Army Of One -- New Event

Options

Comments

• Spoit wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Bucky76 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I'm pretty sure right now shielded guys do not appear on any new matchups, so it's only whoever already had you on a matchup list or a retaliation can hit you after you're shielded.

I think so also ... most likely done to limit the gain of points in the system due to hitting shielded people. Thus making it tougher ONCE AGAIN to hit the higher progression rewards!

I think what they need to do is make shielded guys never show up after you skipped an opponent. Otherwise people eventually figure out who is shielded and you just keep skip until you find them. If they only show up as the initial opponent, even if you knew who are shielded you still can't make too much of it, and also it'd mean you've an incentive to just play the first guy you see (since hitting a shielded opponent, even for low points, is always a good thing).
    There's so much lag, you can't really tell until the 3 or 4th time you hit them anyway. And that's with hitting 3 or 4 targets too.

Removing even more people from matchmaking just exacerbates the whole 'mmr island' problem that's gotten worse recently

Right now I'm pretty sure you don't see shielded guys if they're not already on your list anyway, so it's like you'll have any less opponents to choose from.
  • Microtom wrote:
    My shields ends 4 minutes before the end of the event. Not sure if I should do an attack at the end or just reshield for 4 minutes... I'm like 3 or 4th and need yellow cover...

Why would you attack unless you're within 20 points of #1? You're almost certainly going to lose points so unless you can reach #1, or that you already fell out of top 5 by then, there's no reason to take that risk.
  • I've got three 20+ pointers lined up ready to go in case someone makes a run...27 points is not enough of a lead to feel safe if I see them take their shield down
  • Instead of hiding shielded players, change the way your defence team is selected to the last match won and most of these problems go away.
  • Fangel wrote:
    Instead of hiding shielded players, change the way your defence team is selected to the last match won and most of these problems go away.

This. It makes it harder to field tank teams at higher point levels and also allows for more points to trickle down (which was the devs original intention)

Btw are you going for the IW cover?
  • Nope, she is maxed. Go for it. Time is running out!
  • Shielded team gets eaten up like bagman teams anyway once you identify them because you should always full boost on them, not because they're hard but that you don't know how long they'd stay shielded or remain in your matchup list so you need to get your free points as fast as possible. Having bagman just makes it easier to identify them in the first place, but I was slapping them down continously every minute even when they're legitmate teams. The iso8 cost is nothing compared to gaining a few hundred rating points.
  • I had the #2 guy in my bracket getting very close to me and I had him in my queue, I was ready to break shield and attack him then reshield...but I decided to check one more time and he was down like 80 points icon_lol.gif Thanks to whoever just saved me 50 hp!
  • Yes but it makes it significantly harder to abuse the shield system.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Microtom wrote:
    My shields ends 4 minutes before the end of the event. Not sure if I should do an attack at the end or just reshield for 4 minutes... I'm like 3 or 4th and need yellow cover...

Why would you attack unless you're within 20 points of #1? You're almost certainly going to lose points so unless you can reach #1, or that you already fell out of top 5 by then, there's no reason to take that risk.

I don't want to attack, but I'll be shieldless for the last 4 minutes. So either I reshield or attack. I'm 3rd with 686 and 5th is 550. I don't know in I can make it without reshielding.
  • Microtom wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Microtom wrote:

I don't want to attack, but I'll be shieldless for the last 4 minutes. So either I reshield or attack. I'm 3rd with 686 and 5th is 550. I don't know in I can make it without reshielding.

If you can do two or three attacks right at the end, you should be totally safe. Queue up three people who are easy targets and go to town with boosts. That'll bring you to 750, and I don't think you're going to lose 200 points in 4 minutes.
  • I don't know what changed with PvP and shields recently but i just went from 610 (which was 8th or so in my bracket) to 377 in less than 10 minutes after my shield dropped (with an hour to go before the end of this.) Super frustrating. I've been playing since a bit after launch and have never seen things go this way.
  • Vierzehn wrote:
    I don't know what changed with PvP and shields recently but i just went from 610 (which was 8th or so in my bracket) to 377 in less than 10 minutes after my shield dropped (with an hour to go before the end of this.) Super frustrating. I've been playing since a bit after launch and have never seen things go this way.

yeah I'm not risking a yellow cover for 50 coins, I'm reshielding.
  • Watching my bracket has been... funny yet sad...people trying to make final hour pushes only to get smashed backwards quickly. Making a run in the final hour is not the way anymore for pvp!
  • it's 5.50 am, I woke up 20mins ago. When I went to sleep I was first at 703pts, when I woke up I was 4th. unshielded, started grinding, and currently I'm at 578pts.

piece of ****.

can someone explain to me in what way exactly this game promotes dedicated players?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bucky76 wrote:
    Watching my bracket has been... funny yet sad...people trying to make final hour pushes only to get smashed backwards quickly. Making a run in the final hour is not the way anymore for pvp!
    Yeah, it's a little sad, watching this guy try to beat oversoul, he gets above for one refresh, and then he falls back again

EDIT: and how he's all the way at #7, sad
  • I shielded at #9 and went up to as high as #8 and as low as #12 and finished #10. I made the mistake of trying to push for top 5 when I was #6 and needless to say my points never went up, but I cut my losses on time.
  • Celerity wrote:
    If you can do two or three attacks right at the end, you should be totally safe. Queue up three people who are easy targets and go to town with boosts. That'll bring you to 750, and I don't think you're going to lose 200 points in 4 minutes.
    I'm pretty sure jacobpc alone would be able to make you lose 200 points in 4 minutes.

Jokes aside, I dunno how I feel about the new shields. Unlike before where shields benefited everyone, now it mostly just benefits the shielder alone. That being said, still placed 2nd without using shields.
  • I said to myself "whatever..I am in 8th..if I don't shield ill probably drop with it saying >1 min...so while its prob a waste ill shield (since i'll max patches pretty easily anyway). Throw it up. Look at my stuff again. Refresh the pag by backing out and in. Event is over and o am hit with a -40 or so that wasn't blocked by the shield. So it literally took a shield, didn't block the last attack, and the shield played all of 0-3 sec TOPS.

I WANT A REFUND! lol.(a actually kinda serious....).

The PvP is killing the game for me. Regardless of what the new tourney is ice9 said that it will use the same scoring...so...everyone will still prob hate it lol....sigh. Monetization = defunification
  • Ended up reshielding and finished third. Was in an easy bracket tho as I entered this morning. Going to wait before entering second iteration too.