[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• simonsez wrote:
    The Devs will happily remind you that # of *s in no way reflects power level, but rather rarity in game.
    ... which would make them look really stupid if they are suggesting that 1s, 2s and 3s are all interchangeable in terms of their power level

Hey, just reminding the discussion of what the devs have said.

And I note you wisely omitted 4*s LOL

Apologies for the derail, but this isn't what the devs said. They said the comic book characters the various star levels are based on aren't necessarily meant to be different power levels (for example, all the different Wolverines are just Wolverine and Star-Lord isn't necessarily more powerful than Venom) but the in game characters' star ratings are absolutely meant to represent power level of the character ~in game~. (See the recent video talking about how there's a band of power they'd like all four-stars to sit in.)

OK, carry on!
  • KingOzymandius
    KingOzymandius Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2015
    Skygazing wrote:
    johnnyzero wrote:
    Skygazing wrote:
    Now with everyone else hopping on the hint train I'd like to contribute. As it stands everyone knows that we have a female shapeshifter coming. Namely, one with a power that creates green tiles. Many of you have guessed correctly, that much I will say. I've enjoyed seeing some of the more "out there" suggestions too. Understanding my post should help to clear things up though. Here's a clue to help you out.

Earnest heroes have their day. Some will go and some will stay. Through it all we persevere. Searching, waiting, for smoke to clear. Never do we wonder when it will end. It is a truth we must not offend. Rise above and search within. Chosen, puzzle-solving kin. Her shifting form is not the first. Still with the first you must converse. Every end you must disperse. The char you seek comes first in verse.

Anyone want to try and crack the riddle with me?

If you take the first letters of each sentence (of both paragraphs)...you end up with...

NANMIUH ESTSNIRCHSET

so that's a jumbled mess obviously, but some things jump out to me... Skygazer shortened the word Character to Char, and those letters are in there...

CHAR NNMIUHESTSNISET

Then right away I see THE and IS, So,

THE CHAR IS NNMUSSNIET

Hey, I see another word in there...

THE CHAR IS MISS NNUNET

...and that's where I'm stuck. If anyone figure out how to get from NNUNET to MARVEL we might have an answer!

Or, throw out the whole the char is business and take the anagrams separated by paragraph.

NANMIUH = INHUMAN

ESTSNIRCHSET = SECRETS HINTS

To clarify:
    You're getting close, but the anagram refers specifically to the name of the power that has been mentioned.

Inhuman Stretchiness

There, I solved it. Kamala Khan confirmed, I guess. I'm disappointed it's not a character with ... you know ... history in the Marvel U. who had a huge role in the events of Dark Reign. Emma Frost really should have been in since Day 1, but whatcha gonna do?

I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I really had my heart set on Emma Frost. Knew it wasn't going to be her since the D3 start-of-month teaser, but still.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that my dampened enthusiasm is due solely to the identity of the character. Love the spoiler thread turul, and love the little riddle/anagram you gave out Skygazing. Hope both of you continue, and I'll keep on checking back for any new info.

EDIT #2: Not the first one to solve it, apparently. TazFTW got the same answer some time before I did, but it was put in Spoiler tags so it's easy to miss scrolling through. Credit where credit is due.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Even if the clues all match up, that means that we got three versions of Ms. Marvel in less than a year, with a 2* and 3* version already in place. With the release of 4* Prof. X, the next character is most likely not to be one, and unless they remove the current 3*/2* version of MMrvl, then we have our first duplicate, before the release of numerous glaring popular choices.

No matter how good the clues match up, that doesn't make any business sense. Unless someone at D3 has got a massive crush on the character, and they killed every rational person in the company so they can continue to create and release MMRVL clones, it just doesn't seem likely...
    I really like Danvers and Kamala Khan. But it's probably less D3 crushing on the character, and more to do with 1) Kamala Khan's comic being popular and critically acclaimed and Marvel wants to promote that, and 2) Carol Danvers is currently planned to be in an MCU standalone movie in their schedule.

I'm guessing that a majority of releases are recommended by Marvel to cross-promote their comics and movies.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Trisul wrote:
    I'm guessing that a majority of releases are recommended by Marvel to cross-promote their comics and movies.

