[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    Peej13 wrote:
    (PASSIVE) When the opponent makes a Match 5, --- destroys up to ??? AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for ??? turns and deals ??? damage to them.
    Transforms a chosen basic tile into a colorless %NumTurns-turn Countdown tile. This tile cannot be matched and does not move. Every turn it consumes the %NumTiles tiles adjacent to it, dealing damage and generating AP.

1. Rogue, from the third picture (with the original x-men). Rogue steals power, knocks the person out, and hurts them.
    2. Silver Surfer. Colorless = Silver.
    3. Falcap. I hate it. This is a combo of Cap's yellow and Falcon's purple.
    4. Nightcrawler. You think you're hurting him and then *BAMF* you get hurt.

1. I think this is unlikely to be Rogue. The passive triggers on the enemy team's action - they don't even have to be targeting this character with the match-5 - and it stuns the whole enemy team, not just the character who made the match.

I'm inclined to go with Medusa, as was also suggested earlier, although it still feels like an outside chance.

2. Colourless tiles consuming adjacent tiles. My first thought was this would be in a cross/plus shaped pattern, echoing the starburst icon that Nova wears. However it could very easily be a great representation of the Power Cosmic weilded by the Silver Surfer.

3. Falcap. Definitely Falcap.

4. I see these fake countdowns as being illusions, so maybe Dr. Strange or Fantomex. If Medusa felt like an outside chance, Fantomex is just completely off the radar. Inhumans are the new hotness, so Medusa at least has that going for her.

Well, Medusa is the only character in this article not be in the game, so....

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... ro-edition
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor

Well, Medusa is the only character in this article not be in the game, so....

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... ro-edition

I saw that and thought (apparently) the same thing.... Definitely looks like there's more of a chance that one of these is Medusa today than there was yesterday....
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    Pet peeve: can we stop with the "OMG I can't believe they're releasing another 4*" stuff? If you put five minutes of thought into it, you'll see that's just a ridiculous comment.

There are FORTY 3* characters in the game right now. Four. Tee. That's more than all of the 1*, 2* and 4* characters COMBINED. There are 14 4*s (including Ant-Man), and that counts Devil Dinosaur, who's not really a "real" character. The percentage of players who are in the 3-4* transition or the 4* development phase increases every week. If those players don't have a next "level" to play for, they'll drop the game for lack of anything to do.

So yes, I'd expect that probably 80% of the characters introduced in the next six months will be 4*s. Because that's the "raiding tier" right now. Adding more 3*s does not move the game forward in the way it needs to be moved forward. It would be like WoW adding level 50 content -- it's nice, and some people might use it, but it's not going to sell expansions for them.

So please, for the love of Pete, let's stop with the "4*s are coming too quickly!" stuff. 4* is the development tier now. Accept it, and adjust accordingly.

/rant off
    i agree, but only if we consistantly get ways to get 4*. Yes, they've added ways to get 4*, but we don't know how consistently(outside of PVP, top prizes, PVP sim) they'll be offered.
    turul wrote:
    Remember that the abilites I hinted before are for 4 different characters individually!

i dunno they all sound like shuma gorath to me icon_e_wink.gif
    Der_Lex wrote:

With Loki, you get a (granted, at L5 brief) chance to get rid of at least some of his countdown tiles.
    Cap Marvel, Hulk and Thing (and Deadpool, for that matter) you can actively manage by watching your damage output until you can finish them off in one blow.

Hood is the only character that's directly comparable because it's indeed impossible to do anything against his blue short of killing or stunning him, but that's also why it's always been one of the more controversial powers in the game. The same goes for the auto-tiles of Cage and Fist. Another comparable power would be Quicksilver's blue, which forces you to avoid making blue matches while he's around, although the 'penalty' for not doing this is only team damage, not team damage AND AP loss AND team stun.

I would also put this power in the category of Carnage's black and She-Hulk's green: powers that have little to no use on offense, but are very frustrating to play against when the AI has them. I think that any power in a game like this that actively makes the game less fun and more frustrating for an active player (as in the person who is playing the game at that moment) is an example of poor design that's better off being left out. Being a D&D geek, I tend to compare this kind of design to a DM countering wizard characters by having an encounter take place in an anti-magic field, which renders all spellcasting and magic impossible: sure, it's effective, but it also leaves you with a frustrated player at the end of the evening who could do tinykitty all because you completely took away the one thing that is central to his character.

