Reporting Cheaters

Options
Unknown
Unknown GLOBAL_MODERATORS, ADMINISTRATORS
Hey All,

Just a repost of a note in the 'News and Announcements' section regarding cheaters:

By now, I am sure many of you have had the opportunity to make use of (and hopefully enjoy) the ability to look at the current rosters for your fellow community members in-game. In addition to being a feature we hope improves the overall experience for players, it can also be a tool in the ongoing war with cheaters.

If you spot someone on the leaderboards that you suspect may be cheating please feel free to contact us with your concerns. While your concerns can be submitted using the in-game reporting feature, please also make note of the following link, as it may give you a more direct line to our support group: www.d3go.com/mpq-support

We know it can be difficult to keep ahead of those that run outside of the law, so any help we can get from the community to weed these individuals out is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Finally. Best news I've heard from the devs, ever.
  • I'm willing to do your job and catch cheaters if you are willing to take a few things from my work sprint.
  • Good news
    I was going to write that seeing other people rooster is a way to find cheaters but ...
    this supposed to be done by devs by creating a database procedure which will find such possible cheaters and not by involving customers (other players, us) but ...
    better such tool then nothing

Devs be prepared for a tons of tickets ...
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    How will the devs enforce the finding of cheaters? Expulsion? Deletion of account?
  • Polkio wrote:
    Good news
    I was going to write that seeing other people rooster is a way to find cheaters but ...
    this supposed to be done by devs by creating a database procedure which will find such possible cheaters and not by involving customers (other players, us) but ...

Funny%20Picture%20from%20berro.jpg
  • Bugpop wrote:
    Polkio wrote:
    Good news

D'oh! Beat me to it!

****-a-doodle-doo!
  • I want to report cheaters, but I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at in the roster. I'm scared it's going to morph into "I'm going to report everyone better than me.

In my opinion its worse to accuse someone of cheating that is innocent than the act of cheating.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,315 Site Admin
    Options
    Polkio wrote:
    Good news

We can and do have database procedures that find cheaters on a regular basis. *However*, much like any other thing involving hacking, it's always a case of players finding new ways around things. So we're always updating our methods to find people as well. Even the biggest games in the industry are rife with cheats and hacks that get shut down, only for new ones to pop up. This isn't a plea to do our job for us. We'll keep it up and keep squishing 'em as we find 'em. But our team is only so large and we can only do so many things at once. So if people out there find some new exploit/cheat/hack that we wouldn't have found for another week? That's better for everyone playing.
  • IceIX
    Options
    Kiamodo wrote:
    How will the devs enforce the finding of cheaters? Expulsion? Deletion of account?
    Depends on what the player did. Generally though, yes, they're taken out of the player population. That's why you see 1003 players in a 1000 person bracket. 3 of those people are no longer in that bracket.
  • I want to report cheaters, but I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at in the roster. I'm scared it's going to morph into "I'm going to report everyone better than me.

In my opinion its worse to accuse someone of cheating that is innocent than the act of cheating.

In a pay to win game such as MPQ I'm not to sure cheating is innocent. Why should the person who spent $0 and minimal time win over the person who paid for the cost of an advantage?
  • IceIX
    Options
    I want to report cheaters, but I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at in the roster. I'm scared it's going to morph into "I'm going to report everyone better than me.

I wouldn't worry overly much about it. We've been getting reports from players through tickets since the game started. This is just formalizing something that players have already been doing. I would say that a vast majority of the time those tickets turn out to be nothing, with exactly what you're pointing out. But sometimes it results in us updating our detections too.
  • KLoganR wrote:
    I want to report cheaters, but I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at in the roster. I'm scared it's going to morph into "I'm going to report everyone better than me.

In a pay to win game such as MPQ I'm not to sure cheating is innocent. Why should the person who spent $0 and minimal time win over the person who paid for the cost of an advantage?

I never said the person who was cheating is innocent. I'm saying it's wrong to accuse an innocent person of cheating.
  • KLoganR wrote:

I never said the person who was cheating is innocent. I'm saying it's wrong to accuse an innocent person of cheating.

