The Gauntlet - May 28 - June 4

Options

Comments

• Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    lv395 Fist/HB/Hood? And don't say "whales". Three tries, haven't even killed Hood yet, much less the other two.

They were at lvl 296 for me.
    I used Cap (unboosted lvl 137 3/5/5) Mystique (unboosted lvl 137 3/5/5) and Loki (lvl 120 5/3/5)

Mystique went down to Overdrive--> Repulsor Punch in the early rounds.
    They made a few match 4s and i got Loki's Mischief and Illusions going early and i managed to start throwing multiple Red and Blue shields around. Also used Trickery to convert their Strike tiles to Protect tiles which helped minimise damage. Even had enough yellow for Cap. Ended with 1000 health on both Cap and Loki.

I took out Hood, IF followed by HB. I hate that attack tile. Tried to grab purple for Loki asap to try and accelerate AP gain.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Why would you not run at least iso 8 boosts unless you're just the luckiest guy around? These things are hard enough even with them.

I've got how many days left to bash my head against this wall...I'm not in some hurry here. It's not like that Hulkbuster is going anywhere.

The challenge of taking down the whole Gauntlet on my own terms is the reason I don't use boosts. I finished the last Gauntlet without Boosts or Whales. I'll finish this one too.

Though I'm not too proud to use either or both should I get down to the last 24 hours with no hope left otherwise.
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Trying to get a sense of scaling...

My first couple global Diminatuon nodes are level 171 for the spies and 178 for Scarlet Witch and company (which I haven't tried yet). What range should I be expecting for the last few nodes?

Also, I've got about 50-55k ISO stockpiled right now. (Getting Patch from 140 to 166 took more than I thought.) From my roster, who (if anybody) should I sink some of it into? I'm in vamanos pest if it helps folks find me.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Sim35 (DP/Loki/Hood)
    Went in with Wolverine/BabyDake/PX (020) (lvl94 roster, don't hate me) node is at lvl205

Idea was Strike tiles, Regen and PX invisible and buffing.
    Well it kinda worked. PX can only match Blue at the start, but not to worry DP pretty much decimated Wolv/Dak, so it's just the Prof last man standing.

Fortunately there were enough strike tiles out to work with. Spent the match prioritising Purple/Black. Took a bit of time to get going but by the end the two strike tiles left were buffed to 900/600 with enough purpletile.png AP to stay invisible for a long time.

Usually running with mMag/cStorm/Loki or Hood.
    I like Guantlet as it's not the grind fest that is traditional PvE, yes there is luck and what not involved but you don't need to worry about leaderboards, planning when you need to make a clear and the grind at the end.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jffdougan wrote:
    Trying to get a sense of scaling...

My first couple global Diminatuon nodes are level 171 for the spies and 178 for Scarlet Witch and company (which I haven't tried yet). What range should I be expecting for the last few nodes?

Also, I've got about 50-55k ISO stockpiled right now. (Getting Patch from 140 to 166 took more than I thought.) From my roster, who (if anybody) should I sink some of it into? I'm in vamanos pest if it helps folks find me.

Those spies were at 190 for me on the first attempt. Sim 42 was around 320, and essential 18 (the hardest node ever imo) was at around 300.

So you can expect to see things slightly lower than that. Good luck!

