Best There Is - PvP tourney

Options

Comments

• If you can only afford to shield once, it should be a) when your ranking is as high as you think it will go, ideally at the top of or one above the desired reward tier (e.g. you're ranking 3rd and you want to be in the 6-15 tier), and b) the shield will last you through the end of the tournament.

I can't think of another single-use scenario that wouldn't just be a waste of hero points.
    Run out of health packs and have a critical character downed so can't carry on at, say, 4 hours, so shield for 3 to recover them and defend rating the old-fashioned way for the last 1. Bit of an edge case, since you'd probably rather just do an overkill 8hr shield if the rating's worth securing, but you might do this if you're sticking to a 100HP budget.
  • Il Palazzooooooo!

Broke my shield for a quick push before reshielding until the end since I won't be able to play anymore tonight. Finish my match and go to reshield and I got hit with the loss as I'm pushing the shield button. Went from 4th to 2nd to 4th.
    Well, I guess that's my karma for attacking a forum goer.
  • When is the best time to use a shield in events like this guys? say i could only use a shield for an hour? is it better to use it now or wait until there is 2 hours left so i dont plummet down the rankings?

Pretty much what's said above, if you only use one shield then use it when its enough to last you to the end of the tournament, as the last hour or so can get pretty crazy. Most people seem to do this too, so there's always a flurry of activity at around the 8hour mark and the 3hour mark as well.
  • seriously damn screw up this pvp... been attacked by same person for 5 times consecutive even i did not retaliate... a guy name vector magley happen to be rotating matching with me and keep cause me lose more than 200 point when i trying to reach 700 pts... icon_cry.gificon_mad.gif
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Since everyone is going to place shields at the 8/3 hour mark due to shield timing, the best time to put a shield up is ~2 hours before that, so at 10 hours / 5 hours. The problem is that you're going to have to spend extra HP to be guaranteed safety, but you wont have to deal with as many retaliations this way.
  • Since everyone is going to place shields at the 8/3 hour mark due to shield timing, the best time to put a shield up is ~2 hours before that, so at 10 hours / 5 hours. The problem is that you're going to have to spend extra HP to be guaranteed safety, but you wont have to deal with as many retaliations this way.

guess i got no choice den.. i take up your advice
  • Are scores even worse in this than usual lately or does match-making just hate me for the moment? Teetering on the brink of single-digit matches and I'm not even at 500 yet. Some 500-700 in top 10 of my bracket, but obviously half of those are shielded.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Are scores even worse in this than usual lately or does match-making just hate me for the moment? Teetering on the brink of single-digit matches and I'm not even at 500 yet. Some 500-700 in top 10 of my bracket, but obviously half of those are shielded.

Everyone in the top 10 is shielded in my bracket. Maybe people are playing extra safe for Spiderman?
  • A aargh - I have Phantron in my bracket!
  • allorin wrote:
    A aargh - I have Phantron in my bracket!

I got you queued up in case of emergency.
  • Phantron wrote:

Everyone in the top 10 is shielded in my bracket. Maybe people are playing extra safe for Spiderman?

Same in my bracket, all of top 10 shielded. Seems earlier than before.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Didn't mean still to be playing this late myself, to be honest. Just kept having too much fun prancing around with lv25 Loki in tow to stop and haven't gotten around to playing sensibly. Past time I was asleep and it's likely to be pretty active 'til close now, so I might just let this one slide. Could use a Thor or two, anyhow.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Are scores even worse in this than usual lately or does match-making just hate me for the moment? Teetering on the brink of single-digit matches and I'm not even at 500 yet. Some 500-700 in top 10 of my bracket, but obviously half of those are shielded.

634 is leading my bracket, and he looks safe.

Personally I shielded last night at 600 points. I figured I'd probably stay in the top 5 and I certainly wouldn't go below 15. On the other hand, if I were trying to make a push I'd probably end up losing more points than I gained, so I played it safe. Seems like the right call, because 3 people who were 50 points behind me and making a push half an hour ago have dropped off the face of the earth.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    Options
    I am sitting at 607 and have a shield until 9:30....I am in 5th atm which is perfectly fine, I may break my shield around 9 and try to win a match or two just to secure my standing. Or I'll get decimated in that time and lose out on the top 5 I am going for.

decisions decisions...
  • Feh. Staggered to 530 and shielded. Buffed Patch makes dead things super fast, I'll give him that. Might barely scrape top 15, and if not it can be a lesson to me in why you don't blow HP when it isn't a sure thing.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just sitting now waiting... wondering if Evilsongoku is going to make the push at the end and try to take the IW. It is so weird that I enjoy watching the rankings so much at the end of the tournament, its the most fun of the tournament now for me icon_razz.gif
  • Trying to stay around 200ish to get the 3 tokens, but I keep getting attacked and WINNING and keep moving up LoL Never thought I would have that problem.
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    And.... Shields up. Wow, grinding away was hard. Felt like for every fight I chose, someone would choose me. Ground to 552, current 5th, hoping to hold for top 15. Phantron not in top ten, so he'll no doubt come sneaking up, with others on his tail...
  • Sitting at around #25 unshielded. Hopefully can save 100 HP and still finish top 45.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Sitting at around #25 unshielded. Hopefully can save 100 HP and still finish top 45.

Good luck! I need Spidey covers more than you do... icon_e_wink.gif