[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Comments

• Der_Lex wrote:
    That passive is crazy. I feel it should at least create a countdown tile like Loki's for one or all of the effects.
    hard counter for professor x I like it, anti-ultron goon I like it
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Was just wondering if you saw any mention of Yellowjacket in the code, thought it would be cool if they made him a villian in the upcoming Antman event.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    That passive is crazy. I feel it should at least create a countdown tile like Loki's for one or all of the effects.

I'm not a fan of an always-on ability that instantly punishes the entire opposing team for a basic move that can (and will) happen by accident as well. At least with Loki, you can try and do a little damage control if what would normally be a lucky cascade gets you a match-4 or match-5.

How much of a hard counter against Prof X it will be will probably depend mostly on how beefy the character will be. One stun team-up and a decisive tactics will get rid of any character with less than 10k HP (or less than 120K during weeks in which X is buffed).
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Peej13 wrote:
    (PASSIVE) When the opponent makes a Match 5, --- destroys up to ??? AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for ??? turns and deals ??? damage to them.
    Transforms a chosen basic tile into a colorless %NumTurns-turn Countdown tile. This tile cannot be matched and does not move. Every turn it consumes the %NumTiles tiles adjacent to it, dealing damage and generating AP.

1. Rogue, from the third picture (with the original x-men). Rogue steals power, knocks the person out, and hurts them.
    2. Silver Surfer. Colorless = Silver.
    3. Falcap. I hate it. This is a combo of Cap's yellow and Falcon's purple.
    4. Nightcrawler. You think you're hurting him and then *BAMF* you get hurt.

1. I think this is unlikely to be Rogue. The passive triggers on the enemy team's action - they don't even have to be targeting this character with the match-5 - and it stuns the whole enemy team, not just the character who made the match.

I'm inclined to go with Medusa, as was also suggested earlier, although it still feels like an outside chance.

2. Colourless tiles consuming adjacent tiles. My first thought was this would be in a cross/plus shaped pattern, echoing the starburst icon that Nova wears. However it could very easily be a great representation of the Power Cosmic weilded by the Silver Surfer.

3. Falcap. Definitely Falcap.

4. I see these fake countdowns as being illusions, so maybe Dr. Strange or Fantomex. If Medusa felt like an outside chance, Fantomex is just completely off the radar. Inhumans are the new hotness, so Medusa at least has that going for her.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    turul wrote:
    next PVP's: Thing, Cyclops
    4* releases in row

I think the next one will be 3*, and will be released nearly the same time as Ant-Man 4*, which will be earnable by PVE progression.

(But 4* possibility is quite high too)

Hey Turul, are you saying Ant-Man will be PVE progression in the next event? As in, 13k points: Ant-Man yellow?
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    turul wrote:
    I already want this character. Can you tell us which image this goes with?

I wont tell, instead i give tell one power for each character picture hint.
    (PASSIVE) When the opponent makes a Match 5, --- destroys up to ??? AP in their strongest color, stuns the enemy team for ??? turns and deals ??? damage to them.
     Transforms a chosen basic tile into a colorless %NumTurns-turn Countdown tile. This tile cannot be matched and does not move. Every turn it consumes the %NumTiles tiles adjacent to it, dealing damage and generating AP.

All of these could be Dr Strange. The "transform every tile into protect tiles" Is very much The Eye of Agomotto. It can only ever be used in defense. That is explicitly written. I'm comfortable calling one of the upcoming characters Dr Strange. I'm happy to be 25% correct.
  • Der_Lex wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

I'm not a fan of an always-on ability that instantly punishes the entire opposing team for a basic move that can (and will) happen by accident as well. At least with Loki, you can try and do a little damage control if what would normally be a lucky cascade gets you a match-4 or match-5.

How much of a hard counter against Prof X it will be will probably depend mostly on how beefy the character will be. One stun team-up and a decisive tactics will get rid of any character with less than 10k HP (or less than 120K during weeks in which X is buffed).
    we already have that in the form of loki hulk cap marvel hood Thing
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    raisinbman wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Der_Lex wrote:

we already have that in the form of loki hulk cap marvel hood Thing

With Loki, you get a (granted, at L5 brief) chance to get rid of at least some of his countdown tiles.
    Cap Marvel, Hulk and Thing (and Deadpool, for that matter) you can actively manage by watching your damage output until you can finish them off in one blow.

