• turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    cover change incoming:
    CvpnwfF.jpg?1
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    It's one thing to reveal spoilers with a "subject to change" clause, but when it's stuff that's months away, there is a solid chance the entire thing gets pushed back months, even a year. That makes people really pissed off, if it's done by the company that publishes the game. If a user does it, then maybe he's wrong, maybe he revealed something that wasn't meant to be hyped, who knows.

MTG cards were leaked to random people in forums (mainly mtgsalvation) for years exploiting this nice loophole. If they change the card last minute, it's not their fault people were stoked for a spoiler. They didn't do it.

Hell, they still do it every other expansion. I'm pretty sure they even use it as an early beta system for design, leak a potentially very powerful card and wait for people to mention degenerate combos with it in the threads.

I guess it depends on how concrete the stuff mentioned here is. I'm assuming it's at least concrete enough that if a group of MPQ extremists broke into D3 and demand they deploy this new content immediately or they blow everyone up then we'll see something deployed. Sure the characters might be broken and the event might be buggy but something should be there, so why go through such pains to hide it? Now if it turns out this is all something someone wrote on the back of a napkin somewhere and no physical form of these characters/events exist anywhere, then why even mention it? I'm also assuming that whoever leaked this stuff isn't some kind of super ninja hacker that secretly infilitrated D3 and was able to bring us information a guy wrote on the back of a napkin somewhere, though stranger things have happened in gaming than that.

Extremists, huh... What a terrible analogy.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    cover change incoming:
    CvpnwfF.jpg?1

That's a great cover for that character.
  • turul
    So there will be alliance-locking in this Ultron PVE.

Wonder what happens if:

- 20 player alliance starts Ultron event (all players).
    - 1 player leaves. ( he is still in event alliance )
    - 1 player joins and starts the event in this alliance. Will he be the 21th member for this PVE?

Will this be the obvious flaw of the month, which devs & playtesters forget to realize? icon_e_smile.gif

Other than that Deadpool's special will be able to kill Ultron.
  • turul wrote:

Wonder what happens if:

- 1 player joins and starts the event in this alliance. Will he be the 21th member for this PVE?

Will this be the obvious flaw of the month, which devs & playtesters forget to realize? icon_e_smile.gif

Since it's alliance locking the easiest way would be that you cannot have more than 20 guys assigned to your alliance's lifebar no matter who joins later. The new guy can err... cheer, or something. I'd assume they can make something like 'whales immunity' too if they want to, or just make it universal that the auto-kill part of whales do not work on any encounter designated as 'boss'. This would also allow them to stop having Deadpool on the final node in the Gauntlet since I'm pretty sure that's the only reason he shows up there often.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    turul wrote:

Wonder what happens if:

Since it's alliance locking the easiest way would be that you cannot have more than 20 guys assigned to your alliance's lifebar no matter who joins later. The new guy can err... cheer, or something. I'd assume they can make something like 'whales immunity' too if they want to, or just make it universal that the auto-kill part of whales do not work on any encounter designated as 'boss'. This would also allow them to stop having Deadpool on the final node in the Gauntlet since I'm pretty sure that's the only reason he shows up there often.

It sounded like the lifebar will go down with whoever hits it, but the lifebar will be tied with that alliance. So sure, one player could wipe out all their characters, leave (won't get rewards, future attacks on Ultron won't count towards old alliance's "Ultron life bar"), and a new player could come in with a fresh roster and wipe again. Only the current 20 would get rewards, or do damage. If you can find someone willing to swap in and out wiping their roster on Ultron over and over while not getting rewards for it...I guess that "scams" the system?

I think DP is on the final round of DPD for his "life of the party" ability - so when you come in with all your abilities you have to hit him first.
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    SnowcaTT wrote:

It sounded like the lifebar will go down with whoever hits it, but the lifebar will be tied with that alliance. So sure, one player could wipe out all their characters, leave (won't get rewards, future attacks on Ultron won't count towards old alliance's "Ultron life bar"), and a new player could come in with a fresh roster and wipe again. Only the current 20 would get rewards, or do damage. If you can find someone willing to swap in and out wiping their roster on Ultron over and over while not getting rewards for it...I guess that "scams" the system?

