[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    You can't see him, but Ego the Living Planet is hiding behind Nightcrawler in that picture.

So it's totally Ego the Living Planet.

icon_e_wink.gif
  • I agree Rogue or Nightcrawler (and that Sabretooth would be rad and is long overdue), but I think based on the recent polling, Nightcrawler is going to have come in high. And I'm not saying D3 is lazy, but knowing they're going to add a fan-favorite soon is a great time to take a poll so they'll look like they're being proactive and serving the players instead of advertising another movie. So bringing in Nightcrawler, while possibly already in the works, would now make it look like they are listening to the fans. Possibly part of their strategy. But maybe that's just negative me, over-analyzing me. I do have a conspiracy theorist side to me.

Still, enough with the 4*s... I'm tired of these weeklong grindfests. They're gonna burn out their players.
    popular characters will come during high play $$ periods...deadpool during october...Nightcrawler, gambit(they said gambit was weird rights wise, but not off the table or anything). I expect to see some big names during anniversary/Winter season
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Good call Mal on Jean being the anti-X.

I've got my fingers crossed we're getting Kurt, but I could see us getting a 4 star.png X-Force icon_psylocke.png
  • raisinbman wrote:
    popular characters will come during high play $$ periods...deadpool during october...Nightcrawler, gambit(they said gambit was weird rights wise, but not off the table or anything). I expect to see some big names during anniversary/Winter season

Deadpool was August, like August 1-2.

My suspicion, based on IceIX's comments on license rights, is that Marvel can't simply turn down a character (which they can with some of their licensees, apparently), but they can impose conditions. I think that, with characters licensed to other film studios, the devs need to get the approval of those studios. That would explain X-Men and Fantastic Four characters being complicated but doable (IceIX said there were more hoops to jump through for some of the characters). It would also explain why they can't get Namor properly licensed, though, as IceIX said - Universal controls Namor's film rights, but isn't interested in making a movie. As such, they're not going to have anyone in charge of licensing rights for him, and the devs would run into a wall trying to get their approval.

Note: that's a guess. I've been trying to figure out the licensing issues with this game for a while, and we got a bunch of new facts on it around when the Thing came out.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

Deadpool was August, like August 1-2.

My suspicion, based on IceIX's comments on license rights, is that Marvel can't simply turn down a character (which they can with some of their licensees, apparently), but they can impose conditions. I think that, with characters licensed to other film studios, the devs need to get the approval of those studios. That would explain X-Men and Fantastic Four characters being complicated but doable (IceIX said there were more hoops to jump through for some of the characters). It would also explain why they can't get Namor properly licensed, though, as IceIX said - Universal controls Namor's film rights, but isn't interested in making a movie. As such, they're not going to have anyone in charge of licensing rights for him, and the devs would run into a wall trying to get their approval.

Note: that's a guess. I've been trying to figure out the licensing issues with this game for a while, and we got a bunch of new facts on it around when the Thing came out.

re: Namor,

Universal had film and distribution rights for a long time. It's believed that Marvel may have film rights back, but no-one's really saying anything. Universal let movie rights lapse after Hulk, but still distributed Incredible Hulk, so there's some precedent for separation of film and distribution.

On top of all that, we have to remember that Namor is a mutant, so there's actually a chance that he'd go to Fox if Universal do let him go. Marvel could just be trying to keep him permanently tied up in limbo rather than let Fox have him.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    I believe when it comes to character usage rights, Film Studios aren't the only ones D3P/Demiurge has to deal with. I think sometimes they even have to deal with individual artists or syndicates for certain characters.
  • Mawtful wrote:
    On top of all that, we have to remember that Namor is a mutant, so there's actually a chance that he'd go to Fox if Universal do let him go. Marvel could just be trying to keep him permanently tied up in limbo rather than let Fox have him.

That's not how the right work, according to pretty much everything I've read so far. When the contracts were signed, all existing characters were divvied up formally, and Fox only got rights to mutants introduced after the contracts went into effect. Namor will revert back to Marvel if he hasn't already.
  • Sullstar
    Sullstar Posts: 74 Match Maker
    I don't think D3 have to get any rights for characters whose film rights are owned by others. Unless products are direct film tie-ins (e.g. A Human Torch in the game styled on Michael B. Jordan), I'm pretty sure Marvel still own the merchandise and image rights to things based off of comic likeness.

