Army Of One -- New Event

Options

Comments

• I barely squeaked out around 620-ish or so. About 2.5 hours before the event ended, and after an hour of re-climbing from 500 to 600, I'd finally managed to hit (and shield) at 597. I go to have a snack, come back, a good deal of persons tried to retaliate and it saved me ~200 points of losses, which I'm super glad for.

I re-checked my position at 11:45, and only got hit once. Probably by a late retaliation. Climbed a bit higher to maintain top 5 and stayed there. They definitely did something with how being shielded places you in the matchmaking pool.
  • I joined about 1/2 into the tourney. I wound up first in my bracket with 856. Second was very close at 800 exactly, seems he was shielded for the last 8 hours of the tourney. I kept shields up most if the time after hitting 600, attacks were very spare up until that point. I made a run for 1000 about four hours before the end and made up to 960+ before getting hammered back down to 827. Shielded at 3 hours to go, and fought once more when my shield expired with one minute left in the tourney.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I stopped at rank 10ish, but I didn't want to use shields since they are crazy expensive now and the event ended in the middle of the night. Ended up in the Top75...

And now how do I get my MMR down again if I can't pick a defensive team? All the enemies I can pick from are Lv50-70.

They need to trash the entire PVP system and start from scratch. The system is so broken, anything they tweak is only making the mess bigger. A combination of a global MMR with per-event scoring simply does not work and never will.
  • KaioShinDE wrote:
    I stopped at rank 10ish, but I didn't want to use shields since they are crazy expensive now and the event ended in the middle of the night. Ended up in the Top75...

And now how do I get my MMR down again if I can't pick a defensive team? All the enemies I can pick from are Lv50-70.

They need to trash the entire PVP system and start from scratch. The system is so broken, anything they tweak is only making the mess bigger. A combination of a global MMR with per-event scoring simply does not work and never will.

Shields aren't expansive, those covers are worth 1250 hp, and you can get them for 50 hp instead. You also get a 100 hp reward at the end, so you finish with more hp then you started with.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Microtom wrote:
    KaioShinDE wrote:

Shields aren't expansive, those covers are worth 1250 hp, and you can get them for 50 hp instead. You also get a 100 hp reward at the end, so you finish with more hp then you started with.

With 3hour shields that might be the case, but it ended so late I would have needed an 8 hour shield. I'm also not sure I absolutely want to level Wolvie, for now I'm focusing on Punisher as my first 3*. So I rather not spend that HP. Also, the scores were much closer together than usual. In past tourneys I would have quit at 800 points and the top 15 started in the mid 500s. With this everyone but 2 or 3 people were now around 550 points. There was no telling if I would have even stayed far enough on top to get any 3* covers.... It jsut wasn't worth the risk to me.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    KaioShinDE wrote:

Imho, shield prices are where they should be. You play and you get the 50HP progression reward which you can use for a 3 hour shield. That may gain you a top 15 placement which comes with 2 covers and 100HP. So net gain = 2 covers and 100HP. It is actually a good deal. The tricky part is that you don't always know how high the top 15 will go if you shield for many hours (even 3 are a lot for this type of event), but the 100HP is offered to the top 45.

Compared to not using a shield and dropping to top 75, using a shield and placing top 15 or even top 45 is better no matter how you see it. The only exception is if someone isn't interested in the Patch covers. If that is the case with you, then you did the right thing. I am also tempted to let go in this tournament and go for the Thor covers since I still need 1 red and 2 green and Patch is 3/3/3 with 2 covers banked. I will decide tomorrow how I will play it this time.
  • Purty_Hawkeye
    Purty_Hawkeye Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I have all the top rewards at this point so I'm really using this to see how different strategies are working.

For Round 1 I started off with a push to 325 and shielded for 3hours. Saw a wave of retaliations just after the shield went up.

Skipped around and had a different MMR pool and lined up three >25 pt. opponents. Broke the shield, beat those three, but found myself seeing them again and then had to skip a lot to find more >20 pt. opponents. Managed to get up to 600 and shielded just in time as right after the shield slammed down I was hit six times in five minutes and would've lost over 200pts if I had not shielded. Early morning run up to 800 and this time the wolves caught up and lost 80 in a hurry and put up a final shield at 720 which got me a top 5 finish.

