[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    It's like you guys didn't watch the video. Spoilering things this much can get the developers in trouble. Huge trouble. Pepperidge farm remembers times when we didn't have any upcoming information and hints, and it was fine.
    When things get spoilered in full a day or two before release, it must be alright. Months ahead? Not cool. Not cool at all.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Did only I was smart enough to copypaste the content? icon_e_smile.gif

- removed since greentext decision -
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    Did only I was smart enough to copypaste the content? icon_e_smile.gif

- removed since greentext decision -

Thank you, I really do appreciate it. I only worry about it simply because they did remove it twice. If they just wanted to spoiler tag it, they probably would have, but I send a message to a couple of red names to see what they wanna do and what's okay and all that fun stuff. Which is actually kinda annoying, because I'd love to see that whole post. icon_lol.gif
  • I thought IceIX's problem was that the new guy didn't put that information in this thread and started his own thread though I do think it's pretty suspicious since he could've just moved the material to this thread too. In today's world you can't blame fans for spoiling stuff that you didn't secure. If any of this material is sensitive stuff it should at least be encrypted. Honestly it shouldn't even be in the game because there's really no reason why the client has to know any of the detail of an event that isn't even happening yet if it's supposed to be super secretive. From what I can tell most games includes information of later stuff to both lighten the load needed later and to have some time to observe if the new stuff somehow blew everything up. But that's a minor benefit and certainly not worth risking losing your license to the game if it's really that big of a deal. The client really only needs to know about the details of the super secret event when that super secret event is about to begin.
  • GothicKratos
    Better safe than sorry. icon_e_smile.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem probably was, that the new guy didn't follow the "etiquette" of the forums and the "status quo" of leaking information / not revealing too much. Pretty much what Pylgrim said:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Pretty sure that that user was banned because he was bluntly spoiling in advance months worth of content. Other leak-spoilers have been tolerated because they give out the spoilers in small doses and usually in cryptic ways. That whets players' appetites and keep them engaged and curious in between character releases. Spoiling it all at once may give us a big rush of excitement, followed by weeks and weeks of boredom as nothing unexpected or new happens.

The best thing the devs could do now is to share any information on the new story they feel appropriate...
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    SirPhobos wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:
    So, like, did you guys catch the spoilers that Ice locked down earlier or was I the only one?
    I did NOT, but I really wanted to! Grr...

I did, but I shouldn't have... now no more surprises for months! icon_eek.gif
    This being said, all this new stuff seems pretty exciting, especially for the potential new kind of event
    (hey! New game modes are more appealling, after all they are released at a way slower pace than new characters! icon_e_biggrin.gif )
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    In today's world you can't blame fans for spoiling stuff that you didn't secure. If any of this material is sensitive stuff it should at least be encrypted. Honestly it shouldn't even be in the game because there's really no reason why the client has to know any of the detail of an event that isn't even happening yet if it's supposed to be super secretive. From what I can tell most games includes information of later stuff to both lighten the load needed later and to have some time to observe if the new stuff somehow blew everything up. But that's a minor benefit and certainly not worth risking losing your license to the game if it's really that big of a deal. The client really only needs to know about the details of the super secret event when that super secret event is about to begin.

It's not like D3 can put the kabosh on pages they don't control....like say facebook groups or wiki pages. I'm surprised folks just don't take anonymity and post this information elsewhere.

Oh, wait....did I just give someone an idea? icon_e_wink.gif
  • DrNitroman wrote:
    I did, but I shouldn't have... now no more surprises for months! icon_eek.gif

If it's any consolation, none of those are surprises. It's essentially the "Here are the most obvious characters to come out in the next few months" list. Ant-Man wasn't on it, but I'd guess we'll get him when his movie comes out, and a Purple Man and Jessica Jones (either as herself or as - was it "Jewel?") when her series comes out next year.