I do realize this is a matter of personal opinion, of course, but I don't see any positive play experiences coming from this power when the Ai will only trigger a match-5 once in a blue moon, yet players will have to worry about accidentally triggering a match-5 whenever there's a cascade, and will have a generally more limited play experience when facing this character.

defense sucks in this game and much like MTG we need some counters

disagree shulkie's green has use on offense

the positive effect of this ability is I'll have a decent defensive character
    Malcrof wrote:
    i need an iso farm badly!

This is a major problem in the game right now, imo. And every 4* release makes it worse (+366K to max). I have a fairly well developed roster and a nice bank of ISO, but I'm still 1.5M short and I'm losing ground. I don't know how a newer player is expected to even be enticed by the 4* tier.

Once I was solidly in the 3* tier, I felt like I basically rotated 2-4 characters at the bottom of my roster to be built up (fully covered, fully leveled if desired). By the time a new one was released, one of those at the bottom was done. It was a nice carrot on a stick that I'd never catch. I'm 2 bullseye covers from having a complete 3* tier right now. My 4* tier (outside xf/iw/nf/4hor who all have been around for quite a while) has lingered in a largely incomplete status for months. The only reason my imhb is covered is because I used HP to buy a couple black covers and I got stupid lucky on that 10 pack compensation they gave out for his release in the ultron event.

I dunno, I can see where Ben is coming from. The 4* tier is feeling more and more like a money-tier, because the time factor (whether ISO collection or cover collection) feels grossly excessive. And if that's what it's going to take to make serious progression there, I'll probably lose interest too.

I'd agree if I actually had characters I "needed" to spend Iso on. Granted, I haven't moved to 4* land, but in 3* land I stick to the same 5-10 characters and don't really need to level any more. But I do.

Maybe they should make a 4* deadpool daily node that just awards iso. It would have to be sufficiently hard so 1* 2* 3* players can't just do it with a loaner
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Maybe they should make a 4* deadpool daily node that just awards iso. It would have to be sufficiently hard so 1* 2* 3* players can't just do it with a loaner

Well, they just made a template for it, that's for sure. I have an inkling that after the 30 days are up, that may just become our 4* DDQ type event. (ant-man)
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Malcrof wrote:

This is a major problem in the game right now, imo. And every 4* release makes it worse (+366K to max). I have a fairly well developed roster and a nice bank of ISO, but I'm still 1.5M short and I'm losing ground. I don't know how a newer player is expected to even be enticed by the 4* tier.

Thing is, it is actually much cheaper to take a 4* from 70 to 166 than it is to take a 3* from 70 to 166. I mean, it doesn't even get into the 1,000 ISO per level range until 150.
  • Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Thing is, it is actually much cheaper to take a 4* from 70 to 166 than it is to take a 3* from 70 to 166. I mean, it doesn't even get into the 1,000 ISO per level range until 150.
    yeah but a 4* @ 166 < 3* @ 166
    - Unreall
  • Malcrof
    Buret0 wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

yeah but a 4* @ 166 < 3* @ 166
    - Unreall

Not always, i can take my 1/4/3 IMHB and my 4/3/1 X-Force to 166 and they would not outshine any of my 3*'s
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    @Malcrof, unless I'm reading Unreal's post poorly, I think you just agreed with him. He's saying the 4* is less than the 3* at equivalent levels.

I think a more apt comparison is taking a 3* from 40 to 166 is about the same ISO cost as taking a 4* from 70 to 200. Power levels seem to be in the same ballpark by then as well.

I've probably derailed the speculation thread enough, sorry. icon_redface.gif I'll go back to lurking this thread for juicy information, thanks Turul and other leakers! icon_e_ugeek.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Malcrof wrote:
    Not always, i can take my 1/4/3 IMHB and my 4/3/1 X-Force to 166 and they would not outshine any of my 3*'s

Depends what you need.

My 156 Hulkbuster already has over 10,000 health and can generate 7 Red tiles with his five blue covers and 5 Red AP with his black covers. Unboosted, that still makes him a huge tank and battery.