Hood is the only character that's directly comparable because it's indeed impossible to do anything against his blue short of killing or stunning him, but that's also why it's always been one of the more controversial powers in the game. The same goes for the auto-tiles of Cage and Fist. Another comparable power would be Quicksilver's blue, which forces you to avoid making blue matches while he's around, although the 'penalty' for not doing this is only team damage, not team damage AND AP loss AND team stun.

I would also put this power in the category of Carnage's black and She-Hulk's green: powers that have little to no use on offense, but are very frustrating to play against when the AI has them. I think that any power in a game like this that actively makes the game less fun and more frustrating for an active player (as in the person who is playing the game at that moment) is an example of poor design that's better off being left out. Being a D&D geek, I tend to compare this kind of design to a DM countering wizard characters by having an encounter take place in an anti-magic field, which renders all spellcasting and magic impossible: sure, it's effective, but it also leaves you with a frustrated player at the end of the evening who could do tinykitty all because you completely took away the one thing that is central to his character.

I do realize this is a matter of personal opinion, of course, but I don't see any positive play experiences coming from this power when the Ai will only trigger a match-5 once in a blue moon, yet players will have to worry about accidentally triggering a match-5 whenever there's a cascade, and will have a generally more limited play experience when facing this character.
  • While stunning a team is a strong ability (most likely coded to 'end the turn' - not stun the next move), what if the AP and dmg are real low so that the effect is really just "Opposing Team Makes a Match 5, 'sdgsdgfs' ends turn, collects the 5 AP, does 1k dmg"

Is it strong, yes, but its not breaking.
    - Unreall
  • I know everyone is saying Falcap for the protect tile power, but what if its Iceman? I could see him turning all blues to protect tiles as an ability.
  • Sullstar
    Sullstar Posts: 74 Match Maker
    edited July 2015
    Alexraven wrote:
    I know everyone is saying Falcap for the protect tile power, but what if its Iceman? I could see him turning all blues to protect tiles as an ability.

Iceman is a decent shout. Either the colourless countdown tile could represent ice or the "Creates 'fake' countdown tiles which deal damage when destroyed in any way." from the code could be 'frozen' or 'freeze' tiles.

Even though he's Omega level, Iceman has a 3* feel to me
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Remember that the abilites I hinted before are for 4 different characters individually!
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Pet peeve: can we stop with the "OMG I can't believe they're releasing another 4*" stuff? If you put five minutes of thought into it, you'll see that's just a ridiculous comment.

There are FORTY 3* characters in the game right now. Four. Tee. That's more than all of the 1*, 2* and 4* characters COMBINED. There are 14 4*s (including Ant-Man), and that counts Devil Dinosaur, who's not really a "real" character. The percentage of players who are in the 3-4* transition or the 4* development phase increases every week. If those players don't have a next "level" to play for, they'll drop the game for lack of anything to do.

So yes, I'd expect that probably 80% of the characters introduced in the next six months will be 4*s. Because that's the "raiding tier" right now. Adding more 3*s does not move the game forward in the way it needs to be moved forward. It would be like WoW adding level 50 content -- it's nice, and some people might use it, but it's not going to sell expansions for them.

So please, for the love of Pete, let's stop with the "4*s are coming too quickly!" stuff. 4* is the development tier now. Accept it, and adjust accordingly.

/rant off
  • DaveR4470 wrote:
    Pet peeve: can we stop with the "OMG I can't believe they're releasing another 4*" stuff? If you put five minutes of thought into it, you'll see that's just a ridiculous comment.

There are FORTY 3* characters in the game right now. Four. Tee. That's more than all of the 1*, 2* and 4* characters COMBINED. There are 14 4*s (including Ant-Man), and that counts Devil Dinosaur, who's not really a "real" character. The percentage of players who are in the 3-4* transition or the 4* development phase increases every week. If those players don't have a next "level" to play for, they'll drop the game for lack of anything to do.