Which means we're less apt to see the likes of Cable unless we beg and plead, he gets a new comic series, or becomes the new fan favorite.

I don't mean Cable in general, obviously. But with Daredevil coming in about 3 weeks, and a lack of villains in MPQ, Kingpin is obviously due some publicity. So similarly would I expect Deathstrike or another Wolverine villain (can I get Sabretooth please) when his movie drops.
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    We go through this every other release, but overall, I think Demiurge is catering to:
    1) Nostalgic comic fans
    2) Current Marvel cinema fans
    3) Current comic fans
    4) non-Marvel fans

My 3 yr old knows most of the characters in this game. It's ok if not every one does, though. I like the diversity. And I think they are doing a good job of catering to all the people who play this game.
  • Im just hopin the next should be female
    Was thinkin emma frost or phoenix jean grey before professor x honestly for a 4* physic
  • Trisul wrote:
    Even if the clues all match up, that means that we got three versions of Ms. Marvel in less than a year, with a 2* and 3* version already in place. With the release of 4* Prof. X, the next character is most likely not to be one, and unless they remove the current 3*/2* version of MMrvl, then we have our first duplicate, before the release of numerous glaring popular choices.

No matter how good the clues match up, that doesn't make any business sense. Unless someone at D3 has got a massive crush on the character, and they killed every rational person in the company so they can continue to create and release MMRVL clones, it just doesn't seem likely...
    I really like Danvers and Kamala Khan. But it's probably less D3 crushing on the character, and more to do with 1) Kamala Khan's comic being popular and critically acclaimed and Marvel wants to promote that, and 2) Carol Danvers is currently planned to be in an MCU standalone movie in their schedule.

I agree with you, and even made a similar argument, but to both your points:

1) When you say popular, she's only really popular to real comic book nerds (like most of the folks in these threads). We make up probably less than 1% of 1% of 1% of pop culture, and perhaps a bit more of this game's population. If you looked on recent 'wish' lists, she's not very high on any of them.

2) Ms. Marvel's standalone movie is dropping in front of the Inhumans over 3 years from now.

By no means am I trying to be hyper critical about the game, or the producers, or the player base who likes the choice. It just seems kinda 'meh' considering who else is out there. Yet, if it's true, her release will pass, and we'll be on to talking about the next one in no time.

Unless she's super awesome, and breaks the meta...
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Trisul wrote:
    Also, I don't want to blow Ben's mind here, but....

If they do Ms. Marvel, could Lockjaw not be too far behind?

OH GOD YES PLEASE.

Unrelated side note: I just told my almost-3-year-old daughter a story last night about Lockjaw going to Cosmo the Space Dog's birthday party, on Mars. He then teleported to Kate Bishop's birthday party (by way of Attilan), because he forgot to tell Kamala where he was going, and she was upset. My daughter is cool but demanding....
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    If it is Kamala, I really hope that she has a power called "EMBIGGEN!" (I think it is Kamala, but the power named in the hint could apply to Medusa too)
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    If it is Kamala, I really hope that she has a power called "EMBIGGEN!"
    Sounds perfectly cromulent.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't been keeping tabs on this recently - anyone mind recapping the new hints or any actual reveals since the Rags information was leaked? <3
  • KingOzymandius
    KingOzymandius Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    edited March 2015
    I haven't been keeping tabs on this recently - anyone mind recapping the new hints or any actual reveals since the Rags information was leaked? <3

Sure thing. Here's a summary of what you might have missed.
    turul wrote:
    female shapeshifter
    sharpshooter
    spidey villain
    --- (shuffled order below) ---
    X-Men: Days of Future Past
    someone expected to be very high HP
    name including a color
    (bottom 3 are separate characters)

We also had the 4-Star "invisible" character that turned out to be Prof. Xavier.

The female Shapeshifter is pretty much guaranteed to be Kamala Khan, the new Ms. Marvel whose Inhuman ancestry has manifested in powers of shapeshifting, size-changing, and stretching. A teenaged Muslim girl from Jersey, she admired Carol Danvers and has taken up her old alias to begin her own superheroic career.

We were given a teaser for one of her powers that should allow the player to choose a tile and convert some number of like tiles to Green. It is believed that this power is named "Inhuman Stretchiness", as determined by a riddle/anagram given out by the user Skygazing.

