Your WORST MPQ moment of the day (REALITY thread)

Options

Comments

• argle_bargle
    argle_bargle Posts: 88 Match Maker
    Options
    Lined up for T10 of Lost in Time. On the final round of clears, I flew a little too close to the sun. 3rd match on 5* node gave a bad board and things slowed down just enough. Missed the end of the event by 20 seconds or so. Finished T20.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,112 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Good news - I get 11 purple to cast Eye of Agamotto.
    Bade news - Next turn, Thor's board shake makes it look like this.

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thought I’d challenge myself by playing SCL7 in this Simulator event. Then I saw Bishop on one node, Worhty/Hawkeye on the 5* & 2* Storm on another.
    Ouch.
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Simulator... Yeach...
  • qandols
    Options
    I *refuse* to play against that ****-cap 5e node. It's an affront.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2020
    Options
    qandols said:
    I *refuse* to play against that ****-cap 5e node. It's an affront.

I used Karnak on Bishop. And few Health Pscks. And use Boosted Strange 3* on Hawkeye node. Nasty nodes and I hate them but luckily got through them with, unlucky, a lot of cursing and swearing. Also I wanted to go against meta and wanted to not use Karnak or Strange or anything other that I use too often. I just Couldnt. I match from Havok and it triggers Worthy.
  • qandols
    Options
    Does Strang3 really survive that 5e node? I should try. I do it with Kitty and BRB and keep my eyes closed when that stupid-cap bounces around. All are down to one third health when it is done so that is ok I guess. Some times Rane manages an invisibility tile where I can't reach it and I have to rely on team damage. Horror nodes really.
  • Mr_F
    edited May 2020
    Options
    qandols said:
    Does Strang3 really survive that 5e node? I should try. I do it with Kitty and BRB and keep my eyes closed when that stupid-cap bounces around. All are down to one third health when it is done so that is ok I guess. Some times Rane manages an invisibility tile where I can't reach it and I have to rely on team damage. Horror nodes really.

It did for me. With no Health packs used, boosted 218lv to 310, SCL7.
  • qandols
    Options
    Well I'm in SCL 9 with strange level 274 Bishop level 294. I made one blue move and 12 seconds later they were both dead, LOL.
  • Mr_F
    Options
    qandols said:
    Well I'm in SCL 9 with strange level 274 Bishop level 294. I made one blue move and 12 seconds later they were both dead, LOL.

Take Havok (required) and Strange. 3rd person is just for tanking so Strange can survive long enough to activate passive. Anything with huge health or protect tiles generation like Thing, Juggs4, BRB, even Devil Dino can do. CapM4rvel for the AP generation can work too. That 3rd character has to just survive until Strange kills Worthy and then Havok can do the heavy hitting. Kill Wolsfbane second as she generates Invisibility tiles.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was actually going to lose TBE today. I took in some baby 4* champs as I've been doing lately, then realized it was two Mindless Ones who end up feeding green to Thor (since I took out the Ultron Sentry first). Call the Storm once. Call the Storm twice. Board won't give me spit and my team's loaded with cheap powers I can fire. Only need 6, 7 AP. Can't get em. Eye Beam attack about to resolve. Still can't get spit. 

Retreated and blew them away with Okoye instead.

Stupid, just stupid. 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This entire Simulator event.
  • qandols
    Options
    krakenoon said:
    This entire Simulator event.
    And the new Shield Training. Hated that.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    OJSP said:
    I got hit by cascades when fighting different ProfX teams in SHIELD Sim. In one of the matches, he managed to get a match 4, a match 5, a match 4 and another match 5 from the cascade. All in one turn. I lost 4 matches in a row. Then a hit notification came out from Trial by Combat. Not a coincidence.
    Sure it is. This is the weirdest theory I've ever heard. How would they even program or code for this sort of thing?

Pretty sure if you hadn't been playing Sim at all, the hit from Trial by Combat would have come through just the same.

I've had cascades like that when I haven't been active in any PvP events concurrently. So why would I get cascades like that if I'm not getting hit elsewhere in the game? 

What if you had been shielded in Trial by Combat and weren't actually hit for a loss of points? Can the game somehow tell the difference between a hit and a bounce and adjust its cascades elsewhere accordingly? What if it had been a wipe and you had gained points instead of losing them? Would the game give the crazy cascades to you instead? 

I know cascades (especially PX cascades) are maddeningly frustrating, but I don't think there's any grand conspiracy beyond that.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Options
    OJSP said:
    DarthDeVo said:
    Sure it is. This is the weirdest theory I've ever heard. How would they even program or code for this sort of thing?

