[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    And star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png DOOM (Secret Wars) is VERY possible, given the upcoming series.

I think if we're to divine anything from this, it's that ALL of the viable characters on this list are 4* chars.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since the Character Name Wordfilter is on, working with upcoming character Kingpin, Should I test it on the remaining upcoming heroes? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • ronin_san
    turul wrote:
    Since the Character Name Wordfilter is on, working with upcoming character MrClean, Should I test it on the remaining upcoming heroes? icon_e_biggrin.gif

Resounding yes.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like it is not in work for them, since I can see their names properly in several threads. (Not tested all though)

Here is the who's next image, if you are lazy to visit http://www.marvelpuzzlequest.com/

O5TAMbX.jpg?1
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Aunt Mae...the first 5* icon_e_wink.gif
  • Yeah, I get that its the 1st of July. Some of that art is by a Demiurge artist and most of it isn't. And what is in house art may all be from abandoned projects.

Ego the Living Planet is a confirmed 10 star.png, though.

Does that mean they'll later release a lazy 5 star.png version called Id the Selfish Moon?
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    Looks like it is not in work for them, since I can see their names properly in several threads. (Not tested all though)

Here is the who's next image, if you are lazy to visit http://www.marvelpuzzlequest.com/

O5TAMbX.jpg?1

Does that image mean all of those characters are upcoming?
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arondite wrote:
    Does that image mean all of those characters are upcoming?

Maybe. I know that the Wolverine variant was shown on Facebook promoting an in game event in December 2013 and he still hasn't been released. And Iron Patriot has been on the loading screen since launch.
  • I feel confident that at least one of these is an upcoming character. MAYBE a few, but the rest are them yanking us on April 1st.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 693 Critical Contributor
    spccrain wrote:
    Aunt Mae...the first 5* icon_e_wink.gif

Comes back to life more often than Phoenix.
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    Boy I sure hope it's 1* Bumblebee Wolvie lol
  • ronin_san
    spccrain wrote:

I'm hoping for Secret Wars Doom. GoTG Iron Man has to be AAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAZING or I'll avoid collecting him out of spite. I've plunged enough ISO into IM's in this game. So similarly with Wolverine.
  • ronin-san wrote:
    spccrain wrote:

I'm hoping for Secret Wars Doom. GoTG Iron Man has to be AAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAZING or I'll avoid collecting him out of spite. I've plunged enough ISO into IM's in this game. So similarly with Wolverine.

I doubt we'll see another Doom for the same reason that Silver Surfer, Thing, and Mr. Fantastic weren't even in the picture, despite being probably the most prominent missing characters (with the possible exception of a handful of X-Men). The Doom pic was an easy reskin of existing assets (and quite possibly one of the cancelled characters).
  • Square
    Square Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I doubt we'll see another Doom for the same reason that Silver Surfer, Thing, and Mr. Fantastic weren't even in the picture, despite being probably the most prominent missing characters (with the possible exception of a handful of X-Men). The Doom pic was an easy reskin of existing assets (and quite possibly one of the cancelled characters).
    I really would have thought that Cyclops and Professor X would have been the end of the 'Marvel wants to sit out all Fox licensed characters' business, but apparently not. It will take a fifth Fantastic Four character (after IW, DD, and two HT) to appease this idea, despite the movies' failures, the comics' failures, cartoon failures.... Why doesn't D3 promote Marvel's least popular legacy characters more?!
  • Square wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I really would have thought that Cyclops and Professor X would have been the end of the 'Marvel wants to sit out all Fox licensed characters' business, but apparently not. It will take a fifth Fantastic Four character (after IW, DD, and two HT) to appease this idea, despite the movies' failures, the comics' failures, cartoon failures.... Why doesn't D3 promote Marvel's least popular legacy characters more?!

The rumor - and the memos that have circulated - have always specifically been about the Fantastic Four. And this idea that Fantastic Four was selling that badly is garbage; it was slightly behind X-Men in sales in 2014. The idea was never that Marvel was sitting out Fox, it was the Fantastic Four. And until something, anything related to the Fantastic Four comes out that Marvel would have had to approve after the middle of last year, it's looking more and more like it's true.

Marvel knows it isn't getting the X-Men back. Marvel has a very good chance that it will get the Fantastic Four back. That's why the blackout is solely about the Fantastic Four.
  • Square
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Marvel knows it isn't getting the X-Men back. Marvel has a very good chance that it will get the Fantastic Four back. That's why the blackout is solely about the Fantastic Four.
    I've sort of done this with you already, so I won't go too deep, but Matt Fraction was a top Marvel writer who wrote FF and couldn't sell it. Then they scored James Robinson to write it (and equal get to JRjr drawing Superman), and it still didn't sell. If there is no more FF after Secret Wars III, I'll start to buy the paranoia. But I expect a relaunch, since it has been cancelled so so many times (because it's unpopular), and relaunched each time after that.