I suspect that - if there's a character release that ties into Secret Wars - that's the sort of thing Marvel would get upset about. Or if the "secret" characters Julia Delpy and Linda Cardellini are playing in Age of Ultron got spoiled that way (no I don't know who they are, though I have a few guesses).
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I think the truly shocking character revelation from the now-deleted spoilers was this:
    **** Beast (150% Beast-ier) ****

Mutagenic Follow-up -- 12 Blue AP

Hank has a breakthrough relating to his previous breakthrough, or something like that. Creates a 3-turn blue countdown tile that, when activated, drains another 12 blue AP from the player.
    Max Level: also drains 25 HP

Bull In A China Shop -- 8 Green AP

Hank really wants to help. Super serious about that. Really. Deals 50 damage to all enemies, and destroys 4 "random" tiles that just happen to be the player's best special tiles. If the player has no special tiles, destroys 4 "random" tiles in the player's strongest color. Does not generate AP.
    Max Level: also creates a 1-turn green countdown that activates Mutagenic Follow-up

Medical... Help, I Guess? -- (PASSIVE)

Dammit, Jim, Hank's a professor, not a doctor. This man needs surgery! Any time the player has 4 or more Yellow AP, creates a yellow 2-turn countdown tile that provides a burst of 6 health. Tile cannot overwrite special tiles, unless it's a player's tile. Cannot overwrite other Beast special tiles.
    Max Level: 4 health
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Well, everything Phantron and I posted is still here so I guess it was "approved."

These spoilers came at a perfect time. How many of your alliance chats were full of apathetic or pissed off people? I know mine was. The forums were boiling over and the new changes, while nice, were probably just coincidence. These all powerfull spoilers cheered my alliance up. Don't come here if you like waiting and suspense from your match-3 games.
  • David [Hi-Fi] Moore
    David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
    Hi all,

We definitely appreciate that knowing things in advance of official announcements can be fun and exciting. We do try to allow some leeway when it comes to spoiler-type content; keep posts in the spoiler threads, use spoiler tags, be cryptic, don't reveal too much. That sort of thing.

Info posted recently went over that (admittedly fluid) line and we've deleted some posts. When things that are still in planning stages and involve various parties (beyond D3) are mentioned, we may need to make some removals.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • Is it really that bad of a thing to have hype? Plenty of game try to sell upcoming features that didn't even exist, and I assume whatever was discussed is at least more substantial than that. Maybe you don't want to give out all the details and I understand that, but is it really going to harm the game to let people know a new PvE event is coming in a couple of months (I assume that's the fastest the new stuff could be coming looking at the scope of the spoilers)? I mean do you really expect people say, "How dare they try to add new dimension to PvE instead of just rerunning The Hunt again? This is an outrage I quit this game!"
  • Phantron wrote:
    Is it really that bad of a thing to have hype? Plenty of game try to sell upcoming features that didn't even exist, and I assume whatever was discussed is at least more substantial than that. Maybe you don't want to give out all the details and I understand that, but is it really going to harm the game to let people know a new PvE event is coming in a couple of months (I assume that's the fastest the new stuff could be coming looking at the scope of the spoilers)? I mean do you really expect people say, "How dare they try to add new dimension to PvE instead of just rerunning The Hunt again? This is an outrage I quit this game!"

I think the danger is that things don't come together when/how they are currently roadmapped. That can lead to frustration in a couple ways. People get unhappy now because they see something planned they don't like and/or people getting upset that something planned doesn't happen or is substantially changed. They have to manage expectations and that's real hard when plans that aren't finalized start getting leaked.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Is it really that bad of a thing to have hype? Plenty of game try to sell upcoming features that didn't even exist, and I assume whatever was discussed is at least more substantial than that. Maybe you don't want to give out all the details and I understand that, but is it really going to harm the game to let people know a new PvE event is coming in a couple of months (I assume that's the fastest the new stuff could be coming looking at the scope of the spoilers)? I mean do you really expect people say, "How dare they try to add new dimension to PvE instead of just rerunning The Hunt again? This is an outrage I quit this game!"
    It's one thing to reveal spoilers with a "subject to change" clause, but when it's stuff that's months away, there is a solid chance the entire thing gets pushed back months, even a year. That makes people really pissed off, if it's done by the company that publishes the game. If a user does it, then maybe he's wrong, maybe he revealed something that wasn't meant to be hyped, who knows.

