Army Of One -- New Event

Options

Comments

• noobpotato wrote:
    Sitting in first at 827 with a couple of shielded lurkers right below me at 800 and 797...I'm sure their biding their time so my phone isn't leaving my side for the next 2 1/2 hours...

Are you shielded?
    Yep I made a run for 1000 got to 961 and was hit four times in a row for a bunch of damage...bugpop was there in the mix. So I shielded up until someone breaks theirs
  • I am enjoying watching BurntID go up to 660ish and down to 600 over and over again, if only he knew that I am waiting to unshield with minutes left if he passes me ;o)
  • I think the new shield mechanics suck. I keep getting pounded, because I guess every time I shield, they funnel more people to those that aren't shielded. Really bad design.
  • noobpotato wrote:
    I'm in a very similar boat. I'm at #1 with 756 - 2 below me are 523/522. Everyone I'm watching climb is climbing and then getting blasted down like 3-5 spots.
    I have seen 2 people attempt to climb and then completely fall off top 10.

Yep. 9 of top ten were shielded. Now 8 of 10 as a couple have made some runs but I too saw a guy get up to 2 or 3 and fell completely out of top 10. Hes fighting back but over 100 points less.
  • I'm pretty sure right now shielded guys do not appear on any new matchups, so it's only whoever already had you on a matchup list or a retaliation can hit you after you're shielded.
  • Err I meant every time someone else shields.
  • noobpotato wrote:
    Sitting in first at 827 with a couple of shielded lurkers right below me at 800 and 797...I'm sure their biding their time so my phone isn't leaving my side for the next 2 1/2 hours...

Are you shielded?
    Yep I made a run for 1000 got to 961 and was hit four times in a row for a bunch of damage...bugpop was there in the mix. So I shielded up until someone breaks theirs

With what I'm seeing from this thread as well as my personal experience is that even if someone unshields, you're prob better off not unshielding.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I made a run to the top last night. Got to #2 with 652 and was only trying to push to clear 700 for the progression reward. Made it over a few times, but was apparently attacked at the same time, so I figured putting up a shield was better than 500 ISO.

I slipped a bit overnight, and now that a few people have been trying to take their shots at #1, I've been flicking between #4 and #6 (currently at #5). I'd like to grab another Yellow cover, but I know it's not worth the heartache to unshield. It's kinda fun to check the leaderboard every 5-10 minutes and see what has changed.
  • Phantron wrote:
    I'm pretty sure right now shielded guys do not appear on any new matchups, so it's only whoever already had you on a matchup list or a retaliation can hit you after you're shielded.

I think so also ... most likely done to limit the gain of points in the system due to hitting shielded people. Thus making it tougher ONCE AGAIN to hit the higher progression rewards!
  • I have never seen the entire top 10 shielded, but it is now. Cant stay in it unless you do now its pretty much mandatory. Managed to secure 2nd with a decent buffer so unless several people unshield and get lucky I should get that last yellow cover.
  • Bucky76 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I'm pretty sure right now shielded guys do not appear on any new matchups, so it's only whoever already had you on a matchup list or a retaliation can hit you after you're shielded.

I think so also ... most likely done to limit the gain of points in the system due to hitting shielded people. Thus making it tougher ONCE AGAIN to hit the higher progression rewards!

I think what they need to do is make shielded guys never show up after you skipped an opponent. Otherwise people eventually figure out who is shielded and you just keep skip until you find them. If they only show up as the initial opponent, even if you knew who are shielded you still can't make too much of it, and also it'd mean you've an incentive to just play the first guy you see (since hitting a shielded opponent, even for low points, is always a good thing).
  • I decided to **** it and shield in 3rd place. Too much competition and I'd rather finish my Patch sooner than later. This new system is garbage.
  • In first at 815. 2nd is at 709. 9 out of top 10 shielded. Mine runs out in 30 minutes, so I have a tough choice: try and boost through a few quick matches and risk the mob, or immediately reshield? Given what people are reporting, I'm inclined to stay protected and trust that 2nd place can't close 100 pts. without getting mauled. I'm leaning towards playing it safe and popping up another 50 HP security blanket. Thoughts?
  • Better off shielding. It's insane out there right now. Normally I wouldn't concede a 150 point lead but I am, it's that bad. Settling for a top 5 finish instead of 1st, even though I need yellow IW covers.
  • jozier wrote:
    Better off shielding. It's insane out there right now. Normally I wouldn't concede a 150 point lead but I am, it's that bad. Settling for a top 5 finish instead of 1st, even though I need yellow IW covers.

I second this, just reshield
  • Reshield... have seen many get whacked for 100 plus in minutes so you could drop out of top 10 quickly
  • In first at 815. 2nd is at 709. 9 out of top 10 shielded. Mine runs out in 30 minutes, so I have a tough choice: try and boost through a few quick matches and risk the mob, or immediately reshield? Given what people are reporting, I'm inclined to stay protected and trust that 2nd place can't close 100 pts. without getting mauled. I'm leaning towards playing it safe and popping up another 50 HP security blanket. Thoughts?

Shield and it's not close, I got gang banged for over - 150 in less than five minutes of unshielding
  • Thanks for affirming my gut instincts on this one, gang. Going to reshield and trust in the zombie horde to protect my IW cover!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Bucky76 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

I think what they need to do is make shielded guys never show up after you skipped an opponent. Otherwise people eventually figure out who is shielded and you just keep skip until you find them. If they only show up as the initial opponent, even if you knew who are shielded you still can't make too much of it, and also it'd mean you've an incentive to just play the first guy you see (since hitting a shielded opponent, even for low points, is always a good thing).
    There's so much lag, you can't really tell until the 3 or 4th time you hit them anyway. And that's with hitting 3 or 4 targets too.

Removing even more people from matchmaking just exacerbates the whole 'mmr island' problem that's gotten worse recently
  • My shields ends 4 minutes before the end of the event. Not sure if I should do an attack at the end or just reshield for 4 minutes... I'm like 3 or 4th and need yellow cover...