[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    A) You lock enemy special tiles to neutralize them
    B) You put bubbles next to enemy special tiles to destroy them
    C) You destroy locked tiles created by other characters (???)
    A would then imply you don't want to use green until the owner is dead, right? And B&C requires a good deal of luck, since you're only destroying 3 of 8 tiles. I guess you could completely surround a special tile you're hell-bent on destroying, but that seems really inefficient. I was really hoping for a total rework... I guess we'll just see how it plays out.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    turul wrote:
    A) You lock enemy special tiles to neutralize them
    B) You put bubbles next to enemy special tiles to destroy them
    C) You destroy locked tiles created by other characters (???)
    A would then imply you don't want to use green until the owner is dead, right? And B&C requires a good deal of luck, since you're only destroying 3 of 8 tiles. I guess you could completely surround a special tile you're hell-bent on destroying, but that seems really inefficient. I was really hoping for a total rework... I guess we'll just see how it plays out.

Yes, If they are smart, they do a more exciting rework
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    So her powers had minor changes. Looks like theye are tweaking AP costs down, but they had to remove AP generation to avoid infinity turns.

That's it?? oh, Demiurge -_- I suppose I was too optimistic in hoping for as radical a complete do-over as X-Force enjoyed.

Will still reserve judgement until officially announced.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    I can see using locked tiles to shut down IF from making a fresh attack tile or Cage's protect tile.

If her green actually dealt real damage and blue cost dropped a little, I could see her as a sniper deterrent as you try to work a board with a ton of locked tiles.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't had a chance to use her (I have 3 green covers only), but I don't really understand why I'd want to lock 8 chosen tiles. Just seems to me like there would be a very small set of situations where that would be helpful. If the enemy is not a special tile generator then it seems pointless. Even if I'm using a special generator, what are the chances I have 8 specials on the board at once other than a couple (Falcon, MoStorm).
  • brysonian
    brysonian Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    I believe the lock down also neutralizes the tiles so you would want to lock down enemy tiles. Maybe Luke cage jab jab cross could be helpful locked down.
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    So if they're basically just keeping her the same, except for changing AP input/output, I have a stupid question: how are you supposed to use her abilities? I would've assumed that blue is to lock your own special tiles that you don't want to get destroyed, but then green goes ahead and creates cascades around them, which give a good chance of destroying them. I don't see how these go together.

IW is a very old char design. Like many of the old char designs that were intended to be high-powered (original xforce, hulk, punisher), the game has developed and moved far beyond them.

Several toons have been brought up to speed. Even retroactively; they put out a new improved "gold" Daken, before they updated the original Daken, even though "gold"s are supposed to be perma-buffed versions of existing characters.

IW needs more than just a stat tweak. Those bubbles, if they must be stuck with (soapy!) ought to be targetable. Now THAT would be desirable, unique, and real 4*!
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I was really hoping for a total rework... I guess we'll just see how it plays out.
    I hope they will hear you too.
    Of course a minor buff would be better than nothing and could make her playable... still, I'd like something exciting icon_e_smile.gif
  • DrNitroman wrote:
    turul wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    I was really hoping for a total rework... I guess we'll just see how it plays out.
    Of course a minor buff would be better than nothing and could make her playable... still, I'd like something exciting icon_e_smile.gif
    If they have her in the works it is possible that they just put that in the notes and they are still tweaking her. Look at prof and rags. They are totally different from what turul posted in the past.
  • turul
    ecir2002 wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    turul wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    If they have her in the works it is possible that they just put that in the notes and they are still tweaking her. Look at prof and rags. They are totally different from what turul posted in the past.

Rags only got reworded from what I posted, but technically was the same. However, its true, change is possible, like with ProfX
  • jtmagee
    jtmagee Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    Part of it all is how everyone on the forums responds to how the game is played, as well. So when people are writing about what they like and don't like, the programmers and whoever else will read these notes and take everything into consideration. Granted, they have definitely **** up with changing IF so soon after his release ("sorry not sorry"), but their goal should be to have options based off different ideas.

With IW, she is the only character who has bubbles. They realized how much health in relation plays a factor into a character. They are doing the right thing by dropping her AP cost. But I'd rather have a turn-ender gain AP and cost very little AP then continue the turn without gaining AP. They **** up Hood's Nerf like this. Oh well. It's still fun. Although **** does cost too much. Sales and sweepstakes can only do so much. Throwing everyone a bone once a month would be nice.