MTG cards were leaked to random people in forums (mainly mtgsalvation) for years exploiting this nice loophole. If they change the card last minute, it's not their fault people were stoked for a spoiler. They didn't do it.

Hell, they still do it every other expansion. I'm pretty sure they even use it as an early beta system for design, leak a potentially very powerful card and wait for people to mention degenerate combos with it in the threads.
  • ark123 wrote:
    It's one thing to reveal spoilers with a "subject to change" clause, but when it's stuff that's months away, there is a solid chance the entire thing gets pushed back months, even a year. That makes people really pissed off, if it's done by the company that publishes the game. If a user does it, then maybe he's wrong, maybe he revealed something that wasn't meant to be hyped, who knows.

MTG cards were leaked to random people in forums (mainly mtgsalvation) for years exploiting this nice loophole. If they change the card last minute, it's not their fault people were stoked for a spoiler. They didn't do it.

Hell, they still do it every other expansion. I'm pretty sure they even use it as an early beta system for design, leak a potentially very powerful card and wait for people to mention degenerate combos with it in the threads.

I guess it depends on how concrete the stuff mentioned here is. I'm assuming it's at least concrete enough that if a group of MPQ extremists broke into D3 and demand they deploy this new content immediately or they blow everyone up then we'll see something deployed. Sure the characters might be broken and the event might be buggy but something should be there, so why go through such pains to hide it? Now if it turns out this is all something someone wrote on the back of a napkin somewhere and no physical form of these characters/events exist anywhere, then why even mention it? I'm also assuming that whoever leaked this stuff isn't some kind of super ninja hacker that secretly infilitrated D3 and was able to bring us information a guy wrote on the back of a napkin somewhere, though stranger things have happened in gaming than that.
  • GothicKratos
    I think the point is that the information is on a lot of works in progress - works in progress that are in progress with other parties that might nor appreciate that their hard work is just being put out there for consumption without their consent.
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    ark123 wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

The last part is wrong. They don't tend to do changes to cards like that in MTG due to the sets being designed and developed 2-3 years in advance before the release of the set. However a good example of how hype can be a bad thing, a while back (New Phyrexia I believe) the entire set got leaked a couple months in advanced. It was known as the "God Book" as it just had to be translated for all the cards. Granted some of the translations were not completely accurate, but you get the gist. People were super excited about certain cards, and then the rest of them people were just meh about. Interest during the official spoiler season went down, traffic on the main WotC page went down and overall it was just a bad experience. As a MTG player myself, I absolutely hate when they spoil all the good stuff at the beginning. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth basically, knowing that everything else they show off is going to be sub-par.

The way that it seems that D3 is ok with in terms of spoilers though is more akin to how WotC handled Conspiracy. The spoiler season on that was amazing, involving puzzles, ciphers, and just a lot of really cool ways to leak info. You had the entire community working on figuring out how to get the entire card to be revealed or that you had to type a specific thing in on a screen that had no text box. Interesting things that drove people to be excited.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    ynglink wrote:
    The way that it seems that D3 is ok with in terms of spoilers though is more akin to how WotC handled Conspiracy. The spoiler season on that was amazing, involving puzzles, ciphers, and just a lot of really cool ways to leak info. You had the entire community working on figuring out how to get the entire card to be revealed or that you had to type a specific thing in on a screen that had no text box. Interesting things that drove people to be excited.

All we get here are player made riddles, then 2 days before the character is revealed IceX puts up the "Unknown". Gee, so much excitement...
  • ynglink
    ynglink Posts: 195
    Ludaa wrote:
    ynglink wrote:

All we get here are player made riddles, then 2 days before the character is revealed IceX puts up the "Unknown". Gee, so much excitement...
    Yes, but they aren't also showing off 200-300 cards over a month's time. Kind of a different deal entirely.
This discussion has been closed.