Coming Soon: Character Updates!

Options

Comments

• Wow you really suck, pure tinykitty
    X Force became a 2*
    And looking at Elektra and Beast, why do you bother? The changes were minimal
    Its also funny how each nerf practically begs for a whole respect of our characters
    This game just lost the compass, time to move on to better ones
  • taloncarde wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    taloncarde wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Overall thought:

XF: Doesn't look that bad, except green dmg, but it was unwise descision to release this era of PVP-MMR and related adjustments/tests are going. Also, worst possible time based on morale.

Speaking specifically to the damage of green, I don't have X-Force at max level, and I was averaging around 4k-5K damage with his green power alone when you take into account tile destruction/cascades. So while going from 3k base to 1k base seems drastic, the reality is he is doing far more than that on average.

(For the record, my green base damage is only 2702 at lvl 140)

And you are ready for that base damage to be only 702? Seriously?

It's too far, especially now that it can't be fed with Surgical Strike. It's barely better than Ares' green, let alone being 160% better than Patch's green which is what he's supposed to be.

Have they clarified if surgical strike can't feed it? Remember usually when it says a tile is destroyed, it generates AP. Green says it specifically doesn't generate AP, but black doesn't say that at all. Old power it was an addition at higher levels, but maybe now black generates AP at all levels.

Surgical Strike - Cost: 11 Black AP - NEW
    Wolverine attacks with ruthless precision, crippling his enemy’s ability to retaliate. Destroys every tile in the enemy team’s strongest color, dealing 55 damage per tile. Does not generate AP.

So.. Yes. Unless it changes at 5 to generate AP for tiles destroyed like it did before (which I don't see happening).

There isn't anything exactly like X-Force (the power) at the 3* tier (since D3 apparently thinks all powers have to be unique snowflakes instead of what they are, fluff varients on "punch guy in face") but the closest we have is Grocket's greenflag.png (or Hulk's).

XF 5 covers max level: 1360 damage, 15 tiles destroyed for ~42 damage a tile average = 1990 damage for 8 AP. ~250 damage per AP.

Grocket 5 covers max level: 8 tiles plus 5 tiles destroyed for 185 per tile = 2409 damage for 10 AP, ~249 damage per AP. And that's at it's lowest efficiency, it gets better with more green.

Now you tell me, how is XF 160% better than Grocket? (Who btw has almost his exact health and healing ability as well.)

Also: Ares 5 covers max level for 8 green does 1840 damage. XF is now a glorified Ares. Boo to this.
  • The OP has been updated that Surgical Strike does NOT generate AP (it did not specify before)
  • Pentagoon wrote:
    I've never seen this community forum response actually lead to a change in design of the game once upcoming changes are announced. They're an Agile development house - they've already built, tested, and are readying for production roll-out of the code by the time we see this info. Let's assume they're on 2 week sprints, it would take at minimum that long to get another build with changes into the pipeline, even in an emergency situation. Most of us should just save our breath and adjust or quit. This is going to happen - deal with it.

I'm a day 500+ player and I've been through this before - end of the damn world.... whatever.... I'm not spending another dime on the game, for sure - this stuff happens way too often to make actual $ investments anymore. One guy in our alliance has spent upwards of $5000 since last fall on the game - he's not a happy camper either. The time investment of building ISO and spending on a character is what hurts the most, especially for players in the 4* transition phase when something like this comes about. When it takes 2+ months to level a 4* to a competitive state, the pain is real and pushes people away. But is this about your "feelings"? Hah.... nope...

RANT: My biggest beef is the whole nerf mentality vs. upping the arms race. XForce in this particular example is not that hard to take down, but you NEED another XForce to do so (or pre-nerf 4hor). If a toon is OP, create a toon that specifically combats it - like give a buff of +50% damage against XForce to another character - play out actual comic rivalries in some fashion and watch the ebb and flow of epic power struggles in the metagame unfold. Rather than forcing a lower, middle, common ground for all players, let those of us that actually invest in characters adapt to the landscape with what we have in our rosters. PLEASE ADD more, stronger, diverse weapons across the board to combat those that have "risen to power". Imagine if instead of the XF nerf they gave a 2* or 3* toon the ability to quickly dispatch him as an "overpowered" 4* and man, that's gonna be fun to play long term.
    END RANT

Really, so you didn't see them change Professor X before he was released when everyone said how cool he would be with Devil Dino dealing damage with 3 purple AP? Or you didn't see them change Quicksilver mere MOMENTS before his covers went visibly live in the game? They could make numerical changes to these powers in hours, not weeks, if they wanted too. No change in design structure, just a variable change. Hell, it might even take minutes.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2015
    Options

The 'old' ability in the description of this thread has no wording for 'does not generate AP,' though we all know it does not before it says so. I'm assuming it's the same convention, where in game it says so, but not here for whatever reason.

I found a guy with a level 1 Surgical Strike and it indeed says 'does not generate AP'. You're probably used to seeing the level 5 version all the time. Mind you, I don't think the new version will generate AP, but this game has a very specific wording on AP generating abilities which is why I want a clarification first.

Edit: they must have edited the text. Sauce had the same question earlier. I'm positive it didn't say 'does not generate AP' originally but now it does.

This probably makes Surgical Strike unusable in PvE because of the high level shift leading to unpredictable strongest color. Currently it's strong enough you can actually whiff on the wrong color and it'll still be good enough. Now it'd be too much of a risk, though that's a game design issue (should be an indicator for the opponent's strongest color).
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Options
    Damn guys you really know how to poke the bear don't you? Lol you could have at least figured out the PvP thing before announcing a huge tinykitty to the vets you already screwed. Haha have fun guys should be a busy couple days of sorting through refund requests on that one.
  • Created an account on the forums to reply to this.