I will take a look at your roster and see if there is any more advice I can offer. Update: you won't regret bringing lazy Thor to 153, and level cage as soon as you get the covers. otherwise, I didn't see anything that will make a big difference in your roster in the short term
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm fairly well into my 3* transition, but deadpool purple had eluded me until recently. So the question I have is does level of dead pool and how many purple covers he has matter for super whales? I have 154k dead pool points, but not a clue what that actually means. Amy help is appreciated.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    I enjoy the challenge, and don't think a favorable board to start makes much of a difference as you may think. Even with my boosted to 240 L.Cap chucking shield throws for nearly 6k, it's still taking 3-4 to take down a single target.
    Right, and in the turns it'd take to get the red AP in the first place and toss it 4 times, a lv395 Fist has already killed your team. And your hulk trick isn't going to work on this one, because there's too much health on the other side to chew through.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I'd be done by now if mine were lv296. The tools that got you a win with 1k health remaining, aren't going to work when those same enemies are lv395.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    I've got how many days left to bash my head against this wall...I'm not in some hurry here
    At least you concede that Gauntlet is like bashing your head against a wall... for me, when my head's getting caved in, I actually am in a hurry for it to stop.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The enemies from Sim 35 and up are extremely nasty for anyone with high scaling. We got The Hood/Loki/Deadpool, Ares, Juggernaut, Iron Fist (twice), Daken/Falcon (they're deadly when on the same node), and Blade. This is also counting something like a level 395 IMHB as 'fair' (well, he's fair compared to a 395 Iron Fist). If it's just someone like a level 395 Nick Fury maybe you can at least try to fight it out, but there's no point to even try anything that isn't degenerate when your enemies feature some of the most broken characters possible at 395. I think I literally got 10 Master Plans in the same turn on turn 3 against Iron Fist and without it I probably wouldn't have come close to winning at all, and it doesn't feel like an accomplishment because there's nothing skilled about just getting an awesome board that lets me loop Master Plan 10 times with Polarity Shift, and of course the overwhelmingly likely outcome is a crushing defeat in the hands of Iron Fist. I'm sure on an average game the Iron Fist team can do nothing besides Iron Fist's passive plus move the board (doesn't even have to do damage) and they'd still be heavily favored to win the game against anything I can throw at them.

The above list of characters, plus OBW (Espionage) and maybe Psylocke (because her cheap weak moves are suddenly borderilne instant kill at 395) shouldn't ever show up as 395. There's just nothing fun about taking 1000 damage from an attack tile ever turn, or 1000 damage from a match 3 after Falcon upgraded a Phermone Rage, or a 2 match move that can almost KO you at full health. Now someone like IMHB at 395 isn't exactly fair either, but at least you can try to do something to slow him down and since his moves takes so long to get ready, it is possible to have someone take a Repulsor Punch for the team and still win because his big moves are very infrequent.
  • Unknown
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    I've got how many days left to bash my head against this wall...I'm not in some hurry here
    At least you concede that Gauntlet is like bashing your head against a wall... for me, when my head's getting caved in, I actually am in a hurry for it to stop.

I don't find the Gauntlet painful but this iteration of it is certainly something I want out of the way as soon as possible.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    grunth13 wrote:
    I'm fairly well into my 3* transition, but deadpool purple had eluded me until recently. So the question I have is does level of dead pool and how many purple covers he has matter for super whales? I have 154k dead pool points, but not a clue what that actually means. Amy help is appreciated.

Super whales isn't cover dependent, just dependent on DP points. A one cover whales will work just as well as five covers, if you're spending 28000DP points. You have enough for five superwhales saved up there.

It's also independent of Deadpool's level. A level 40 DP will wipe an enemy team as effectively as a 166 DP with superwhales. Obviously, you're better off levelling him a bit, so he's not just paper, though.
  • Unknown
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    grunth13 wrote:

Super whales isn't cover dependent, just dependent on DP points. A one cover whales will work just as well as five covers, if you're spending 28000DP points. You have enough for five superwhales saved up there.

It's also independent of Deadpool's level. A level 40 DP will wipe an enemy team as effectively as a 166 DP with superwhales. Obviously, you're better off levelling him a bit, so he's not just paper, though.

Any Whales TU can instant KO anything too provided you have the DP points to spend.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I appreciate the replies...I was about to go buy some covers for his purple if super whales was dependent on covers and levels since this is the first time I may reasonably finish the gauntlet.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Oldboy wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I'd be done by now if mine were lv296. The tools that got you a win with 1k health remaining, aren't going to work when those same enemies are lv395.

True. But no harm trying right? Since you can't think of a team for the node, the only alternative is to sit and do nothing or try for Deadpool Whales again.

Edit:or you could try that team and equip a Deadpool whales TU
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Full clear without using boosts and only Whaled the Ultron node. On my sandbox I cleared the Ultron node with IF/Hulkbuster with +all boosts but it was close, can't figure out any other team who remotely stands a chance.

