[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    A follow-up: I do think that eventually the right key people at Marvel and Fox will figure out "hey, if we work together, we can make ALL OF THE MONEY!!!!!", and that will lead to some sort of X-Men vs. Avengers film. It makes too much sense.
  • Kinda like what Sony is doing with Spider-Man
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    I totally agree with Ben here. Marvel is very clearly sandbagging the FF, presumably to diminish the value of the cinematic rights so that they can reacquire them. Once that happens, I think you'll see the FF return with a vengeance. They're highly recognizable for the average fan -- certainly on par with the X-Men -- and if you can sand off some of the rough edges (i.e. the origin story, which is so of-its-time that it would need a complete reworking to be non-laughable for modern audiences), it stands to be a bedrock franchise.

Also, it's becoming increasingly clear that Marvel is abandoning all hope of reacquiring the X-Men with respect to movies/television. If you watch Agents of SHIELD, you can see how the Inhumans backstory they're creating there is almost identical to the original X-Men backstory. I'm not sure how that's going to impact MPQ... but let's just say I'd expect to see Daisy Johnson in-game before I saw Nightcrawler.

If they wanted to shove a
    potential fifth 4*
    into their wallet-scraping *edit*: this Summer */edit*, give me Blackbolt! (Referencing this spoiler-laden post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26832 )
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    dragma wrote:
    Kinda like what Sony is doing with Spider-Man

Well... yes and no. Spidey is tied in with a bigger picture issue that's a little more "industry" and less about comic book movies: Sony is (to put it bluntly) inept at the motion picture business. The Hollywood experiment for Sony, which began back when they bought Columbia from Coca Cola many moons ago, has been more or less a disaster. Spider-man (the Sam Raimi version) and its sequels were their only real self-developed super blockbuster successes. (They bought into the James Bond series by purchasing MGM.) They have lost copious amounts of money on ill-advised films over the years, and have gone through multiple leadership groups. (On the plus side, the Japanese side of the company has learned to leave the Hollywood people alone from a management perspective -- their attempt to apply Japanese practices to the studio back in the 90s was catastrophic. But I digress.)

To make a long story short, I think Sony realized it was pouring more and more money into the Spider-man reboot for less and less return on that investment, and that things didn't stand to improve. Rebooting the reboot would be a disaster. Staying with the Amazing Spider Man series would lead to $300m movies that might break even, maybe. So I think they decided to cut their losses. They'll let Marvel incorporate Spidey into their MCU, and take a cut of the profits. They're spared having to actually pay to make the films, but still enjoy some financial benefit. It's win-win for both sides, I think.

Fox, on the other hand, has zero incentive to part with the X-Men. Even the worst X-Men films make money hand over fist. Fox knows that if it spends $200m to make X-Men 4: Wolverine Gets Grumpy Again, it'll make $500m in worldwide box office, plus merchandizing. Even if it's terrible. They're never letting go of those rights voluntarily. They might, however, see the wisdom of a co-production that juices up their franchise even more; enabling them to go out and make characters who aren't Wolverine into stand-alone properties, which makes them even more money. That's a reasonable outcome for everyone involved.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    So, like, did you guys catch the spoilers that Ice locked down earlier or was I the only one?
  • Ludaa wrote:
    So, like, did you guys catch the spoilers that Ice locked down earlier or was I the only one?

I did NOT, but I really wanted to! Grr...
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:

Yeah, I saw. I'm actually a fan of
    -a, the upcoming releases
    -b, the outright spoilers / sharing of information as opposed to puzzles and riddles.

It's not that I think the effort is wasted on the puzzles and whatnot, I actually think it's cool that they put in that sort of effort and time and that users are willing and able to put in the time and effort to complete them. I just personally prefer to have the information as I'm not really a puzzle guy myself. Shame he was punished for that.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Spoiler alert:

- Demiurge will be releasing new characters.
    - Demiurge will be (super slowly) releasing new events.

Par for the course.

There is one aspect of the event that piques my curiosity. We'll see how well it's implemented.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    Yep, love the upcoming releases. I love even more the possible new event they've designed.