It's more likely what Hurcules said, getting consent from the original character creators or artists of artwork they want to use/model the character after. It's probably difficult if these writers/artists were fired or left Marvel not of their own accord
  • Sullstar wrote:
    I don't think D3 have to get any rights for characters whose film rights are owned by others. Unless products are direct film tie-ins (e.g. A Human Torch in the game styled on Michael B. Jordan), I'm pretty sure Marvel still own the merchandise and image rights to things based off of comic likeness.

It's more likely what Hurcules said, getting consent from the original character creators or artists of artwork they want to use/model the character after. It's probably difficult if these writers/artists were fired or left Marvel not of their own accord

I'm trying mainly to figure out why Namor would be particularly difficult to license, which IceIX said was the case. Namor was created by Bill Everett, who died more than 40 years ago, so it shouldn't be tied to creator rights, since that was before any of the companies were doing anything to retroactively award rights to the original creators. Namor's weird licensed status would make sense, and it would also explain why the Fantastic Four were harder to license than the MCU characters, since there's the additional hoop to jump through. I don't think the devs have to license them seperately, but they might have to get approval for anything featuring the characters.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Sullstar wrote:

I'm trying mainly to figure out why Namor would be particularly difficult to license, which IceIX said was the case. Namor was created by Bill Everett, who died more than 40 years ago, so it shouldn't be tied to creator rights, since that was before any of the companies were doing anything to retroactively award rights to the original creators. Namor's weird licensed status would make sense, and it would also explain why the Fantastic Four were harder to license than the MCU characters, since there's the additional hoop to jump through. I don't think the devs have to license them seperately, but they might have to get approval for anything featuring the characters.

not sure if this helps

http://screenrant.com/marvel-namor-submariner-movie-rights/
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Can't someone just upload the poster of all the Marvel characters and their specific licensing spheres, instead of us guessing and giving false info? lol.

I'd do it myself, but I dunno how to upload from my phone.
  • TLCstormz wrote:
    Can't someone just upload the poster of all the Marvel characters and their specific licensing spheres, instead of us guessing and giving false info? lol.

The problem there is that it doesn't fully spell out the problems with the Universal-licensed characters like Namor and Hulk. Universal can't go out and make a Hulk or Namor film on their own, but they do have some sort of residual distribution rights for solo films with them.
  • TLCstormz wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZJ1jm89u0M
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Upcoming PVP
    Thor
    Hood
    IronFist

season award: Jean Grey
    Welcome to the final epic conclusion to today's Deadpool's Daily Quest! Pit your Four-Star character against a bitter rival in a One on One duel. It's a contest of chumps! UNLEASH THE DAKENNNNNN!
  • turul wrote:
    Upcoming PVP
    Thor
    Hood
    IronFist

Welcome to the final epic conclusion to today's Deadpool's Daily Quest! Pit your Four-Star character against a bitter rival in a One on One duel. It's a contest of chumps! UNLEASH THE DAKENNNNNN!
    iron fist PVP? maybe u should check for an iron fist nerf, i'm scared.....we never have iron fist rewards or events!!!!
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    TLCstormz wrote:

The problem there is that it doesn't fully spell out the problems with the Universal-licensed characters like Namor and Hulk. Universal can't go out and make a Hulk or Namor film on their own, but they do have some sort of residual distribution rights for solo films with them.

The Namor situation is very similar to the situation with The Hobbit from a rights/distribution perspective.

The downside is Disney/Marvel probably don't believe a Namor movie is such a potential blockbuster that it is worth the effort to work out these issues.

All it will take to change that thinking is a successful Aquaman movie.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    iron fist PVP? maybe u should check for an iron fist nerf, i'm scared.....we never have iron fist rewards or events!!!!

IF nerf confirmed. The Hood tournament will surely gimme the covers I need to max him out, and that's exactly when all the good characters get nurfed icon_lol.gif
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 806 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    Upcoming PVP
    Thor
    Hood
    IronFist

That is great news that will make the 4* transition much smoother.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2015
    turul wrote:
    Upcoming PVP
    Thor
    Hood
    IronFist

Whoa, is that spoiler our 4* farm we have been dreaming of?????

also, if Thor gives a hood black for T100... i may finally finish my Hood. Turul, you have given us hope..
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Purple IF purple IF purple IF purple IF....

(It doesn't even have to be T100, I only need the one!)

Also HELL YEAH at that spoiler. I mean, maybe. Anybody else think the prize there might be a Legendary Token like turul posted about a few pages back, rather than a guaranteed 4*?
This discussion has been closed.