But four characters in MPQ seems enough to say the FF wasn't verboten, from my perspective.

The memos that FF wasn't to be on posters in Disney stores/general Marvel promotion? Believable, since they aren't a part of Disney's big plan. That the comic should be Annihilated since it has any effect on profits? Far fetched. Publishing is a small niche for Disney. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Thing in the next year. I wouldn't be surprised not to see him either, since he simply isn't that popular. About equal to Colossus at this point.
  • Square wrote:
    I've sort of done this with you already, so I won't go too deep, but Matt Fraction was a top Marvel writer who wrote FF and couldn't sell it. Then they scored James Robinson to write it (and equal get to JRjr drawing Superman), and it still didn't sell. If there is no more FF after Secret Wars III, I'll start to buy the paranoia. But I expect a relaunch, since it has been cancelled so so many times (because it's unpopular), and relaunched each time after that.

But four characters in MPQ seems enough to say the FF wasn't verbote

The four characters (really three) was before the ban went into effect.

Most recent sales figures (February) here:
    http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicss ... 15-02.html

You'll see Fantastic Four is in 57th place with 32,302 copies sold. That puts it ~27th among Marvel U books, ahead of ~45 of them, including X-Men and Amazing X-Men. Not one of its top books, but also nowhere near something like Ghost Rider (in 169th with 12,490).

This idea that FF's sales figures were terrible simply isn't true. They weren't great, but they were better than several books in no danger of cancellation (like several of the X-books), and weren't cancellation-level figures. These numbers are available and it's more of a stretch to say this was a sensible business decision than to believe all the memos and stories that have leaked out about Marvel trying to kill the new movie.

Toy fare came and went and there was nothing related to the Fantastic Four rights. Contests of Champions was brought out, and the same thing. The book is being cancelled despite decent sales. It's not paranoia, and it's not something invented. News stories came out saying there was a licensing ban, an artist released a memo saying the characters were off-limits, and literally nothing has been approved since mid-last year.
  • Square
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    snip
    Sales below All-New and Uncanny, and the other X-books are on the chopping block and not so likely in the future (can there be five X-Books a month plus spin-offs and solos forever?). Ghost Rider is already cancelled as of issue 12. They tried, it failed, it's cancelled. Those stats aren't to be wholly trusted either, since they don't reflect growing digital sales.

Anyway, you have your heart set on the narrative (your forum name is Ben Grimm!) so I don't expect to convince you of much. But the idea that a comic selling less than 100,000 could in any way affect a movie's success seems unbelievable to me. Blade was successful, it didn't have a comic. Daredevil flopped, it had a reputable comic. Comics are a super small niche market. You put too much weight on the Marvel publishing division. They are small.
  • Square wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    snip
    Sales below All-New and Uncanny, and the other X-books are on the chopping block and not so likely in the future (can there be five X-Books a month plus spin-offs and solos forever?). Ghost Rider is already cancelled as of issue 12. They tried, it failed, it's cancelled. Those stats aren't to be wholly trusted either, since they don't reflect growing digital sales.

Anyway, you have your heart set on the narrative (your forum name is Ben Grimm!) so I don't expect to convince you of much. But the idea that a comic selling less than 100,000 could in any way affect a movie's success seems unbelievable to me. Blade was successful, it didn't have a comic. Daredevil flopped, it had a reputable comic. Comics are a super small niche market. You put too much weight on the Marvel publishing division. They are small.

Actually, I think the comic being cancelled is the least important part of this. The fact that literally nothing is being licensed, despite the movie coming out, is the important one. And it's much easier to believe simply that the reports are true, and that the memo wasn't forged, than that there's some massive conspiracy to think that this is what's going on. Plus, it simply fits the facts better. The idea that Marvel hasn't issued a licensing freeze on the FF is more of a stretch than that it has.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I totally agree with Ben here. Marvel is very clearly sandbagging the FF, presumably to diminish the value of the cinematic rights so that they can reacquire them. Once that happens, I think you'll see the FF return with a vengeance. They're highly recognizable for the average fan -- certainly on par with the X-Men -- and if you can sand off some of the rough edges (i.e. the origin story, which is so of-its-time that it would need a complete reworking to be non-laughable for modern audiences), it stands to be a bedrock franchise.

Also, it's becoming increasingly clear that Marvel is abandoning all hope of reacquiring the X-Men with respect to movies/television. If you watch Agents of SHIELD, you can see how the Inhumans backstory they're creating there is almost identical to the original X-Men backstory. I'm not sure how that's going to impact MPQ... but let's just say I'd expect to see Daisy Johnson in-game before I saw Nightcrawler.
This discussion has been closed.