[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• Ben Grimm wrote:
    Carnage.

Some people seem to like him.

I guess.

For some reason.
    1 - kickass powers.
    2 - truly psychotically evil (see Joker)
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nothing's guaranteed until it shows up in-game. The leak showed 2 characters which are fairly high on the "expected" list, and a 3rd which was completely out of left-field. The two expected characters conform to what is already been shown for them, so there's a good chance the leak is legit.

I would describe the powerset for the 3rd character as "the new Sentry" - for me, it's not exciting and I'm not looking forward to collecting covers. Hopefully fans see how the powers represent the character and are excited for them in the game.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Cyclopes wrote:
    Carnage would be awesome though. I just wish there was a venom who wasn't just 1* before we got carnage. Where's agent venom? icon_e_sad.gif
    Agreed, before Carnage I would like to see one between 2* Agent Venom (Eugene Thompson) and 3* Venom (Eddie Brock).
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    First and foremost, I did not discover this. I simply took caps before I suggested it be taken down (so Demiurge doesn't get into trouble.) So if you want to throw karma at someone, go back to page 95 and upboat hexad_2808.

Also, on page 95, that's Cletus Klump in my comment. And Colin Farrell is in the next season of True Detectives. He doesn't have a ugly forehead in this one.

blackflag.png Character X grabs an unsuspecting teammate and hurls them into the fray! Deal %xvaluedamage to a selected teammate and %xvaluedamage to the target.

redflag.png (passive) Character X attacks everybody! Whenever a power is fired, character X creates 2 friendly strength %xvalue attack tiles. Character X also creates 2 enemy strength %xvalue attack tiles.

greenflag.png Character X unleases a torrent of **flavor text redacted**! Character X destroyx #numtiles and deals %xvaluedamage for every special tile destroyed. Does not generate AP.

=========================================================================

blackflag.png (passive) If Character Y deals the final blow to an opponent, Y cashes in by creating %xvalue strike tiles of strength %xvalue strength.

greenflag.png Character Y hurls a torrent of sharp objects hitting Y's opponent in the limbs before delivering the final blow. Y selects up to &xvalue basic tiles and destroys them, dealing %xvalue damage. Destroyed tiles do not deal damage or generate AP.

purpleflag.png Character Y destroys up to %xvalue tiles selected basic, attack, protect, or strike tiles, and deal %xvalue damage to the target for each non-basic tile destroyed. Does not generate AP.

===========================================================================

The third character leaked was basically a screencap of 2* Cyclops abilities, which has been out and known for over a week.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Man, I miss all the good stuff. /pout

Also, have to backtrack on a post I made earlier: the MCU twins aren't Inhumans, apparently. There was a promo comic issued for Age of Ultron that demonstrates they were "created" by Strucker using Loki's staff. So there you go, I guess.... Mea culpa.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    :blackflag: Character X grabs an unsuspecting teammate and hurls them into the fray! Deal %xvaluedamage to a selected teammate and %xvaluedamage to the target.

redflag.png (passive) Character X attacks everybody! Whenever a power is fired, character X creates 2 friendly strength %xvalue attack tiles. Character X also creates 2 enemy strength %xvalue attack tiles.
    Geez, I sure wish they'd stop with the damn self-damaging abilities already...
  • San Narciso
    San Narciso Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    simonsez wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:
    :blackflag: Character X grabs an unsuspecting teammate and hurls them into the fray! Deal %xvaluedamage to a selected teammate and %xvaluedamage to the target.

The problem with redflag.png is if you decide to strategically pair "Character X" with Loki or Daredevil to handle the opponents strikes and make them work FOR you, is when firing off their power, you just create two more for them. We'll see how strong these abilities hit the enemy vs how hard they hit their own team.

At any rate, I see one of two things happening, this new character becoming the new pre-nerf Sentry and kicking butt despite the self-damage (in which case will be nerfed within the month of release) OR being a post-nerf Sentry that is just a mediocre character that might be useful as a PVP defensive but I'll never use because with all the recent changes to the game because I've been going through enough health packs as it is.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2015
    simonsez wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

The problem with redflag.png is if you decide to strategically pair "Character X" with Loki or Daredevil to handle the opponents strikes and make them work FOR you, is when firing off their power, you just create two more for them. We'll see how strong these abilities hit the enemy vs how hard they hit their own team.

At any rate, I see one of two things happening, this new character becoming the new pre-nerf Sentry and kicking butt despite the self-damage (in which case will be nerfed within the month of release) OR being a post-nerf Sentry that is just a mediocre character that might be useful as a PVP defensive but I'll never use because with all the recent changes to the game because I've been going through enough health packs as it is.