So yes, I'd expect that probably 80% of the characters introduced in the next six months will be 4*s. Because that's the "raiding tier" right now. Adding more 3*s does not move the game forward in the way it needs to be moved forward. It would be like WoW adding level 50 content -- it's nice, and some people might use it, but it's not going to sell expansions for them.

So please, for the love of Pete, let's stop with the "4*s are coming too quickly!" stuff. 4* is the development tier now. Accept it, and adjust accordingly.

/rant off

I get that, but "adjust" to me means "drop to a casual alliance" because collecting 4* covers is a lot more boring than collecting 3* covers. Collecting 4* covers boils down to "do I feel like pushing to 1000 or not?" and they pretty much only come from PVP. 3* covers come from a few different places, and missing out on a cover doesn't blow your chances for the next three to five months.

I'm starting to get tired of pushing to 1000 in PVP. It's not hard enough to be an interesting challenge, and it's not easy enough to feel consistently worth the effort. If the game is moving to 4* only, it may be time for me to become a casual player.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:

I get that, but "adjust" to me means "drop to a casual alliance" because collecting 4* covers is a lot more boring than collecting 3* covers. I'm starting to get tired of pushing to 1000 in PVP. It's not hard enough to be an interesting challenge, and it's not easy enough to feel consistently worth the effort. If the game is moving to 4* only, it may be time for me to become a casual player.

The collection of 4* feels slower definitely. But why is it more boring? I don't quite understand why it feels more boring.

Pushing to 1000 can be harder or easier than getting top 5. Sometimes in a crew shard or x-men shard it's easier to get 1000 and 1300 than getting top 5. Sometimes it's harder cos the slice is dry.

Is it because you prefer pve than pvp? If so then I can understand the lack of variety in pvp... But I will also emphasize that the pvp is more fun nowadays because of the weekly boosted characters.

3* covers come from a few different places, and missing out on a cover doesn't blow your chances for the next three to five months.

Actually missing out on 1 or 2 covers of 4* doesn't affect people much at all. Think about it, the pve after the 4* release is not that important, cos the rewards are usually old 3* covers. So you don't really need him for essential. In the first 4* pvp, most people use loaners so you don't disadvantage yourself too much any way.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Der_Lex wrote:
    With Loki, you get a (granted, at L5 brief) chance to get rid of at least some of his countdown tiles.
    Cap Marvel, Hulk and Thing (and Deadpool, for that matter) you can actively manage by watching your damage output until you can finish them off in one blow.

Hood is the only character that's directly comparable because it's indeed impossible to do anything against his blue short of killing or stunning him, but that's also why it's always been one of the more controversial powers in the game. The same goes for the auto-tiles of Cage and Fist. Another comparable power would be Quicksilver's blue, which forces you to avoid making blue matches while he's around, although the 'penalty' for not doing this is only team damage, not team damage AND AP loss AND team stun.

I would also put this power in the category of Carnage's black and She-Hulk's green: powers that have little to no use on offense, but are very frustrating to play against when the AI has them. I think that any power in a game like this that actively makes the game less fun and more frustrating for an active player (as in the person who is playing the game at that moment) is an example of poor design that's better off being left out. Being a D&D geek, I tend to compare this kind of design to a DM countering wizard characters by having an encounter take place in an anti-magic field, which renders all spellcasting and magic impossible: sure, it's effective, but it also leaves you with a frustrated player at the end of the evening who could do tinykitty all because you completely took away the one thing that is central to his character.

I do realize this is a matter of personal opinion, of course, but I don't see any positive play experiences coming from this power when the Ai will only trigger a match-5 once in a blue moon, yet players will have to worry about accidentally triggering a match-5 whenever there's a cascade, and will have a generally more limited play experience when facing this character.

It is the developers answer to Master Plan. When you make a match five with PX in play, what do you get?

1) An extra turn (though this does not require PX);
    2) 4 AP in your strongest color; and
    3) Big damage on your opponent's front character.