Overall, looking forward to seeing how they re-work her.

Turul, since you can see some stuff, have the characters for the future been fairly consistent with power cost to health? Or are we going to have a surprise with one of them where everyone is going to want to play for that character where they just beast both?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I think the real buff to IW needs to be improving the locked tile mechanic. It's very buggy and doesn't have a good use with friendly special tiles, since it inactivates them. I've even heard that locking Cage's protect tile causes another one to spawn the next turn. That is a bug as far as I'm concerned and needs to change.

My idea would be to make her bubbles inactivate enemy specials, while protecting and keeping friendly specials active. I'd make it so it it automatically targets random specials, because the AI doesn't know how to use them. I don't think that anyone finds locking basic tiles useful, but that is how the AI currently uses it.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    E) You lock friendly tiles to make them non-existent. buggy/inconsistent (Lets you build more spider-sense shield, but no Luke Cage passive, or no Mystique double-shapeshift) (I bug-reported this but unable to find it?)

Last time I checked, locking out Cage's protect Tile meant he created a new one on the next turn. This was in R71/72.
    udonomefoo wrote:
    I haven't had a chance to use her (I have 3 green covers only), but I don't really understand why I'd want to lock 8 chosen tiles.

In addition to what others have said, you could also use this to lock out (almost) all of a particular colour.

As for the current proposed changes, I agree that it seems disappointing. It's a bit hard without seeing AP costs, but unless they're all 5 AP or less then I don't see any point in levelling up someone for those abilities in their current state.
  • turul
    Mawtful wrote:
    turul wrote:
    E) You lock friendly tiles to make them non-existent. buggy/inconsistent (Lets you build more spider-sense shield, but no Luke Cage passive, or no Mystique double-shapeshift) (I bug-reported this but unable to find it?)

Last time I checked, locking out Cage's protect Tile meant he created a new one on the next turn. This was in R71/72.

true, looks like I missed noticing the IW-protect-tile created disabling friendly Luke's passive.
  • I'm not feeling the IW overhaul; sounds like they need a lot more work. I HATE all of these powers being suggested.

Yellow. How is this possibly balanced relative to Prof X purple? Super expensive shields that can barely be used and whose only purpose is to pull out a last second win if you are losing badly. How often are you losing badly and have that much AP? If you have that much AP - using *any* other yellow is situationally better: thor/hood/fury/IM40/xforce all have a yellow that might actually win the game for you. Who like invulnerability anyway - kick it off curb.

We want something like: 6AP, consumes 1 yellow AP a turn, creates a hefty shield whenever opponent uses an active power

Blue. Tile locking? Uggh - another obnoxious power. How about something like: 10AP, reset the entire board, add 1-4 countdowns that reduce damage 10% each as long as they are active

Green. Create 4 shield tiles in the center of board. Destroy 2 concentric circles around center of board doing damage for all tiles.
  • Turul - looks like IM40 is being rotated back in the packs. Any idea if they are fixing him upon return?
  • turul
    ecir2002 wrote:
    Turul - looks like IM40 is being rotated back in the packs. Any idea if they are fixing him upon return?

I have no idea about future fixes. IW was forecastable since they made another invisible character, and a tile-locker is also on the way.

I think Beast should come next, based on uselessness. Or they may release a buff-multipack, like the recent nerfing. That would be very Demiurge-like icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    turul wrote:
    Or they may release a buff-multipack, like the recent nerfing. That would be very Demiurge-like icon_e_smile.gif

Here's hoping. That would be nicely balanced, and even if over the top characters are more harmful to the game, buffing weak characters makes the fans happy.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    I'm surprised about the IW rework actually, Demiurge_Will said that reworks aren't a priority. People say they really want their characters to get buffed, but Demiurge doesn't see the excitement in the metrics that they use (that doesn't mean they are right). I think we'll see the characters like Hulk, gsBW, and IM40 be replaced by power-creeped characters that fill the same role. Look at Ms Shapeshifter, a lot of people are saying that she's gsBW without Pistols.
  • What if her bubble popping power did X-Force level dmg? How owuld people feel about that? It would be X-Force at the expense of arguably 16 AP.

I might level her up knowing that a buff IS on the way, and I have all the covers for her, but ONLY after I get Mags and Falcon done...
    - Unreall
This discussion has been closed.