As yet, we have little to no information regarding any of the other characters that turul has teased.

Following is the clue by Skygazing, if you're interested:
    Skygazing wrote:
    Now with everyone else hopping on the hint train I'd like to contribute. As it stands everyone knows that we have a female shapeshifter coming. Namely, one with a power that creates green tiles. Many of you have guessed correctly, that much I will say. I've enjoyed seeing some of the more "out there" suggestions too. Understanding my post should help to clear things up though. Here's a clue to help you out.

Earnest heroes have their day. Some will go and some will stay. Through it all we persevere. Searching, waiting, for smoke to clear. Never do we wonder when it will end. It is a truth we must not offend. Rise above and search within. Chosen, puzzle-solving kin. Her shifting form is not the first. Still with the first you must converse. Every end you must disperse. The char you seek comes first in verse.

And how the puzzle was solved:

1) johnnyzero figured out that the clue could be found by taking the first letters of each sentence and unscrambling them, but his first attempt at unscrambling everything went a little awry when he took all the letters and tried to make them into a sentence

2) whereisbatman then determined that the two paragraphs should remain separate, and that the letters from the first paragraph could be rearranged to spell "Inhuman"

3) Skygazing then clarified that we were on the right track, but that the clue was the name of one of the character's powers

4) I finished solving the puzzle by determining the second word to be "Stretchiness", which pretty much confirms the soon-to-be released "shapeshifting" character as the new Ms. Marvel.*

*Actually, I missed TazFTW solved the puzzle much earlier than I did, but put the answer in Spoiler tags which is why it's easy to miss. Skygazing also confirmed this as the correct answer, again in spoilers.

EDIT: Correcting a misspelled name.
  • dider152
    dider152 Posts: 263
    When new hints for new characters come through, can we either get new threads or have someone update the OP with info on new characters? This thread is a little bit confusing at the moment...
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    dider152 wrote:
    When new hints for new characters come through, can we either get new threads or have someone update the OP with info on new characters? This thread is a little bit confusing at the moment...

That would be too easy icon_e_smile.gif
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    dider152 wrote:

That would be too easy icon_e_smile.gif
    I totally understand your concern dider152 but for me it's in the contrary because this thread is kind of messy that it is fun! icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I mean whenever I come here I can resume the overall discussion about unknown future characters. Most of the guesses are pure fantasies but this way we respect the desire of the devs: we never completely spoil the identities of upcoming characters icon_razz.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    So after Khan here are my guesses
    Sharpshooter= Gambit
    High Health= King Pin. DareDevil comming out I think he is a given.
    Xmen days of future past= quicksilver.
    Spidey villian= some form of Norman Osborn
    Color in name: Scarlett Witch

My guesses are based on what Marvel is doing with Avengers and the Defenders. I can also see Black Bot comming out as well with the inhumans comming into the game. If Black bot comes in I think he would replace Norman Osborn since King Pin was originally a Spderman villian.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I hope you all enjoyed that last riddle, as I've come up with something new today.

The following puzzle will reveal more information regarding the upcoming character, provided you can solve it of course.

All I ask is that if you think you've figured it out that you spoiler tag what you discover.
    bQt08Pm.jpg
  • Loftus
    Loftus Posts: 79 Match Maker
    wymtime wrote:
    Sharpshooter= Gambit

As my favorite member of the x-men, i really hope so!

I do like how varied the characters that are added are. It goes between character i like, character i don't mind and character i haven't heard of pretty much, which is nice.

I had never heard of squirrel girl, or any of the guardians of the galaxy characters (haven't seen the film yet) but it's nice to be introduced to them through this game.

I like how some more obscure characters are added and a small group of players are really excited and eager to get them in their roster.

There are so, so many characters still available to include, and i'm excited for all of them! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Loftus wrote:
    ... guardians of the galaxy ... (haven't seen the film yet) ...

Say .... whaaaaaat?!?!?

This calls for a collection to be taken up. IMMEDIATELY.

Please let us know what we can do to help correct this deficiency, posthaste!
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Never heard of Khamala Khan until this thread, but after googling around a bit, she sounds very cool.
    Riddle = Space Pirate? (Guessing.) Nebula, maybe? Would she be a 2* sharpshooter?
This discussion has been closed.