My apologize. I am a blind buffoon.
  • So what kind of behaviors connotate cheating? I'm not sure how seeing another roster helps me with this.
    KLoganR wrote:

I know it's probably been debated ad nauseam, but I don't see this as a pay to win game. I did put out a little bit to buy more slots, but I've never paid for anything other than that. If I were to start over, I'm sure I could get to where I'm at now without paying a bit, and I'm pretty competitive in tournaments and events.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Polkio wrote:
    Good news

We can and do have database procedures that find cheaters on a regular basis. *However*, much like any other thing involving hacking, it's always a case of players finding new ways around things. So we're always updating our methods to find people as well. Even the biggest games in the industry are rife with cheats and hacks that get shut down, only for new ones to pop up. This isn't a plea to do our job for us. We'll keep it up and keep squishing 'em as we find 'em. But our team is only so large and we can only do so many things at once. So if people out there find some new exploit/cheat/hack that we wouldn't have found for another week? That's better for everyone playing.

Thanks for answer. Please don't reward cheaters. The nice solution it would be to check lets say first 100 people from every event which won prizes and before send prizes just check if they are legit or not. If you do that
    1. Cheater won't win any prize even if he will be at top place and most important he would loose time so he wouldn't be doing it in future
    2. People who play legit and did not won top prizes could go up in ranking after cheater would be found and would be rewarded for legit play and not like today, they will loose with cheater and did not won higher prizes
  • Xerobull wrote:
    I know it's probably been debated ad nauseam, but I don't see this as a pay to win game.

Ok, call it not pay to not win. Better?

Can you win a pve bracket without shields? With current system? No. (Well, unless everyone in that bracket refuses shielding, fat chance.

Do you get more HP than you spend?

With recent price hike and removal second HP from reachable progression, not really.

So you're at HP loss for winning position. Not even counting the resources you need to get into viable competition.

A month ago the ecosystem was different, you could thrive and even prosper okay. Since all numbers changed such that you can't build up from scratch without buying. Just run a simulation.

Those who already have some decent stuff may stay afloat but for most it will be an uphill battle. And made so deliberately in the last few patches.

I hope most people realize that before inserting their first coins or at least after the first few and only those remain who actually enjoy this. For me the last week killed all the fun and I don't see any coming back.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I am not sure how players can assess that another player can be a cheater just by seeing their roster from the moment someone have mentioned here in the forum that rubber banding can sky rocket a new player to the top of the ranking (I am talking about my main in the pve event) and make him appear like a cheater. I will give you an example of a roster that is currently #2 in my main without mentioning a name and you tell me if I should report the name or not. Here we go

50 5/4/4 Storm Modern
    50 4/5/4 Iron Man
    37 2/2/3 Captain America
    29 2/2/2 Wolverine Astonishing
    20 1/1/1 Patch
    18 1/0/1 Magneto Classic
    08 1/1/0 Black Widow Original
    30 0/1/0 Wolverine X-Force
    30 1/0/0 Invisible Woman
    15 0/1/0 Ragnarok
    15 0/1 Loki

I see this roster and I wonder what I was doing wrong in my early days in the game. With Storm and 2* Wolvie I could never dream I could get 2nd place in a major event (which is also the most messed up with high level enemies and double cost boosts). Just to be clear I don't accuse the player of cheating. Only that with a roster like this, I doubt he has enough heroes to tank efficiently in order to drop the enemy levels or win against any enemy above 80-100 lv. He would have to play and tank 24/7. So I ask. What should I think when I see this?

If this is truly possible for a new player with a 11 spot roster (without key heroes like Patch and OBW in high level or maybe Spiderman), then either the game is the most noob friendly f2p game ever made, or there is something fishy going on here. If the first is true, then I don't see why someone would throw more than $10-20 in the game. If the second is true and the devs know there is a hacking problem, just reporting the cheaters won't solve anything until the problem is not located and fixed.
  • point totals are big indicator in my opinion, if he was 300pts, no. if he was 800, then yes. that many wins would up him into an mmr he shouldnt be able to handle
  • It would be nice if you implamented a button in game to report cheaters/hackers making it easier for cheaters to be caught, obviously this shouldn't be abused to report fair players and players who consistantly give false accusations should be suspended. This would help to quickly weed out cheaters quickly.
  • notreck wrote:
    point totals are big indicator in my opinion, if he was 300pts, no. if he was 800, then yes. that many wins would up him into an mmr he shouldnt be able to handle
    This is in my main (pve). I have 32173 missing only 1 rotation and finishing 1-3 in all submissions. He has 32641.
This discussion has been closed.