No node was that difficult but that Ultron node is infuriating. Invisible Woman is completely useless so you're expected to beat him 2v3 and can randomly die to an Illusion dropping the bomb to the bottom row. Maybe its doable with some Elektra tomfoolery but the fact that the rows keep getting dropped each turn makes anyone who's CD dependent useless. They should have at least made it the final node of the normal track so you can pick 3 heroes of your choice.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    The above list of characters, plus OBW (Espionage) and maybe Psylocke (because her cheap weak moves are suddenly borderilne instant kill at 395) shouldn't ever show up as 395. There's just nothing fun about taking 1000 damage from an attack tile ever turn, or 1000 damage from a match 3 after Falcon upgraded a Phermone Rage, or a 2 match move that can almost KO you at full health. Now someone like IMHB at 395 isn't exactly fair either, but at least you can try to do something to slow him down and since his moves takes so long to get ready, it is possible to have someone take a Repulsor Punch for the team and still win because his big moves are very infrequent.

I was stumped when I came up against Xforce-IF-BP (mine was at 395). I consulted friends on LINE, and they suggested a few team composition. One guy suggested stormneto,another suggested bringing in hulk and lthor. I tried hulk and lthor and a cascade wiped me out. I then tried out CM-Lcap-Cyclops... And it worked! I manage to shield bash and full blasts my way out. Even though CM died, I felt a sense of achievement after clearing the stage.

My point is that while the gauntlet is difficult, it is not entirely a matter of good luck... Team composition also plays a part.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I did that node (Fist, HB, Hood) with Mystique/Captain America/Captain Marvel.

The idea is to take any match that will get Captain Marvel in front, which is unfortunatelt only Red and Green. The Attack tile will trigger an Energy Absorption every turn she's in front, and you should be able to generate 30 and more red AP to use on Steve's Red. Use CapMarv's Black to buy you two turns on an opponent who has enough AP to use an ability, or to down anyone with less than 2500. Or, if you had to make a lot of purple matches, keep in mind that Mystique's Purple into Black also deals solid damage (probably over 10k if she's maxed). If you happen to get enough Blue (I didn't), you may consider using Cap's blue, but be careful not to lower the damage from the attack tile under Energy Absorption's threshold (some math may be necessary). Don't use Mystique's Blue; it removes green and red, which are your best friends.

My opponents were only at 345, so this may or may not work when they are 395.

I took Hood down first, then Fist and finally Hulkbuster.
  • Ram51
    Ram51 Posts: 117
    Options
    I have only 3 Super Whales available. Can you guys suggest what nodes I should definitely reserve them for?

I'm currently at the ares/mystique/juggs node, haven't done any of the essentials yet. I'm tempted to use the whales on these last three nodes but I'm worried there's an impossible node waiting for me in the essentials. My IW is one cover too.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    I did that node (Fist, HB, Hood) with Mystique/Captain America/Captain Marvel.

The idea is to take any match that will get Captain Marvel in front, which is unfortunatelt only Red and Green. The Attack tile will trigger an Energy Absorption every turn she's in front, and you should be able to generate 30 and more red AP to use on Steve's Red. Use CapMarv's Black to buy you two turns on an opponent who has enough AP to use an ability, or to down anyone with less than 2500. Or, if you had to make a lot of purple matches, keep in mind that Mystique's Purple into Black also deals solid damage (probably over 10k if she's maxed). If you happen to get enough Blue (I didn't), you may consider using Cap's blue, but be careful not to lower the damage from the attack tile under Energy Absorption's threshold (some math may be necessary). Don't use Mystique's Blue; it removes green and red, which are your best friends.

My opponents were only at 345, so this may or may not work when they are 395.

I took Hood down first, then Fist and finally Hulkbuster.

That is a really great idea. I guess I spent so long with neither hulk nor cap. marvel covered that now that I do have the covers, I never stop to think about the fun things you can do with those passives. And they really do seem custom built to face to an overleveled iron fist.