My 166 PX is generating 4 AP and doing 3,762 with his blue passive. His Blind Spot boosts 2 friendly tiles by 98 (though he doesn't tank many colors unless I'm careful). Psychic Convergence tiles average 60 points, which isn't great, but they are free and can be boosted. If I overdo his level, I can't configure whose AP I want to generate with Master Plan.

My 3/3/5 Carnage is 166 and has almost 10,000 Health unboosted. He can do up to 8,900 damage with his green and does 1809 + 851*2 with his Red. That's not that scary on D (until I get two more Red covers), but I've used it quite well when working with tile boosters, healers, and strike tile generators.

I'm not going to take my 4*s up passed 166 until my 3* roster is well covered and is all sitting in the 130 to 150+ range.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    When I see "releasing more 4*s, guys!!!!!" all I see is "mwahaaahahah $$$$$$!!!!!"

Anyone EXCITED for that are almost always veterans who are completely out of touch with what it's like to gave joined this game within the last 6 months.

Anyways, I will literally jump for joy if Medusa truly is one of the upcoming characters. It's a shame that she was not in Marvel VS. Capcom, but being in here is a good start for both she and Black Panther.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,329 Chairperson of the Boards
    TLCstormz wrote:
    When I see "releasing more 4*s, guys!!!!!" all I see is "mwahaaahahah $$$$$$!!!!!"

Anyone EXCITED for that are almost always veterans who are completely out of touch with what it's like to gave joined this game within the last 6 months.

It's ok, we vets have our own cross to carry. One of their main components is dealing with the entitled complaints of the rookies who are completely out of touch with what it's like to have played this game for almost two years.
  • Malcrof
    @Malcrof, unless I'm reading Unreal's post poorly, I think you just agreed with him. He's saying the 4* is less than the 3* at equivalent levels.

I think a more apt comparison is taking a 3* from 40 to 166 is about the same ISO cost as taking a 4* from 70 to 200. Power levels seem to be in the same ballpark by then as well.

I've probably derailed the speculation thread enough, sorry. icon_redface.gif I'll go back to lurking this thread for juicy information, thanks Turul and other leakers! icon_e_ugeek.gif

That makes 2 times yesterday i read something wrong and ended up sounding like an idiot.. Me no reed to gud .. on days when i actually have to work while i am at work.

but yes, apparently i agreed with him in a spectacularly fail way.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dunno, I can see where Ben is coming from. The 4* tier is feeling more and more like a money-tier, because the time factor (whether ISO collection or cover collection) feels grossly excessive. And if that's what it's going to take to make serious progression there, I'll probably lose interest too.

Ditto here. I'll be continuing to raise my 3*'s (which are almost all at 140 already), but have only two 4*'s up high - why go for more? The game seems to be going more PTW with the rarity of 4* and difficulty on iso-leveling: having the "correct" buffed 4* each week means you practically have to whale it.

More spoilery (maybe?), I put over here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31265 Marvel nudes on ESPN (so, tasteful?) - future covers? icon_lol.gif

Edit - and that's up above in a post as well, bah! icon_e_smile.gif
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    upcoming PVPs
    Cyclops
    Loki
    Torch
  • Malcrof
    turul wrote:
    upcoming PVPs
    Cyclops
    Loki
    Torch

Finally, 3 in a row i have max covered.. not max leveled, but whoop, i get to be lazy!
  • Malcrof wrote:
    turul wrote:
    upcoming PVPs
    Cyclops
    Loki
    Torch

Finally, 3 in a row i have max covered.. not max leveled, but whoop, i get to be lazy!

While I'm saying "finally, three characters I have and want covers for."

This week's gonna be a grind.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I'm the outlier here, but I really want a Bullseye PvP.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    upcoming PVPs
    Cyclops
    Loki
    Torch
    Meh
    Meh
    Meh
    Are we ever going to see IF?
  • fmftint wrote:
    turul wrote:
    upcoming PVPs
    Cyclops
    Loki
    Torch
    Meh
    Meh
    Meh
    Are we ever going to see IF?
    overpowered characters dont get to be prizes until they're nerfed...usually(See: Magneto, Sentry-kinda)

also fun fact: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =525685444
  • so I should've brought it here earlier...but someone in general said we have 1* rag and 1* thor coming. Looks like they deleted the post.

Any thoughts, o wise ones?
This discussion has been closed.