I think DP is on the final round of DPD for his "life of the party" ability - so when you come in with all your abilities you have to hit him first.

Even if a player leaves their alliance any attacks they do will still help their alliance.
    From the code: "You'll be cooperating with your current Alliance even if you later change Alliances"

I read this as once you start the event you will be working with that alliance even if you leave it. So an alliance could have 21 or even more players that are all working together (this and a few other reasons is why I think this PvE will be non-competitive...take that with a huge grain of salt, because I can not confirm that at all just seems to me that it will be)
  • ynglink wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Is it really that bad of a thing to have hype? Plenty of game try to sell upcoming features that didn't even exist, and I assume whatever was discussed is at least more substantial than that. Maybe you don't want to give out all the details and I understand that, but is it really going to harm the game to let people know a new PvE event is coming in a couple of months (I assume that's the fastest the new stuff could be coming looking at the scope of the spoilers)? I mean do you really expect people say, "How dare they try to add new dimension to PvE instead of just rerunning The Hunt again? This is an outrage I quit this game!"
    It's one thing to reveal spoilers with a "subject to change" clause, but when it's stuff that's months away, there is a solid chance the entire thing gets pushed back months, even a year. That makes people really pissed off, if it's done by the company that publishes the game. If a user does it, then maybe he's wrong, maybe he revealed something that wasn't meant to be hyped, who knows.

MTG cards were leaked to random people in forums (mainly mtgsalvation) for years exploiting this nice loophole. If they change the card last minute, it's not their fault people were stoked for a spoiler. They didn't do it.

Hell, they still do it every other expansion. I'm pretty sure they even use it as an early beta system for design, leak a potentially very powerful card and wait for people to mention degenerate combos with it in the threads.
    The last part is wrong. They don't tend to do changes to cards like that in MTG due to the sets being designed and developed 2-3 years in advance before the release of the set. However a good example of how hype can be a bad thing, a while back (New Phyrexia I believe) the entire set got leaked a couple months in advanced. It was known as the "God Book" as it just had to be translated for all the cards. Granted some of the translations were not completely accurate, but you get the gist.
    I know of two cards in this Tarkir block that were changed two weeks before they were first spolied. Now granted, they weren't posted anywhere, just shown to a group of pro players (2 of which are past PT winners), and the changes were relatively minor (both a point off power/toughness) but the same logic applies.

They started doing this around the time Cawblade rose to the top of every major tournament.
  • xx1293x wrote:
    :
    icon_lukecage.pngicon_cyclops.pngicon_ms_marvel.pngicon_colossus_new.pngicon_caroldanvers.pngnone.pngyellowtile.pngredtile.pngblacktile.png ---- bluetile.pngpurpletile.pnggreentile.png

I Really hope Quicksliver fills in the other half of this table. Scarlet Witch too if you want but I'm guessing she's Blue Green Red.
  • turul
    So here is 2* Cyclops, which has two abilities which can select tiles to be destroyed, giving him quite nice board control.
    Cyclops (All-New X-Men)
    Known Colors: redflag.pngblueflag.pnggreenflag.png
    Scott Summers led the five original X-Men in the early days of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. An idealistic young mutant, he often struggles with the enormity of his own power. Facing the growing threat of the Mutant Revolution, spearheaded by today's Cyclops, Dr. Hank McCoy brought the teenage Scott forward in time to protect human-mutant relations by confronting his future self.

Optic Blasts
    Cyclops fires his optic blasts through the battlefield, striking his target and destroying anything in his way. He destroys a random row of tiles and deals ??? damage to the target enemy. Does not generate AP.

Ricochet Blast
    Cyclops analyzes his surroundings and angles his next blast perfectly; it ricochets across the battlefield, striking his targets one by one. Destroys ??? selected basic tiles and deals ??? damage to the target. Does not generate AP.

Take Cover
    Desperate to protect his team, Scott loses his composure. He demolishes a nearby structure, giving his teammates cover behind the rubble. Transforms ??? selected basic Green tiles into protect tiles of strength ???, and destroys 4 surrounding tiles in an X pattern. Does not generate AP.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    So here is 2* Cyclops, which has two abilities which can select tiles to be destroyed, giving him quite nice board control.
    Nice!