Pretty sure if you hadn't been playing Sim at all, the hit from Trial by Combat would have come through just the same.

I've had cascades like that when I haven't been active in any PvP events concurrently. So why would I get cascades like that if I'm not getting hit elsewhere in the game? 

What if you had been shielded in Trial by Combat and weren't actually hit for a loss of points? Can the game somehow tell the difference between a hit and a bounce and adjust its cascades elsewhere accordingly? What if it had been a wipe and you had gained points instead of losing them? Would the game give the crazy cascades to you instead? 

I know cascades (especially PX cascades) are maddeningly frustrating, but I don't think there's any grand conspiracy beyond that.
    I've been waiting for someone who coordinates in Line to say something. Just try it, if you don't believe me. Start a match, then ask someone else to hit you and beat you before you finish your match. You'll see you'll get a bad cascade in the match, at least one. Usually in a colour that is useless to the opponent. Or, all of a sudden the board becomes dry of useful matches and start giving the opponents matches that fuel their powers.

Like I've mentioned in the previous post, being shielded doesn't matter. We'll still get by a cascade or the board becomes bad. I've been suffering from this behaviour on my PvE clears for a very long time.

Sometimes, we get hit by cascades when we miss what the AI deems as the best match. For example, missing a match-4 or a match-5 or a colour that we can't use because we're denying the AI the colour they could use.

It's like when we fight against 4* Jean Grey and the board will give us more chance of a match-5 and drops random match-5s from cascades. Or, when opponent's 4* ProfX get's horizontal match-5s by making vertical match-5s. With 5* ProfX, when we have to deny a match-4, he would miraculously get match-4s from simple match-3s. We know that tile drops are programmed to drop at certain percentages. I believe that percentage gets altered when using certain characters and based on my long term observation, when we get hit.

Some people say it's confirmation bias, but after playing for so long and observing these behaviours, I am fairly convinced they are not coincidences. I could do a statistical analysis on them, but I don't have time and the means for that.

The difference might be small, but they are noticeable, because I know I could beat strong teams with the team I've been using with very little problem. But, all of a sudden, the team loses. Then the hit notifications come. I think they're related. Or, the game records my win-loss percentage and decided that it was time for me to lose. That's also possible.

Like now, when I was playing Havok's essential node. All of a sudden the AI got a lot of blues for Nick Fury's Demolition. Then the AI matched some tiles, then my cascades from Thor's board shake matched the rest of the tiles. So, I retreated. Then the hits come. It is more noticable in long matches.
    There are plenty of people who don't play PvP, or play minimal PvP. Yet ask them about death cascades and I'm sure they'll be able to regale you of horror stories as well. 

I also had some terrible cascades and boards with colors convenient for the AI during my PvE grind/clear last night, but didn't start PvP until earlier this afternoon. So what accounted for that bad luck? 

If anything, I'd but a theory that when the AI has Professor X on its team, the cascade percentage increases. 

But for there to be some sort of magical connection between being hit in one event and the boards magically becoming bad in a completely unrelated event? I don't even see how that's possible. If that were the case, PvE only players would never experience these things. Yet they definitely do. 

EDIT: Just lost a PvP match I should have easily won due to terrible cascades for the AI. It's been a good 10 minutes, no hits at all yet. 
  • hilsen2
    hilsen2 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I dont believe in hidden AI that tries to piss us off, but...

Has anybody noticed that when you get a big cascade on the 2nd Deadpool Wave node and kill the first two characters, the toon that appears is not the 2nd character, but the 3rd character.

After killing character #1, before the cascade, how did the game know the 2nd character was going to die and automatically skip to the 3rd?

This makes me think the game knows a cascade is coming before it shows on screen.  Maybe it is calculated behind the scenes, and only displays later, but this could be a cause of this conspiracy theory.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Took me 32 pulls to get Yelena. I was thinking of pulling her together with Apocalypse today. Now I'm down to zero pull.  :'(
  • Mr_F
    edited June 2020
    Options
    When I needed my Venom to be strong at DDP he was utterly so weak that I did not beat that node. I could burn like every Healpth Pack as it was doable, but choosed not to. Yes, he was 2/0/2 but still I twice almost did that. In a week after that I got to covers, he is 2/2/2 and now he is wrecking me in SCL 8.  Unbelievable.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Havok rolled out of Latest unchamped, the first 5* to do so for me in a very long time (think Rescue, then before that Archangel). Sure I only need another 35 shards to finish him, but it just feels like a sign of things to come. 
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I had stockpiled some mighty tokens and felt like opening them. About 70 pulls, only 4 4* characters.

And here I was thinking the odds were 15% for 4*s from mighties, not 5%.