There is no way I could've made 1000 playing this way and that is really necessary to be worth multiple shields so you get the 50HP at 500 and the 100HP at 1000.

I'm still finding MMR islands and I really don't understand why this is so. With a conservative estimate of 10,000 players I shouldn't be seeing the same 20 or so constantly including a set of six which seem to be my constant companions. No matter what PvP i play I can be 100% sure my six-pack will be in my opponent list.

They're trying but it still isn't working great yet.
  • Got top 5, gave up on getting 1st. Tired of seeing -points after every other match, toss a shield and then went to eat dinner.
  • Spanked TheLadder's tank team. It feels like I've touched a celebrity. ♥
  • itstime1234
    itstime1234 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I don't think anyone is complaining about whether Shields are worth the 50 HP, I think the complaint lies in the fact that anyone with points is shielded and out of the pool. I am in 16th right now and just took a look and the whole top 10 are all shielded meaning I am stck with 10-12 pointers. This kills the ability to climb up the progression charts and the minute you take your shields down you get wacked up side the head by a dozen people because you are one of the few people worth anything.

So basically they have changed a fun game of continually beating people up getting rewards into a make a quick run. Shield, line up your enemies for when your shield falls. Quickly win. Reshield. Rinse and repeat. I wouldnt be surprised if the top person is shielded for over half the contest and literally fights for 2-3 hours at most throughout the game.
  • It's a matter of game theory

Shields can be seen:
    you: spend the time to win with a tank team, shield, drop your mmr, get easy targets
    they: repeatedly skip to the tank teams when they break high enough to see them, farm them to 1000pt leads

Can't see the shields:
    you: get high, then shield
    they: have to fight in the muck swapping points around, opportunity to break in to top is zero.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Ladder: I just saw your tank team, which makes me thinking that tanking is still possible. How did you put that team up?
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    Sitting in my bracket with 750 points, nearest guy is at 500. Seems like the trick is to play more than 1.5 days before tourney is over and grind your way up in the middle of the night, since people are reluctant to use 1 day shields. Hopefully this lead holds...
  • Hm my Patch spits out strike tiles that are just over half the strength of my Punisher's boosted tiles. I think Patch might be more useful for me - probably get more than 6 tiles at which point I'm dealing more damage than I would with Punisher's tiles.
  • Matchmaking is soooo bad. I'm doing my best to try and get the 80 points I need for first but damn. Can't find a match worth mroe than 10-11 and they are all active players since shields are taken out of the pool. Means its a race to highest points early on and then shield.
  • Gotta be kidding me. I climb to 780 or so. Fighting a match to get me over 800 for the token. What do I get when I finish at 808 or so? -82 between two fights.

It takes me EIGHT fights to get 82 points. I lose it over the course of one. F that.

Shielded in first place by a measly eight freaking points because D3 can't get this garbage matchmaking system to work.
  • jozier wrote:
    Gotta be kidding me. I climb to 780 or so. Fighting a match to get me over 800 for the token. What do I get when I finish at 808 or so? -82 between two fights.

It takes me EIGHT fights to get 82 points. I lose it over the course of one. F that.

Shielded in first place by a measly eight freaking points because D3 can't get this garbage matchmaking system to work.

First in my bracket is at 960 or so. I shielded last night at 810 with a 24 he ist to see if I could get first. I'll remove and try to burst to 1000 but I don't see it happening. I would need fo win about 8-10 matches without being attacked to do that. Again..I just don't see it happening.
  • Lady A wrote:
    Spanked TheLadder's tank team. It feels like I've touched a celebrity. ♥

I love this.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Options
    With the new changes to thorverine and boosts, I doubt anyone is going to be pushing to 754 soon, so I'm glad that I did my grinding early. It feels like a bittersweet victory though, since I don't think I can pull this off next tournament.
  • Until the nerfs hit, I was rotating Thorverine and OBW. Post-nerf Thor and Wolverine took too much damage before killing for my liking, so I subbed in IM40 to team with OBW. With this team all colors do damage, all colors have an activated ability, I have healing, strike tiles, and 2 abilities feeding me AP. Not too bad so far.