I think this is an extremely well thought out balance, across the board.

- Making IW on par for damage output as PThor, slightly less health. A+
    - IW Now being a real pain in the **** with her health is going to be a major threat. I see her actually moving into a huge play, given that green doesn't end the turn (Est. damage output is ~ 8k give or take dependant on overlap of force bubbles).

- XF only losing ~ 1500 on 8ap swipe? Not terrible. Still approximately 320 damage per AP, while IW/PThor run at about 410 damage per AP. The difference is IW/PThor have substantial buildup vs a very small cd.
    - SS removing the AP gain from cracking is going to be game changing and very balanced. Looking forwards to it.

- Health upgrades are seriously necessary. I'm surprised Hood isn't on this list. Out of all the 3stars, he has a pretty strong ability, but his extremely pitiful hp pool seems like it should at least meet the regenners HP pool to be on par.

- Don't think the changes to Doc Ock or Beast will make them terribly useful. Improved, but not to the point they'll be competitive.

In short - I'm sorry there's a lot of people who are whining and complaining. Extremely happy to hear these changes and appreciate all the hard work you're putting forth.
  • taloncarde wrote:
    The OP has been updated that Surgical Strike does NOT generate AP (it did not specify before)

See now that's just terrible. The damage increase is nice, but not enough to compensate for the AP loss or the drain loss. Maybe 1 but not both.

Lets say you got 9 AP and you use that 9 AP on a power that does 400 damage per AP, that's 4500 damage that needs to be compensated for, and they did not up SS' damage by 400 per tile destoryed, only 250. And that doesn't even budget in the AP destruction.

Personally I think they should leave the damage where it is and add back in the AP destruction in the enemies strongest color.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    I'm not sure why everyone doesn't understand how to use Elektra. No, purple doesn't create any strike tiles if there are none. That's why you run it back to back. And for 14 AP, you have 750 in strike tiles.
    Or I could just use deadpool and do 12k damage for those 14AP... decisions, decisions...
  • spydoorman
    Options
    The funniest part is how these always get done on friday, then everyone gets to rant and fume for a weekend while hoping that something changes.
  • dleezphone
    dleezphone Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Vets: We're leaving!!!
    Demiurge: Peace out! We have your time/money, and you've made our game huge.... we don't need you anymore

That's what i read from all the recent changes, no need to waste more breath **** about it.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    I'm not sure why everyone doesn't understand how to use Elektra. No, purple doesn't create any strike tiles if there are none. That's why you run it back to back. And for 14 AP, you have 750 in strike tiles.
    Or I could just use deadpool and do 12k damage for those 14AP... decisions, decisions...

Comparing individual abilities has a limit. And that limit is all of the other context. Like the fact that she has 5000 more health than Deadpool. Or an ability that blocks damage. Or that both her other abilities can tap those 750 in strike tiles incredibly often.

People say her red is easy to remove. That's why you wait until there are no red matches before casting it. And if the other player is using Blade or Daken to counter, that's what her purple is for (and it makes purple mega strong).

Actually, thanks for the conversation. I think I've talked myself into leveling her next.
  • bknfoodie
    bknfoodie Posts: 53
    Options
    spydoorman wrote:
    The funniest part is how these always get done on friday, then everyone gets to rant and fume for a weekend while hoping that something changes.

Keeping in line with the company's values. "This too shall pass"
  • Not really bothered, have had X-force levelled fully for a long time now, he's had a good run. He will still be useful, and time to find and explore new tactics.

Will be interested to see the new ISO costs to be honest.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    ***********,*****************,*******************,***************** about xforce being nerfed. I am mad, but as with the 4*Thor nerf I will carry on, as I am likely unable to compete in the PVP now that I see nothing but 270, 270, 290 characters.

Also, anyone else notice this in the list of boosts to health:
    Cyclops 3* - Old: 7,650 - New: 9,265

Why is it necessary to point out that cyclops is a 3*?
  • Because Cyclops 2* has been a thing in their offices for a while I bet.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Because Cyclops 2* has been a thing in their offices for a while I bet.

See the spoilers thread in the characters section
  • scottee wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    scottee wrote:

Comparing individual abilities has a limit. And that limit is all of the other context. Like the fact that she has 5000 more health than Deadpool. Or an ability that blocks damage. Or that both her other abilities can tap those 750 in strike tiles incredibly often.

People say her red is easy to remove. That's why you wait until there are no red matches before casting it. And if the other player is using Blade or Daken to counter, that's what her purple is for (and it makes purple mega strong).

Actually, thanks for the conversation. I think I've talked myself into leveling her next.

Her red is no easier or harder to remove than any similar strong one special tile ability unless you bring Blade or Daken who both have general matchup issues elsewhere. The new costs seems to recognize the fact that her ability should be at least as good as an ability that just created a single attack tile on red. The trap nature is only a bonus when playing against Captain America and Falcon, who can normally trivially remove any one special tile but won't be able to against Elektra. She'll probably quite respectable in a long game now even if her black/purple is still quite situational.
  • warcin
    warcin Posts: 118
    Options
    I am done. D# hates anyone who has played this game for any length of time and it is not worth the **** anymore
  • I don't have any 4 stars at a useable stage. My aim of course was to eventually progress to 4 stars.

After the recent spate of nerfs, I don't know if there's any point anymore. XF appears to be weaker than a 3 star now...why bother aspiring to get to 4 star land?

I'm in awe of D3's release schedule of late. They're rolling out characters constantly - the question is are they balanced to start off with it? I'd really like to know how D3 decide a character is production ready? At the rate they're releasing them, it doesn't look like they're giving any character due consideration cos if they've made a mistake, then take the nerf bat to them.