Coming Soon: Character Updates!

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown ADMINISTRATORS
    Options
    TazFTW wrote:
    Teke184 wrote:
    This doesn't even go into the level changes in ISO costs, which damn well BETTER compensate those of us who have been working to put ISO into characters only to have the total cost sliced.

I'm reading that as the amount of iso to take a level 40 to 166 stays the same and that they're changing it so that the lower levels are cheaper and making the higher levels more expensive.

Problem is what happens to your level 100ish guys. Did the cost to raise them just increase?

No! They will cost the same or less. Again the numbers aren't final, so I can't share them right now, but we absolutely will not make any level up costs more expensive.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    IW: Interesting changes to say the least. No clue if she's viable now but I'm looking forward to testing the character. On paper she looks useful.
    I approve.

Elektra: Still useless save for an extremely niche counter to strike tiles. Her red is laughably weak for a 4* tier power even at 8AP. The damage increase won't even register with these new health pools and the trap tile never had any guarantee to stick around to begin with.
    Needs work.

XF: He's still a strong character especially when you consider his lasting power. XF continues to deal solid damage and act as the ultimate answer to any specialty tile generator in this game. I don't agree with the severity of green nerf in particular but XF is far from useless with these changes. Thank you for BUFFING his yellow. It's still his dump skill but you could conceivably make a case for 3 green and 5 yellow now.
    Not ideal but I can live with this.

Beast: He's got some actual potential now with that blue AP drop. Really need hands on with this character to properly assess though. I'm guessing he'll be 'meh' tier rather than worthless.
    I approve.

Doc Ock: His blue STILL costs 11 and STILL has a chance to do absolutely nothing. Fail. The skill has received a HUGE buff but it's still essentially worthless. His green is interesting but combined with the other skills he's still at the 'beast tier' of useless.
    Needs Work.

She-Hulk: Wow! She's been pushed to potential top tier now. Love the changes! Even if she doesn't make it to top tier she looks fun to play and will get regular use in PvE.
    Nailed it!

Now for the truly BIG change....

Health Buff
    I personally HATE this change. It could have worked if restricted to a small select group of weak characters like GSBW and Beast but as is it's just too wide spread.

Did anyone find this Hulk PvP to be a boring slog? That's a sampling of every future PvP.

I'm all for slowing down the pace of the game a bit. 45-90 second matches only served to showcase one sided kills without any enemy response. This takes things to the opposite end of the spectrum. Matches spanning seemingly 8-10 minutes drag out events for way too long.

Hulks PvP may have been more 'fair' than normal events but it was also far less fun in every sense of the word. This health change has a real chance of legitimately sucking the fun out of this game.

I hope I'm wrong...but if not I'm out. Not saying this as a threat to make changes just that there's a difference between a fun grind with tactical elements and tedious time sink.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I was creating a list of all the characters with better damage for green than X-Force, but the list got too long and I don't want to attract unwanted attention to them due to PNSD (Post Nerf Stress Disorder)...

Seriously, the list was long....and included at least 1 2 star.png .....and that's just based on damage.....yikes.....
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The X-Force nerf looks a lot worse on the surface than it actually is (I thought it was **** at first glance), but SS literally makes up the damage nerf to his green if there are 8 tiles on the board with the boost in damage it received. It may make 4/5/4 a more viable option of build, but it isn't quite as big of a nerf as it appeared on the surface.

*edit: Just noticed AP drain/gain is gone. I retract my previous statement, he got beat down with the nerf bat.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While I am happy you finally made some necessary character changes, this looks more negative overall.

Some of the health increases was needed but not 90% for of the characters! Happy to see Mohawk, GSBW, Human Torch and Falcon have health increases but did 4hor, Luke Cage, King Pin (Already!), Colossus and others really need it?! This is supposed to be a quick pick up game where if I have to run into the bathroom to play quickly because my wife hates it I could do so. Now with every character gaining so much extra health, matches like DPQ will be so much harder AND longer! Barely any 2*'s got a health boost. OBW and 2* Storm definitely need the increase but I guess because so many 2-3* transitioners rely on these characters you don't care.

Between increasing others health and not 2* Storm, you basically indirectly nerfed her again!

Glad to see you made some character changes but you clearly didn't listen to us. Yes, you dropped She Hulk's health power but you kept Beast's. We've stated that Elektra's and She Hulk's friendly strike powers are useless if the opponent does not have any, yet those powers kept the same idea structure. Invisible Woman still sucks..

Most of all.. you tried to hide Xforce Wolv's nerf in the middle of all these changes! I do not have a fully covered Xforce, he's only 2/1/2 but this will affect a majority of the players especially the vets who replied heavily on him. His Green was reduced to be worse than Patch's and on par with his 2* version. His Black is pointless if the opponent's strongest color is not represented on the board, so with no AP drain or gain, the skill isn't very powerful. You moved the increase tile damage to Yellow but no one will still cover it.

