[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• Haven't used X enough to comment. But Hulkbuster doesn't need a nerf. He's not unbeatable at all and he's hardly doing SS pre nerf damage without a lot of red.
    doesn't mattter whether we think they deserve a nerf or not, we already know about the anti-professor x character
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    As someone who consistently uses Fistbuster to hit 1300 in PVP, HB is by no means unbeatable. However, what he does do is reduces the amount of usable characters in PVP. The strike tiles, the instantly usable Repulsor Punch, the huge HP; these all limit the characters that honestly can be used, and lead to a centralised metagame which we're already seeing at the higher levels of PVP. To promote diversity in characters, this leaves D3 with two possible options:

- Nerf HB, OR

- Buff other characters.

The only real way to buff characters into being usable alongside HB is to increase HP across the board again, which indirectly nerfs so many other characters whose power isn't along the lines of the top tier characters, as it makes it much harder for them to get any KO's. Unfortunately, to promote diversity, the only real way to do this is actually to nerf HB. Now, whether the actual problem is HB or IF is another issue altogether, as without a consistent black battery, HB becomes much worse and slower, which is what I would believe was the original view for Hulkbuster: a slow, tanky powerhouse. As much as I love Hulkbuster, I can understand the need for a nerf if diversity is indeed what they hope to promote.

I can't vouch for the nerf-worthy stature of Prof, as I only use mine in PVE, but I would argue that he is more the problem in teams including him. In these teams, he's the one adding additional rules onto the game by adding huge benefits to crits, rather than the characters who create the crits. However, with the incoming character who is nothing but an absolute check for Prof, I feel that any nerf of him is fairly unnecessary.
  • - Nerf HB, OR

- Buff other characters.
    there's also elo/character bans
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    raisinbman wrote:
    - Nerf HB, OR

- Buff other characters.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "elo", are you able to explain?
  • raisinbman wrote:
    - Nerf HB, OR

- Buff other characters.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with "elo", are you able to explain?
    lots of games use bans....DOTA 2, https://www.urban-rivals.com/game/rules.php?show=elo http://www.reddit.com/r/summonerschool/ ... n_low_elo/

particularly in "ranked"(in this game I guess that'd be PVP), certain characters are banned, either temporarily or permanently. This of course is subject to change. In other games(particularly ones where you skirmish against another group) the players choose bans for that particular match.

Before weekly character buffs, I imagined D3 could use an ELO ban system based on voting/some other parameter. I think vote would be the most important feature, and it would be weekly, then the next week, the character couldn't be banned if they were banned in the previous week. the benefit of this system is we don't have to wait for D3 to buff or nerf something...we can just vote that character out of comission. That way the most cancerous characters(as seen by the players) could be voted off, and it would encourage D3 to make them more reasonable so that they wouldn't be banned.

Of course, D3 has already made their decision with weekly buffs....
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    They could just change him from black to another color so he doesn't combo with Iron Fist.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos wrote:
    They could just change him from black to another color so he doesn't combo with Iron Fist.

Yeah. Black doesn't really fit the mold of that ability. It would be more appropriate as either Green (lots of Strike tile generation tied to green) or Purple (generally purple converts tiles to gain AP, however Kingpin does use it to generate directly to the AP pool).
  • Thanos wrote:
    they could've, but they didn't do that for Mystique and instead made her utter ****,

why start now?
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    29wr4vq.jpg Anyone know why this is uploaded to D3's site? https://d3go.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    xdogg wrote:
    Anyone know why this is uploaded to D3's site? https://d3go.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/

Most likely, it was for the interview on the blog.
    https://d3go.com/interview-marvel-puzzl ... -fletcher/
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks, thought maybe they were changing something
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    As someone who consistently uses Fistbuster to hit 1300 in PVP, HB is by no means unbeatable. However, what he does do is reduces the amount of usable characters in PVP. The strike tiles, the instantly usable Repulsor Punch, the huge HP; these all limit the characters that honestly can be used, and lead to a centralised metagame which we're already seeing at the higher levels of PVP. To promote diversity in characters, this leaves D3 with two possible options:

- Nerf HB, OR

- Buff other characters.

The only real way to buff characters into being usable alongside HB is to increase HP across the board again, which indirectly nerfs so many other characters whose power isn't along the lines of the top tier characters, as it makes it much harder for them to get any KO's. Unfortunately, to promote diversity, the only real way to do this is actually to nerf HB. Now, whether the actual problem is HB or IF is another issue altogether, as without a consistent black battery, HB becomes much worse and slower, which is what I would believe was the original view for Hulkbuster: a slow, tanky powerhouse. As much as I love Hulkbuster, I can understand the need for a nerf if diversity is indeed what they hope to promote.