With the current price of roster spot, there is no room for everyone - especially for 2* characters - in my roster. So the question is: will 2* Cyclops earn his place? icon_twisted.gif
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    DrNitroman wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Nice!

With the current price of roster spot, there is no room for everyone - especially for 2* characters - in my roster. So the question is: will 2* Cyclops earn his place? icon_twisted.gif

I am guessing 4200 HP....so maybe.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    DrNitroman wrote:
    turul wrote:
    Nice!

Definatly for at least 1 week. After that he might get the boot to the curb for the next 3/4* character.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    wymtime wrote:
    Definatly for at least 1 week. After that he might get the boot to the curb for the next 3/4* character.
    You're right, he'll be an essential for the following week!
    but after that he will probably have to leave to make room for
    icon_evil.gif Ultron ! icon_twisted.gif
  • SnowcaTT wrote:

If you're already alliance locking players then you might as well take the next logical step and make sure no more than 20 players can contribute to one common lifebar. Yes it sounds pretty far fetched to find a bunch of guys that aren't in any alliances (because if they are they'd already be tied to some other alliance's lifebar) just come in and out to pump up your alliance's score but most of the crazy stuff we see related to alliances in PvP started with the same 'who could be so crazy to do that?' assumption too. If you give people a way to game the system they'll do it if the prize is good enough so you might as well be thorough.

I can't imagine the alliance-shared lifebar stuff not being competitive. It'd be pretty easy to rank them as it'd either be fastest to defeat Ultron or most damage done to Ultron wins and it's at least pretty straightforward and either way it could be pretty intense but interesting. But maybe they can shift the rewards like make the alliance reward mostly iso/token/HP and make the covers go for progression in terms of how much damage done.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    New Scott sounds cool, but I'm not sure why the optic blasts can't have the row be selected. I thought the same thing about Rag's column destroy. It would make it a lot more useful for targeting cds and specials without "breaking" anything.

The Ricochet is such an obvious power that I can't believe the mechanic hasn't been used already. Is there anyone else I'm forgetting that has selectable tile destroy or is it just selectable tile convert for the others? Sounds like a fun mechanic that adds to the "puzzle" element in terms of planning on how things will fall after the tiles are destroyed.
  • udonomefoo wrote:
    New Scott sounds cool, but I'm not sure why the optic blasts can't have the row be selected. I thought the same thing about Rag's column destroy. It would make it a lot more useful for targeting cds and specials without "breaking" anything.

The Ricochet is such an obvious power that I can't believe the mechanic hasn't been used already. Is there anyone else I'm forgetting that has selectable tile destroy or is it just selectable tile convert for the others? Sounds like a fun mechanic that adds to the "puzzle" element in terms of planning on how things will fall after the tiles are destroyed.

Unconditional tile destruction is very expensive in MPQ because otherwise there wouldn't be much point to use CD abilities in the first place if the enemy can cheaply remove it no matter where the CD is.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Is there anyone else I'm forgetting that has selectable tile destroy or is it just selectable tile convert for the others?
    Moonstone can destroy the selected basic tile (just one and get AP for it), unless she can't. icon_lol.gif If there are suitable special tiles on board, she swaps them with the tile selected instead.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Phantron wrote:
    udonomefoo wrote:

Unconditional tile destruction is very expensive in MPQ because otherwise there wouldn't be much point to use CD abilities in the first place if the enemy can cheaply remove it no matter where the CD is.
    The best example is gsBW redflag.png Pistols and greenflag.png Sniper Rifle, and yes, people generally hate them (for PvP) because they are very expensive and the AI wastes the potential of such powers. (Most players probably waste their potential too, based on how much they say they dislike them.) It's a bit of a return to 2013 MPQ and fitting for the 2* tier, which is kinda stuck in the past, anyway. But I love such puzzle-y powers, so I'm very happy about 2* Cyke and KK's purpleflag.png ability. For Puzzles!
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    I think 2* Cyc will be decent as a 2*. Board shaking is extremely effective and I had forgotten that until recently. I've been bringing XForce, Cmags, Loki into the PvE and they board shake on every color (Xforce yellow if matched) and it has saved my butt many many times. I will open a spot for him but I suspect that when QS drops I'll be kicking him to the curb but for a 2-3* transition he may actually be a good damage dealer.
This discussion has been closed.