I hate that it takes a raging forum and a player digging through code to give us good news these days. I don't understand why they hold their cards so close. Is there some rival superhero match 3 game that wants to steal us away? Maybe it's a work in progress, just put the darn asterisk in the post!

I won't spoil it here, I think we've now seen what happens when someone tries to muscle in on Turul's territory! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Xeonic-Ice
    Xeonic-Ice Posts: 176
    Ludaa wrote:
    I won't spoil it here, I think we've now seen what happens when someone tries to muscle in on Turul's territory! icon_e_smile.gif

Pretty sure that the only reason those spoilers got killed was because he made two separate threads in the wrong areas instead of just adding them here. Unfortunately, I missed what those spoilers were. icon_cry.gif
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Come ooooon, somebody spill the beans! You (probably) won't get banned for it. Maybe. Probably.
  • The other thread had some new characters which I didn't bother remembering what they did (it's impossible to tell whether someone's any good when an ability costs an unknown amount of AP while doing ??? damage). The more interesting stuff is the new PvE event:
    Looks like there will be an Ultron event where you have to fight against a common lifebar across your alliance, so any damage done is accumulated to the boss whether you win or lose (I guess you're supposed to expect to lose, a lot). This also gets rid of the merc issue since it doesn't matter if you did 3 billion damage to the boss and then leave your alliance, your new alliance isn't going to get credited for that. One thing I noticed is that Ultron Prime has passive: unstunnable. It's probably inevitable that any 'boss' character has to have this ability for the game to make any sense. Reading the abilities that Ultron and his minions get I don't think you're even supposed to expect to win even if he has a player-level lifebar because half of the stuff read like passive: kills everyone.
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    I saw the spoilers and while I have no issue with the upcoming characters I just dislike how (with the exception of one) they are so heavily focused with cross promotion. It wouldn't surprise me if there are going to be more back-to-back(to-back) releases to get them all in on time.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Missed the spoilers, which means I have to *sigh* dig into the code again. Last time I did that was to find out PX, Kingpin, Kamala, and another. I also wish we would just get straight "here is who is coming", even without abilities.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Since the threads were deleted because he didn't follow instructions, not because of the content, would someone recap for those of us that missed it?
  • eaise
    eaise Posts: 217 Tile Toppler
    I hate that someone ruined the fun of this thread. Guessing at hints (and appeasing the devs)
    That being said, since the information is already out I'll give my two cents.
    Two different Ultrons. Seems to me that one will be playable (Plus there is a comic cover listed for Ultron but not other non-playable characters such as Gorgon)
    Hopefully we'll have a while till his release
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    I read the whole detailed Spoiler post with intense scrutiny -- and I'm really, really excited to use and/or fight against those characters. icon_e_biggrin.gif Some very interesting new gameplay/tile-usage mechanics on a few of them.
  • I read the whole detailed Spoiler post with intense scrutiny -- and I'm really, really excited to use and/or fight against those characters. icon_e_biggrin.gif Some very interesting new gameplay/tile-usage mechanics on a few of them.

Can you put the details in a spoiler tag? I'm really curious about what's coming and I'm sure other would like that too.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Phantron, please delete all of your spoilers. If iceix wanted these known at this time, I'm pretty sure he would not have deleted them.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    ecir2002 wrote:
    I read the whole detailed Spoiler post with intense scrutiny -- and I'm really, really excited to use and/or fight against those characters. icon_e_biggrin.gif Some very interesting new gameplay/tile-usage mechanics on a few of them.

Can you put the details in a spoiler tag? I'm really curious about what's coming and I'm sure other would like that too.

I'm gunna ask we don't do this yet. I moved Phantron's post somewhere it's not readable, but I didn't delete it. I wanna check with IceIX/HiFi to see if it's considered "too much". I don't see anything in the post that is a Marvel-centric leak (except for maybe one thing), so I don't think it will be an over-arching problem, but please have some patience and bear with me (or PM Phantron icon_lol.gif).

Hopefully I can get back to you guys tomorrow afternoon, 'cause I agree it some really exciting stuff.
This discussion has been closed.