I can't vouch for the nerf-worthy stature of Prof, as I only use mine in PVE, but I would argue that he is more the problem in teams including him. In these teams, he's the one adding additional rules onto the game by adding huge benefits to crits, rather than the characters who create the crits. However, with the incoming character who is nothing but an absolute check for Prof, I feel that any nerf of him is fairly unnecessary.

They just need to make Fist's purple produce fewer black tiles for 6 purpletile.png AP. Fist produces more tiles per AP than any other character in the game. Either make his purple cost 9 AP like any other similar ability, or make it produce two fewer tiles at maximum.

I loved seeing the fistbuster combos back in the Cyclops PvP. 10 redtile.png AP fried IF in one shot. Full Blast fried Cyclops in one shot. Usually you had to take one repulsor punch before you could take down HB.

When the featured doesn't have a devastating attack, fistbuster gets a bit stronger. It was quite manageable in the Torch event, less so in the Loki event.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    raisinbman wrote:

I had an idea for a Balance of Power event that actually had a flexible buff/nerf system built in. Every eight hours your slice gets evaluated to see which characters have been used on the winning teams of every match since the event started.

As a character gets used more by winning teams, that character's level would get adjusted down. Characters that have not been used would get their level adjusted up. For the sake of this event, assume that health, match damage, and all skills would be affected during the event.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

I had an idea for a Balance of Power event that actually had a flexible buff/nerf system built in. Every eight hours your slice gets evaluated to see which characters have been used on the winning teams of every match since the event started.

As a character gets used more by winning teams, that character's level would get adjusted down. Characters that have not been used would get their level adjusted up. For the sake of this event, assume that health, match damage, and all skills would be affected during the event.
    I don't have the data to peer through, but my first thought is the characters who could use the 'debuff' the most like IF or IMHB or PX - won't get used enough to matter. I mean I look at my alliance - not a top 100 one - and you're talking 'no max 4s' and 'mostly 3*s with some 4s and 2s scattered in'. You'd see Stormneto nerfed before any of the heavy hitters. You'll see Thor or OBW hit before any 4. The 4s you see at the top seem prominent because at the top there are fewer targets, but - again this is without real back up, just my view - in general there are fewer maxed 4s than folks act.
    - Unreall
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Thanos wrote:
    they could've, but they didn't do that for Mystique and instead made her utter ****,

why start now?

I would expect that instead of nerfing the 4* that folks have to pay 2500 HP for covers which are rare to achieve, they would nerf the 3* that folks have to pay 1250 HP per cover but they are also given away much more often in covers and they are in DDQ rotation.

I've seen the 4* run alongside the 3* many, many times when the person running the 270 HB also has the 270 PX/XF/GT/KP option out there. I think that points to the bigger problem, and D3 has in the past nerfed the character that everyone has (Cmags, Mystique) rather than the character many fewer have maxed (PX) - since that means folks keep buying the 4* covers.

I also think that we hear lots of HB complaining because more have him covered (as he had multiple covers rewarded in Ultron, a season cover, a cover from gauntlet, covers from Ultron tokens...) than have Carnage or Thing. If we saw those two at 270 everywhere, I think the complaints would be directed elsewhere.
  • SnowcaTT
    Turul - I was popping in here to try to find the post where you say it's time to start hoarding tokens, it must be hidden under a spoiler tag, went back to page 123 and couldn't find it.

This was before Thing was introduced - was this a comment just suggesting we should hoard to try for Thing (and/or Antman?)

This was also around the time higher draw rates were mentioned - was this instead a comment suggesting draw rates would be increased soon? Is this increase still coming or is it replaced by legendary tokens?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    IMO, the prevalence of Fistbuster in the last week or two is more attributable to both being buffed than meta-shattering.

Most of my personal run through God of Lies was old school XF/4Thor. IMHB was there, but limited.

In the weeks where neither are buffed, I see way more of the boosted characters.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Turul - I was popping in here to try to find the post where you say it's time to start hoarding tokens, it must be hidden under a spoiler tag, went back to page 123 and couldn't find it.

This was before Thing was introduced - was this a comment just suggesting we should hoard to try for Thing (and/or Antman?)

This was also around the time higher draw rates were mentioned - was this instead a comment suggesting draw rates would be increased soon? Is this increase still coming or is it replaced by legendary tokens?

I suggested hoarding for the next expected character - but true, there were other valid reasons too.
  • SnowcaTT
    turul wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

I suggested hoarding for the next expected character - but true, there were other valid reasons too.

Hrm...should I parse? "were" other valid reasons, so no longer "are" any valid reasons? icon_e_wink.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    turul wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Hrm...should I parse? "were" other valid reasons, so no longer "are" any valid reasons? icon_e_wink.gif

Token pull odds already improved, thats why the past tense
This discussion has been closed.