Every one good change equals 2 bad changes.
  • Can you change the title of the thread to:
    Coming Soon : Defunct Game Company!
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    Also: Money
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Be realistic everyone, the Xforce nerf is justified. One character shouldn't be the best tool for every job, and that's what he was.
    Ok Ive taken quite a few thumbs down for this statement, Im fine with that. But no one has bothered to explain why one character being the best at everything is good for the game. All it does is devalue everyone else
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    She Hulk looks quite usable now. 6 green to reduce two colors to 0 is pretty lethal, though the randomness reduces it a bit.

Ah, but look at it this way. If you wait til you got 12 green aps, that's 4 AI colors getting black holed!!! icon_twisted.gif Good things come to those who wait. icon_cool.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Overall thought:

XF: Doesn't look that bad, except green dmg, but it was unwise descision to release when this era of PVP-MMR and related adjustments/tests are going. Also, worst possible time based on morale.

Beast: Still Beast, back to the drawing board.

Other characters: moved up a tier, however some of those damage numbers should be still improved +25-50%... (IW green, Elektra)
  • fmftint wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Be realistic everyone, the Xforce nerf is justified. One character shouldn't be the best tool for every job, and that's what he was.
    Ok Ive taken quite a few thumbs down for this statement, Im fine with that. But no one has bothered to explain why one character being the best at everything is good for the game. All it does is devalue everyone else

Xforce shouldn't be the Swiss Army knife but D3 has no damn clue how to nerf.

Sentry, Rags, and Spidey are just three major chars who got nerfed to the point of uselessness by the devs.

About the only time they got it right was with CMags.
  • fmftint wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

Probably because the fact that he has been good for so long, it has made sense to divert all resources to acquire him. Every character we chosen to level was based on who would help us get Xforce the quickest. Every character we haven't leveled was because we needed those resources to level xforce.

After all of those resources (in game and real life) put into getting xforce, it was now for nothing. Anger is probably stemming from the realization this game is using us all and really giving nothing in return.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, when they nerfed 4hor I said at the time (as did others) they couldn't nerf X-force at the same time, it would be a mass exodus from the game. By spreading it out maybe there won't be QUITE so many people leaving.

At least they learned their lesson from that nerf, where it is nothing but bad news. Here they introduce a couple of buffs first, then break the XF news, then some more buffs (some not that great, but still...it's a step in the right direction?)

That's the most positive thing I can possibly say about this news.
  • So I drop 12.5K on X-Force covers to watch him be ground into dust not even 6 weeks later? I sure hope your increased refund covers that. He was my only 4* and I was just feeling like I was really entering the realm of being competitive. Now? I feel like I've taken a huge step backwards that could take months to recover from. How is a small HP refund going to help make up for this? You really needed to make other characters more competitive, not punish people who paid you good money.
  • AaronTheLuigi
    AaronTheLuigi Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    Options
    With a huge bulk of the roster getting health upgrades, what are you looking for in the coming days in relation to the length of matches and longetivity of characters, and are there any pre-meditated plans to adjust progression rewards or ability damages accordingly or will you wait for metrics before deciding if/what overhauls are needed?
  • Yeah, I'm out.

This needed to happen, but you know when it needed to happen? Months ago. You know, right after the first XForce patch hit and everyone immediately realized . Not after everyone and their **** dog spent god knows how much covering this character. Not right after I drop 5000 hero points to get the last two covers. Because it's always that way, isn't it? The moment the general masses catch up with whatever the new "hot and sexy" is, it either gets nerfed or becomes obselete. Whales had all the time in the world to **** around with Sentry Hood, by the time I got Sentry maxed, it was just a week or two before the character became **** useless. Oh, and nice touch to buff a bunch of characters that only obsessives and whales are going to have around.

**** this ****. I'm just gonna play more Smash Bros. At least when they nerf Greninja again, I know they're not doing it to make me want to buy Mewtwo. icon_e_sad.gif
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Merged the two threads, fixed the first post to have the nicer formatting, and deleted the later, nicer formatted post. Continue your angry mob. Pitchforks on the right, torches on the left.

Where do I go if I lit my pitchfork on fire?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    She Hulk looks quite usable now. 6 green to reduce two colors to 0 is pretty lethal, though the randomness reduces it a bit.

Ah, but look at it this way. If you wait til you got 12 green aps, that's 4 AI colors getting black holed!!! icon_twisted.gif Good things come to those who wait. icon_cool.gif

That's only true if the randomizer selects from AP > 0. I'm not sure it does.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    fmftint wrote:

let's say you want the fastest car in the world. So you buy said car. 2 weeks later while you're sleeping they come take parts out of your car and replace them. Because it was too fast compared to all the other cars

Another way to put this is. What's the point of trying to get the better characters in the game if D3 is going to continue to nerf the top characters.
    There is no reason to try and get covers anymore. Any character that is good will eventually be nerfed. And then all characters will suck as much as Bagman
  • puppychow wrote:

That's only true if the randomizer selects from AP > 0. I'm not sure it does.

Depends how they programmed it.

Loki's Mischief can target any color with at least 1 to steal. They may make this the same way.