It creates attack tiles, not strike tiles. He will probably be a better version of Dr.Oc, with high compatibility with Dr.OC or x5x ProfX
    inb4 overly cautious dev nerfs ability because of reading this
  • simonsez wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

Maybe the value is 1 and the cost is 1 black ap. That would make for an amazing ability
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler

Falcon. Passives don't count as "firing off".
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    Cyclopes wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Carnage.
    Some people seem to like him.
    I guess.
    For some reason.

As a fan of carnage i'd like to explain why that may be. For me at the least it was because carnage was so commonly associated with venom and being a guy who likes his bad guys more venom was one of my favorites in the spider-man rogues gallery. So then I saw this character who was basically a more evil venom with seemingly more strength. That's really the reason why I think people like him.

Carnage would be awesome though. I just wish there was a venom who wasn't just 1* before we got carnage. Where's agent venom? icon_e_sad.gif

Great points. To add to that, I loved Carnage as he was fairly unique as a Spidey foe with no particular goal other than widespread murder and mayhem. Most of Spidey's best-known villains at the time seemed to fit into two primary categories:

i) crime, either petty or organized (bank-robbing costumed thugs, the Kingpin, and everything in between)
    ii) those with a personal vendetta against Spidey

Venom fit into the latter, and that singular vision of his is a big part of what made him such an interesting character. Aside from both Brock and the symbiote's shared hatred for Spider-man, Venom really wasn't much of a societal threat at all (e.g. -- I loved when he stopped fighting to save a baby)

http://www.comics101.com/guestlecturer//news/Guest%20Lecturer/56/Venom%207.JPG

Then along came Carnage who was the complete antithesis of that, killing purely "because I can". While there could be essays written on that particular scene/quote being a foreshadowing of all the redundantly blood-filled 90s comics that followed, there's no denying that Carnage presented a rare occasion where the normally-clever Spidey couldn't think or plan or reason his way out of a confrontation as effortlessly as usual. Carnage represented pure random chaos, and the horror of Spidey's realization of such (from their first encounter) -- that "Heaven help me" -- is incredibly memorable to this day.

http://www.symbiote.fr/images/comics/amazing361_18.jpg
  • San Narciso
    San Narciso Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    turul wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    ronin-san wrote:

It creates attack tiles, not strike tiles. He will probably be a better version of Dr.Oc, with high compatibility with Dr.OC or x5x ProfX
    inb4 overly cautious dev nerfs ability because of reading this

Oh you're right. I read attack but my head said strike. My bad. Well, I'm lookin forward to see how this plays out, though I just sold my first three star since playing for 400ish days. Gave Oc away for HP. I guess it only makes sense he'll become useful now.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yess. I've been waiting for a power like that bul.. er, character Y's green for a long time.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2015
    Because we know the abilities of these star.pngstar.pngstar.png characters, the funny thing is, their health, and ap cost to power ratios are still untold.

So these could be duds or the best chars ever. Crossing my fingers..
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards

At first glance, it does certainly feel as though this character is designed to encourage buying health packs. I think the Black ability is the largest concern in that regard. The red ability could cause trouble, but I'm starting to think it could make for some interesting teams.

It's a bit of soft counter for Iron Fist's passive and Kamala's passive. I assume it should activate whenever goons put countdown tiles on the board, so that will be interesting.

There's some obvious synergy with Falcon, and I could see some interesting synergy with She-Hulk or Doc Ock - or even the other upcoming character with their targeted special tile destruction.
  • I wonder if the black will trigger icon_caroldanvers.pngyellowflag.png or icon_hulk.pngblackflag.png
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    I wonder if the black will trigger icon_caroldanvers.pngyellowflag.png or icon_hulk.pngblackflag.png

or icon_kamalakhan.pngyellowflag.png
  • It should trigger Kamala's but usually self damage doesn't proc damage-reaction abilities AFAIK
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hulk no, Kamala yes, Cmarvel yes if self-dmg big enough
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    What odd character choices, but interesting mechanics. I really wish they would get away from the blackflag.pnggreenflag.png and purpleflag.png or redflag.png because we have plenty of them. I'm looking at my own dorky color combo spreadsheet, and Daredevil, Kingpin, Scarlet Witch and Star-Lord are pretty lonely. Also, I get the feeling the devs are like, "You ARE going to use Doc Ock and She-hulk, and you WILL like it!"

As far as the character choices, all I can really say is that I'll enjoy these few weeks between movie and Netflix releases when there's at least some suspense and not "Ant-Man then Jessica Jones..." and the devs can release characters they want instead of what Disney strongly suggests they consider releasing. Now, that they want to release character x boggles the mind. As much as I dislike them, I would take Rogue and Gambit any day, shugah. But that's just my opinion, mon ami. Adieu.
This discussion has been closed.