This counter does:

1) Stuns the whole team, thus negating the extra turn. I'm guessing that your team will therefore recover immediately after your opponent acts, rather than giving your opponent an extra turn.
    2) Destroys (I'm guessing) 4 AP in your strongest color, negating the 4 gained by Master Plan.
    3) AoE damage, which when added together would probably equal Master Plan level damage or just a bit under it. I'm saying under it because AoE damage can quickly be magnified with strike tiles.

A true counter would have healed the front character that took the Master Plan damage, but that healing ability probably didn't fit in with the character design.

Why is this character necessary? Well, instead of nerfing PX's Master Plan, they have decided to give the players a counter to it for Defense. Master Plan's ability to cause heavy damage and grant AP allowed him to be involved in an automatic win infinite combo. The developers have decided that instead of nerfing PX on offense, they have given you something on D to negate the automatic win.

Now they just need a passive that protects against Whales. Maybe like a looney toons giant umbrella? Maybe wielded by one of the Deadpool universe characters?
  • Headpool chops them up with his propeller... icon_mrgreen.gif Probably not strong enough to be his own character so I'm going to say 4* Deadpool Corps FTW! icon_eek.gif
  • atomzed wrote:
    The collection of 4* feels slower definitely. But why is it more boring? I don't quite understand why it feels more boring.

Because PVP is boring. It's gotten less boring than it used to be, but it's still the same boring game mode, where most of the teams are identical, where you will lose points from fights you weren't involved in, where luck is more important than anything else.

And getting 4* covers through PVP is incredibly slow, and gets slower with every new character. I need nine covers for my Kingpin. Nine for Professor X. I may not have either one finished inside of a year. And if they keep adding 4*s, it might be two years. With progress being that slow, I'm not getting any satisfaction out of completing characters.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    atomzed wrote:

Because PVP is boring. It's gotten less boring than it used to be, but it's still the same boring game mode, where most of the teams are identical, where you will lose points from fights you weren't involved in, where luck is more important than anything else.

And getting 4* covers through PVP is incredibly slow, and gets slower with every new character. I need nine covers for my Kingpin. Nine for Professor X. I may not have either one finished inside of a year. And if they keep adding 4*s, it might be two years. With progress being that slow, I'm not getting any satisfaction out of completing characters.

understood, but they are definitely working on a true 4* progression now instead of just doling them out to the elite.

I expect 4*'s to become even easier to get as time goes by and more are available. If this Ant-man event works out, they have a template for a 4* DDQ , done deal template.

As i only have 5 lvl 166's, i am still transitioning, so 4*s when i get them, yipeee! but i need an iso farm badly! But, i am getting 4* covers more frequently, so a future 4* transition feels like a real thing now.

Only issue i see is this.. 40 3*'s, now 14 4*s.. at this pace, the 1kHP per roster slot cap is going to get hit quickly.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Malcrof wrote:
    i need an iso farm badly!

This is a major problem in the game right now, imo. And every 4* release makes it worse (+366K to max). I have a fairly well developed roster and a nice bank of ISO, but I'm still 1.5M short and I'm losing ground. I don't know how a newer player is expected to even be enticed by the 4* tier.

Once I was solidly in the 3* tier, I felt like I basically rotated 2-4 characters at the bottom of my roster to be built up (fully covered, fully leveled if desired). By the time a new one was released, one of those at the bottom was done. It was a nice carrot on a stick that I'd never catch. I'm 2 bullseye covers from having a complete 3* tier right now. My 4* tier (outside xf/iw/nf/4hor who all have been around for quite a while) has lingered in a largely incomplete status for months. The only reason my imhb is covered is because I used HP to buy a couple black covers and I got stupid lucky on that 10 pack compensation they gave out for his release in the ultron event.

I dunno, I can see where Ben is coming from. The 4* tier is feeling more and more like a money-tier, because the time factor (whether ISO collection or cover collection) feels grossly excessive. And if that's what it's going to take to make serious progression there, I'll probably lose interest too.
This discussion has been closed.