[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    great post, DaveR4470.

Actually, Squirrel Girl does fit into exactly what you were talking about -- her character was released a few weeks before or after the first issue of her new ongoing series, which was promoted fairly heavily on comics news sites.

I actually didn't know that!

Also, don't get me wrong -- I actually like seeing people suggest obscure characters as possible new entries. A lot of the time, I say "huh... never heard of him/her", and it gives me another item on the list of stuff to go check out in Marvel Unlimited. (That's a very long list right now, unfortunately... I have a bit of a backlog. icon_e_smile.gif )
  • ^ I also remember WIll plugging the newer Electra comic when she was released
  • These next two characters seem much more obvious based off of the clues, but what eats at me is the possible selections vs what rarity they might be.

I know it's been discussed ad nauseum that rarity isn't directly supposed to be linked to the character's relative strength in relation to lore. However, it's difficult to argue against the notion that the 4* selections are either the most 'powerful' versions of that character (xforce), or some of the most resilient characters in the lore.

I, in agreement with some others in this thread, believe the game is long overdue for some more villians, especially 4* ones. Kingpin (if true) though, as the first 4* villian?

'Chaos and speed' could, if stretched paper thin, relate to some iteration of Norman Osborne, which would IMO be a more well received choice, but it's unlikely considering how other media is influencing previous selections.

Could we be looking at a break in the trend with these next two releases? We do have confirmation (right?) that the sharpshooter is a 2*...so i guess anything is possible.

This, however, brings up two questions:
    1) Have the recent character selections affected your frequency of play or desire to make transactions?
    2) If negatively, do you strongly relate this to their character selection strategy (433 trend, leveraging relevant media,etc)?

I know a character's kit plays another huge factor in this question, but since lore plays a big part in the selection of abilities, I asked the questions assuming the character's are playable enough to want to own them.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, the current 4/3/3/4 scheme is making me burned out. Especially because they are now "balanced" to be equal to threestars nowadays...
    3* feels better now, since they are cheaper - easier to level up.

But the game needs 4* villains, thats for sure.
  • Chaos and speed:
    best odds: quicksilver (since turul said no dual characters in the next clues, a la R&G; color or DFOP reference)

Well, that's weird, because chaos and speed represents two people: Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. She does chaos. He does speed.
  • turul
    The exact MPQ hints
    This month we explore the chaotic qualities of speed, crime and brute force.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Chaos and speed:
    best odds: quicksilver (since turul said no dual characters in the next clues, a la R&G; color or DFOP reference)

Well, that's weird, because chaos and speed represents two people: Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. She does chaos. He does speed.

It said chaotic qualities of, not chaos and speed.
  • turul
    edited March 2015
    So lets have a closer look on the IW updates

The Invisible Woman hides the weakest member of the team. Converts a random basic Yellow tile into an Invisibility tile. Also creates ??? Yellow Protect tiles of strength ???. (sorry, I told 1 protect tile earlier, I was wrong)
    more covers: increase in total shields / shield strength

Susan focuses her power to lock the enemy down and save the team. Locks ??? chosen basic tiles in Force Bubbles before creating a Blue Protect tile of strength ???.
    more covers: Can lock strike, protect, attack tiles
    more covers: Can lock any tile
    (and possible increase of lockable tiles / shield strength )

Invisible Woman shatters the tiles surrounding ??? random Force Bubbles. Does not generate AP. Each Force Bubble deals ??? damage and is unlocked (but not destroyed). If there are no Force Bubbles, she creates ??? in random locations.
    more covers: increases in bubbles shattered and increase in damage dealt.

The "speedy" character will also lock random tiles, or destroy them (no surrounding), passively.
    Other two abilities get cheaper for every locked tile on board (minimum 5 AP)
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    One of the things that sort of amuses me in this thread is people continuing to speculate on future character identity, but ignoring what I think is the obvious pattern that Demiurge has set up with respect to character introduction.

To me, this also signals that Marvel sees such tie up of comic-movie-game as the way forward.

And if they are doing this to MPQ, they probably see MPQ as a game with longevity (relative term, since in mobile gaming, 2 years is considered long).
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:

The Invisible Woman hides the weakest member of the team. Converts a random basic Yellow tile into an Invisibility tile. Also creates ??? Yellow Protect tiles of strength ???. (sorry, I told 1 protect tile earlier, I was wrong)

Susan focuses her power to lock the enemy down and save the team. Locks %NumTiles chosen basic tiles in Force Bubbles before creating a Blue Protect tile of strength %NumStr.

Invisible Woman shatters the tiles surrounding ??? random Force Bubbles. Does not generate AP. Each Force Bubble deals ??? damage and is unlocked (but not destroyed). If there are no Force Bubbles, she creates ??? in random locations.

The "speedy" character will also lock random tiles, or destroy them (no surrounding), passively.

