000-8670
    Mind over Matter--2375 AoE 10 AP
    Psychic--1272 AoE
    Full of --2068 AoE 12 AP

When you look at it on the surface even I can say that doesn't look bad, she's a jacked up Scarlet Witch, but what I don't want and I am greatly fearing after seeing this 4*'s, is Power Creep Jean has now pushed the level of that with her purple, just be careful what you guys keep wishing for. But the quickest way to make this game **** is to have every new character out do the next.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    [But the quickest way to make this game **** is to have every new character out do the next.
    Then you'd better get yourself to the 4* Deadpool thread pronto...
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The other thing that makes Jean's purple costing 10 more palatable is that it can't be easily accelerated, because there's only two powers in the game that specifically boost purple AP and neither of them is going to work very well with her; Espionage can only trigger if Jean is either absurdly underleveled or stunned, and Infiltration is not very helpful when you're only looking for purple.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    icon_jeangrey.png Added icon icon_jeangrey.png
  • The other thing that makes Jean's purple costing 10 more palatable is that it can't be easily accelerated, because there's only two powers in the game that specifically boost purple AP and neither of them is going to work very well with her; Espionage can only trigger if Jean is either absurdly underleveled or stunned, and Infiltration is not very helpful when you're only looking for purple.
    Arcane incantation?
  • Pylgrim wrote:
    Stop. Just, please stop.

you didn't bring cheese? that's all this thread is missing now.
  • nwman
    nwman Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm not so sure, it's not super easy to get off, will not 1 shot a target, so you can't take out the other teams top target.

If you can get it off or somehow get it off twice sure, but I think it's fair for a 4* in the current environment.

I've used IF purple over hers for example, 10 ap purple IF w black at 12 is very strong, yes you need the black I understand, but running jean and if, jean purple isn't always the choice is what I'm saying.

So let's give it more time before calling her over powered based on a boosted jean.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ....In my defense, I have a cold.

(also you sacrifice both of SW's actives in that case, but yeah. I R dum)
  • Polares wrote:

I still have not faced her maxed but I have to say that she should be more powerful than KK, this is why she is a 4! And yeah, purple is really good, but it is her very good ability. Green is not bad, but it is not great, and blue is good but very situational, so I think purple should be really good...

And AoE are not as devastating as they used to be after the big gain in hitpoints. 4000 to all hurts bad, but you can recover from it (it hurts more your health packs than your chances of winning).
    And that is good for defense. To me, I'll skip a BP fight over a Cyc fight simply because - while no RotP doesn't kill, it is health pack bait...for up to 3 people. Cyc I might have to do one person who actually dies, but its only one pack.
    - Unreall
  • Polares
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Again, fine with her dmg, not okay with her health. Here's the issue.

4*'s have roughly a 61% advantage in health, dmg etc.

Jean Grey when dropped to 3* status would look like this (assuming all skills are max 5)

health 8000-8670
    Mind over Matter--2375 AoE 10 AP
    Psychic--1272 AoE
    Full of --2068 AoE 12 AP

When you look at it on the surface even I can say that doesn't look bad, she's a jacked up Scarlet Witch, but what I don't want and I am greatly fearing after seeing this 4*'s, is Power Creep Jean has now pushed the level of that with her purple, just be careful what you guys keep wishing for. But the quickest way to make this game **** is to have every new character out do the next.

Well, with that I agree, she should have the same life than ProfX. But D3 want us to get excited with the new 4s so at least 1 every 2 new 4s should be really good.

And the power creep I think It started some 4s ago. IMHB? I think it is best If I just not speak about him. Carnage is quite self-destructive, but has one of the best reds. Then The Thing is a good 4 but not spectacular, very useful in some scenarios. Then Ant man which is really good. Jean Grey is probably a little bit better, and a little bit more all around than Ant man. Deadpool and Captain Falcon have some very powerful abilitites but maybe they are slightly worse than Antman, so probably the next 4 after them will be very good.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm going to go on record here and say if icon_jeangrey.pngpurpleflag.png gets nerfed (which it should), you, Phaserhawk have to start using your powers for greater goods like things addressed in this thread https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31819
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    With all due respect, I don't think Jean Grey pink is very OP. I'm currently involved in a one-man war with Crewsaders in Fresh Cuts event, and I managed to defeat Shamsali's max jean grey/hb defense. What did I use? Cage and IF, with IF less than max level and both characters unbuffed.

I should note that I also defeated a 180 505 Jean Grey in the last pvp. Out of 3 times I went up against a Jean Grey team, I've lost once (due to AI cascade for pink/gr). So from my perspective, JP is not OP. She IS beatable, even when buffed to 300+. The reason is her active powers cost a LOT to trigger; as long as you can avoid 5-matching and your team can do relatively fast damage (via passive attack tiles per turn) you CAN beat her.