Update on Ultron server issues

14567810»

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, finally able to make some progress. Quite a fun event, all told. They did a good job of making the sentries feel relentless.

• UPDATE (9:50p): We've brought more servers online to help cope with the load, but we're still experiencing very large amounts of traffic. This is probably the last update for the evening but we will be monitoring the servers and trying to ease things over. You're likely to continue running into timeouts periodically. Sorry about the rocky start today.

Just reading this now...

Couldn't they anticipate heavy traffic and bring more servers online so that things went smoothly ?

Pre-registration to the event, a few hours ahead, would have given some trends on the traffic to come.

It's a pity really.
  • MarvelDestiny
    MarvelDestiny Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    I'm still having problems. Connection issues are preventing me from playing well or placing well. It's so bad that my tablet is spending more time trying to find the connection then actually connected to the servers. On the plus side, the little I am able to play is awesome. Would love to play AvU more and I've only been able to complete 2 nodes in Oscorp.

Hopefully this will get fixed in the morning. (Yes, I mean Sat morning!) icon_rolleyes.gif
  • 24 hrs and I still can't play
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,386 Chairperson of the Boards
    still some issues
  • 1. game down before and after my end time slice(identity theft), also
    2. could'nt play first 3 round of ultron event

oh well, just my lucky day i guess
  • Are we to expect the servers to go down at the beginning and end of every event. I couldn't log in for the first or last day of ultron.
  • arktos1971 wrote:

UPDATE (9:50p): We've brought more servers online to help cope with the load, but we're still experiencing very large amounts of traffic. This is probably the last update for the evening but we will be monitoring the servers and trying to ease things over. You're likely to continue running into timeouts periodically. Sorry about the rocky start today.

Just reading this now...

Couldn't they anticipate heavy traffic and bring more servers online so that things went smoothly ?

Pre-registration to the event, a few hours ahead, would have given some trends on the traffic to come.

It's a pity really.

A MMORPG's login server is not designed to handle even 1/10th of the population trying to log on once which is why every MMORPG cannot handle an event where more than 1/10 of the player are trying to play at once (like say a new expansion). Since computers are apparently very expensive even when you make a billion dollars a year from WoW like Blizzard and nobody in the history of gaming has ever quit from not being able to play the game, clearly saving the cost of these horribly expensive computers is a small risk comparing to people ragequit from not being able to play the game.

It's pretty hilarious that every time I see a server crash issue in any game, the company in question sure had no problem with vastly increasing the server capacity in a matter of days, but bring extra capacity before the event starts? Nobody would ever do that! Who cares if your highest profile event turns into a smouldering mess as long as you saved money on hardware?