[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• Peej13 wrote:
    Is that a new cover for Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, or Vision...?
    best case scenario it's a new version of quicksilver that doesn't suck
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Honest question, of all the things to dedicate time towards, why are rotating cover images seemingly getting attention? I don't know if they have a separate "negotiating with marvel for new covers" arm that is different from the devs we usually interact with but if they are one and the same...is an ugly Daken cover really something they consider important? Do sales spike when new cover art gets added? If so, shame on us then, lol.

I'll admit, I LOVE the SG alt cover that they made permanent but the rest of these seem like change for change sake.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    An interesting information from ShionSinX in relation to the new PvE hinted by turul:
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28066
    icon_mrgreen.gif
  • teef1
    teef1 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    DrNitroman wrote:
    An interesting information from ShionSinX in relation to the new PvE hinted by turul:
    icon_mrgreen.gif

Here's some more info on that:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... mes-790149

A small excerpt:
    Marvel Puzzle Quest will offer Hulkbuster Iron Man and Scarlet Witch as in-game prizes for players who defeat Ultron in a Boss Battle event.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    orbitalint wrote:
    Honest question, of all the things to dedicate time towards, why are rotating cover images seemingly getting attention? I don't know if they have a separate "negotiating with marvel for new covers" arm that is different from the devs we usually interact with but if they are one and the same...is an ugly Daken cover really something they consider important? Do sales spike when new cover art gets added? If so, shame on us then, lol.

I'll admit, I LOVE the SG alt cover that they made permanent but the rest of these seem like change for change sake.

Complete conjecture on my part, but I don't think it's as much "let's focus on cover-changes to spruce things up a bit!" as much as it has to do with licensing fees for specific artists' work. Some comic artists work on a for-hire basis while many others sign short-term or long-term exclusive contracts with Marvel. Artists no longer under contract do still get royalties when a cover of theirs is re-used later (i.e., Bryan Hitch's original cover for The Ultimates #1 was re-used for thematic reasons on a recent issue of Avengers, and he received royalties for that.) I may be completely wrong here, but my personal theory is that the licensing fees / royalties are cheaper and/or easier to work out [for work used in external media such as this game] while an artist is still under an exclusive Marvel contract, hence the few occasions where covers seem to change for no particular reason.

This of course does not particularly apply to the Women Of Marvel covers and the vote held for those, which I'm glad they decided to acknowledge! I love that new Squirrel Girl cover.
  • orbitalint wrote:

Personally, I like them changing covers around, just because I've been looking at some of these for 18 months and I'm beyond bored with them. Changing the art every so often keeps the game fresh.
  • I don't mind them changing the covers on occasion as long as the new ones aren't godawful or have other issues.

While I don't like the current 3* Captain Marvel much, I hated the replacement version because every time I looked at it I said "Why is an Alex Ross issue of Gatchaman in my inventory?"
  • orbitalint
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:

Personally, I like them changing covers around, just because I've been looking at some of these for 18 months and I'm beyond bored with them. Changing the art every so often keeps the game fresh.
    I don't have an issue with them changing it but they seem like a development team that is very clearly having to make choices between X and Y in terms of the time and resources they can commit to any one thing. Sure it's low-hanging fruit to change up the covers but for me, personally, it doesn't do anything for me at a time when I'm losing the spark to play due to some fundamental game issues they are having and it being generally uninteresting from a content perspective.

Ultron will be a nice shot of adrenaline to the system but I guess I'm looking for more substance than just cover changes.
  • orbitalint wrote:
    I don't have an issue with them changing it but they seem like a development team that is very clearly having to make choices between X and Y in terms of the time and resources they can commit to any one thing. Sure it's low-hanging fruit to change up the covers but for me, personally, it doesn't do anything for me at a time when I'm losing the spark to play due to some fundamental game issues they are having and it being generally uninteresting from a content perspective.

Ultron will be a nice shot of adrenaline to the system but I guess I'm looking for more substance than just cover changes.