So the only change in power would be the protect tile with yellow invisibility ?
    I guess there will be also some changes in numbers?
    I hoped for a more fundamental change but I know that if her blue and green powers become less expensive she would become playable!
    This will be a great move

What surprizes me is that with an efficient blue ability (efficient force bubbles) IW could actually paralizes the board and more generally she would promote slower games, boring the enemies to death! I'm the kind of player who might want to play this sort of defensive fights sometimes icon_e_smile.gif ... but I wonder if Demiurge will be really happy with less nervous matches? icon_neutral.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just your usual PSA that they keep tweaking characters as the time goes all the way up to their release and they haven't even announced IW's rework. It may very well be over a week until they release it and many changes can happen in the interim.
  • DrNitroman wrote:
    turul wrote:

Susan focuses her power to lock the enemy down and save the team. Locks %NumTiles chosen basic tiles in Force Bubbles before creating a Blue Protect tile of strength %NumStr.

So the only change in power would be the protect tile with yellow invisibility ?
    I guess there will be also some changes in numbers?
    I hoped for a more fundamental change but I know that if her blue and green powers become less expensive she would become playable!
    This will be a great move

What surprizes me is that with an efficient blue ability (efficient force bubbles) IW could actually paralizes the board and more generally she would promote slower games, boring the enemies to death! I'm the kind of player who might want to play this sort of defensive fights sometimes icon_e_smile.gif ... but I wonder if Demiurge will be really happy with less nervous matches? icon_neutral.gif

Force Field Crush use to generate AP. The hope would be there is also a cost rebalance. Also Force Field Crush use to blow stuff up that seems to not be the case any more?
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Lerysh wrote:
    Force Field Crush use to generate AP. The hope would be there is also a cost rebalance. Also Force Field Crush use to blow stuff up that seems to not be the case any more?
    You're right about the potential AP generation, it's a benefit of this ability that I had forgotten
    Reading Turul, Force Field Crush still creates explosion around bubbles.
    turul wrote:
    Invisible Woman shatters the tiles surrounding ??? random Force Bubbles.
    I guess this means 'destroys the 9 tiles surrounding bubble tile'?
  • turul
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    You're right about the potential AP generation, it's a benefit of this ability that I had forgotten
    Reading Turul, Force Field Crush still creates explosion around bubbles.
    turul wrote:
    Invisible Woman shatters the tiles surrounding ??? random Force Bubbles.
    I guess this means 'destroys the 9 tiles surrounding bubble tile'?

yes, it destroys the surrounding 8 tiles, just as before, just without AP generation and without turn loss.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I might give three seconds of consideration to an IW rework if I really thought it would put her on par with X-Force or TGT, but she's never going to be anything more than another unplayable, gimmicky 4* like Star-Lord (all countdown tiles!) and Elektra (sneaky trap/strike tiles!). Either the gimmick works, like Xavier (all passive...ish!), or it doesn't. I just don't see a huge advantage to filling the board with bubbles no matter what the cost.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hope they've got plenty more changes to make, because she still doesn't look like she's going to be a strong character as is.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Given how many max covered but unused IW's there are languishing on veterans' rosters, I shudder to think at what happens to the game if she was suddenly given an XF-level buff. It's sure to be highly entertaining, though
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    So weird. Locked tiles were not what I imagined would represent a speedster. I guess they could be frozen in time compared to the speedster, but that doesn't feel right.

In any case, I'm hoping that Locked tiles are put to better use than originally intended. The Devs have much better uses for trap and invisibility tiles now compared to their introduction. I hope, at least, that is true of the speedster. I'm disappointed that they didn't update Grant Invisibility to allow you to choose the recipient (a la Fastball Special).
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    So weird. Locked tiles were not what I imagined would represent a speedster. I guess they could be frozen in time compared to the speedster, but that doesn't feel right.

In any case, I'm hoping that Locked tiles are put to better use than originally intended. The Devs have much better uses for trap and invisibility tiles now compared to their introduction. I hope, at least, that is true of the speedster. I'm disappointed that they didn't update Grant Invisibility to allow you to choose the recipient (a la Fastball Special).

If they are planning on releasing the speedster with IW rework, they might think of synergy of allowing you to instantly go from locked tiles to IW explosions. I would guess there will be further synergy between the two characters. Maybe speedster is low HP and a couple of strong attacks.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    bcas76 wrote:
    I might give three seconds of consideration to an IW rework if I really thought it would put her on par with X-Force or TGT, but she's never going to be anything more than another unplayable, gimmicky 4* like Star-Lord (all countdown tiles!) and Elektra (sneaky trap/strike tiles!). Either the gimmick works, like Xavier (all passive...ish!), or it doesn't. I just don't see a huge advantage to filling the board with bubbles no matter what the cost.

Yeah, that's disappointing because bubbles aren't any fun, and never really have been. Maybe they'll be cheap enough to be usable to destroy enemy special tiles. Or lock XF out of black anyway. Or maybe she's just supposed to be the "Oh God No, I'm not spending 15 minutes on one fight" character on defense.

Anyway, wrong place to talk about it. I've brought up a similar sentiment in her thread.

The dude has to be Quicksilver. How many speedsters does Marvel even have? It could be another two-person duo like Grocket but that seems silly (and QS is not really 4* material like SW can be).

I thought we all decided the sharpshooter was just 2* cyclops. Is that not what we think anymore? Hope he's a bit different than 3* (E.g as different as the two Carol Danverses)
This discussion has been closed.