The people working on and making decisions about the art assets in the game are almost certainly not the people working on designing the new characters and PVE designs. I think keeping the covers static isn't going to speed up fixing the gameplay.
  • orbitalint
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:

The people working on and making decisions about the art assets in the game are almost certainly not the people working on designing the new characters and PVE designs. I think keeping the covers static isn't going to speed up fixing the gameplay.
    If that's true, objection withdrawn icon_e_smile.gif
  • orbitalint wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:

but we can still be angry at D3 for lack of content and releasing characters instead of fixing them
  • Or we can be excited about the upcoming PVE content, excited for upcoming characters. You say you want them to fix instead of add new, and yet when they do fix it sparks an outrage. Really they won't win with the vocal forum either way, but I choose to focus on the upcoming additions, be it character or content. Can't wait to see how this Ultron event that should be coming plays!
  • taloncarde wrote:
    Or we can be excited about the upcoming PVE content, excited for upcoming characters. You say you want them to fix instead of add new, and yet when they do fix it sparks an outrage. Really they won't win with the vocal forum either way, but I choose to focus on the upcoming additions, be it character or content. Can't wait to see how this Ultron event that should be coming plays!
    If you're seriously talking to me, go thru my post history before assuming

Or even read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27912&p=339915#p339792

Lastly:

When you see rain in the desert, you're ecstatic.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I actually think the cover rotation is probably coming from Marvel, in the hopes that people will see new covers, get curious about the issues underneath them, and wind up springing for Unlimited or visit their local comics store.

Certainly worked for me.... the 2* David Aja Hawkeye cover got me looking at more of his artwork, which led me to devouring both the Hawkeye and Iron Fist series he drew.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    orbitalint wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    orbitalint wrote:

It should be true; replacing art assets should be almost as simple as updating images on a webpage. So long as the image meets the size and format requirements, it's as simple as replacing a file. I say almost, because in this case the file must be pushed to user devices. Assuming some forethought went into the system architecture, that should be a routine task, taking no development time at all.

Now, being in development myself, it almost certainly isn't that simple. The theoretical ideal is rarely realized. If it takes 15min to do it the poorly thought out way, but would require an hour to fix it for all time and out of the dev's hair ... it will continue to get done the 15min way. icon_lol.gif
  • Since there's an official announcement from Marvel that the Age of Ultron is going to be tied to its games I'm guessing it'd have to be next PvE event introduces Scarlet Witch, and the Ultron event you can play to win IMHB who should be a 4* just because IM is already accounted for in 1*/3* and 2* seems pretty pointless to introduce in a big event and having 2 3* IM just seems totally pointless. Based on what I remembered from the spoiler notes it'd make sense that the 4* we get is IMHB not Ultron because Ultron does seem way too powerful to be used by a player.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    teef1 wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    icon_mrgreen.gif

A small excerpt:
    Marvel Puzzle Quest will offer Hulkbuster Iron Man and Scarlet Witch as in-game prizes for players who defeat Ultron in a Boss Battle event.

I wonder if that means "Marvel Puzzle Quest will offer Hulkbuster Iron Man (for top 2) and Scarlet Witch (for top 150) as in-game prizes for players who defeat Ultron in a Boss Battle event.".....
  • SnowcaTT wrote:
    teef1 wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    icon_mrgreen.gif

A small excerpt:

I wonder if that means "Marvel Puzzle Quest will offer Hulkbuster Iron Man (for top 2) and Scarlet Witch (for top 150) as in-game prizes for players who defeat Ultron in a Boss Battle event.".....
    Knowing them it will be Scarlet witch 7 day ultron event followed by 7 day Hulkbuster PVE requiring Scarlet witch and some random characters
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    teef1 wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    icon_mrgreen.gif

A small excerpt:

Knowing them it will be Scarlet witch 7 day ultron event followed by 7 day Hulkbuster PVE requiring Scarlet witch and some random characters
    I would reverse that because the Devs like making 4* characters top 50 for personal PVE and then tIM will be essential for SW. Or they will give out both at the same time so you can drop 1200-1400 HP on roster slots at the same time!!
  • SnowcaTT wrote:

My guess would be that instead of having alliance reward for IMHB it'd just be any alliance that manages to defeat Ultron gets an IMHB cover, though there's nothing stopping them from making defeat Ultron meaning 'doing 5 billion damage to him'.
This discussion has been closed.